PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 AM #1
vtdawg404
Interstate Trafficking

vtdawg404 is a Supporting Member
Monster Paintball, Woburn, MA - In-Depth Field Review :tup:

Sorry it took so long to get a review out. I didn't see many reviews on this field so I thought I'd put my $0.02 down...

Field Name: Monster Paintball
Address: Walnut Hill Park, Woburn, MA
Directions: 1 Minute off Exit 35 on I-95
Contact by Phone: 1-781-933-2300
E-Mail: Info@PlayMonsterPaintball.com

Location is great. It's just about one minute off of an I-95 Exit. I used Mapquest the first time and had no trouble at all and the directions were so simple that I easily backtracked my way back to the highway at the end of the day.

First Impression:
My first impression pulling into the parking lot of Monster Paintball was "Wow" just because I'm not used to seeing paintball fields in such pristine looking buildings. Even the outside of this building looked brand spanking new and it was not at all what I expected after seeing many local fields around here in old, rundown, department store buildings etc.

Pricing:
The pricing here is definitely competitive. It's $65 a case with entry/air for the lower quality and it's $80 a case with entry/air for the higher quality Draxxus paint. These prices are a bit cheaper than other indoor fields in the area and they are even cheaper than some outdoor fields. There is also the reball facility where you pay for the time used. There are snapcages and a drill field to practice on. And the reball fees are rather inexpensive. Overall, pricing is quite competitive.

Proshop:
The proshop is well stocked and very clean/new looking. The guy who does repairs their is very qualified and has a lot of experience and knowledge and can be very helpful at times. They've got just about everything you could need from ten different kinds of JT Spectra 260 Lenses to harder to find guns such as Macdev Droids.

Reball Facility:
The reball facility is immediately attractive just because of its low cost. There is a drill field and there are snapcages to practice with. I've used this facility several times. It's usually not very crowded. I recommend going with a friend on a weeknight or something when hardly anyone else or noone is there as it becomes a pretty cool place to just hang out and chill. I was pretty amazed by how much reball made me improve the fundamentals of the sport that often get looked over when playing real paintball. This is also the first reball facility in Massachusetts. And they only use top quality REBALLS, not v-balls, z-balls, ruballs, mightyballs, or any other of those low quality imitators.

Field Facility
:
The field is great. I mean the owners, Nancy and Tony, spared absolutely 0 expense when it came to putting up this field. First let's start with the field itself. It's a top quality X-Ball field, what more could we ask for? The refs work really hard to keep it clean by constantly removing paintballs from the field and cleaning paint off the bunkers to eliminate bunker rub vs. hit problems. Again, it really seems like Nancy and Tony really spared no expense, as if this is the utopia of a paintball field. They have top quality turf in both the field and reball facilities that is quite fun to play on while at the same time not being too slippery.

Staff:
This is a true family business as the two owners and even their kids are always there. The staff is knowledgeable and I believe all of them play paintball at a competitive level so they are quite dedicated to their job. They do actually ref and will get down and dirty with paint checks when necessary and are surely not the infamous slacker type refs that most of us are nearly accustomed to.

Overall Conclusion
I was initially drawn to this field because of it's good location and cheap pricing. This field is the utopia of a paintball field just because these guys did not let cost stop them from building a dream field. From the security system, to the proshop, to the field itself, everything is topnotch. I tried to find some negatives to list in this review but it was surprisingly hard as it is usually really easy to faults in paintball fields. Anyways, my conclusion is that Monster Paintball in Woburn, MA is up there as one of the best fields in New England and I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't seen it yet, head down there for some quality Paintball.

-VT
vtdawg404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 AM #2
PA1NT13A11

-Very good review. I only wish this field was $10-$15 cheaper, kinda like their rotations. Then everyone would go there all the time.
PA1NT13A11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:00 PM #3
Impulse_06
i'm a gangstar.

Impulse_06 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Impulse_06 supports Team VICIOUS
Impulse_06 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
My Review...

It's fairly close to I-95, but it's very difficult to find if you're not somewhat familiar with the area.

First Impression: B
When you pull up you wouldn't know it was a paintball field unless you noticed the monster paintball truck out front, no big sign or any other way you could tell whether it was a field or not. When you first walk in it seems like a pretty nice field.

Pricing: D-
Pricing is way to high for what you're getting. The field is very small, no guarantee that there will be other players there (Sometimes it has a few people, sometimes it's empty), The pricing on paint is way to high.

Proshop: C-
The proshop is very clean but not very well stocked. They don't have a wide selection of merchandise (especially markers).

Reball Facility: B
The reball facility is very nice and very useful. I've used this a few times and feel that my money was well spent in using this facility. The only negative about this is that the refs who come in to check on you always feel the need to give tips and that really gets irritating. If I wanted to join a Monster Paintball Ref Clinic that's what I would've paid for, it's cool if they try to help but it's way over the top there.

Field Facility: D
The field is what the most effort should have been put into, and it clearly was not thought out. The field is so small that it isn't even regulation X-Ball size, and I know this for a fact. When you're building a paintball facility, shouldn't the field have the most effort and thought put into it? What is the point of having a staging area for parents and a reball practice field when the field itself is so small? Overall the area of the field facility was not well planned out. The actual playing aspect of the field is the worst. The employee's clearly do not know how to run the field. They run about 5-6 rental games, 1 open game, and then squeege the bunkers for 30 minutes. Myself and a few friends went to Monster to play, and in 6 hours only played 4 games.

Staff: C-
It's very nice that it's a family run business and that the owners and their children are always there. The ref's seem to not have much training and really don't know what they're doing. The employee's (mainly ref's) are constantly giving you tips which I find useless.

Overall Conclusion: D+
There aren't many options as far as what fields to go to in the area, but I'd rather travel a little more for a better field.
Impulse_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM #4
vtdawg404
Interstate Trafficking

vtdawg404 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_06 View Post
It's fairly close to I-95, but it's very difficult to find if you're not somewhat familiar with the area.
I wasn't at all familiar with the area and found it quite easily. It's a minute or two off of I-95 so how hard can it be with a couple of backroads? I guess from my experience, I had no trouble

First Impression: B
When you pull up you wouldn't know it was a paintball field unless you noticed the monster paintball truck out front, no big sign or any other way you could tell whether it was a field or not. When you first walk in it seems like a pretty nice field.
Uh, what about that huge Monster Paintball banner on the outside of the building and the fact that the building is huge, I.E. the size of a paintball facility.

Pricing: D-
Pricing is way to high for what you're getting. The field is very small, no guarantee that there will be other players there (Sometimes it has a few people, sometimes it's empty), The pricing on paint is way to high.
Not sure I agree here. You should be aware that just the turf they use costs over $50,000. You want to play in a topnotch facility, you have to pay the cost. It's $65 for a case entry, and air. That's cheaper than many outdoor fields! I know a field with a wringles up antique carpet as their "turf" charges 90 for the same thing. The prices are definitely competitive. And I have never been there with nobody playing, today for instance, the place was packed...

Proshop: C-
The proshop is very clean but not very well stocked. They don't have a wide selection of merchandise (especially markers).
Yeah, I noticed that at first. I think it's because being a new field, it may have been difficult to come up with the capital at first. I have also noticed that as time has progressed they have gotten more and more high-end markers, even Droids.

Reball Facility: B
The reball facility is very nice and very useful. I've used this a few times and feel that my money was well spent in using this facility. The only negative about this is that the refs who come in to check on you always feel the need to give tips and that really gets irritating. If I wanted to join a Monster Paintball Ref Clinic that's what I would've paid for, it's cool if they try to help but it's way over the top there.
Really? that's never happened to me. I do agree with you though that it is a great facility. I personally would like it if they gave me tips. I absolutely hate it when I play and have no one coaching me because then I don't really get the full benefit of practicing

Field Facility: D
The field is what the most effort should have been put into, and it clearly was not thought out. The field is so small that it isn't even regulation X-Ball size, and I know this for a fact. When you're building a paintball facility, shouldn't the field have the most effort and thought put into it? What is the point of having a staging area for parents and a reball practice field when the field itself is so small? Overall the area of the field facility was not well planned out. The actual playing aspect of the field is the worst. The employee's clearly do not know how to run the field. They run about 5-6 rental games, 1 open game, and then squeege the bunkers for 30 minutes. Myself and a few friends went to Monster to play, and in 6 hours only played 4 games.
I would have to disagree. I think it just seems small because the field boundaries extend all the way to the wall. The field is in great condition and the refs squeegee the field so they don't have bunker rub vs. hit problems. The field is short of regulation but it's only by a little. It's very well lit and in really good condition. Also, what you said about the employees is definitely not true, most of them play tournament X-ball as it is. I played today and it seemed to go Party Game, Beginner Game, Experienced Game or something of that sort. I got in TONS of games. I would guess between 10-15

Staff: C-
It's very nice that it's a family run business and that the owners and their children are always there. The ref's seem to not have much training and really don't know what they're doing. The employee's (mainly ref's) are constantly giving you tips which I find useless.
I really don't know why you think this. Many of the refs play paintball competitively as it is and are definitely quite knowledgeable.

I put my responses to yours in bold. I don't mean to just argue everything you said, I have just had nothing but great experiences with Monster.
vtdawg404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:40 AM #5
tlane77
I like to pump it

tlane77 plays in the APPA D4 division
tlane77 is a top reviewer
tlane77 is Legendary
tlane77 is Boss
Just so you guys know, it's $80 for rec paint/air/entry and $85 for game paint/air/entry on non rotation days.
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:28 PM #6
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

has been a member for 10 years
impulse06 had issues at one of the rotations and has vowed to never come back.
he was pulled for starting off the start box after being warned........whole nother topic but since then he has been nothing but negative towards us (edit::: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2421658&page=2 conversation starts with post 79 )

pricing:
20 entry air combo
60 dxs field
65 dxs bronze.
tlane hit it right.

vt: thanks for the good words, we put alot of hard work in everyday to bring you a clean, well run facility. wether it be for you the player or your guests, everyone is important to us.

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa

Last edited by phuct : 01-02-2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added content.
phuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 06:36 PM #7
Tivo32
Be Clutch

caz for the win!!
Tivo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:47 PM #8
MonsterPBFan

Indeed. Caz is the man. He has helped me alot and even given me tips on gun repair. Monster Pb is by far the best field around.
MonsterPBFan is offline   Reply With Quote