PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-22-2015, 11:23 AM #1
Klaus

Klaus is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Warning: Regarding Astro A50 (and all Astro Products)

This post is to serve as warning (and a bit of a rant) given I've seen lots of Astro Headsets floating around the classified pages on various sites lately.

Please think twice about purchasing Astro A50 (or pretty much any of their headsets as the warranty rant relates to all of their headsets). First let me start off by saying this has nothing to do with the quality or performance, but more to do with the company and how it does not stand behind the very same product it sells.

I'm an owner of two of their products, both an A40 and A50. The primary reason I originally went with Astro was their build quality, while I thought the performance of the Turtle Beach headsets I was using prior (X31/X32 and X41) was great, the build quality was horrible, cheap plastics used really turned me off. The A40's I have are working fine and I do use them from time to time, but I may sell them while they're working otherwise I'll be stuck with two overpriced paperweights.

The A50's were first gen, purchased not long after released, and they worked fine aside from the firmware updates necessary for them to work properly. So 2 weeks ago I decide to break them out, I keep them in the manuf. packaging with all cables, mix amp, stand etc. and they could pass as new as I had maybe 40-50hrs total on them, and less than 10 charging cycles. I hooked everything up and they wouldn't power up, so I tried charging and that to failed, so I tried the various ways using different cables, different power sources and the same results, a dead headset.

So I decide to contact Astro, which unfortunately like with many places you can't get live person to assist you unless youre calling to order, so you're forced to start a "ticket" and wait for them to contact you. I started a ticket, mentioned the problem and clearly stated that I was aware they were out of warranty (12mo limited from time of purchase) and of course I'd gladly pay to have them looked at and repair if not pushing the cost of a new headset. After several back and forths from one of their customer service folks asking me to provide a copy of receipt to show if in warranty, even though I clearly stated several times that it wasn't in warranty, after 2 days of this, I got an email stating the ticket was marked resolved and that Astro does not offer service on any out of warranty product, and they don't offer up any suggestions for any third party service options.

I tried calling to speak to someone and verify what I was told was true as their site mentions nothing about "After the warranty, you're basically screwed if your headset needs service!" and the person claimed I couldn't talk to anyone and the best that could be offered would be for her to have someone email me, and clearly having gone through 2 days of back of forth, I told her unless the person emailing me could answer a specific question instead of copying and pasting generic responses to inquiries, then I would pass.

I tried one more time a couple days ago, after doing some research and finding out the problem may very well be the battery, simple enough you think! well think again, trying to get information without ripping your headset apart is nearly impossible, and Astro was NO HELP at all yet again, when I posed the question regarding specs on the battery to which I was prompted to provide a copy of the receipt YET AGAIN to show it was in warranty and then they'd help me out after I sent it in.

So to make a short story long, make sure you find out if the headset you're purchasing is out of warranty before buying and if so, I'd seriously advise not buying it unless you got it for super cheap as there are no third party service options available, and trying to get help from Astro in any way shape or form after I spent over $700.00 purchasing products from them over the past 2.5 years is literally impossible. It's ashamed that this company doesn't stand behind it's product and leaves their customers hanging after the expiration of the warranty, I definitely won't ever buy anything from them ever again, and I'll make sure to get the word to anyone considering purchasing, that while you may be satisfied during the warranty, if something happens after said warranty expires, you're on your own.

Shame on Astro!
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2015, 07:45 PM #2
WoodChuck65

