Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 PM #1
breg

has been a member for 10 years
Rantology Episode One: Newbie Bashing

Whenever the Hell I Feel Like It – or – Rantology

Today’s Topic: Newbie Bashing.

We have all been there before; Nervous, twitchy, not sure what we were doing. Where does this go? Is this right? What hole does this go in? How do I aim?

We were all at one point Newbies, Newbs, Rookies, First Timers, et cetera, but we became second timers, third timers, fourth, fifth, and so one. We went on to spend thousands of dollars and hours getting into Paintball. We became at ease with people shooting at us, we got over our fear of getting hit, we learned that you can see the other team better if you move closer, and we learned to play.

But, somewhere, a lot of us become hateful. We became self-superior and contemptuous of new players.

We make fun of everything we can: their gear, their playing ability, their skill level, their everything.

For the life of me I cannot understand why. A long running theory that I have had is that the first time player is far more important to the future of the sport than anyone that has thousands of dollars of gear right now. See, those of us that have thousands of dollars in gear are the Right Now, the Present of Paintball. Those kids, the new players we so often scorn are the Future.

How many times have you and your friends ganged up on the new players? “The Five of us versus the ten of you! Look you out number us two to one! You have the advantage!” We say these things knowing full well that a few Low End Guns and Rentals and the people behind the trigger have no chance against our experience. Then, we play the game and thoroughly mop the field with them. They start to trickle away one by one thinking to themselves that they could not take on the “Pros” two to one and win; then what’s the point?

And, yes, that is how the younger new players look at you: Pro.

Beating up on them like that, trash talking them, and generally treating them like you are in a snap-shooting duel to win the final point of World Cup, and beating them easily, running up on them and bunkering them, bonus balling them... All it does is serve to drive one more person away from Paintball.

They will remember that. They will remember how we treat them. They will tell other people how we treat them. The people they told will tell other people. They will tell others, and all of the sudden Paintball Players are nothing but a bunch of jerks that don't understand that you do not need to unload at 15 bps ramp on a first time player.

Paintball is largely a word-of-mouth thing. I am not sure how many of you are aware of that. A field is made or broken on its reputation. If we drive every new player away; there will be no one to replace the older players as they lose interest in the sport, or no one will come to your field because the regulars beat up on the new guys because they can.

Instead of trying to treat the newbs like something that was scraped off your shoe; how about letting them be on your team, giving them pointers, let them shoot your gun, or if they do something right let them know? Oh, and if you want to see a confidence boost in them; if they tag you, tell them good job. Remember this is supposed to be fun, and all in fun.

Seriously, try high fiving them. If you tag them, let them know they almost made it. Tell them how to do it better next time.

I think that the bottom line is that if you were as good as you think you are, you would be playing in the Pro bracket, and the 10.2 bps rule would actually have an impact on you. There is no reason for you to act like a douche bag towards new players.

That said, one of the most fun times I ever had playing Paintball was a time we let a group of walk-on players win. They were a group made up of a family. The first game we steam rolled them. Then the next game we cleared it with the refs that we were going to play to lose. We did our best to make is look like we were not letting them win. Then the next game when we weren't letting them win… They suddenly became a lot more aggressive, competitive, and they were less afraid to get hit. All they needed to see was that we were not unbeatable. Once they saw that… they went for it. Some of them came back. And only for letting people win once, Paintball grew just a little bit and we had new players and friends...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...0#post80488810

Link to Episode Two: Parents

Last edited by breg : 03-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.
breg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 AM #2
Jacenator
destraction

Jacenator owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Jacenator has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Funny story about that. There is a group of people that I play with that mostly play speedball. I got there earlier than them and hooked up with a small group playing woodsball, which I was more in the mood for anyway. Most of them were new or had played on and off. When my friends arrived they did a team split. it was the 4-5 of them vs the 10 or so of us. I decided I'd be on the other side. now, they all have egos while I am the only person on my team with one and another guy had a bt-4 erc. the rest of my team had 98s, a good bit of them rentals.

At the start I led a full out charge yellin and screamin for them to move up and not take the first bunker. AND THEY DID IT!They followed me right into the fray. I got a guy off the break and then got shot when I tried another forward push, however with that forward push my team gained the flank and it was only a matter of time. the "pro" team in this instance was decimated.

they took the defeat with a smile though. they loved it.

Last edited by Jacenator : 03-12-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Jacenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:06 AM #3
Jetson

Jetson is playing at Living Legends VII
Jetson has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jetson supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by breg View Post
generally treating them like you are in a snap-shooting duel to win the final point of World Cup
This
Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 AM #4
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
Clearly front page worthy.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM #5
baller4lif3
Air Force Academy Falcons

So true. I tell my guys this all the time.
baller4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 AM #6
Parasite
Not Amused

Annual Supporting Member
Parasite is a Moderator
Parasite is a Supporting Member
Parasite is a founding member
Parasite is BST Legit
Parasite donated to help Peyton Trent
great post! hopefully everyone can take this to heart!

"When people get a little too chummy with me
I like to call them by the wrong name
to let them know I donít really care about them."

My oldschool PBN Feedback +48 Positive/ZERO negative : before the days of this "fancy" feedback system.
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM #7
noclue119
D3 to D4 in.... never

Annual Supporting Member
noclue119 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
noclue119 supports Team VICIOUS
noclue119 supports Empire
some people are bad for the sport. some people are good for the sport. it is hard to weed out the problem child while keeping the good ones around.
noclue119 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 AM #8
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

Annual Supporting Member
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 AM #9
sameagol26
Youtube = BTDeltafan101

Annual Supporting Member
sameagol26 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
sameagol26 supports Empire
In my experience the best way to help "newbs" is to encourage them. Quite often during walk on days I invite newer players to be on my team so that I can coach them and encourage them, as well as stick up for them when someone bonus-balls them, bunkers them, etc. I've had a cpl of occasions where I had to take a cpl opposing players aside to remind them that they're playing dangerously. I've seen some pricks bunker a new player, didn't try to surrender them and shot the poor kid three times in the mask! Needless to say I had a nice chat with that particular guy.. There doesn't seem to be much honour in the game as there used to be.. The only thing you can do is to stick up for injustices, be aware of who the newbs are on the field and to take them under your wing. Also let them hold your gun, fire off a few shots, etc. that kind gesture from a friend inspired me to get my own marker instead of renting.
Citrus Connection #26
Storm Runners
sameagol26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM #10
razokin

you have no idea how excited some of these kids get when you let them shoot your marker for a game or just in the chrono area. i let a group of walk on's who were probably 10-11 years old shoot my TIPX's "Akimbo style" (cringe) and they thought it was the coolest thing in the world to play a game with pistols on the speedball field
razokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:25 AM #11
Skipdogg

Great rant.

A good field should do their best to not have rental noobs play with 'electros'.
Skipdogg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:27 AM #12
King K-Lin34
King Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
King K-Lin34 supports Team VICIOUS
King K-Lin34 posts videos on PbNation
King K-Lin34 is an NCPA player
King K-Lin34 supports Pev's Paintball
King K-Lin34 is Boss
King K-Lin34 supports Empire

great rant

MATRIX
King K-Lin34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 AM #13
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
I don't think a lot of regular players understand how much new players (or even recreational players) look up to them. Simply talking to them for a few minutes, giving them some reasonable advice (not telling them to buy a $1000+ anything) and letting them fondle or even shoot your gun or try on a mask can do wonders to grow paintball.

I was there the first time one of my former teammates played paintball. We only had enough people to play woodsball in one group that day. Like most players, he was lost but we got him up in the mix. Then one game, we were pretty sure everyone on the other team was out so we got him to pull the center flag and made a big deal of running with him and "covering" him as he ran it in with us.

He told me later that was the moment he was hooked. He remembers that moment and that feeling almost 20 years later. That's the kind of power you have at the field. You literally can help someone have a good or a terrible impression of paintball by how you act.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM #14
OLPB18

OLPB18 is attending Decay of Nations VII
OLPB18 supports DLX Technology
OLPB18 supports Empire
I like this cause alot of people at my field do this same stuff but I'm always nice to the new guys and the walk ons with rentals cause I love the sport of paintball and I want others to love it just as much as I do. A lot of times I'll give my back up setup to there group and let them use it for the day and they always pass it around in there group each game. I try ad hard as I can to make people wanna come back. I'm 22 and I'm currently in the process of opening my own field. I don't know if there is a Christian owned and operated field out there but that is what mine is going to be. There's so much we as recreational/"professional" players have to gain from the new guys. So anyways I hope this thread is seen by everyone because new guys are a absolutely the future of paintball.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM #15
Xonecl4ssBagger
^Xbox live gamertag^

Xonecl4ssBagger plays in the PSP
Xonecl4ssBagger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I don't think a lot of regular players understand how much new players (or even recreational players) look up to them. Simply talking to them for a few minutes, giving them some reasonable advice (not telling them to buy a $1000+ anything) and letting them fondle or even shoot your gun or try on a mask can do wonders to grow paintball.

