Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-05-2003, 11:30 PM #1
MrDSanchez
want a mustache?

has been a member for 10 years
Thumbs down Not very professional

I am sorry, but I feel that anyone who was at the second GPL event got hosed, (no pun intended). When the weather conditions are as poor as they were on Sunday, the event should have been canceled or moved to a different date. When 30+ teams either backout or do not show, you think someone would have taken the hint that the conditions were not playable. Come on people, do you think it was a fun event for us? Was getting pneumonia worth it? Personally I thought the decision to let the event play out was disrespectful to all the players and teams.
I am very disappointed in the GPL this year. So far both events have been very prone to disasters. First event it was mechanical failures, (no one to blame, but the situation did stink), and this one was like playing in the shower. When you have to use discarded wooden pallets for bridges over all the running water just to get an air fill is asking a bit much. When standing behind a bunker with water up to and even past your ankles is absurd. The situation should have been better evaluated for the players sake.
To the people behind the GPL, PLEASE give some thought to the players when it comes to situations like we had this past Sunday. Was loosing 30+ teams before even one game was played worth it to you?

Last edited by MrDSanchez : 06-06-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:09 AM #2
Booyahkai

Booyahkai plays in the PSP
Booyahkai plays in the APPA D4 division
I agree with you 100%. How was anyone going to have fun playing when it was raining sideways. Even after the rain stopped it was windy as heck. My team showed up there hoping that it was pouring down rain. I wasn't going to risk getting my gun wet and possibly damaging my 1000+ gun for some tournament. Cyndi told me that it was ok to play in the rain with my electronic gun cuz everyone the day before played with it and nuhting happened to their gun, but if something happen to my gun i bet you she would have said sorry but ur SOL.

the other thing is i asked cindy if global could push our entry for the next event. and she said NO.
I was also willing to compromise and see if global would atleast push half the entry for the next event and the answer was still NO.

So that was when my team decided to leave. We drove 3 hrs to get there and we had to drive 3 hours to go back home without playing one single game. All i hear from global is how they do everything for the player and how they put the player's needs before thier own. But the last event showed that they just want money. I think the other teams would have gladly agreed to reschedule the event to another date. So in the end global got to keep alot of the entry fee, but they lost out on all the paint they could have sold to the other teams.

GUNS for salehttp://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4088591
HUGE TANK SALE!!! http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3863046
Gearbag sale http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3654110
Old 06-06-2003, 12:37 AM #3
jkeyser14
Engineer

jkeyser14 is a founding member
Well, I played two games and fried a loader the very first game. Glad it wasn't a gun board.

This is a post taken from someone else that I came upon, and I couldn't have said it better myself:

I have been to several gpl tourneys now... if you like
to play paintball you won't for long after 1 or 2
events...how disorganized can a tourney be??? why not
ask cyndi p...she is the MASTER of
disorganization...the gpl is a bunch of monkeys
running around trying to grab a bannana someone tied
to thier tails...the gpl has many positive points
...i will list them

1. how would you like to wait 2-4 hours between each
game...well the gpl can help you

2. if your out of shape that is no problem...the gpl
can help...you'll be called to fields all over the god
damn place only to be told your not even on the
field..then you run to another field your called to
only to realize you already played that game 3 hours
ago...then its back to the same field you were just
at...oops your not on this field your on field
one...half a mile later you will be told to just go
wait until your called...expect to walk 50-60 miles
that day!

3. do you have a hearing problem...no problem at all
because no one can understand one thing that comes
over the loud speaker...the gpl hired all of the
teachers charlie brown used to have so you can here
"wah wah wah wa wah wa wah" all day long...

4. sick of playing fair games...thats all over thanks
to the gpl...if you are just a small team trying to
have fun you to can be treated like the piece of crap
they know you are... pulls without hits...starts when
your not ready...loads and loads of fun

5. we all have had this problem...guns that
work...well thats a thing of the past thanks to the
gpl...they will tell sure, you can water proof your
gun, then you can pull off all of it as you run to
your bunkers or you'll be called out...thank god
boards for timmy's and angels and e-cockers are so
cheap!!

6. being screwed around at tourneys is a priveldge not
a right...thanks to the gpl thats not the case, its a
goddamn given!!!

so if you ever get sick of beating yourself in the
face with your claw hammer, c'mon out and let the gpl
beat it for you!!!
Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 AM #4
dannypwr

Annual Supporting Member
dannypwr is a founding member
dannypwr supports our troops
dannypwr supports DLX Technology
How about the players that did stay and play on?
Not for nothing this is Tourny ball not Rec ball.
Brian and Cindy are good people and can't help when s*#t happen, but they do make the best attempt to fix things.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:58 AM #5
randomballer2

we stayed. i see where you guys are coming from with the weather. but its weather the most unpredictable thing in the world. it have to say it was very unorganized cause teams left. but its not like you can have a tournament always on a perfect day. i thought it was fun slidin around like a penguin. but i defffinately got sick. i just hope the next events weather is better. unlike 40 degrees and raining. which i have no clue what that was about its supposed to be june for f*ucks sake.