WoodChuck65 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uh. First off what's the trouble of showing your receipt? Second off, let the a50 die completely, and ONLY use the wires that came with it to power the mix amp and charge the headset, any other wires will NOT work with it. I too own a40's and a50's. I have had no issues with 3 years on my a50's (still work like they did day one) and none with my a40 TR's. And also I sent my a50's in a couple of times for new ear cups and to get it tightened back up, and i had no issues at all. So either your trolling or ignorant, because you dunno how companies work and/or won't comply to get it done for yourself. When I read your post I just think "laziness, can't even show a pic of his receipt for his warranty".
Old 12-31-2015, 09:00 AM #3
Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodChuck65 View Post
Uh. First off what's the trouble of showing your receipt? Second off, let the a50 die completely, and ONLY use the wires that came with it to power the mix amp and charge the headset, any other wires will NOT work with it. I too own a40's and a50's. I have had no issues with 3 years on my a50's (still work like they did day one) and none with my a40 TR's. And also I sent my a50's in a couple of times for new ear cups and to get it tightened back up, and i had no issues at all. So either your trolling or ignorant, because you dunno how companies work and/or won't comply to get it done for yourself. When I read your post I just think "laziness, can't even show a pic of his receipt for his warranty".
First off, showing a receipt has absolutely nothing to do with it, the fact the headset carried a 12mo limited warranty to which the receipt would clearly show what I stated in my initial contact with Astro, and that was the headset WAS OUT OF WARRANTY, and I was looking for assistance knowing full well I'd have to pay and was willing to if they were willing to assist me, which they weren't, hence my reason for posting what I did. The warranty states nothing about the customer being hung out to dry after the warranty expires, and I'd be willing to bet if the customers looking at their product knew what their policy was (goodluck getting support from Astro after warranty expires) they'd sell a hell of a lot less headsets than they currently do, and that might be an understatement at that!

As far as "other wires will not work" clearly you've not tried other wires or seen the multitude of videos of people that had issues that tried other wires (think cell phone charging bricks) and if you read Astro forums, several persons who either worked or still work with the company, made that very suggestion to people who thought their wires might be the issue.

Clearly I'm not trolling and I honestly think the only thing ignorant and lazy, is you! You clearly can't digest what I wrote, nor do you care, you're just one of the types of "trolls" that feel it necessary to mouth off when you have nothing constructive to offer to the conversation, and contrary to you ill informed assertion, I know very well how company's operate as most (not all) if not able to help you directly with service, will steer you in the direction of a third party, I've dealt with hundreds of "warranty" and out of warranty related issues over the years and Astro is the only company that offered NO solution to an obvious problem and that is that they deem their headsets disposable.

I'm glad your A50's work, as do many others, but I'm sure if you took the time to look at feedback for the company, I'm clearly not the only one with this issue, nor will I be the last. As far as being too lazy to show a receipt, I really suggest you pay attention to detail(s) and take note where showing a receipt that would show the product was out of the "Limited 12 month warranty" would do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, and as I mentioned, this was pointed out several times to the persons who are tasked with doing nothing but copying and pasting generic responses to emails regarding the product.

The fact remains, Astro's product support SUCKS once your warranty is up, and if the design of the A50's holds true (I gave them to an audio guy on another forum to disect since they're doing me no good) it's looking like they essentially make these things to where getting them "fixed" would be cost prohibitive, essentially making my earlier comment about these being "disposable" correct, hence the lack of support from the company.

Live and learn like I said, having been a fan of their products based mostly on build quality (specifically the A50) and sound/build quality (my A40's) I will not spend one red cent on Astro products in the future and will do my best to make sure the consumer knows Astro will not support their product after the limited warranty, in any way shape or form and while that may be acceptable to some people, it's not acceptable to me!
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 AM #4
WoodChuck65

Okay, call them and demand talking to a representative or manager.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:43 AM #5
Ninja Mouse
SUCH. MANY. SO. WOW.

There are a lot of words in those posts but the general conclusion I am reaching is that you are mad that Astro wouldn't support you outside of warranty...
Old 12-31-2015, 09:55 AM #6
Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodChuck65 View Post
Okay, call them and demand talking to a representative or manager.
Unfortunately calling them does NO good. I did that twice and got the run around from the same lady I spoke to, she would not give me the name of anyone I could call and hear me out, all she could do was offer to pass on my issue to their customer service people who would email me, which if you read my post(s) you saw, or if you've dealt with going the route of starting a service ticket, you know that you only get a copy and pasted response about "Send a copy of your receipt to verify the warranty is intact, and we'll have you send in the product for diagnosis and service".

If this person who is much more knowledgable than myself in high end audio determines that they've built this headset to essentially be disposable based on the cost to repair due to being cost prohibitive ie: more expensive to repair than buy new, or even something as simple as replacing the battery (which according to Astro, you can't change the battery!?!)then I'll contract this person to do a video for youtube going over the design, so I can make sure that others like myself don't waste $300.00 on a headset that will last a year or maybe a little more if you're lucky and while I know there are exceptions.

I have 4 pairs of Turtle Beach headsets (recently got the stealth 500x to replace my A50's) and the X31 and X32 as well as the X42's I have are still going strong, as mentioned previously, my only issue with TB is their build quality sucks, meaning cheap plastic on parts that endure stress. I'll be honest, the sound quality on the Stealth 500x is AMAZING, so much better than the Astro's, unfortunately not quite the durable build quality of the Astros, but they sound so much better, and there are several youtube personalities that did comparisons and found the same. I know TB stands behind their products as years back I sent in a pair of X31's I had because the sound in one ear went out, and it was out of the company's stated warranty, and I fully expected to pay to have it fixed, but the only cost to me was the price of shipping. They fixed it (or replaced I believe as they looked newer condition when received back) and sent back to me without charging me a dime, and I believe that pair only cost me $100.00 when they first came out?

I've been messaged by 4 people encountering the same problem recently, and one claiming they were offered an extended warranty, which I was never offered and I'm a big fan of paying for extended warranties which I do on all my higher end electronics such as tv's, computers, audio etc. and that they're denying the extended warranty was purchased and he claims he has an email confirmation saying otherwise that he's provided. I'm not trying to be someone who rubs against the grain, but the policy of a company like Astro needs to be brought into the light so others can spend their money wisely.

I wish there were someone at the company I could physically talk to and I understand why they won't talk to the customers, because it's out of sight and out of mind, meaning if they don't see or hear complaints, clearly those complaints don't exist, plausible deniability if you will.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:04 AM #7
Klaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mouse View Post
There are a lot of words in those posts but the general conclusion I am reaching is that you are mad that Astro wouldn't support you outside of warranty...
Not necessarily mad, but upset that for a company who peddles the highest priced "Gaming Headsets" to all but tell customers "Sorry but you're on your own now the warranty is expired!" without offering or attempting to offer any solution such as a third party service. I believe that given the price point they either have to do one of two things, either clearly state that after the warranty you'll receive absolutely nothing from Astro, but copy and pasted generic responses when attempting to contact them initially regarding service, or hire a couple of techs to perform service on their products as apparently the tech or techs they have are quite busy performing service on their in warranty products.

I don't think either of those is unreasonable, or maybe even a third option, find a third party service that can do repairs on out of the warranty product(s), which I sure as heck can't find anyone familiar with those things thats willing to tackle repairing them, and I've contacted 9 different persons/company's and only one from an AV Forum I frequent and he's going to disect them and see where I stand.

So yeah, not mad but definitely upset that I supported that company and before this recent issue, even recommended to fellow gamers, the product line Astro offered, and again, my issue is primarily with respect to their service or lack of!

Last edited by Klaus : 12-31-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:21 PM #8
WoodChuck65

I hope you know Astro has been bought out by skull candy several years ago and have roughly only 26 employees for Astro currently. So instead of contacting Astro go directly to skull candy and contact them man.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:28 PM #9
chrisrlyon

Annual Supporting Member
chrisrlyon is BST Trusted
chrisrlyon has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
chrisrlyon has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
chrisrlyon has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
chrisrlyon supports DLX Technology
chrisrlyon supports Ninja Paintball
Warranty is clearly stated..

You dont have to support the company but you cant get mad at them for their policys after purchasing

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=5086049 DYE DMXX Anniversary edition
chrisrlyon is offline   Reply With Quote