I was there the first time one of my former teammates played paintball. We only had enough people to play woodsball in one group that day. Like most players, he was lost but we got him up in the mix. Then one game, we were pretty sure everyone on the other team was out so we got him to pull the center flag and made a big deal of running with him and "covering" him as he ran it in with us.

He told me later that was the moment he was hooked. He remembers that moment and that feeling almost 20 years later. That's the kind of power you have at the field. You literally can help someone have a good or a terrible impression of paintball by how you act.

This... nice story, i used to work at a field where lots of kids play and stuff like that gets them so amped up, and its awesome to watch. they really do look up to experienced players more than most know. Even just the easy "Nice job man" can do a lot for the player and their experience.
Xonecl4ssBagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM #16
jackotamo

Annual Supporting Member
jackotamo has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jackotamo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
jackotamo supports Empire
It has been better since the last time I played about 4-5 years ago. There were many dbags in the paintball community who had the same complex that you described. I hope I am right and that a large majority of turn offs several years ago subsided compared to back then.
jackotamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM #17
BoyBrizz
I one ball with my eNMEy

So I'm 13, an one of my best experiences was when I just started out at CRU paintball. There was a guy named Travis that plays for Chicago Distort, and I thought that his lv1 was an "assault rifle." So he let me try it out for a game, and I was immediately hooked. I've now been actively playing paintball for almost 2 years, and I play at the same field with Travis to this day. It's amazing how much of an impact something like this can have on someone.

"Originally posted by conscript37 it is one thing to paint check me and another to rape my leg while fondling my groin to see if I've been hit."
BoyBrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:04 PM #18
orraclemaniac
------

orraclemaniac supports Team VICIOUS
Such a great and true writeup. A short 10 years ago when I was Newby of all newbs and played my first time at a speedball field I went home saying I'm done I'm not going to be treated like this and don't want to be a part of a sport with attitude like that. After a few years went by of playing with friends on homemade courses and such I decided to take the speedball plunge again. I drove 6+ hours to the closest open speedball field and joined in on a team rotation day. Biggest mistake ever! Treated like crap and laughed at I couldn't believe it, worst day of paintball in my life. So on the ride home all these thoughts going thru my head of screw this I'm never trying again well I couldn't accept that speedball just amazed me to much. So upon going to a different field I ran into staff and players that were there to help , gave me advice , coached me from the side let me be a player on the field without getting shot to s*** and giving me the chance. Well that was the best day ever I have had playing paintball and I told myself I'm not going to let these bad attitude players bring me down and I will never be one of them. Now at this point in life I still consider myself a Newby at speedball and I tell all new comers that when there playing with me and I spend as much time with them throughout the day giving pointers etc. Even though I consider myself a Newby along with them. And I know that this helps and gives hope that they will consider returning. And if I'm at the field and I see someone being hard on a Newby/newbs I will speak up and do what I can to remove the ignorance and give the new guy a chance knowing there is someone sticking up for them. Again I really enjoy this write up and I think I will print it off and carry it in my gear bag and when I come across that next ignorant player I am going to pass this to them and say think hard.

Last edited by orraclemaniac : 03-12-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelled garbage ment gear bag
orraclemaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 PM #19
bigandugly
Pump Zombie

bigandugly has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I agree with a lot of the comments I've read so far. It's hard to find players willing to take the time to help out the younger/newer players. I agree with the "not suggesting $1000+ markers". I started out with an X7, then was made fun of and told I needed to spend money to get a real paintball gun (isn't an X7 a real paintball gun?). So I did, and that was a crappy experience. I've found that it takes one ball, so I've fallen to pump.

Definitely, take some time to walk the staging area, talk to everyone. Great way to make friends, and who knows, maybe you can provide that one good tip, or maybe you know how to fix that leak that they're having on their marker.

Encourage at least one crazy move a day. My example: At the outdoor field I play at (shameless plug to Doodlebug Sportz!!), one of the fields has this Western style area on one side of the field, with two strips of buildings and a seemingly no-man's-land between them. An advanced player and I thought that if we abandon the rest of the field and go straight for the Western area, it'd be a lot of fun, and confuse the heck out of everyone. Everyone, including the rental players I had just met, yelled out in excitement and agreement. Long story short: We took the buildings, learned how to communicate and not team-kill, and won the game. For the rest of the day, it seemed EVERYONE was doing something crazy and just having a blast doing it.

Let the new players try out your marker. Seriously, I don't think the new players will want to run away with your gear. At the very least, let them have a few target practice shots. They'll want to learn, because your stuff (even though it may not be new) is new to them. A lot of players are curious about my pump marker, so I let them try it. Hearing "dude, that's so cool!" is pretty nice.

