Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM #85
Hammersmith
O&A Party Rock!

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysk83 View Post
The problem of all that hammersmith is sadly enough we aren't serious about breaking our foreign dependency on oil, all we hear is rhetoric from Washington about it but no action, oh wait, what else is new?
Agreed but it's the only realistic approach at this point, too bad no one realizes it.
Atlas Paintball Park
R7
OSK
Hammersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2008, 10:38 PM #86
AR55
conch shell warrior

AR55 is a Supporting Member
Well when China set's up a few drills in the Gulf with the resulting leak to occur within 6 months afterwards I think we will wise up then.
AR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM #87
Paintbawler1

the solution

Here is my idea of solution. Use many clean sources of energy. Nuclear, solar, wind, tide, wave, hydro, etc. There is no single technology that is going to release us from our dependence on foreign oil. The other part of that is use very efficient electric cars like this one:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2Ke1VWhZJA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2Ke1VWhZJA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This car can run on pure electric power by plugging into to your home grid, or can use gasoline to run a small motor that turns a generator to create electricity. Either way is very efficient and cheap to run. This way our vehicles will use the power that we create here in the U.S.
Paintbawler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM #88
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
That what I always wondered, we need an electric car you can plug in while you sleep that can get a few hundred miles per charge, but has a small gas generator for if you are running low on electricity while on the road.

The sad part is the technology is there to produce a car like that at low costs but special interests won't allow it to happen.

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence economic, political, even spiritual is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
tonysk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:22 PM #89
Paintbawler1

This car is going on the market this year in 2008, and then the remainder of the country in 2009 I believe. I don't know if it mentioned this in the video or not but its also going to sell in the sub-30k range. Not too bad considering that this is going produced by a small firm with low economies-of-scale and all the creature comforts you get. The government and automotive industry need to work together to solve our problem of foreign oil dependence. The government should implement an energy strategy that is uses less fossil fuels to power our electric grids, and the auto manufactures need to start producing more plug-in hybrids. The change has begun with new cars like the Volt and the Aptera. We can build it, we have the technology!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 PM #90
debo08080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintbawler1 View Post
Here is my idea of solution. Use many clean sources of energy. Nuclear, solar, wind, tide, wave, hydro, etc. There is no single technology that is going to release us from our dependence on foreign oil. The other part of that is use very efficient electric cars like this one:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2Ke1VWhZJA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p2Ke1VWhZJA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This car can run on pure electric power by plugging into to your home grid, or can use gasoline to run a small motor that turns a generator to create electricity. Either way is very efficient and cheap to run. This way our vehicles will use the power that we create here in the U.S.
out of curiosity where do you say we should obtain all the extra electricity needed to use these cars?

also, anyone know how safe these are?
debo08080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:02 PM #91
NorCalBaller88
iFap

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo08080 View Post
out of curiosity where do you say we should obtain all the extra electricity needed to use these cars?

also, anyone know how safe these are?
You didn't read his post.

Modern nuclear technology is the way to go.
France does it. France ****ing rules.

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:56 PM #92
hmmmDonut
Life fails **

hmmmDonut is a Supporting Member
Quote:
That what I always wondered, we need an electric car you can plug in while you sleep that can get a few hundred miles per charge, but has a small gas generator for if you are running low on electricity while on the road.

The sad part is the technology is there to produce a car like that at low costs but special interests won't allow it to happen.
No. We need an electric car that can travel hundreds if not thousands of miles on one refill. As the infrastructure will likely never be in place to allow for quick recharging it would be more plausible to have very long lasting batteries that have to be recharged at normal intervals like an oil change.

Replace the gas generator with solar panels.

I don't care for the zero emissions crap. I want 1000lb torque at 0.00rpm's.
hmmmDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM #93
Craig Niland

Quote:
Has anyone read this book? I just finished it up and I am having a hard time disagreeing with this guy, someone help me figure out where his plan doesn't work.

Basically the author, world renowned engineer Robert Zubrin is saying that the government should very soon mandate all cars in the U.S. be flex fuel vehicles. He says in the book any car can become flex fuel with under 500 dollars in parts. If we do this we can stop funding the Saudis who are the true enemy we are fighting in the middle east. Our farmers here at home can grow the corn we need to produce ethanol so we can run all of our cars off of e85.

The book spends a lot of time dealing with how the Saudis are the worst people over the middle east and how our unending funding of oil money to them is fueling them to support terrorist organizations.

He also talks about Brazil and how they are starting the policy he wants to have our own government enact and how successful it has been.

What do you guys think of this plan?

