Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 PM #1
pballbeast
I Kill for Vengeance

has been a member for 10 years
Review of Baller's Arena- It's long!

I wanted to check out this new field and see if they had done anything to revolutionize the paintball industry. By the way I'm in no way affiliated with them as you will see by my suggestions near the end.

They did a great job! The field is pretty close to a full size NPPL field. It might even be full size. Either way the turf is very interesting. It's not like the turf you see at NPPL. There are no blades of grass. That's a good think though in this situation. The turf resembles a scrubbing pad with interweaving fibers that are about an inch thick. This makes for a good surface that never seemed slippery at all but I could slide on it just fine. I was amazed. Even the NPPL turf gets slippery and that stuff costs a bundle.

The field layout was well done. The refs were decent. I mean what can you expect? There were four refs most times it seemed.

The proshop was fairly nice though I didn't do any shopping. People seemed pretty enthusiastic about the merchandise but again I wasn't looking for anything so I didn't really browse much.

There is a full arcade which I wasn't too worried about entering because I was there to play paintball after all. There is also a little lounge that has some comfy looking chairs in it with a flat screen tv on the wall. The bathrooms were clean in the morning. There was plenty of seating everywhere as well as a full cafe type area. The layout was fairly well thought out. I was gettting 4k fills all day, once I found the right fill station (more on that later) Near the fill stations there was plenty of cleaning supplies which was very nice.

The negatives- check in was a bear. They didn't have that worked out at all. At least not for a large amount of people. I doubt that there is normally this problem since there was an extraordinary amount of people there for the grand opening. It was a little excessive for one field to handle and until noon it took about 20-30 minutes to get on the field. In the afternoon it quieted down some.

The airstations were not marked very thoroughly, at least for people that weren't looking. By this, I mean that it was not obvious that they had a 4500 psi fill station until someone mentioned that the one on the complete opposite side of the field was 4500. A sign would have been nice and I think that most of the people there who rented guns or who were knew to the sport may not have known what side to use. Luckily most of the people were using the 3k side and I didn't see any tanks blow up.

The thing that really killed the day was the paint; it was half black and half white shells. Some people didn't have a problem with this but I shoot a cocker with reflective eyes. A lot of halo users were extremely frustrated as well. This was a big mistake on their part since it is Field Paint Only. I don't think I shot more than 6bps all day. I definitely would have shot 3-4 times as much paint though, so maybe it was a good thing. The paint also seemed a little bit brittle for my liking. If you have FPO then you might want to go with something a little on the thicker side just so people don't complain about it breaking in their gun. I'd rather bounce someone then shoot shrapnel out of my gun all day.

After talking with the manager I found out that they had a lot of this paint. It might not be super fresh. They also realize their mistake and are going to fix it. That's a good sign. At least they are willing to improve.

Overall - great field, nice staff and well maintained facilities. There are a few growing pains they will have to overcome but if they do I'll be out there a lot - though the paint is quite pricey on any other day. It might be nice to be able to bring white paint if you pay a fee so that you can shoot what you like. That is always helpful - and they wouldn't have to keep such a large stock of paint on hand. (i.e. it would turnover quicker and be fresher for customers) Just some thoughts and helpful suggestions.

Thanks to Peter and his staff for a thoroughly enjoyable day of paintball. Hope this helps.

~Chris Chin

Last edited by pballbeast : 01-26-2008 at 10:35 PM.
pballbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2008, 12:59 PM #2
D3cAy
lollerskates

115 miles from my apartment.

They only have one field right?
D3cAy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM #3
bigdaddyreg
Im doing 10 in the nation

bigdaddyreg is a Supporting Member
bigdaddyreg supports Cereal Killerz 2
bigdaddyreg donated to help Peyton Trent
bigdaddyreg owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
bigdaddyreg supports our troops
bigdaddyreg is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3cAy View Post
115 miles from my apartment.

They only have one field right?
One field yes, and it is 170 miles from my house, still love the field

I have expired infractions that are older than most members of PBNation
bigdaddyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 AM #4
pballbeast
I Kill for Vengeance

Hey I just saw an ad for Baller's today on tv. Nice job. Good to see some paintball ads on tv finally.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 AM #5
claytonowns
thats what she said

im going to phoenix over spring break, i think ima gonna check this place out, its like 20 miles from my hotel so not bad
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM #6
gondortrooper

I talked to warrant (the owner) and why he was selling the paint half off that saturday was to get rid of all of the crappy paint, hopefully it will be replaced with something better.
gondortrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:31 AM #7
toop

^^ Yup, that's what he told me too. I had 2 bags left after the grand opening and wasn't allowed to re-use them because they want everyone to buy the rest of that paint.

Just played there this Saturday again and had a great time once again. No where near as many people as the grand opening. Ref's were all cool...even teams...let some of the younger kids be "team captains" to choose teams. Definately going to be my home field.
toop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:38 AM #8
gondortrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toop View Post
^^ Yup, that's what he told me too. I had 2 bags left after the grand opening and wasn't allowed to re-use them because they want everyone to buy the rest of that paint.

Just played there this Saturday again and had a great time once again. No where near as many people as the grand opening. Ref's were all cool...even teams...let some of the younger kids be "team captains" to choose teams. Definately going to be my home field.
Hey, i was there yesterday too. I'll PM you.
gondortrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:35 PM #9
pballbeast
I Kill for Vengeance

I forgot to add something - I would love to see something more reasonable than a year long membership. I personally can't afford to play every weekend of the year. If you did it would be something like less than 10 bucks a week for entrance but still with the fact that you have to buy $60 cases of paints you are talking about $3,500 a year (1 case per day which I could possibly use more). Again the paint cost is prohibitive - if it was half the price or BYOP then you would be getting a good deal. The only way to get a good amount of use out of a membership would be to play nearly every week. If you only play every other week then you would not be getting much of a deal. Just something that would make me want to play there more often.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 PM #10
toop

That's exactly what I thought about when I was standing at the counter and reading their "membership" paper. I bet they'll add a lil more to the membership sooner or later..
Old 02-05-2008, 12:53 AM #11
WARRANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondortrooper View Post
I talked to warrant (the owner) and why he was selling the paint half off that saturday was to get rid of all of the crappy paint, hopefully it will be replaced with something better.
i'm not the owner (i know its hard to tell on the forums), so i never said that . . . (just to make things clear), . . . just call the arena to check on what paint, when, etc . . . 480-668-7868

Last edited by WARRANT : 02-05-2008 at 12:55 AM.
WARRANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM #12
Lil Roundhouse
Actually Jan '06

Lil Roundhouse plays in the PSP
Lil Roundhouse supports Cereal Killerz 2
Lil Roundhouse is an NCPA player
You should have the owner read all the complaints on the black shells. Other than that, the field was very nice!

DYE APD
ByF8th D2
RIP 23 :(
Lil Roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:54 PM #13
toop

I think he knows....which was why paint was 50% off ... to try and get rid of everything.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 AM #14
pballbeast
I Kill for Vengeance

I didn't see an email to contact them at. Does anyone have one? Particularly for Peter or the owner?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 AM #15
Pod Clepto v.2
catchy phrase goes here

Only one or two of their refs actually play.
Pod Clepto v.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM #16
redc5vette

its a pretty nice setup i think, would be alot better if some better players came out but i havent gone on a saturday or sunday yet so maybe ive been on the wrong days lol
redc5vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM #17
toop

Quote:
Originally Posted by redc5vette View Post
its a pretty nice setup i think, would be alot better if some better players came out but i havent gone on a saturday or sunday yet so maybe ive been on the wrong days lol
X2. I think the majority of the "skilled" players go to 23 on Saturdays.... I was at Ballers (this sat) and it was pretty busy...but mostly rentals/bday parties.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:11 PM #18
pballbeast
I Kill for Vengeance

should get a group of people together and see if we can get group discounts that way we can get some experienced players - they don't even have to be teams. This would behoove them because it will draw those players from 23bps who wouldn't consider going to ballers. Like I said before if the paint and admission weren't so steep it would be a no brainer.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 PM #19
toop

Yeah that'd be cool...I'd be down for that. I bet regulars at 23 will be coming out to ballers once the temp starts raising.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 AM #20
xx DoNt Sh0oT

ballers is ok but like somone said there isnt anyone that good and on sundays is when the good players go to 23 cause thats the team games

yankees cant stop are bats.
xx DoNt Sh0oT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:19 PM #21
redc5vette

i already tried talking to them about just a very small sponsorship, and they just ignored me, ive played for a d3 team and have two other guys that played d2 and d3, so not sure what kind of deal we would be able to get with them, i only asked for free field fee and cost on paint, and we would put their name on thr front of the jerseys, so im pretty much done with them i might go back here and there to goof off since its no joke like 10 mintues from my house lol
redc5vette is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups