PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-10-2003, 02:27 PM #22
flippulse
I'm Complicated

has been a member for 10 years
I think that the Global Paintball League is an outstanding tournament series. It is very well represented, with teams coming from north and south of the eastern seaboard, and sometimes even farther. They are not trying to be big, they are a tournament for the region, a platfrom where players from north and south of the east coast, could play each other and meet. I think that despite the 2 events the GPL still lives up to its outstanding regional tournament series.

You must first be unconquerable before you are able to conquer.....

Never start a bar fight, but never lose one!!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2003, 05:08 PM #23
Global Paintball Inc
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Answer to your questions

Quote:
Originally posted by MrDSanchez
I am sorry, but I feel that anyone who was at the second GPL event got hosed, (no pun intended). When the weather conditions are as poor as they were on Sunday, the event should have been canceled or moved to a different date. When 30+ teams either backout or do not show, you think someone would have taken the hint that the conditions were not playable. Come on people, do you think it was a fun event for us? Was getting pneumonia worth it? Personally I thought the decision to let the event play out was disrespectful to all the players and teams.
I am very disappointed in the GPL this year. So far both events have been very prone to disasters. First event it was mechanical failures, (no one to blame, but the situation did stink), and this one was like playing in the shower. When you have to use discarded wooden pallets for bridges over all the running water just to get an air fill is asking a bit much. When standing behind a bunker with water up to and even past your ankles is absurd. The situation should have been better evaluated for the players sake.
To the people behind the GPL, PLEASE give some thought to the players when it comes to situations like we had this past Sunday. Was loosing 30+ teams before even one game was played worth it to you?
Unfortunatly, I can not control the weather, but it did stop raining 90 minutes into the event. I also can not control the wind and temperature.

As far as running the event being disrespectful to the players, maybe you are being disrespectful and selfish!!! What about the 47 teams that wanted to play that event and did? What about the teams that drove over 7 hours the day before and still wanted to play?

As far as loosing 30 teams that did not want to play in the weather that was their decision. And there decision made alot of teams happy that they had less teams to compete against.

To answer you question, we did what the majority of the teams wanted to do.....Play the event and win prizes...I did not want to be there myself...I lost alot of money that day...but I still gave out ALL the prizes as promised.

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 05:16 PM #24
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by Booyahkai
I agree with you 100%. How was anyone going to have fun playing when it was raining sideways. Even after the rain stopped it was windy as heck. My team showed up there hoping that it was pouring down rain. I wasn't going to risk getting my gun wet and possibly damaging my 1000+ gun for some tournament. Cyndi told me that it was ok to play in the rain with my electronic gun cuz everyone the day before played with it and nuhting happened to their gun, but if something happen to my gun i bet you she would have said sorry but ur SOL.

the other thing is i asked cindy if global could push our entry for the next event. and she said NO.
I was also willing to compromise and see if global would atleast push half the entry for the next event and the answer was still NO.

So that was when my team decided to leave. We drove 3 hrs to get there and we had to drive 3 hours to go back home without playing one single game. All i hear from global is how they do everything for the player and how they put the player's needs before thier own. But the last event showed that they just want money. I think the other teams would have gladly agreed to reschedule the event to another date. So in the end global got to keep alot of the entry fee, but they lost out on all the paint they could have sold to the other teams.
First off you never asked Cyndi about your entry. Your just lying at this point. Feel free to call here at 610-966-4780.

As far as you statement about not putting the players needs in front of my needs is so untrue. I did what the majority of the teams wanted that day....play the event. And your statement about it all being about money.....I lost 15K that day but still gave out ALL the prizes as promised.

Brian L. Barno
Old 06-10-2003, 05:24 PM #25
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeyser14
Well, I played two games and fried a loader the very first game. Glad it wasn't a gun board.