BC

...formally randomballer. i lost my password

reppin the NY flag
Old 06-06-2003, 02:35 PM #6
WeezPballa
Awaiting Email Confirmation

dude cut cyndi and the gpl a break......they try their hardest to satisfy everyone....ovisouly not everyone wil be happy but at least haev some respect......some of u people are cryin like babies.......id like to see u be in cyndis shoes and do better.......sure the weather did suck but what are u gonna do....i say if ur gonna sit in this forum and criticize, then dont come and go to some other quality tournament series
Old 06-06-2003, 02:54 PM #7
Lost06Boys
eat,sleep,play paintball

well said all
Old 06-06-2003, 04:02 PM #8
Burnt Pixel
east coast killa

Burnt Pixel is a Supporting Member
Burnt Pixel is a founding member
Maybe they should go back to their old location?
Old 06-06-2003, 05:17 PM #9
Dkwak

Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dkwak owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
So I have to agree that the conditions were terrible in the am and we were playing mud ball by the pm, but I guess its all a matter of perspective.
There will always be ballers not interested in getting wet/muddy and possibly frying their boards-point well taken. Then there are the rest of us crazy people who actually find it funny to go sliding into your bunker 6 ft out and would probably play in a monsoon (just no lightening-which there wasn't).
I also think that it is good to vent if you're frustrated, which is what I think forums are for since people know that it just your opinion.
Sure the weather was bad and maybe they should have cancelled it. Sure the schedule was messed up because they had to redo divisions with all of the teams that left (Completely understandable for those teams).
BUT it's still one of the few NE tournament SERIES where you get to play on 5 different fields (UA/hyperball), play on level ground-good for breakouts, against teams from all over (45 teams in 5 man C), fair entrance fees and okay prizes. Hard to find any other series to match.
Again, I don't disagree that the last 2 events have been less than stellar, but I thinks it's only fair to see what they can do with good weather and a normal schedule (air was not a problem at the 2nd event). Just my 2 cents (ended up being a buck for length)
www.pb-addicts.com
http://xpsutah.com/UXP/
1 of 1 Tsunami Gloss DM '11, Spekta Ego CSL, Pure 2 GSL
Old 06-06-2003, 06:04 PM #10
290FPS

With all of this said. How many of you will be coming back?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:48 PM #11
b1uedevi1
Giraffe

b1uedevi1 is a Supporting Member
demonic wont be back
Old 06-06-2003, 09:49 PM #12
Lost06Boys
eat,sleep,play paintball

my team (lost BOys) will be returning for the third event and we will see how it goes
the weather at least wont be cold and the air systems are fixed
i am planing on seeing a change in pace from the last two events
Old 06-06-2003, 11:42 PM #13
MrDSanchez
want a mustache?

Yes, Cindi and the crew do deserve all the complements possible for running such a large event series. It takes untold hours of B.S. to get a series of this size to fly. I recognize their hard work and effort. It does not go unnoticed. That is why we decided to do the series in the first place. We heard nothing but praise about the past events and that alone was the deciding factor for us to play.

But if the shoe was on the other foot, and YOU were the promoter, would you have made the teams play in those conditions? I personally would have canceled the event and either had a "rain date" or just forward all entry fee's to the next scheduled date. It would have been the wise and thoughtful decision to make. Our team drove 3 1/2 hours each way to the event site. Would I have been mad if I went all that way just to be turned back? No, I would have taken it that the promoter was looking out for the best interests for the teams and players.

Cyndi and the GPL crew must also take into account that without the teams and players, they would not have their series. In my honest opinion I think many things should change. For one, the I.D. card system. At the first event we were never once asked to produce our I.D. cards. Not once. The second event we didn't even get them, and we had no problems. Either drop the whole I.D. thing, or enforce it. Registration has also been a nightmare. I waited for over 1 1/2 hours in that shed just to get our schedule and release forms. Maybe they should rethink how to do that more efficiently. With so many teams in attendance, they should limit the people in the shed at registration time to just the team captains. Maybe even rope off some lines for registration, payment, I.D. cards, etc., to make it more organized. Simple things like that would make it easier on everyone involved. How about signs placed above the windows so you know what line to stand in? Not too hard to do. I will say that the schedule/program is very nice. Easy to understand and follow, and it looks very professional to boot. These are my thoughts, take them as you will.

