Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-04-2003, 11:10 AM #1
gastric
Trusted seller! BUY! BUY!

gastric is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lightbulb SUGGESTION: Search this forum

This suggestion should be filed under "usability improvement".

I do a lot of searching (like *everyone* should) and find it very, very annoying that I have to click the main search button and then pick the forum from the long, long list. It would be much faster if I'm currently in the Impulse forum and press Search if it would open the standard search screen but with Impulse preselected in the listbox. Seriously, it would shave at least 3.742 seconds off each of my searches.

This is primarly annoying because I'm a keyboard man. Back in the old days before there was a billion forums the listbox was sorted alphabetically. I could tab to the listbox and press "I" repeatedly until Impulse showed up. Now the listbox has all of the items prepended with dashes and what not making it impossible to use the keyboard to easily pick from the list.

Ideally the main Search button would just magically pass the forum identifier and preselect that forum in the list. If I'm not in a specific forum the Search screen would look like it currently does. It would also be acceptable to have a specific link/button in the forum (like the subscribe to forum/mark forum read links).
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2003, 11:14 AM #2
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
well, you'll be happy to know that in vbulletin 3.0, there's a box in every forum to "search this forum" to save you from straining those weak wrists of yours

i'll look into seeing if we can hack in the "passing of the forum " torch-variable into search, but i can't make any promises!

Old 06-04-2003, 08:55 PM #3
Tony
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I think you have a good suggestion. But, there is a search field located on every page that lists threads.

Bottom of the page on the right.