Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 PM #1
mxmtl
MQ2 Pumper!

Post Increasing Popularity of Pump Play?

With the announced increases in the prices of paintballs from the major paintball companies, do you see an increase in regular pump players coming to your field? Or do you already see an increase at your field?

Last December, our local pump players put together a private group of over 20 pump players. There were some new-to-pump players (including myself as it was only my 3rd time out). What I also noticed were a lot of old school players going out for the first time in a long time with their old school gear.

I also had an opportunity last month to speak with someone who worked at JT, and he said they were surprised how fast the Karnivore pumps sold out after they were released.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 PM #2

The other side of the coin is that pump players (or simple lack of people spending a lot on paint) are contributing to the increase in paint prices.

Yes I understand that the increase is a result of many factors including week dollar, petroleum etc. Never the less there probably is an impact of.000000001 cent per ball because of us "rebel scum".
0102030405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:36 PM #3
BSGp8ntball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0102030405 View Post
The other side of the coin is that pump players (or simple lack of people spending a lot on paint) are contributing to the increase in paint prices.

Yes I understand that the increase is a result of many factors including week dollar, petroleum etc. Never the less there probably is an impact of.000000001 cent per ball because of us "rebel scum".
not bashing just asking... do you think pump players are some part of that (no matter how small) or do you think if pump wasn't available many of us just wouldn't play at all.
BSGp8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:42 PM #4

Quote:
or do you think if pump wasn't available many of us just wouldn't play at all.
Thats a good question. Personally I would have burned out a long time ago with all the negativity that surrounds and now permeates through the semi/competitive scene, that and simply not afford to be able to play.

I have to explain more, we pay for paint, we pay for entry, we contribute to the pb economy as long as we play. It's just that they make less money off us then they do from semi players. But if we play more often or have a longer life in pb, i guess they even out.

Last edited by 0102030405 : 01-16-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:58 PM #5
BSGp8ntball

as to the original question, last pump day we had we allow semi to play as long as they use a gravity feed (shake and bake) hopper. I heard 3 guys go "hey you just wanna borrow a pump, we could play all day on like a bag of paint". I think the word is getting out.
BSGp8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:09 PM #6

Yeah, the hardest thing is to convince people that it is just as fun playing pump (don't bother trying to convince them it's more fun, they won't believe you).

The question is where the sport is going. During the golden age 02-05, there was no stopping the growth and pump growth (compared to semi growth)was a less then a blip. But now because of the slow, and this thread's topic, it's a very important trend that the industry heads may not be able to ignore, if they are smart that is.

Last edited by 0102030405 : 01-16-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM #7
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
I hope they do ignore it, in a sense. It's great and all, but the community that pump-paintball fosters is an entirely different one from the norm. And I like that community; it's led me to places in paintball that I could never have imagined existed. In those communities, it's like a Mecca; word of mouth only, where everyone is there to have a good time, prices are reasonable, and where even the TWIBs put up or shut up and are honest... because if they aren't they get thrashed by the regulars.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:56 AM #8
Phiyuck Yiu
Chino

Phiyuck Yiu plays in the PSP
Phiyuck Yiu supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxmtl View Post
I also had an opportunity last month to speak with someone who worked at JT, and he said they were surprised how fast the Karnivore pumps sold out after they were released.
Yea the shop that i work at bought like 4 of those karni pumps. Since i work their. Alot of people notice that i like to pump alot rather then use my ego. and alot of people are trying pump out or even converting. All paintball companies are jackin up the prices. so pump is gonna be popular now imo.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 AM #9
Beaux
Capt. of Pumpenstein

Pumpenstein has brought in some "new" players into our ranks recently. They all are converts from the semi game. Some are still active X-Ball players and others still play semi on occasion. The core of our team play exclusively with pump and if it weren't for pump play, we'd not play at all.

I've heard this alot from all of our converts after they play with us the first time; "That's the most fun I've ever had playing paintball".

Sponsors:
Tank's Paintball | pumpleague.com | HRL

My PBNation Feedback
Beaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM #10
Phantom Power
Pump Aficionado

Pump play is growing really quickly here in BC. It's been building steadily at my field for almost 5 years now, but only in the last 2 or so has it REALLY taken off. We started doing regular pump days about a year and a half ago (every two months), and we've gone from around 12 people to 45.

