PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM #1
YoungWhiteGeezer
Dye Ultralite Cocker

Exclamation What do you think

Hey peeps im a ref working at a paintball field in Virginia and heres how it works for me anyhow...The owner pays all his refs 45 bucks a day under the table now take into account that we dont get free lunch or any minor thing for free and we dont get any discounts what so ever my work hours are from 8:30 a.m. to about 6-7 p.m....thats about a 9-10 hour work day so 45 bucks a day divided by that is about like what...$4.50 an hour when the minimum wage here is about 7 somethingso im getting screwed up my rear-end here...besides that point no1 has a W4 form that they sign and the owner only pays the head ref 9 bucks an hour and the other day i received a 1099 form sayin i owe 33% taxes on 950 bucks...so if thats true that im paying my own taxes that amounts to what...2 something an hour...so i didnt go to work today and my co workers are callin me telling me how its unacceptable to not be there working well to be honest im not gona work for $4.50 an hour and pay my own taxes hes paying illegally ad avoiding taxes so i have no plans on going back there what so ever unless he pays minimum wage and takes out taxes ad ss...do u think i am doig the right thing or the wrong thing i just want to know where people stand on this issue or is it just me that thinks this way because my co workers think im being to harsh to the owner so what do u think?
YoungWhiteGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM #2
KEFarris

has been a member for 10 years
KEFarris has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
you will need to file a wage complaint with your states labor department.
KEFarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM #3
kjbkjb9

kjbkjb9 is playing at Living Legends III
kjbkjb9 is for the Gunfight
kjbkjb9 is for the Gunfight
kjbkjb9 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
i would be pissed if i was you....i would ask that you pay my taxes.....give me paint and discounts as well as 450 an hour...or give me minimum wage

and threten to call the bbb...there website is bbb.com
kjbkjb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM #4
Shamron
Do Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbkjb9 View Post
i would be pissed if i was you....i would ask that you pay my taxes.....give me paint and discounts as well as 450 an hour...or give me minimum wage

and threten to call the bbb...there website is bbb.com
He probably doesnt make $4,000 a year so he doesnt pay taxes....but i would be pretty pissed. Were i work we get minimum wage which is 5.85 an hour. small discounts and no lunch.

Snake Player Gang Member
Shamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:10 PM #5
Biohaz4rd
@DanDriggs

Biohaz4rd plays in the PSP
wow that's crazy. He should ATLEAST include field entry and free air. And maybe 500 rounds.
Biohaz4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:15 PM #6
vi3telit3
Pow! Pow! Power Wheels

vi3telit3 helped look for balloons
This doesn't make sense....if you're getting money under the table, why are you getting taxed?? Did you happen to file the money on your tax form or something?
vi3telit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM #7
EZ Air

Don't like it, don't go back. Just that simple. Can't see why you are even discussing it here.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:22 PM #8
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

Ionic Moron helped look for balloons
Ionic Moron owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ionic Moron supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamron View Post
He probably doesnt make $4,000 a year so he doesnt pay taxes....but i would be pretty pissed. Were i work we get minimum wage which is 5.85 an hour. small discounts and no lunch.
Did you even read the first post? He pays taxes...
Ionic Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM #9
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

you're basically screwed. you can't go to the labor board and say, "hey, the guy was paying me under teh table......bla bla bla...." since that would make your intentions illegal. it seems he's labeled you 'contract worker' which you not only need to pay state and federal taxes from but all of your social security taxes as well. if you are a direct employee of a company, they pay 1/2 your social security taxes. since you are a contract worker, you must pay all your social security taxes. did you make any tips throughout the year? you must claim those as well. if he's done the same thing to your co workers, tell them this and see if they now think you're being to harsh. you've all been screwed

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:00 PM #10
FTW PAINTBALL

Here is my problem. You signed up for the deal. You allowed this to happen knowingly. You gave him your social security number. And now it is a problem, he did take advantage and you bent over to say please.
I suggest you get everyone to strike the place, march out front with signs or make a deal with the owner that is better than the first one you made.
Act like and adult and don't be stupid again.

