Updated pics and specs towards the end of the thread. This is a ongoing project
Hello everyone, I bought a new ION XE in December after a long lay off from playing paintball. I haven't played in over 7 years. I used to be a regular with a pretty tricked out cocker. I hurt my back pretty bad and had to give up all my fun activities for a few years. I never picked paintball back up again until this fall. A few friends of mine play regularly and have peaked my interest again. I have taken a particular interest in woodsball and scenarios. I have yet to attend a big game, but will be going to my first at Top Gun in NJ this Sunday(Jan 13th).
Anyway, I work for a family business that has a small machine shop, and I have basic knowledge of machining. I was going to buy a blackcell or deadlywinds tactical body, but then being the wannabe engineer I decided to give it a whirl on my own. We had a length of Hex sided aluminum rod laying around that was already bored out to 1" diameter inside. Its material I was told has been sitting around since the 60's and we will never use again, so it is at my disposal.
I started out by boring it out the the diameter of the ION's breach. I then started milling off material. I probably had a good 3/8" of material on each side. After some preliminary milling I drilled a 1" feedneck hole and threaded it.
After that I milled out the bottom and located the mounting holes for the grip frame. I also angled the front. I left the front end long so I could mount the Qloader there(waiting for parts for that), and it also covers the insert color of the freak back on the barrel.
I purchased a Trinity folding stock for a Tippman 98 and mounted that. It is held in by a Allen set screw, so it can be removed easily to access the BOB feature of the XE.
Next I am making a riser for a red dot sight behind the feedneck.
I have a lower profile 90 degree elbow coming in the mail from Qloader so it wont be quite as tall.
What do you guys think? Remember I am not a professional machinist, and this is my first attempt. There is still a lot of work that needs to go into it. I am also going to mount a 2" rail on either side of the barrel for a tac light, laser sight, ect. This is just the basic shape. I am probably going to slot the sides vertically to break up the straight lines and reduce weight, and it will be painted of course.
This is where I am at right now. I will get some better pics when my wife gives my camera back! She is a camera hog. These 2mp cell phone pics aren't too bad though.
It is completely functional, and fires great! It has a great feel to it, like a real rifle. When I get the riser on the top, and the slots milled, it wont look so round.