This is a post taken from someone else that I came upon, and I couldn't have said it better myself:

I have been to several gpl tourneys now... if you like
to play paintball you won't for long after 1 or 2
events...how disorganized can a tourney be??? why not
ask cyndi p...she is the MASTER of
disorganization...the gpl is a bunch of monkeys
running around trying to grab a bannana someone tied
to thier tails...the gpl has many positive points
...i will list them

1. how would you like to wait 2-4 hours between each
game...well the gpl can help you

2. if your out of shape that is no problem...the gpl
can help...you'll be called to fields all over the god
damn place only to be told your not even on the
field..then you run to another field your called to
only to realize you already played that game 3 hours
ago...then its back to the same field you were just
at...oops your not on this field your on field
one...half a mile later you will be told to just go
wait until your called...expect to walk 50-60 miles
that day!

3. do you have a hearing problem...no problem at all
because no one can understand one thing that comes
over the loud speaker...the gpl hired all of the
teachers charlie brown used to have so you can here
"wah wah wah wa wah wa wah" all day long...

4. sick of playing fair games...thats all over thanks
to the gpl...if you are just a small team trying to
have fun you to can be treated like the piece of crap
they know you are... pulls without hits...starts when
your not ready...loads and loads of fun

5. we all have had this problem...guns that
work...well thats a thing of the past thanks to the
gpl...they will tell sure, you can water proof your
gun, then you can pull off all of it as you run to
your bunkers or you'll be called out...thank god
boards for timmy's and angels and e-cockers are so
cheap!!

6. being screwed around at tourneys is a priveldge not
a right...thanks to the gpl thats not the case, its a
goddamn given!!!

so if you ever get sick of beating yourself in the
face with your claw hammer, c'mon out and let the gpl
beat it for you!!!

As far as waiting 2- 4 hours between game is crap...in the moring while a whole new schedule was made we did start off slow. Then we had to track down teams that were not paying attention to their names being called...even thought we had the schedule under the pavillion being posted as it was completed.

It is also amazing that some team heard the load speaker just fine but you did not.

As far at the rain goes, I guess I can control that....I guess they should have canceled the NPPL Super 7 last week....IT RAINED!!!

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 05:31 PM #26
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by MrDSanchez
Yes, Cindi and the crew do deserve all the complements possible for running such a large event series. It takes untold hours of B.S. to get a series of this size to fly. I recognize their hard work and effort. It does not go unnoticed. That is why we decided to do the series in the first place. We heard nothing but praise about the past events and that alone was the deciding factor for us to play.

But if the shoe was on the other foot, and YOU were the promoter, would you have made the teams play in those conditions? I personally would have canceled the event and either had a "rain date" or just forward all entry fee's to the next scheduled date. It would have been the wise and thoughtful decision to make. Our team drove 3 1/2 hours each way to the event site. Would I have been mad if I went all that way just to be turned back? No, I would have taken it that the promoter was looking out for the best interests for the teams and players.

Cyndi and the GPL crew must also take into account that without the teams and players, they would not have their series. In my honest opinion I think many things should change. For one, the I.D. card system. At the first event we were never once asked to produce our I.D. cards. Not once. The second event we didn't even get them, and we had no problems. Either drop the whole I.D. thing, or enforce it. Registration has also been a nightmare. I waited for over 1 1/2 hours in that shed just to get our schedule and release forms. Maybe they should rethink how to do that more efficiently. With so many teams in attendance, they should limit the people in the shed at registration time to just the team captains. Maybe even rope off some lines for registration, payment, I.D. cards, etc., to make it more organized. Simple things like that would make it easier on everyone involved. How about signs placed above the windows so you know what line to stand in? Not too hard to do. I will say that the schedule/program is very nice. Easy to understand and follow, and it looks very professional to boot. These are my thoughts, take them as you will.

