Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM #1
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
The Official *nix thread.

This thread is to replace the old Unofficial Linux Thread. The threadstarter was never around and we wanted to have an FAQ available at the beginning of the thread for new users. I asked the mods to remove the old thread, but they're slow as balls so I guess it'll happen when it happens.

If you are new to *nix operating systems, it's going to be very helpuful to you, and make it easier for those of us in this thread to help you, if you have some understanding of how it works, specifically the command line. Here are a couple of links to get you started:
UNIX Introduction
Intro to Unix Commands

Most of you will be coming here with help for Linux. The above guides will still be helpful to you, but because Linux is only based on UNIX there are some differences between the two. To get a more specific feel for Linux here is some recommended reading:
Windows to Linux: A Beginners Guide
Basic Linux Commands
Linux Beginners FAQ
Filesystem Hierarchy

Also to help point you in the way of a distro that will be right for you, try this out:
Linux Distribution Chooser

We've composed a list of FAQ's from the previous thread to give some more immediate help, and take the strain off of some of the regular users who are getting dangerously close to putting their googleplane on autopilot. This list will be updated continually.

How do I delete *nix from my computer?
I deleted *nix from my computer and now my windows install won't boot
The easiest way to solve these problems is to fix your master boot record(MBR).
Just pop in your windows installation disc, when the prompt comes up to do so hit "R" to start the recovery console, and select your windows installation when asked. Use the commands "fixmbr" and "fixboot" and you should be good to go. Once you are booted back into windows you can use a partitioner like Partition Magic to remove the *nix partition from your disks and resize them.

* Some users suggest running a chkdsk /r on the drive you are repairing before fixing the mbr *

How do I get my restricted drivers for my video and/or network card to work in Ubuntu?
The restricted drivers manager should take care of all that, however in order to use it properly you have to enable the correct repositories. To do this navigate to

System-->Administration-->Software Sources

And check the "main", "universe", "restricted", and "multiverse" repositories. You should now be able to enable your drivers via the Restricted Drivers Manager.

My video drivers are installed but I still don't have the correct screen resolution.
You can follow the beginning of this guide if you are running Ubuntu. Or if you are running a different distro you can use the same guide, just skip down to the "Adding custom modeline" section.

How do I get my wireless working?
If you're running Ubuntu the first thing to try is the Restricted Drivers mentioned above.

We probably aren't going to be much help there unless we have your specific wireless device as well. The best thing to do is, first, try googling "*your wireless card here* *your distro here*" to try and find some results pertaining to your specific situation. If you can't find anything pertinent, go to the forums for your specific distro and ask there.

Should I use a 64-bit version of *nix?
Currently, because of compatibility issues, 64-bit linux is not really suited for every day home desktop use. You're better off sticking with a 32-bit version of *nix for now.

Should I use KDE or GNOME in Linux?
They are both very different from one another, run them both and decide which one you like.

What media player should I use?
For music:
If you want something comparable to itunes - Amarok
If you want something a little more lightweight than Amarok - Rhythmbox or Banshee
Some popular text based music players are cmus, moc, and mpd

For video:
VLC or Mplayer

Also come visit us in #linux on irc.roachware.net if you want some live-chat help or just want to hang out.

Last edited by zoink : 02-05-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 PM #2
zoink
cats cats cats

Reservinated for overflow
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM #3
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Hey cool thread! ;-)

edit:

In *nix news, today Sun has acquired MySQL. As someone who deals with some pretty large projects running on MySQL, I'm a bit concerned with Sun turning mysql more Solaris-centric. I think it's time to switch to Postgres.

Last edited by BlitzPA9 : 01-16-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM #4
brickwall329
i'm steve!

brickwall329 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9 View Post
Hey cool dude! ;-)
Hey.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM #5
<cky>lucky

Awesome thread good job i havent look at any of thoes links yet but maby u should add one with a tutorial on how to make/run a live cd. that was very confusing to me when i was a wanna be user but had trouble figuring it out.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:17 PM #6
problah

problah is a Supporting Member
Reserved for any further linkage.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM #7
<cky>lucky

i think the first link is kind of specific to redhat linux and not debian this should be noted. reading into it it says to type % who to find out who is on the computer, but on debian versions you type finger. hopefully u can find another great into to linux for debian and post it up if i find anything ill put the link up
Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 PM #8
durrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by <cky>lucky View Post
i think the first link is kind of specific to redhat linux and not debian this should be noted. reading into it it says to type % who to find out who is on the computer, but on debian versions you type finger. hopefully u can find another great into to linux for debian and post it up if i find anything ill put the link up
I think he's trying to avoid the Linux specifics. You are right, though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:38 PM #9
zoink
cats cats cats

Quote:
I'm not seeing this, can you show me what you're talking about.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 PM #10
BlitzPA9

Quote:
'who' tells you who is logged in, 'finger' provides information about a specific user. Neither command should be distro-specific.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:46 PM #11
durrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I'm not seeing this, can you show me what you're talking about.
Yeah, when I looked at it I thought he meant he had seen a command that was '%'..but I don't see it.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 PM #12
<cky>lucky

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/unix3.html

by 3.4 pipes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:48 PM #13
BlitzPA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by durrell View Post
Yeah, when I looked at it I thought he meant he had seen a command that was '%'..but I don't see it.
That's just the tcsh command prompt
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM #14
<cky>lucky

Quote:
'who' tells you who is logged in, 'finger' provides information about a specific user. Neither command should be distro-specific.
i think ur right. nevermind im dumb.. im still confused about the % though.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 PM #15
BlitzPA9

Quote:
i think ur right. nevermind im dumb.. im still confused about the % though.
Quote:
That's just the tcsh command prompt
^^
Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 PM #16
chubby bunny
Puppies on Acid

chubby bunny is a Supporting Member
I'm chubby bunny and I approve this thread *dumb toothy grin*
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 PM #17
Jedunnigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby bunny View Post
I'm chubby bunny and I approve this thread *dumb toothy grin*
As do I.

I plan on posting in here more often now that I am officially dual booting with Ubuntu.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 PM #18
<cky>lucky

has anyone had any trouble playing DVD's in ubuntu? ive tried alll the media players but still no luck. i think it said i dont have the right codec but its on my other comp so im not sure the exact error. but this error dosent makee sence because on the info it says it plays DVDs
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM #19
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

I love it when i walk into a thread and want to walk back out due to all the things i want to learn. blarg
blog.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:15 PM #20
zoink
cats cats cats

Quote:
has anyone had any trouble playing DVD's in ubuntu? ive tried alll the media players but still no luck. i think it said i dont have the right codec but its on my other comp so im not sure the exact error. but this error dosent makee sence because on the info it says it plays DVDs
http://www.debuntu.org/how-to-play-d...r-ubuntu-linux
Old 01-16-2008, 08:24 PM #21
<cky>lucky

:] ill try this in a little while when my mom stops bugging me about taking down the christmas tree and taking out garbage but looks good to me. im pretty sure i can post any random question n zoink or durell will know how to fix it damn u zoink with ur slightly bigger avatar
Closed Thread