-On a side note-

Some people may feel different about my opinion, and yet, others may agree. It is my given right to say as I feel. If you do not like what I have to say, don't listen. But please do not tell me to be quiet or to go away. I have every right to voice my opinion, as do you. I respect your right to say as you like, and you should give me the same in return. No less, no more. I personally have never said a bad word about Cyndi or her staff. I however, have voiced my opinion on how they run the show. I have every right to say how I feel about this situation, both as a paying customer and as a person.
You cannot make everyone happy all the time, but at least make the attempt.

Last edited by MrDSanchez : 06-06-2003 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:48 PM #14
Dayspring
Automags.org Member

Dayspring is a Supporting Member
Dayspring is playing at Living Legends VII
Dayspring owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
The PBX teams will be there in force as usual.

Automags.org Feedback
Old 06-08-2003, 06:37 AM #15
Tim Haas
I'm right 3 times a day.

Tim Haas is a founding member
Pulsated Junkies should be there once again. Give Cyndi a break...I know the tourney was a mess but it was fun. I mean i hated the refs, paint sucked, waiting to play took forever...but they do try very hard. I agree on the part that it should be moved back to the old spot, because less teams seem to appear at the old place and it seemed a little more in order too. But hey, it's paintball and some things you gotta deal with. It's still the best place around eastern PA to play no doubt. peace1
Old 06-08-2003, 03:30 PM #16
PJpaintPsycho
Team Pulsated Junkies

I think that the fields (4, 5) need to be set up a little differently meaning there needs to be more bunkers. They were set up better this time than last event but I, a front man, got shot on the break running to the homeplate on field 4. I just think there needs to be some planning with the fields and overall less fields to help with some of the problems, (refing, sceduleing, etc)

lasoya timmy black-green fade
KAPP adj. ram cap
eggII
4500/68 crossfire preset low pressure
freak :( looking for hammerhead:)
gen x drop on/off
Old 06-08-2003, 05:00 PM #17
Kappa

if u get shot going there off the break, dont go there, go somewhere else

the field setups for fields 1, 4, and 5 were fine in the 2nd event
Old 06-09-2003, 03:24 PM #18
PSUGhost
Penn State Paintball

PSUGhost is a Supporting Member
PSUGhost is an NCPA player
PSUGhost plays in the APPA D5 division
Interesting

First of all my team played both the three man and the 5-man event in the rain. Yeah we were lucky to not have any electronics problems but angels, timmy's and impy's are not so worthless that a little water will destroy them. But that is really beside the point.

The team at GPL did their best to get an event going, maybe some of you don't understand that tournament paintball is about competition, no matter what. How many pro sports games get cancelled due to weather? Not many. Events like the one we had sunday show just who really wants to win that badly. The three man event only had one team back out, and the weather was just as bad.

Secondly, changing dates would have been impossible, as easy as it may sound there are logistical nightmares up the wall in doing something like that. Not to mention you have to pay the refs anyway for coming out and giving up the weekend...

No one made you leave. Conditions were ****ty, but that couldn't be helped. The best was made from the situation. Try redoing the schedule in under 1 hour with 30+ teams leaving...I've tried it, and I have no idea how in the world Cindi was ever able to pull it off....
Old 06-09-2003, 04:40 PM #19
Backlash717
Ghetto

i think they should have just took another hour before starting the games and produced a real schedule instead of making one as they go along...that way they didnt have to keep calling every1 over the loud speaker(which i couldnt understand at all)
Old 06-09-2003, 04:59 PM #20
Soulfly

actually, i think more teams would have the beef with having their entry money kept and not forward to another event or something, instead their money was put up for nothing, which i understand the concept of a deposit, but would it have been that difficult to do? i mean maybe if there were no real records kept track (which would defeat the purpose in the first place)
Old 06-10-2003, 09:25 AM #21
Stealth Agent
Not*Cal

Stealth Agent is a founding member
Stealth Agent helped look for balloons
Plain and simple GPL is trying to be too big...they dont have the staff, organization, or experiance to run events of this size. As they have proven with the first two events.

They made themseleves a good reputation at a smaller more controlled venue. Now they are just killing themseleves by trying to get big and have a too many teams.

What GPL isnt lacking in is want for $. Granted no buisness would be formed without the want for $. But at this point in time, nearly every team continuing in the GPL pretty much has "assumed the position"
2009 AXBL Champ....Heroes #13
2009 NAX Champs.....USA #13

Thanks for the love & hate....