PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-23-2008, 01:20 PM #1
tonysk83

tonysk83 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Energy Victory: Winning the war on terror by breaking free of oil

Has anyone read this book? I just finished it up and I am having a hard time disagreeing with this guy, someone help me figure out where his plan doesn't work.

Basically the author, world renowned engineer Robert Zubrin is saying that the government should very soon mandate all cars in the U.S. be flex fuel vehicles. He says in the book any car can become flex fuel with under 500 dollars in parts. If we do this we can stop funding the Saudis who are the true enemy we are fighting in the middle east. Our farmers here at home can grow the corn we need to produce ethanol so we can run all of our cars off of e85.

The book spends a lot of time dealing with how the Saudis are the worst people over the middle east and how our unending funding of oil money to them is fueling them to support terrorist organizations.

He also talks about Brazil and how they are starting the policy he wants to have our own government enact and how successful it has been.

What do you guys think of this plan?

"This conjunction of an immense military establishment and a large arms industry is new in the American experience. The total influence economic, political, even spiritual is felt in every city, every Statehouse, every office of the Federal government. We recognize the imperative need for this development. Yet we must not fail to comprehend its grave implications."-Dwight Eisenhower
tonysk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 PM #2
NorCalBaller88
iFap

Wouldn't the economy get ****ed up if everyone went over to corn ethenol?

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM #3
Mosati
Lithic

****ing horrible plan.

Ethanol from corn is inefficient, and even if we used all available corn it would net us something like 12% of our current needs. Other methods of ethanol or biodiesel production are better (soybean/sugar); non food sources are better still (switch grass). Brazil is a small country, and they can pump out lots and lots of sugar without dipping in to the food-supply pot.

The fact remains, biofuels aren't a solid long term solution (taking in to consideration production needs).

Last edited by Mosati : 01-23-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Mosati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:58 PM #4
Oconnore
mmm Frogs

Nuclear power creates ZERO emissions, and could remove us from all oil dependence. Furthermore, with modernized reactor design, most nuclear waste can be recycled, and safety can be guaranteed.

Those 10,000 nukes of ours could help us win a war after all...
Oconnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM #5
paintballa42169

It would suck for the gas stations... and the car market.. trying to sell your car when everyone wants a vehicle running off of e85. Gas prices are already ridiculous, and the car market sucks as it is. So why not throw cars running off of e85 out there.. it's worth a try.
paintballa42169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:04 PM #6
NorCalBaller88
iFap

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballa42169 View Post
It would suck for the gas stations... and the car market.. trying to sell your car when everyone wants a vehicle running off of e85. Gas prices are already ridiculous, and the car market sucks as it is. So why not throw cars running off of e85 out there.. it's worth a try.
?

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 PM #7
paintballa42169

Oh my bad.. I misunderstood the point where he said with $500 you're able to make your vehicle 'flex fuel'. You can eliminate the part where I mentioned something about selling your current vehicles.
paintballa42169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM #8
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C

Has anybody watched the documentary "Who killed the electric car?"

It's very interesting and disturbing at the same time.

Anywho, I like where this guys head is at. By not being energy independent we are at the whim of the Saudi Arabians. If they wanted to, they could work with he chinese to completely ruin our country financially.

Next to tax reform, energy independence is my second highest concern politically.

Last edited by pbmike15 : 01-23-2008 at 04:28 PM.
pbmike15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 PM #9
Danegerous
is dangerous

Danegerous helped look for balloons
Corn isn't the answer, it's already overgrown and it would just encourage more farmers to grow more, but corn sucks nutrients out of the soil like you wouldn't believe. You say crop rotation is an answer, but there's no profit in that for farmers, so you expect them to take a hit? I wouldn't, but the environment would continue to take the hit as the current processes of creating ethanol from corn are just as inefficient as the carbon emissions of gas from cars.

Scientists are looking into some bacterial ways to produce ethanol, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that. Hydrogen is being pursued too, but the costs are a bit over the head of almost everyone currently.