The trick is definitely to have lots of loaners, and to play pump in a way that's visible to semi players. If you're playing on your own field and in sitting in your own corner of the staging area, the semi players don't get exposed to it as much. When we do the pump days, there's always an "open group" of semi players going at the same time (on a different field), but they see us in the staging area, and watch us play from the sidelines. Every time I get remarks from some of them that it looks like a good time, and I invite them out.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM #11
mxmtl
MQ2 Pumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaux View Post
I've heard this alot from all of our converts after they play with us the first time; "That's the most fun I've ever had playing paintball".
I'm a convert from the semi game as well. I felt the same way the first time I played pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
Pump play is growing really quickly here in BC.
Wow, that is great! We have one monthly at our field, but usually the biggest groups are about every two months.

There are a lot of loaners available at our pump day as well from the local pumpers, and they gather in the main area by the food cart, tech table, and registration window.
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:52 PM #12
RtB
lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Power View Post
Pump play is growing really quickly here in BC.
Same here in the Hinterland. The Edmonton Pump League will start it's second season in March, with a newly placed cap on the amount of teams allowed in. 9 teams in 9 events over 9 months. And hopefully we'll have a repeat of last years summer tournament where Carter Machine came up and schooled all of us!

also, most scenarios around Edmonton have a third, pump team, that has been known to win the odd scenario and never comes in last!
RtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:56 PM #13
Diomedes
Nerd

Diomedes is playing at Living Legends III
In NJ, the pump scene has been kickin' for a few years at least, now there are two monthly indoor games, pumps only, and an outdoor as well, and the turnout is usually between ten and twenty, sometimes more. A group just last tuesday came to their first such game, and one of the guys commented that he'd always heard how pump games were so friendly and laid back, but he didn't realize just how much so until he tried it out. Great times, and it seems to be growing.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
Zombie Defense Dispatches <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 AM #14
frosty64
Paintball People Eater

I think pump play is increasing where I live too. All it takes is 1 guy to bring his pump gun/guns and start playing. Thats how I changed over. Unfortunately now it seems everyone and their brother wants to play pump whereas before it was a little more exclusive to be one of the few. There are still a few fields around where nobody has heard the word "Phantom" before and thats nice. Usually at my local field the refs segregate us pumps from the electro's and put us with the mechanicals - though its your choice to do whatever. There are usually a consistent 5 or 6 guys who show that are at least packing a pump, whether they play with it or not...
Tippmann 98 - Backup

"Originally posted by MisterMister: Why not just shoot frozen reballs? When you hear the scream of pain you know they are out!"
frosty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 PM #15

I really wish the online stores would start ordering parts from pump manufacturers like CCI, CCM, WGP, and Carter Machine. I know there are ones out there like Doro, but never never have all the parts in one place.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:19 PM #16
Teh_Face
New Age Retro Hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty64 View Post
I think pump play is increasing where I live too. All it takes is 1 guy to bring his pump gun/guns and start playing. Thats how I changed over. Unfortunately now it seems everyone and their brother wants to play pump whereas before it was a little more exclusive to be one of the few. There are still a few fields around where nobody has heard the word "Phantom" before and thats nice. Usually at my local field the refs segregate us pumps from the electro's and put us with the mechanicals - though its your choice to do whatever. There are usually a consistent 5 or 6 guys who show that are at least packing a pump, whether they play with it or not...
I agree. It spreads like a virus, and soon im going to have to think of a newer way to lower the bar...

Maybe an Arrowgun for speedball...
Teh_Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:21 PM #17
Phantom Power
Pump Aficionado

There are a few online stores that specialize in pump related equipment. You can't expect them to stock stuff from custom shops like Carter Machine though, since those are in fact custom.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:56 AM #18
frosty64
Paintball People Eater

An Arrowgun would be the shizzle. I just dont own a bow
Tippmann 98 - Backup

"Originally posted by MisterMister: Why not just shoot frozen reballs? When you hear the scream of pain you know they are out!"
frosty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM #19

What's old is new again.

I think it would be ultimate measure of pump success and fastest way the pump player base will grow if it becomes the norm start paintball by playing pump. It would require fields to stock rental pumps and run pump games which they may see as a threat to their paint sales. Are there any fields that has pump rentals? Lion's Den in CA used to have do that 6 years ago.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 PM #20

realistically it's putting the genie back in a bottle, never going to happen

but then I'm sure people never though the electric car would live again.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 PM #21
captainspaulding

we had 30+ pump players at monster indoor last weekend it was great
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/WMASSREGULATORS
my blog,Life Behind Lenses:
http://lifebehindlenses.blogspot.com/
help Adam
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2796449
captainspaulding is offline   Reply With Quote