Corn isn't dense enough in energy. I think the figure is even is my state; PA, planted corn across every square inch of the state is would only produce 1/5 the energy needed.
For anybody who's watched an Inconvenient Truth, I can't believe how few people there are in our country who are aware of global warming and rising ocean levels. Estimates were saying that by 2050 the oceans could rise as much as 20 feet; that would but millions, dare I say billions of people out of their homes.
Does anybody see this as a problem? Paying well over $3.00 for gas should be the least of our worries if your home is under water. Why hasn't the government put more money into alternative energies?
My parents bought a solar water heater for our house in the 80's I believe. Still there, I think they even got a tax incentive for it too. Interesting how those tax incentives seemed to die away despite an increasing need for alternative energy. *cough cough big oil*
Then what about gas? Everybody was in shock when it hit $3.60 post Katrina, which was a load of B.S. that the oil companies used as an excuse to rape people further on prices. Now, (bearing in mind gas was what, $2.30 or so this time last year) gas is an even $3.00 and expected to keep climbing.... On account of what?
Now we're going through a "recession", prepare to bend over and get F***ed by the long hard D*** of OPEC.

Oh, and right on about Nuclear; my Dad was an operator at TMI after the near melt down, in addition to having been an operator on the Navy's nuclear subs before TMI. It's the way to go; tons of energy with practically 0 negative effects. But people are too freakin retarded to see that and are afraid of it blowing up like Chernobyl.

Last edited by Craig Niland : 01-30-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Craig Niland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM #94
RockingTheIon70 (Banned)
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Niland View Post
Corn isn't dense enough in energy. I think the figure is even is my state; PA, planted corn across every square inch of the state is would only produce 1/5 the energy needed.
For anybody who's watched an Inconvenient Truth, I can't believe how few people there are in our country who are aware of global warming and rising ocean levels. Estimates were saying that by 2050 the oceans could rise as much as 20 feet; that would but millions, dare I say billions of people out of their homes.
Does anybody see this as a problem? Paying well over $3.00 for gas should be the least of our worries if your home is under water. Why hasn't the government put more money into alternative energies?
My parents bought a solar water heater for our house in the 80's I believe. Still there, I think they even got a tax incentive for it too. Interesting how those tax incentives seemed to die away despite an increasing need for alternative energy. *cough cough big oil*
Then what about gas? Everybody was in shock when it hit $3.60 post Katrina, which was a load of B.S. that the oil companies used as an excuse to rape people further on prices. Now, (bearing in mind gas was what, $2.30 or so this time last year) gas is an even $3.00 and expected to keep climbing.... On account of what?
Now we're going through a "recession", prepare to bend over and get F***ed by the long hard D*** of OPEC.

Oh, and right on about Nuclear; my Dad was an operator at TMI after the near melt down, in addition to having been an operator on the Navy's nuclear subs before TMI. It's the way to go; tons of energy with practically 0 negative effects. But people are too freakin retarded to see that and are afraid of it blowing up like Chernobyl.
1. Al Gore is not a scientist, he's a hypocrite, a joke, and a liar. I can elaborate on why, if you'd like.

2. It's the Saudis, not the oil companies, who are raising the prices. For each gallon of gas, the oil companies make a few cents at most. So even if Exxon Mobil, Conoco Phillips, and BP were to make zero profit, the price of gas would be $2.73 instead of $2.77. The reason these companies make such large quarterly profits is just because we buy so damn much of it.
RockingTheIon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM #95
Paintbawler1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmDonut View Post
No. We need an electric car that can travel hundreds if not thousands of miles on one refill. As the infrastructure will likely never be in place to allow for quick recharging it would be more plausible to have very long lasting batteries that have to be recharged at normal intervals like an oil change.

Replace the gas generator with solar panels.

I don't care for the zero emissions crap. I want 1000lb torque at 0.00rpm's.
Except for getting hundreds of miles on one fill up, which this car and the Chevy Volt can do, the technology does not exist right now to do those other things. Photo voltaic cells can not produce enough electricity alone to completely power a vehicle (unless you consider those super-light, one-person, university-student-built contraptions) also, there are currently no batteries that could sustain that kind of charge. This could all change in the future, but the fact remains that we can the tech NOW to build vehicles and infrastructure to overcome our foreign oil dependence.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM #96
shocktrooper
no stinkin' Badges

nuclear power with electric cars and electric heating would eliminate most gas use with tech we have all but have today.
shocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 PM #97
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
Its actually making its way into the market right now.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM #98
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockingTheIon70 View Post
1. Al Gore is not a scientist, he's a hypocrite, a joke, and a liar. I can elaborate on why, if you'd like.

2. It's the Saudis, not the oil companies, who are raising the prices. For each gallon of gas, the oil companies make a few cents at most. So even if Exxon Mobil, Conoco Phillips, and BP were to make zero profit, the price of gas would be $2.73 instead of $2.77. The reason these companies make such large quarterly profits is just because we buy so damn much of it.
Wrong. Saudi's have said that oil should be $50-60 and anything above that is speculation: ie WALL STREET.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote