PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2008, 03:57 PM #1
ninjarz (Banned)
I cheat at Pokemon

Seriously, all drugs should be legal

First, to get it out of the way, I don't do nor have I ever done drugs.

Just think about this:
If drugs were legal, crime would go way down, not just because the drugs that were once a crime are not anymore. The amount of crime that is committed due to illegal drug trade is ridiculous, it can all be stopped if drugs were legal. This would save so much tax money stopping the war on drugs, the police to catch the drugs, and the prison fees to pay for the people that would be in jail. Also, drugs aren't really that bad for you; heroin, made in the right circumstances (not by an underground drug lab), isn't even bad for you.

Sure, there are some bad things that will come of it, but the good outweighs the bad. We are just looking for the best solution, not the perfect solution.

What are your thoughts on this?
ninjarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM #2
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjarz View Post
First, to get it out of the way, I don't do nor have I ever done drugs.

Just think about this:
If drugs were legal, crime would go way down, not just because the drugs that were once a crime are not anymore. The amount of crime that is committed due to illegal drug trade is ridiculous, it can all be stopped if drugs were legal. This would save so much tax money stopping the war on drugs, the police to catch the drugs, and the prison fees to pay for the people that would be in jail. Also, drugs aren't really that bad for you; heroin, made in the right circumstances (not by an underground drug lab), isn't even bad for you.

Sure, there are some bad things that will come of it, but the good outweighs the bad. We are just looking for the best solution, not the perfect solution.

What are your thoughts on this?
No. Drugs cause addiction. Addication leads to poverty. Poverty leads to crime to get more drugs. You just taxed it but probably broadened the market. You also increase the burdeon on health care costs in doing so.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:59 PM #3
Bunkered89
Ride or Collide

Bunkered89 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Bunkered89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bunkered89 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
"War on Drugs" is probably the biggest failure in modern times. It has been nothing but mostly propaganda and scare-tactic-driven. Very little truths.

edit: Drugs cause addiction? Last I checked these substances are NOT addictive:

1. Marijuana
2. LSD
3. Psilocybin
4. MDMA/MDA/MDEA

I think that covers most of the Schedule I drugs. Most "addictive" drugs you speak of are already LEGAL, Jim. That includes Cocaine, opiates/opiods, alcohol and benzos (Xanax). Weird, how the most damaging and addictive ones are legal.

Last edited by Bunkered89 : 01-21-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Bunkered89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:02 PM #4
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
No. Drugs cause addiction. Addication leads to poverty. Poverty leads to crime to get more drugs. You just taxed it but probably broadened the market. You also increase the burdeon on health care costs in doing so.
Then make smoking and drinking illeagal too, since they do exactly what you just described.
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:03 PM #5
ninjarz (Banned)
I cheat at Pokemon

Quote:
Some drugs can cause addiction, but the drugs would be very available leaving less room for crimes to be committed. Also, drugs would likely be much cheaper, so it won't necessarily lead to poverty. The tax money saved from the war on drugs would be greater than the cost for health care.

Last edited by ninjarz : 01-21-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM #6
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkered89 View Post
"War on Drugs" is probably the biggest failure in modern times. It has been nothing but mostly propaganda and scare-tactic-driven. Very little truths.

edit: Drugs cause addiction? Last I checked these substances are NOT addictive:

1. Marijuana
2. LSD
3. Psilocybin
4. MDMA/MDA/MDEA

I think that covers most of the Schedule I drugs. Most "addictive" drugs you speak of are already LEGAL, Jim. That includes Cocaine, opiates/opiods, alcohol and benzos (Xanax). Weird, how the most damaging and addictive ones are legal.
Having a brain fart, but anything that causes the "good feeling" chemical release from your brain can be addictive. When did cocaine become legal? Perscription drugs arehardly"legal recreational drugs" because following that lineup horrible poisons are legal and administered too (chemotherapy), genetic malformaty (accutane), etc.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM #7
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus-the-virus90 View Post
Then make smoking and drinking illeagal too, since they do exactly what you just described.
Last time you heard of "booze houses" (crack house) or "tobacco den" (opium den).
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM #8
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
weakness causes addiction. if the retards who get addicted would use alittle self control there wouldnt be a problem.

legalize them all. people should be allowed to put whatever they want into their own bodies as long as they dont hurt anyone else. its the responsibility of the user to control themselves.
Planet Eclipse
G.I. Sportz
V-Force
Exalt
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM #9
Spritz!!!Spritz!!! (Banned)

Quote:
Last time you heard of "booze houses" (crack house) or "tobacco den" (opium den).
Uhh.. The Liquir Store?
Spritz!!!Spritz!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:31 PM #10
Bunkered89
Ride or Collide

Bunkered89 is a Supporting Member
Bunkered89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bunkered89 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Having a brain fart, but anything that causes the "good feeling" chemical release from your brain can be addictive. When did cocaine become legal? Perscription drugs arehardly"legal recreational drugs" because following that lineup horrible poisons are legal and administered too (chemotherapy), genetic malformaty (accutane), etc.
I am talking about PHYSICALLY addicting. The drugs that I mentioned are NOT physically addicting. They will not physically cause your body to become dependent and crave more, and start withdrawals when it doesn't get it. Now, you are talking about PSYCHOLOGICALLY addicting things. That is dependent totally on the person and not the drug. I know people that are "addicted" in this fashion to Paintball. My dad is "addicted" to photography. Should we ban those activities too?

Cocaine has been legal under medical uses for a long time, Jim. It is Schedule II. Prescription drugs are on the rise to being ABUSED recreationally out of any other drug. I know more people addicted(personal friends of mine) to Hydrocodone and Oxycodone(Vicodin and Percocets) than any other "hard drug." If you want, I will pull proof and studies to show that prescription drug abuse is a very huge problem. You know how easy it is for me to get a prescription for Vicodens? Please.

Ultimately MOST addiction is the sign of a personality disorder. Take a basic psychology class in college and you would know this. People who are likely to get addicted to drugs have this problem with anything they do in life. These are the people that tend to get obsessive over any activity or hobby they pursue.
Bunkered89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM #11
paint in blood

Quote:
True cannabis,MDxx,mushrooms,and lsd can cause addiction, but theyre all mental addictions. Once you stop thinking about it, the want goes away. Not to say this is any "better" than a physical addiction, but it is less damaging. To the thread starter, heroin is always bad for you no matter if its made in a basement or a lab. Even if a wealthy person became addicted to heroin it would be pretty obvious after a while.Im not trying to sound like the goverment, but would you really want methamphetamine legal?think about it.

Dont get me wrong i think drugs should be legal too, just not all of them. Thats the hard part about legalizing drugs. Who's to say Group A of drugs are OK, but Group B is bad. thats the problem we have now with alcohol and nicotine being legal. Everything should either be legal or illegal, but do the positives outway the negatives? i think not.Even though i think its rediculous that cannabis,MDxx,mushrooms, and lsd are illegal, i also think it would be rediculous for crack,pcp,meth,heroin,etc to be legal. And there lies the problem, there has to be equality across the board. drugs are drugs

Last edited by paint in blood : 01-21-2008 at 04:53 PM.
paint in blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:44 PM #12
ninjarz (Banned)
I cheat at Pokemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint in blood View Post
True cannabis,MDxx,mushrooms,and lsd can cause addiction, but theyre all mental addictions. Once you stop thinking about it, the want goes away. Not to say this is any "better" than a physical addiction, but it is less damaging. To the thread starter, heroin is always bad for you no matter if its made in a basement or a lab. Even if a wealthy person became addicted to heroin it would be pretty obvious after a while.Im not trying to sound like the goverment, but would you really want methamphetamine legal?think about it.
Yeah, heroin is physcially addictive, but it isn't really that bad for you. Sure you can overdose on it, but you could overdose on anything. If it was made cleanly and correctly, way less people would be physically hurt from it.

I would want it legal, it won't harm me at all.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 PM #13
zedtheundead

The fact that drugs cause addiction, poverty, crime, and crack whores is irrelevant when discussing the legality of it. How about the government has no right to tell you what you can and can't do to your own body.
zedtheundead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:53 PM #14
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Nah that makes too much sense. People who are sick need to be locked up, not treated for their illness.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM #15
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
The issue is not whether or not people should be doing drugs, its whether or not we should be locking up people who do do drugs. And you realize the tax revenue spent on keeping drugs illegal is astronomical right?

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM #16
As a Young Man
You Know It

Quote:
Last time you heard of "booze houses"
It's called a bar you ****ing retard.
As a Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:04 PM #17
paint in blood

Hahah
Old 01-21-2008, 05:08 PM #18
phiend
IV:XX

Because they cause addiction is a weak argument. If i stop drinking Mountain Dew I get head aches and very irritable for 2-4 days. Want to guess why? Caffeine withdraw. So should soda be illegal?
I can't stop smoking cigarettes. I've tried so many times. Even if I have another source of nicotine(patch and gum), so far I haven't been about to resist the urge. I realize people have been able to quit, and I have just not been strong enough yet, but thats how tough it truly is.
My best friends uncle was an alcoholic, heroin user that smoked cigarettes. He no longer uses heroin or drinks. He beat those habits yet still smokes cigarettes.
I've never considered the schedule I vs schedule II points brought up here, but they are absolutely true. Most schedule I is non addictive substances, while many schedule IIs have a strong likely of addiction with any amount of continued use. Thats not even touching on the fact that the scheduling itself is incorrect in some cases. A majority of citizens in at last 3 states have voted that Marijuana does in fact have some medical value. The doctors who prescribe it these states also agree it has some medical value. I am much more willing to accept a doctors opinion on the medical value of a substance then I am a career politician or a law enforcement professional. No offense to politicians and police, but how much formal education do you have in regards to chemicals and how they react with human biology? If its more then 4 years, I may considering listening.
phiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM #19
JcKa
post-Hipster

Actually, if you can successfully port the prohibition philosophy to hard drugs, you might see a similar after effect.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM #20
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

The argument for addiction isn't even an argument. The issue isn't whether or not people should do drugs, its what to DO to people who do drugs.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM #21
paint in blood

if thats the case. then we shouldnt do anything to people that do drugs. plain and simple