-On a side note-

Some people may feel different about my opinion, and yet, others may agree. It is my given right to say as I feel. If you do not like what I have to say, don't listen. But please do not tell me to be quiet or to go away. I have every right to voice my opinion, as do you. I respect your right to say as you like, and you should give me the same in return. No less, no more. I personally have never said a bad word about Cyndi or her staff. I however, have voiced my opinion on how they run the show. I have every right to say how I feel about this situation, both as a paying customer and as a person.
You cannot make everyone happy all the time, but at least make the attempt.

First of all we did not make anyone play....everyone had a choice and the majority of the teams played.

I agree with you on the registration process. I am looking into a better way to get teams thru it more quickly. I do like some of the things you have suggested.

As far as the ID system....we did have some problems with that at the 2nd event because of the rain delay and we wanted to get the day rolling. We have already caught 4 people trying to "sandbag" in a lower division. So the system works. All the major league are using an ID system.

I do own the best scheduling program on the market and it still has flaws and that is why we do not use it at this time.

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 05:33 PM #27
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by PJpaintPsycho
I think that the fields (4, 5) need to be set up a little differently meaning there needs to be more bunkers. They were set up better this time than last event but I, a front man, got shot on the break running to the homeplate on field 4. I just think there needs to be some planning with the fields and overall less fields to help with some of the problems, (refing, sceduleing, etc)

I will pass this along to the guys that set up the fields.

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 05:35 PM #28
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by Backlash717
i think they should have just took another hour before starting the games and produced a real schedule instead of making one as they go along...that way they didnt have to keep calling every1 over the loud speaker(which i couldnt understand at all)

I am going to put up more speakers so the PA system will be easier to hear.

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 06:28 PM #29
Global Paintball Inc

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
Plain and simple GPL is trying to be too big...they dont have the staff, organization, or experiance to run events of this size. As they have proven with the first two events.

They made themseleves a good reputation at a smaller more controlled venue. Now they are just killing themseleves by trying to get big and have a too many teams.

What GPL isnt lacking in is want for $. Granted no buisness would be formed without the want for $. But at this point in time, nearly every team continuing in the GPL pretty much has "assumed the position"
You can bend over all you want, but the facts are still the same. I lost $15K on the event but still gave out ALL the prizes. Maybe you should look at some of the other leagues and what little they are giving out:

As far as money goes. I lost $15K at that event but still gave out ALL the prizes. Maybe you should try another league. Most of them cost more to play, more for paint and less prizes and no divisions for beginners.

NEPL
Entry A- $350 B-$250 C-$120
Paint is $85 a case
$10K in prizes....prizes not listed in advance

ACTS
entry $300
only 1 class.....novice and beginner teams play in same division as top teams

PanAM
entry A-$675 B-$675 C-$575
$15K in prizes

CVPL
3-man only
entry is $180
only 1 divsion...beginners play experienced teams
NO prizes per event
$12K in overall prizes only
3 case minimum per event
paint $65-$70 case

Brian L. Barno
(610) 966-4780
www.globalpaintball.com
Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM #30
avalanchejh

All you guys ***** about how they are trying to be to big. They are the best around unlike the roosters events where he gives all the prizes to the home team when there are 2 winners tied for the overall events

And if they wanted to they could do what all other tournies do and have a min. to get prizes listed but they dont and that makes going to all there events worth while to go to.

I also think that the only reason you guys ***** so much is because you guys cant win even with 3 divisions. So what you guys need to do is stop giving the gpl crew a hard time because your teams got no game and are being beat by teams that ethier just love to play or they play to win. Ethier way GPL is one of the most Professional events to go to. If you dont think so here is 1 event to prove that they are.

I went to psp vegas and they could of cared less about anything that was going on except for X-ball> Having all the refs calling 10/5 man the new rec ball. So if you guys ever have any thoughts about Gpl being unprofessional the you guys havent seen anything.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:02 PM #31
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally posted by Global Paintball Inc
First off you never asked Cyndi about your entry. Your just lying at this point. Feel free to call here at 610-966-4780.

