Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-23-2008, 07:22 PM #1
Truthiness

Jose Padilla

Josť Padilla (born October 18, 1970), also known as Abdullah al-Muhajir or Muhajir Abdullah, is a United States citizen convicted of aiding terrorists. Padilla was arrested in Chicago on May 8, 2002, and was detained as a material witness until June 9, 2002, when President Bush designated him an illegal enemy combatant and transferred him to a military prison, arguing that he was thereby not entitled to trial in civilian courts. However, on January 3, 2006, he was transferred to a Miami, Florida, jail to face criminal conspiracy charges. Josť Padilla was found guilty of all charges against him on August 16, 2007, by a federal jury, which found that he conspired to kill people in an overseas jihad and to fund and support overseas terrorism. He was scheduled to be sentenced on December 5, 2007, but his sentencing was postponed to January, due to the death of a family member of the Judge who will sentence him

I just read an article in my newspaper about him. The above is from wikipedia, but it is the same information as reported in the newspaper, essentially.

How can a United States citizen be held for three years without charge? I was told that "enemy combatant" status could only apply to foreigners. Apparently that's not true.

Revoking habeas corpus is one step too far.
Truthiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM #2
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Who needs Habeas Corpus?
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 PM #3
LegacyWins

has been a member for 10 years
Isn't that high treason?

Execute him.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 PM #4
EY3
one love

by constitutional law as a citizen he is innocent until proven guilty and has the right to habeus corpus.

of course youre thinking "who cares? he was found guilty!" a lot of people dissagree with the evidence, but the issue is how could they label him as guilty and imprison him for 3 years without trial? a US citzen held in prison for 3 years without trial. this could happen to any US citizen.

Last edited by EY3 : 01-23-2008 at 08:16 PM.
EY3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:17 PM #5
Truthiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyWins View Post
Isn't that high treason?

Execute him.
I've got no problem with executing him, but holding United States citizens without a charge is even higher treason.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:26 PM #6
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthiness View Post
I've got no problem with executing him, but holding United States citizens without a charge is even higher treason.
You're absolutely right. President Bush has no respect for due process. Where is the supreme court and legislature during all of this? What a useless government we have.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 PM #7
Truthiness

What's even more astounding to me is that no one gives a ****.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 PM #8
Pickle Suprise

Quote:
What's even more astounding to me is that no one gives a ****.
You're correct, most people in this country, aside from the card carrying members of the ACLU, don't give two ****s about someone who wanted to kill his fellow countryman. This guy is lucky he wasn't dragged out to the nearest wall and shot, as what he did is treason, and had we not been so concerned with being so pc about things nowadays, he would have at any other point in time.
Pickle Suprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 PM #9
berserker19

At the very least citizens should be terrified about the dangerous precedents being set..
Old 01-24-2008, 07:31 AM #10
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
At the very least citizens should be terrified about the dangerous precedents being set..
Just ignore Pickle.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:18 AM #11
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyWins View Post
Isn't that high treason?

Execute him.
You need to be very careful when accusing people of treason. Technically, ever single person who has ever protested against anything the government has ever done is guilty of at LEAST sedition, and in many cases outright treason. While Mr. Padilla may in fact be guilty of treason (not arguing he isn't really), accusing him of such in relation to this particular war is going to be a difficult charge to make stick given how many people think it's a load of garbage these days. The conspiracy charge is a far easier one to pursue.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:48 PM #12
homer901

Quote:
How can a United States citizen be held for three years without charge? I was told that "enemy combatant" status could only apply to foreigners. Apparently that's not true.
This is not unprecedented. It happened durring WWII which the article below points out. The article also outlines his "travel" through the legal system.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118773278963904523.html

STR8 RIPPIN
homer901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM #13
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Suprise View Post
don't give two ****s about someone who wanted to kill his fellow countryman
Did you honest to god miss the point by THAT much? How???

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:53 PM #14
bnctaj

Quote:
*coughs and mutters something about the Civil War*
Old 01-24-2008, 06:11 PM #15
Truthiness

Quote:
You're correct, most people in this country, aside from the card carrying members of the ACLU, don't give two ****s about someone who wanted to kill his fellow countryman. This guy is lucky he wasn't dragged out to the nearest wall and shot, as what he did is treason, and had we not been so concerned with being so pc about things nowadays, he would have at any other point in time.
Are you so goddamned retarded that you really don't understand the problem?

Are you really so thick that you think I'm defending Jose Padilla?

Did you UNDERSTAND THAT A UNITED STATES CITIZEN WAS HELD WITHOUT CHARGE FOR THREE YEARS?

In this country, we believe in INNOCENT BEFORE PROVEN GUILTY. If you don't agree with that, get the **** out of here, I'm sure Russia would be happy to have you.

No **** Jose Padilla is a scumbag. That's OBVIOUSLY not my point. Do I need to bold AND italicize things for you? Perhaps I should underline them and increase the font size as well?

HE WAS HELD WITHOUT CHARGE. As in, before he was convicted of these things, he was held for three years, without charge. He is a United States Citizen.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 PM #16
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
Its not about political correctness, its about due process. Everyone gets it, the government can't play favorites. Its not like its such a huge trillion dollar burden to give a man due process...

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 PM #17
berserker19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
You need to explain further if your going to mention something with such far reaching implications as the civil war. Also, I question the relevance of anything that happened in a completely different era, when very different thoughts, beliefs, and values governed our nation.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 PM #18
berserker19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnctaj View Post
You need to explain further if your going to mention something with such far reaching implications as the civil war. Also, I question the relevance of anything that happened in a completely different era, when very different thoughts, beliefs, and values governed our nation.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 PM #19
Truthiness

Quote:
Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus to prevent Southern loyalists in the Northfrom distributing propaganda and/or influencing people in a way that would be harmful to the North's war efforts.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:41 PM #20
EY3
one love

then **** lincoln. thats the same as the alien and sedition acts.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 PM #21
berserker19

Quote:
Lincoln suspended Habeas Corpus to prevent Southern loyalists in the Northfrom distributing propaganda and/or influencing people in a way that would be harmful to the North's war efforts.
My point is I think it's hard to compare today's government with the one that existed 150 years ago. We're supposed to learn from our mistakes, right? I would like to think we've made some strides towards justice since those dark days.

edit: BTW Lincoln was a republican... so it all makes sense