Compliment your opponent. Whether it's a lucky shot, or one of those I-overslid-my-bunker-and-you-got-me-on-the-dome shot, I like to stick around and talk to my "killer". Starts with a high-five, and usually ends with a lot of laughing. But even for a guy who's played for about 5 years, I find that i will frequently hear something that makes me learn. Like "yeah, I saw you looking across the field, but your bright cleats were sticking out, so I had to shoot ya in the foot". Yes, I learned from that one.

Anyways, back to work. Thank you to the OP for the rant, it's a good reminder to all of us "veteran players" that the sport wouldn't exist without an infusion of new players that want to stick around.
bigandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:32 PM #20
Tracker
Demigod

Tracker is a founding member
Tracker helped look for balloons
Tracker has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i play with newbies as often as i can

because where i live you have 2 types of players, guys who train like they are going to be the next PSP (important point) superstar team, and first time parties and players, thats it, there are next to NO people in my local area who have thier own gear, and are out playing for the fun of it..

as a result, the new players get relegated to the back field, they dont play speedball, because the "tourney guys" are hogging both fields all day also, this and every field in my city allows ramping, so all the "tourney guys" use ramping, which means that all the new players dont want to play on the same fields as those guys because "all their guns are full auto", which also results in the newbies getting overshot A LOT, and finally, none of these guys realize how to turn it down, or off, they are constantly playing at 100% and as a result, a lot of the new players get bunkered, by guys ramping, anytime any new player gets the stones to play with one, or some of the "tourney guys" it always ends very, very poorly for them, and they would rather continue to play on the backfield, when they are getting shot at by constant ropes of paint, and when they only get shot once or twice (and go back to the couch when today is over)

it puts me in an awkward position, because, i dont want to play with the tourney guys, because im out here for fun, and i dont want to be overshot, and i still like to play speedball

i am able to play with the new players for a couple reasons, originally, it was because i had a stock class pump, even brand new players are willing to give you a shot because they know they have a firepower advantage over you, now a days i ususally end up using my Resurrection, because its mechanical, and they see im shooting about as fast as they can and even then it still takes a few games before they realize im not one of "those guys"
secondly i dial it back alot when im playing with new players, if i realize you cant hit the broadside of a barn, ill play a lot more open, ill hang out for longer that i should, ill shoot slower, ill move between cover slower, why? because they, like me are out for a good time, and its fun to win.. i remember back to when i first started playing ans i was able to surrender the field owner (who played on some level of pro team at the time) that was one of the greatest moves i still remember.. and if i can give someone that same memory.. but be the loser.. its just paint, it washes off, and bruises fade.. but memories last

some of that is a bit rambly.. but here are the key points
1. TURN OFF RAMPING when playing with new players, nobody like being overshot, and odds are, if you overshoot a new player, they wont come back, because playing COD on the couch hurts WAY less
2. DIAL IT BACK, like the one guy said, this isnt the world cup, there no money on the line, stop playing like it, running the snake and shooting out the entire team in 2 minutes makes the new players not want to play anymore
3. DONT BE AFRAID TO LOSE, you might make some kids day, if by playing sloppy he gets to shoot out the big scary pro player guy
i hate losing, probably more than most people, but if i can make someones day in the process, im a lot less bitter about it.
cause if he enjoys himself, some day he might want to buy his own gear, and then i have someone new to play with.

Tracker

Last edited by Tracker : 03-12-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM #21
rluna

rluna is a Moderator
rluna is a Supporting Member
rluna is playing at Living Legends III
rluna is playing at Living Legends V
rluna supports Sherwood Forest
agreed on all points - if I notice a player all irate for nothing at someone else I'll step in and tell the offender to cool down.

I did this once and the guy wanted to throw his marker to the ground and go all hand-to-hand with me. In the end I just turned my back on him and let him call me a "wimp" (he used a more colorful word)... and I walked to the kid he was yelling at and asked if he was ok, told him to forget that guy, not to worry, "you didnt do anything wrong", etc... of course i spoke to a ref about it as well.

Point is - its easy to be intimidated out there just by the fear of being hit with a paintball, let alone some irrational guy ticked off by a bonus ball or two.

Even if a newbie / rec player accidentally shoots you in the neck from 5 feet away - what can you do? Its happened to me. In my case I wiped the paint & blood away while the entire group of rec ballers were looking at me just waiting for an explosion. The kid was sorry, apologized many times... we talked about his gun a bit, touched on safety, I addressed everybody within ear-shot about safety. Then game on and that was the end of it.
My Worr Framed Blazer,
My Markers... The Osirus is... (sold)
rluna is offline   Reply With Quote