PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-06-2008, 04:16 PM #1
agent005
Since 1999

agent005 is an NCPA player
agent005 plays in the APPA D4 division
Did the Tech Ruin the tank and cause a serious injury? PLEASE READ!

Anyone who has extensive knowledge about tanks and regs, please answer.

A serious accident occurred to my friend while at paintball yesterday; he was hit in the head by a tank-gone-bottle rocket. He is currently at the hospital with a serious skull fracture, shattered nose, and multiple lacerations and other serious injuries.

The tank in question was in fact my own-however I was not present at the field, in fact I have not yet used said tank. When I went to the field (which shall be nameless) I asked about the tank. I needed a new fill nipple o-ring, and according to my friend if I had the filter changed it would fill faster (the tank is a crossfire 68/4500 with CP reg). The Master Tech (also the owner) said that removal of the filter will do that-the reg does not even need it.

So I paid the $15 and got the o-ring and filter removed. Later in the day, the o-ring popped again; and again I brought it back to the tech who fixed it for free.

At this point, I was gone. The tank was still being used. The tank was then getting filled in a self-fill station, and it was only filled to about 4100-4300 (he was scared of overfilling). While he removed the fill hose from the fill nipple, something went wrong: the tank instantly became a bottle rocket, hitting my friend less than 10 feet away. He was rushed to the hospital.

Upon inspection of the tank, it appears that the fill nipple never sealed after removing the hose, and the reg was also bent at an angle (as in not being aligned with the rest of the tank).

So what went wrong? Did the tech accidentally mess something up? Why didn't any of the safety featues release the pressure safely? Why is my friend in the hospital for an indefinite amount of time?

PLEASE explain what could have gone wrong-I will try and get pics of the tank in question when it is back in my hands.

EDIT: I put this in another post, however I added it to the original post so readers do not have to go through multiple pages looking for updates.

here is what I have learned from eye witnesses and what I know about my tank.

1)Tank-reg was swapped out for CP reg earlier last year. Was used several times before I bought it. When I purchased it, my friend told me that the tank had a small leak, and that if I got the filter changed that I would get faster fills.

2)Tank sat for a while. I never used the tank for about 4 months. Brought it to the paintball field. Tech there said we can remove the filter altogether and that he would fix the fill nipple o ring.

3)Tank burst while attached to a marker. Friend 1, who was using the tank, let it finish blowing air out. No one hurt. Inspection of the tank (I saw this personally)-there was an o-ring that was coming from where the reg meets the tank. It also appeared to the ref that the bottle looked a little damaged, tech said that the tank was perfectly fine just needed a new o ring.

4)Referee brought the tank, with me, back to tech. Tech was not available to fix before I left.

5)2 hours later I get the phone call. Friend 1, who was using the tank, said that it shot out of his hands, seconds AFTER removing the fill hose. Was not attached to a marker. The tank was only filled to about 4000 psi-being a paranoid scared 14 year old he was wary about filling past that, especially what happened at #3. He let it be known that he was too scared to fill up all the way. I have 1 witness saying the reg became separated from the tank, multiple saying it wasnt.

6)Inspection of tank afterwards from other friends told me that the reg was bent, but that they thought it was probably due to the tank hitting the floor. When I thought about it logically, I do not see how the reg hit the floor, it made no sense to me. The pressure is coming out of the reg, that is the source of energy. Friend 1 says that reg was not bent when he began filling.

7)When the team took my friend, Friend 2 (injured), to the hospital, the tech took the tank away from my players and said he needed to keep it.

8) I have tried calling and emailing about getting my tank back since it is personal property, and I do not want the tank tampered with before anything else happens. The phone is disconnected.

Last edited by agent005 : 01-13-2008 at 08:26 AM.
agent005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM #2
Chunkerz
_

he could have gotten some oil or grease inside the fill nipple, so it may have exploded under the pressure inside the tank?
Chunkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM #3
The_Lead_Factor
Suck it Trebek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkerz View Post
he could have gotten some oil or grease inside the fill nipple, so it may have exploded under the pressure inside the tank?
Probably what happened.... The tech could have had some grease or oil on his hand that rubbed off into the fill nipple.

"Originally posted by DangerousPower: This then preceded to us blindfolding each other and wacking each other off till the first one "came to forwishing" if you know what i mean."
The_Lead_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:46 PM #4
al6737
I like pie (pi) (3.14...)

I know when my fill nipple didn't seal, I couldn't get my tank off of the fill station due to the excess pressure. I had to purge all of the pressure before getting my tank off.
al6737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:55 PM #5
Kenny_McCormic (Banned)

Is the inside of the tank covered in soot?
Kenny_McCormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:00 PM #6
fossilhead
Don't need a helmet

has been a member for 10 years
There are multiple possibilities here. If the tank had been properly bled before pulling the quick disconnect the tank would have emptied through the bleed had the o-ring not sealed. Sometimes the fill nipple orings stick.

If there had been oil or grease in the tank the remains of the tank would have burns or soot from the oil or grease igniting. Not to mention the reg would probably be blown apart.

I personally am against self fill stations. I don't think untrained personell should ever be filling a tank.

Since the entire reg was misaligned with the tank it seems there is a possibility that the reg had been removed at some point and possibly cross threaded back on.

Was the reg ever removed from the tank?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM #7
mandhfire
The Hydro Tester

Cross threaded reg. Now do people understand why only trainned personel should repair or fill high pressure tanks. Just think of the red tape that field is going to go through. Insurance, plus a report is suppose to be filed with the DOT. Once the DOT finds out that an untrainned person filled their tank, SUCKS to be them.
Kenosha, WI 53143

Other's may try to copy my lable, but one thing can not be copied. My application process. This is what sets me appart from the rest. Check this out

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/pics1094.jpg
mandhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:42 PM #8
handyandy
Dyslexic

I would bet that the reg had been removed by someone because he says that it was a "crossfire 68/4500 with a CP reg."
handyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM #9
wilonpill
I eat paint.

Sounds like whoever swapped out your Crossy reg with a CP one is to blame.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:25 PM #10
g3r8s

sorry to here this man..hope your friend recovers
g3r8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:06 PM #11
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by al6737 View Post
I know when my fill nipple didn't seal, I couldn't get my tank off of the fill station due to the excess pressure. I had to purge all of the pressure before getting my tank off.
Right, no way he got the QD off without bleeding out the entire tank with a bad fill nipple.

Might be caused my ignition. Your friend if he kept having the fill nipple repaird might have thought it be a good idea. Who knows better check the tank.

If the tank reg was damaged it could have been weakened. Therefore the pressure possibly ruptured the reg off causing it to basically vent. Or similiar to a crossthreaded reg.

Get us pics.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:21 PM #12
agent005
Since 1999

The CP reg was added to the tank by a trained airsmith.

There was on Oil involved-the player using the tank (which I bought from a player on a reputable D2 team) is a "noob"...however I have confirmed reports that he did everything 100% correct. Once he disconnected the Fill Hose, it was a brief second then the tank "just flew". The player holding the tank suffered no injury.

Right now my suspscion is a cross-threaded reg. The reg was removed from the tank twice that day, I believe both times to fix an oring. I can confirm that the tank is well within hydro testing, and I can also confirm that only 2 people have ever taken the tank apart-the trained airsmith who put the CP reg on, and the tech at the field.

I am personally against self-filling too....which is why I do not allow it at my field (I manage it, and pretty much control everything BUT I don't get padi very well )

Once I get the tank back I will inspect and get pics. Also I WILL find out if the "Master Tech" is certified. I will also be finding out their license/certification information from the county offices.

I have not yet heard from my friend or his parents yet.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:45 PM #13
wilonpill
I eat paint.

What is with you guys and oil in the fill nipple. That was obviously not the problem. I read nothing about fire or heat of any kind.

I think it is safe to assume that the problem was a miss-threaded reg. There is no other way this could happen unless the reg wasn't torqued down enough, but I wonder why the bleed slots did nothing.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM #14
agent005
Since 1999

new update.

The tank in question is apparently in the hands of the tech. It was taken from my friend, he was told that they needed to keep ahold of it.

Which is bull**** this is my personal property and I want it returned.

I tried calling the shop....they have disconnected their phone.

I tried calling the field that recently bought out this field-they do not have an answering machine.

I have just emailed the shop. They are unfortunetly closed on mondays.

I repeat this was not in any way involved with oil. Not one player on my team had oil, we never introduced oil to the tank. If there was oil, it was accidently left by the tech. Which is ACCIDENTAL
Old 01-06-2008, 10:30 PM #15
agent005
Since 1999

Also had to add...the player never got the fill hose off. It shot off, he stopped filling the tank at 4000psi. He is afraid of higher pressures.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 PM #16
grumpyG

im really sorry about your friend. i have no clue what went wrong.

Sexy 07 Borg
grumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:35 PM #17
The_Lead_Factor
Suck it Trebek!

So the fill nipple never sealed and the reg was cross threaded? Seems like that would be the most probable cause here, since the tank never really "exploded".

"Originally posted by DangerousPower: This then preceded to us blindfolding each other and wacking each other off till the first one "came to forwishing" if you know what i mean."
The_Lead_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 PM #18
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

So the tank ripped out the reg threads when it flew off?
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 PM #19
Ziya92
Professional Ninja

Wait did the fill nipple fly off the did the entire reg fly off I am confused.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:03 AM #20
Kenny_McCormic (Banned)

Maybe the aluminum CP reg was over tightened weakening the threads.
Kenny_McCormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 AM #21
fossilhead
Don't need a helmet

could be that the quick disconnect was bad or your fill nipple was bad. I've seen a tank blow off of a disconnect. It's always a good idea to keep a firm grasp on the reg while filling in case those small ball bearings do not hold the fill nipple, or in case the disconnect collar is not all the way 'clicked' in.

Again, this is why only trained people should fill tanks.

There is no reason the reg should have been taken off the tank to fix a fill nipple. A strong possibility remains that the tank or reg threads were damaged during the reg swap.