Large 300 piece o-ring kits available
FTW PAINTBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:07 PM #11
notcockershooter
been reppin since 2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTW PAINTBALL View Post
Here is my problem. You signed up for the deal. You allowed this to happen knowingly. You gave him your social security number. And now it is a problem, he did take advantage and you bent over to say please.
I suggest you get everyone to strike the place, march out front with signs or make a deal with the owner that is better than the first one you made.
Act like and adult and don't be stupid again.
Eh Id already be out of there

How old are you again?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 PM #12
Minnesota111

Wrong forum.
Minnesota111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:43 PM #13
ICEMAN09
UCLA

thats messed i work at a store/field i get $10 an hour n e thing i buy i get the wholesale price nd i get free lunch drinks and air nd hes a hella cool guy ti work for
ICEMAN09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 PM #14
YoungWhiteGeezer
Dye Ultralite Cocker

im not stupid by far and im pretty smart so dot critisize me when u dont know all the facts ive given u most but not all and there was no signing up for anything it was free cash for the weekend and i did give him my ss due to the fact he said he was gonna pay our taxes and ss and FICA and what not but he also labled me as a self employed contracter so he lied to me and trust me ive reported him already no need im just asking your opinions on the matter weather u think im the bad guy or not the other employees seem to think so even though they been screwed to and they know it but they dont have the guts to say otherwise and dont critisize someone u dont know...so like i said the question is do u think im the bad guy for not goin into work or do u agree with my co workers?
and FTW PAINTBALL i am an adult and because he lied to me doesnt make me stupid

Last edited by YoungWhiteGeezer : 02-03-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:22 PM #15
FTW PAINTBALL

I am assuming you asked the Field / Shop owners what they thought. Your question not mine. I responded in an honest and fair manor. You need to not fall for scames like this again, ever. It is your job in life to care of your self and others around you. This is one of the oldest scams out since they started paying taxes. How did I know you gave him your social security number. Ya I am older and have seen people taken advantage of. You need to think past the weekend of free cash and start thinking long term in all your actions and how they can effect you long term. I am trying to help you, you seem like a great guy!!

And yes you take care of the other people and friends there even if they don't want you too, later in life you will be thankful you did.

Large 300 piece o-ring kits available

Last edited by FTW PAINTBALL : 02-03-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Let out
FTW PAINTBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 PM #16
TriCityHu$tla

TriCityHu$tla plays in the APPA D4 division
Who cares its your choice not ur co-workers if they wanna be dicks about it let them just know your not gettin screwed like they r if u quit

http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=375148

^^^^feedback^^^^
TriCityHu$tla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:33 AM #17
VApaintballer400
Business Instead of Game

VApaintballer400 is a Supporting Member
If we are talking about the field that I used to work for (Granted I made $60/day)....you are actually working as an independent contractor which if I am not mistaken somehow dodges wage laws.

I am entirely unfamiliar with the subject of wage laws so I may be wrong.

I never was asked to pay taxes though and only heard of 1 kid even getting a W2 (I worked their several years ago)
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 AM #18
KEFarris

KEFarris has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by VApaintballer400 View Post
If we are talking about the field that I used to work for (Granted I made $60/day)....you are actually working as an independent contractor which if I am not mistaken somehow dodges wage laws.

I am entirely unfamiliar with the subject of wage laws so I may be wrong.

I never was asked to pay taxes though and only heard of 1 kid even getting a W2 (I worked their several years ago)
I am very experienced in wage law. Referees can not simply be declared independent contractors. There are very specific rules about this. Fields that clasify their day to day referees as IC's are in for a world of hurt ($) when they get busted. They need to follow the law.
KEFarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 AM #19
autocockermike
GREED

autocockermike owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i reff all the fields i play at for free
put this in your sig if you hate the word gixxer and think they are losers who cant ride real roads (only stunt) loser squids give us all a bad name!!

buy my new psp 3000 or dsi
want to buy some timmy parts and markers
autocockermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 AM #20
YoungWhiteGeezer
Dye Ultralite Cocker

Hey thanks everyone for you opinions i really appreciate it but yes i did call the IRS on him and ill be goin there one last time to pick up my 90 dollar pay check then not going back and FTW PAINTBALL i appreciate your commets aswell i was not tryin to be mean at all =) thanks. Well we will see what happens and all i was here for was to find out if i was the only one who thought i was doing the rigt thing or if i was the bad guy in this situation and VApaintballer400 what field did u work at? and if im right this person who u said u ever heard of getting a W2 would be the owners son?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:54 AM #21
funfla22

1099 is not payment under the table
but you wouldnt quailfy as a contractor doing the ref job
by law you are due min wage !!! the 1099 is issued when you pay someone as a contractor for more than i think 600 a year

sorry guys -radiogal is mine !!!

We support !!!!
http://www.paintballpartyz.com/
funfla22 is offline   Reply With Quote