As far as you statement about not putting the players needs in front of my needs is so untrue. I did what the majority of the teams wanted that day....play the event. And your statement about it all being about money.....I lost 15K that day but still gave out ALL the prizes as promised.

Brian L. Barno
We had two teams entered. BOTH of our captains went up to the regsitration window seperately and asked if we could use entry toward another event. BOTH were told no. Don't tell him he is lying, because I know for a fact that both of our captains asked also and were told no.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:11 PM #32
groupc

its very simple .. if you are not happy dont play there.... vote for or against with your dollars.. assigning blame and starting flame threads achieve nothing but retarded agruments... "if then/ this/else/they said /they didnt say" crap ..... if you want to give constructive crticism go ahead ... but in the end Brian's efforts will be proven by the success or failure his efforts...
Personally GPL is a pretty good series .. there is always room for improvement but that is always the case ... They have had a really crappy run of luck ...
If u want to blame Brian for the weather.. go ahead .. I do .. would it be tourney paintball if we didnt complain? LOL
MINUTEMEN !
Old 06-10-2003, 10:18 PM #33
Call Box

Got to love it!

Ahhhhh, the beauty of public opinion boards. Nothing like the good old he said, she said.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:16 PM #34
GPL Promoter

Quote:
Originally posted by jkeyser14
We had two teams entered. BOTH of our captains went up to the regsitration window seperately and asked if we could use entry toward another event. BOTH were told no. Don't tell him he is lying, because I know for a fact that both of our captains asked also and were told no.

So if that is the case why did one team play and the other did not? Also, the other team left pissed off when we had to suspend a player for throwing his gun. Amazing how people are worried about a gun getting wet but they will throw it and are not worried about that.

As far as entry is concerned, you have nothing to worry about....I have not been paid...boing, boing, boing...if you know what I mean
Old 06-11-2003, 12:41 AM #35
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
One team decided to try and play becasue they we were out so much money and were told we couldn't use it towards another event. Yes our player did something stupid and threw his gun down at his feet. Having to play a player down the rest of the day combined with the fact that we only got two games in after 4 hours and were tired of waiting for you guys to put together the schedule, we decided it would be best to leave. As for the payment, I'm not the one to talk to. But it is interesting how a certain team we talked to got their entry used towards another event and then when we asked just minutes later we were told no. Hypocritical and unprofessional if you ask me.

I understand the weather couldn't be helped, but then again, don't do something for one team and not all of the others.

As for the guns getting wet, they were already soaked by that point, especially after a ref made us take off the tape we had on our guns. I didn't see the point of that either. Stickers are ok, but tape is not? If I would have had a sheet of stickers with me, I would have covered my entire gun in them instead of tape. No difference at all. And as for our sister team who stayed even longer than us, they only had three games in by 2 in the afternoon, so don't say that the games started running smoothly later in the day, unless you mean 3 in the afternoon later (7 hours into the tournament).
Old 06-11-2003, 12:58 AM #36
Tim Haas
I'm right 3 times a day.

Tim Haas is a founding member
yes, conditions were horrible, boards in our guns got fried, but we had fun...it's paintball so deal with it. I love playing no matter what the conditions are. I''ll probably be back at the next event no doubt.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:44 AM #37
flippulse
I'm Complicated

That's the attitude Mr. Tim Haas. That is what paintball is about, just like in any other sport, the love for the game. Paintball is an OUTDOOR sport, with conditions we cannot control right?
To all the people complaining about the conditions, go back indoors go play chess or monopoly or something. While we true paintballers will still fight it out and still have fun.
Tim Haas, thats the true paintball attitude. Sorry about the board though.

Old 06-11-2003, 09:46 AM #38
flippulse
I'm Complicated

Just stop complaining and play paintball, or go indoors and play chess or monopoly.

Old 06-11-2003, 01:41 PM #39
randomballer2

were deffinately going back. for the rest of the series.oh yea. Brian can you tell me if you guys sent our tanks out yet? thanks.

BC

...formally randomballer. i lost my password

reppin the NY flag
Old 06-11-2003, 03:49 PM #40
Soulfly

its cool that youre preventing sandbagging.

however, just look at it from the point of view of an A division player. If I'm playing A, and youre using ID cards as a method of preventing sandbagging, and im playing your top division, and im obviously not a pro player, wouldnt you think its just a nickel and dime move?

the P.A. does need to get louder, i could barely tell it was being used when the call was made for what i gathered was the captains meeting, after asking around a bit.

yeah, globals had a tough start, but its a complete location switch, theyre bound to have a disgusting amount of problems early on.

we decided not to play the event, luckily we didnt lose any money (other than a solid amount of gas money) and we were less than satisfied at the first event for a multitude of reasons including our own play, but id say we more than intend to show for another event or two.

to everyone on this forum, its very simple, to the GPL runners, do what ya gotta do, but if i were you, id try to be above the pissing matches on these forums, simply state the facts and no one can really run against you, but if you take a heavy need to defend yourself on these forums, its less than dignified. Having a strong train of thought is an easy edge over most paintball players.

for those of you complaining about everything under the sun, vote with your wallet, not your keyboard.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:52 PM #41
MrDSanchez
want a mustache?

Re: Answer to your questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Global Paintball Inc
Unfortunatly, I can not control the weather, but it did stop raining 90 minutes into the event. I also can not control the wind and temperature.
Did I ask you to change the weather??? No, but if you could, please ask Cyndi to.

Quote:
As far as running the event being disrespectful to the players, maybe you are being disrespectful and selfish!!! What about the 47 teams that wanted to play that event and did? What about the teams that drove over 7 hours the day before and still wanted to play?
It just felt that we were not given any choices or options. We were never once asked what our opinion was on this situation. If we were asked, we obviously would have said to cancel it. Yes, paintball is a sport and is subject to foul weather. So is professional baseball, NASCAR, NHRA, etc. They are professional sporting events that get canceled or deferred due to weather conditions. Why not paintball? Sure some sports are not subject to weather restrictions, such as the NFL. But why does paintball have to be played rain or shine? A rain date should be set for each event.
I am pretty sure that even the teams that played would have preferred not to play in that weather and field conditions. Did most of the teams grab some sack and play? Yes they did. Do they deserve a medal? No. Did the teams that left deserve to be criticized? No. They made a choice that was in their best interests.

We were one of the teams that drove for many long hours to get to the event. 3 1/2 hour each way to be exact. 7 hours in a truck sucks. It's even worse when your soaking wet and have more mud on you than on the ground.

Quote:
As far as loosing 30 teams that did not want to play in the weather that was their decision. And there decision made alot of teams happy that they had less teams to compete against.
I am sure it did make many of the teams happy, but you did piss off those 30 teams at the same time. Flip side of the coin.

Next time have a rain date. It's simple enough.

Last edited by MrDSanchez : 06-12-2003 at 12:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:04 AM #42
Soulfly

unfortunately for the GPL's situation, rain dates are less than easy. The ref's have to be paid for simply for showing up and commiting their weekend, and how far in advance do you decide to fall back on the rain date? because if its that day, you could have a group of pissed off teams from NY or jersey, or where ever, out cash because they put up money for a hotel and never got to play, not to mention field maintenence and set up. Ultimate air is something that, if you have the choice, you dont wanna just leave outside for the elements for an extra week.

I think a more logical idea is simply have it set so you can transfer money for entry from one event to another. its fair, logical, and pretty simple.

I don't begrudge the GPL for putting on the event. I would however feel alot of resentment if i had paid for the event and wasnt able to play another event instead... if that were the case, im stubborn enough to take my pennies to just about any other event, haha, sounds like how most people think of roughneck.

oh well, good luck with the next event GPL, hopefully mother nature will comply and things will run smoothly.