Community Focus

Old 01-22-2008, 08:53 PM #85
bizkitfan601

has been a member for 10 years
bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumballer View Post
At least Someone has an idea of technical.....My vote goes to the guys who can actually play good without triggers. I'll give ya Chris Adler and Jason Bittner but just have a hard time putting technical and death metal in the same league.

You want technical feet then Thomas lang is the end of discussion
Triggers don't make you a bad drummer. Anyone who says so has no idea how triggers work. They have nothing to do with speed AT ALL. It's all about tone.

Quote:
A trigger is a sensor on a drum that produces a certain sound assigned from a sound module once the head has been struck. This device allows drummers to play at a faster rate without having to strike the drum hard, since at very rapid speeds it may become difficult for feet to move as quickly and with as much power.

Triggers are also used to add more definition to drum sounds and prevent bleeding between sound sources, making it easier to hear clearly every drum hit without rumble or excessive cymbals. An example is where very rapid bass drum hits become difficult to distinguish or even hear in the presence of a full band.
Does not make anyone better or worse - proficient or less - it simply helps with the sound. That's like saying that any guitar player who uses a distorted guitar is a horrible player. It's simply not true.

"I wonder if there is such a thing in nature as a fat mind? I really think I have met with one or two: minds which could not keep up with the slowest trot in conversation; could not jump over a logical fence to save their lives; always got stuck fast in a narrow argument; and, in short, were fit for nothing but to waddle helplessly through the world"
bizkitfan601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2008, 10:15 PM #86
KidPaintball
Say W H A T?

KidPaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
Thanks for explaining that. It took me forever to figure out what they did until I saw them in real life. Lol.

-rockland Hustle - 08
-Niagara Hustle - 07

|PM7|

"Originally posted by VAMP1RE: What's the difference between a Dodge Neon and a refrigerator?
The Refrigerator floats."
KidPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:26 PM #87
drumballer

Well thanks for the definition of triggers. Now what I was referring to was the use of them. The trigger itself is just basically another version of a mic. What i was getting at is the fact that your kit now becomes electrified and ran by a computer moreless. I'm glad you mentioned distortion becuase now that we are hooked up in this module we can tweak the sounds and SPEEDS of what comes out of the sound rig. Not sure exactly what the effect is called on a guitar but its the one that you pluck the string once and it sounds off twice. I know first hand that is is possible to set your drum triggers up in the module just like you would set up your gun for ramping and whatnot. You hit 100 beats per minute it can start cranking out 200 or whatever you like to set it up at. I'm not saying that everyone does this or that there are that many people out there who actually do but it is possible and now that I've seen it done I lost respect for it. Granted it's a pretty sweet tool and if it's available then why not use it but it's just my oppinion. Don't even get me started on ProTools!!
drumballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM #88
imyourfrend
My body is a wonderland..

Scarified - Racer X

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

WTB Gun and Tank: $250 PM me.
imyourfrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:02 PM #89
drumballer

That's a pretty cool video from a very talented guy! Very cool!
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM #90
Dr. Eggman

Well, I'm not going to sift through the entire thread, but here is a pretty good list of technical drummers, not necessarily fast, but you should take a listen nonetheless:

Neal Pert (Rush)
Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)
Terry Bossio (Frank Zappa)
Virgil Donati (Planet X)
Dennis Chambers
Phil Collins (Brand X stuff>Genesis stuff)
Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree)
Mike Mangini
Daniel Adair (Dave Martone)

There are many more, but these are a few off the top of my head.
Dr. Eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 PM #91
PaintballBandito

for the triggers discussion, triggers do nothing but give each drum hit a consistent sound at the same volume. the reason some people call them cheating is because you can have an extremely short stroke and it will be the same volume as a full stroke. someone like george kollias can play so fast and so loud without triggers because he has amazing feet that can give him a full stroke of the pedal and still play at 280+ bpm.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 PM #92
drumballer

My final statement:
It's not so much the triggers that I'm talking about as much as it is the module you plug them in to. Once the kit has been electrified you can make the damn thing quack like a duck or moo like a cow if you have the right module. You enter a whole differend world that you don't even need real heads on your drums to play in. and yes a lot of them are even velocity sensitive so if you hit the drum soft the sound is quiet, give it a good whack and you can blow out your ears. There are many different kinds of triggers out there so you should probably be a little specific on your explanations before you throw them all into one category. Why is it that if i take a trigger and flick it my finger now sounds like a kick drum or snare instead of a click? Or what about when you trigger a whole kit? The way you describe it all the drums would sound the same but we all know that they don't. Why is this? Because they sound how you PROGRAM them. Anything you can do with an electric kit can now be done with your acoustic and even a set of buckets if you want.

Last edited by drumballer : 01-29-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: i cant type
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM #93
Pizzaman
End Of The Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumballer View Post
My final statement:
It's not so much the triggers that I'm talking about as much as it is the module you plug them in to. Once the kit has been electrified you can make the damn thing quack like a duck or moo like a cow if you have the right module. You enter a whole differend world that you don't even need real heads on your drums to play in. and yes a lot of them are even velocity sensitive so if you hit the drum soft the sound is quiet, give it a good whack and you can blow out your ears. There are many different kinds of triggers out there so you should probably be a little specific on your explanations before you throw them all into one category. Why is it that if i take a trigger and flick it my finger now sounds like a kick drum or snare instead of a click? Or what about when you trigger a whole kit? The way you describe it all the drums would sound the same but we all know that they don't. Why is this? Because they sound how you PROGRAM them. Anything you can do with an electric kit can now be done with your acoustic and even a set of buckets if you want.
Generally, acoustic sets with triggers on snares and toms, sound like complete ****.

Without bass drum triggers, I think it would sound very muddy.

"He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither."

Pizzaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 AM #94
rtman26
"insert lame quote here"

i would say danny carey....increadibly complex...
rtman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:47 PM #95
MtL1504 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KumYxSpYZeQ

Sits like a Jazz drummer, all heel down. 55-58 seconds was probably the sickest death metal drum fill I have ever heard. (Origin)
What song is that?
MtL1504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM #96
METALLICA!!!!

pete sandoval from morbid angel is really good
METALLICA!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:16 PM #97
bizkitfan601

bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bizkitfan601 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtL1504 View Post
What song is that?
Perversion of Hate

"I wonder if there is such a thing in nature as a fat mind? I really think I have met with one or two: minds which could not keep up with the slowest trot in conversation; could not jump over a logical fence to save their lives; always got stuck fast in a narrow argument; and, in short, were fit for nothing but to waddle helplessly through the world"
bizkitfan601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 PM #98
logikip

chorus of This Calling by ATR is awesome. I could get that kind of double bass only one out of maybe 5 times.
logikip is offline   Reply With Quote