I agree with Oconnore, we should turn more to nuclear power plants. Technology has advanced a lot from the time of 3 mile island, and we certainly don't do business like Russia did at Chernobyl, so I think it's a good alternative if we protected the plants sufficiently.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:25 PM #10
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Ethanol is not the answer.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM #11
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)
Don't Tax me, Bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
Ethanol is not the answer.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM #12
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Get the government out of energy. We could all have an electric car or 2 and not pay gas prices at all, if they didn't kill the electric car.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:27 PM #13
pbmike15
Truth with a capital C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
Get the government out of energy. We could all have an electric car or 2 and not pay gas prices at all, if they didn't kill the electric car.
They didnt kill it, just those who thought of it first. Chevy is coming out with a new electric car that runs on a lithium ion battery for 40 miles before switching to an alternative fuel source.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:34 PM #14
AR55
conch shell warrior

AR55 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmike15 View Post
They didnt kill it, just those who thought of it first. Chevy is coming out with a new electric car that runs on a lithium ion battery for 40 miles before switching to an alternative fuel source.
hmmm, how do they charge this battery? Is it really worth it vs the cheaper two gallons of gas? Unlikely.

We have nuclear energy, we need to implement the technology on a state by state basis. Either that or actually make cars efficient vehicles; the way cars are propelled, shaped, and powered is anything but cost effective.
AR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM #15
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmike15 View Post
I didn't watch the movie, but from what I've seen the electric cars had to literally be shredded into pieces. I never found out who was responsible or why though...

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:07 PM #16
graysonp
Me = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
Get the government out of energy.
The free market will determine what fuel source(s) consumers want and need.

Ethanol is a pipe dream. Personally, I think bio-diesel and/or synthetic diesel is the way of the future.
graysonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 PM #17
hmmmDonut
Life fails **

hmmmDonut is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
The free market will determine what fuel source(s) consumers want and need.

Ethanol is a pipe dream. Personally, I think bio-diesel and/or synthetic diesel is the way of the future.
I don't think diesel is the answer at all. Diesel has much more particulate emission than gasoline. Greenhouses gases aside, smog is already a huge problem in many US cities and a switch to Diesel would only make it worse.

I still think the Plug in Electric Vehicles are the best option we have. Nuclear powered infrastructure combined with electric cars would be cheap, efficient, and have almost no emissions. The only obstacle is battery capacity and to actually build new nuclear reactors.

Ethanol just won't work. Any attempt to harvest corn for fuel production will have an inverse effect on our food supply. Also Ethanol is inefficient, and burns about 1/4 quicker than gasoline. The only application that is excels at is race fuel.
hmmmDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 PM #18
graysonp
Me = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmDonut View Post
I don't think diesel is the answer at all. Diesel has much more particulate emission than gasoline. Greenhouses gases aside, smog is already a huge problem in many US cities and a switch to Diesel would only make it worse.
Diesel vehicles have the potential to be as clean as Hybrids. The 2008 diesel engines in pick-up trucks (from each of the big 3) are actually classified as "ultra-low emmisions vehicles".
graysonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:37 PM #19
hmmmDonut
Life fails **

hmmmDonut is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonp View Post
Diesel vehicles have the potential to be as clean as Hybrids. The 2008 diesel engines in pick-up trucks (from each of the big 3) are actually classified as "ultra-low emmisions vehicles".
Diesel engines still release more contaminants into the air. It would not work in many US cities.\

Greenhouses gases are not the issue. Diesel engines are notorious for their particulate emissions. Even modern "clean" diesel still release some nasty stuff into the air. If a majority of the US were to drive cars with diesel engines you would see a huge decrease in air quality.

Last edited by hmmmDonut : 01-23-2008 at 11:40 PM.
hmmmDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 AM #20
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

Ethanol is awful...

From what I've seen, the current methodology of producing ethanol in the United States consumes more gasoline than it produces ethanol. Apparently there are better methods, but other countries are doing it, not the U.S.

Biodiesel isn't a great solution either. It gels up real bad in cold weather. You could put all vehicles in warmer areas on biodiesel, and it's a start. It's just not a complete solution.

An alternative fuel I would focus on most is battery electric cars. Battery technology is only going to get better.

One last alternative fuel to mention is water electrolysis aka fuel cells.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:12 AM #21
strongboy2005
And the memory remains...

Nuclear power would totally end our dependence on foreign oil.
strongboy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote