Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-22-2008, 02:55 AM #22
xXxpbdestroyerxXx

i think its becuase one from the early day went they "MARKED" trees and cattle and because gun is more agresive and when u hear gun u think of war and destruction and when u hear marker u think of like crayola lol or stuff more fun
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 AM #23
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Paintball guns are guns and we are shooting someone with an object when we play, there is no getting around that.

The term marker was invented because the guns were used to mark trees and cattle.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:55 AM #24
scrounger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
in the late-90s there was a big push to get paintball out of the woods. industry leaders though that the image and such of woodsball was holding paintball back, so they they decided to PC the entire sport. guns became markers and feilds got bright and friendly.
Ahhhh someone who knows (or like me lived) the history of paintball.

As you can see it did not work.

I understand if some states and/or local laws require calling them markers for legal reasons...this is justified and ok.

Beyond that, (it has been said here, but I will say it again) they are viewed by the public, used like and called by us on fields GUNS.

Yes we "technically" mark each other with paint. But that is to show we are hit. We are (and called in all safety briefing) SHOOTING AT EACH OTHER. We do not say "don't mark the head", but "don't take head shots" (at some fields).

We have realize and/or get over 3 basic facts of our sport.

1. Our sport we are actively targeting another human being with a device that shoots a paint projectile that can cause serious harm or death (NOTE IF IMPROPERLY USED), with the intent of hitting said individual. This (right , wrong or otherwise) implies violence. It does not matter, or viewed by the public, if it is a tournament, scenerio, or woodsball.

2. We use something that has a barrel and shoots a projectile. The public, police (if improperly displayed/used), schools and common sense says/viewed as a gun. You are logically going to be laughed at/taken as calling someone stupid if you pull out (for example) an tippman X-7 and say "this is a marker". It convinces no one. Even if it is a spider, talon, or autococker, it still looks/acts like a gun.

3. The term "GUN" is used for an object that projects something (liquid or solid) or to describe an object that looks like it could. Is is appled to potoato guns, water guns (before PC crap), cap guns, paintball guns, BB/pellet guns, ect. IT IS NOT LIMITED TO OR IMPLY AN OBJECT IS A FIREARM. Just because it does not shoot bullets, at X velocity, it does not mean it is not a gun, just it is not a FIREARM.

In conclusion, we (sadly) live it a Zelot, anti gun, anti physical (outside of "accepted/traditional" sports) contests, overboard PC world. It took us at least 2 generations to get into this mess, it will take time and courage to get some perspective/common sense back in the word. No amount of flashy colors or renaming of an object is going to change that.

The ONLY thing we can do is control how we act (honorable, clean, non vulgar (word or deed) play) on and off the field, and not tolerating/turning in/refusing to play with those that are.

This way we can show the public when jonny num-nut (and friends) go on a out-the-car shooting spree that they are not part of, supported by, made fun of/outcasts of our paintball comunity. Then the opposition has no leg to stand on.

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:30 AM #25
pbman657 (Banned)
dude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ wowowowowowowowow ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he knows his stuff
pbman657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:35 PM #26
FreeRunner740
yoda i am

gun= fires bullet combustion like shell powder ect.
marker= something else some one pick this up ran out of monster... late at night cant remember....ahhh!!!

some of my best work
FreeRunner740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:50 PM #27
agrove91
i shoot sideline coaches

just dont use "guns"
agrove91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:12 PM #28
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekeirsh View Post
actually if you go back to the early days of paintball the "guns" were used to mark cattle out in the field with different colors. As you can imagine it picked up the name marker. The term gun wasnt used until the balls were aimed at people not cows.
Man I bet the animal police were thrilled about that
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next 3 minutes, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.." Matty Marshal
(quote found by magman687)
Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 AM #29
NightKreeper

NightKreeper is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
NightKreeper plays in the PSP
NightKreeper plays in the APPA D4 division
i will NEVER call it a "marker". its got a barrel, trigger, and goes bang as it shoots something at someone. its a GUN.
Planet Eclipse
G.I. Sportz
V-Force
Exalt
NightKreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM #30
nate89 (Banned)
gnarly dgafin bamf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
in the late-90s there was a big push to get paintball out of the woods. industry leaders though that the image and such of woodsball was holding paintball back, so they they decided to PC the entire sport. guns became markers and feilds got bright and friendly.
nate89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:44 PM #31
maldon007
I make grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRunner740 View Post
gun= fires bullet combustion like shell powder ect.
marker= something else some one pick this up ran out of monster... late at night cant remember....ahhh!!!
Any of these items fire a bullet or use powder?

Water gun, hot glue gun, grease gun, net gun, radar gun, staple gun, rubberband gun, electron gun (in your tv), paistry frosting gun, taser gun, nail gun, caulking gun, airsoft gun, stun gun, label gun?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM #32
123canon

it's called political correctness. which IMHO sucks and will be the downfall of society as we know it...
Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 PM #33
Matt Maillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer1184 View Post
if you learned about the history of paintball, the things used to mark trees were kinda like a paintball gun, as paintball guns were produced, they were called markers because they marked things, read up on the history.
^^^ you are correct sir.

wow talk about people posting what they think which is totaly WRONG.. if you have no idea why, don't post for chocolat shack !!!

~~ Killing for Moncton Korruption ~~ ** B/S/T Perfection Mafia **

PBN Feedback --> +21/0-
Matt Maillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM #34
Kahnif

I always say marker, if you say gun you might as well tell people you load paintbullets into your gun to kill people because that's the impression people get.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:28 AM #35
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelCockerRocker View Post
tons of guns fire way under 1200 fps...
such as?
PMR Frame/Board F/s
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 PM #36
cockerpunk (Banned)
Show Me the Data

has been a member for 10 years
snob nose 38?

if i remember right thats somewheres in the 850 fps.

muzzle loaders are never high velocity. short barrels and short cartridges make for low velocity.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:59 AM #37
Voxx

When I first started going in like 98 we called it markers not guns, hits not kills, out not death... etc.

This was always explained to me as a way to bring paintball out of the "scary" zone it had seemed to be put into by soccer moms and adults. Kids weren't suppose to play with guns and kill each other. We were trying to mainstream paintball, get more players on the fields and scare less people.

Now I even hear new little kids calling em bullets instead of paint. :shrug:

Seems like a lot of us players from back then still use the PC terminology.
Voxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 AM #38
xboxdave13
Fame not Fortune

xboxdave13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xboxdave13 supports Team VICIOUS
I dont shoot bullets
I dont shoot people
I dont shoot a gun
I dont kill

I eliminate my opponent with a Mark of paint, no differant than if I was to "tag" him out with my hands.

Im new to the sport, but personally dont like when my teamates say "alright we won, we killed there whole team"

Firing a Gun at somone is completely differant that firing a paintball marker at someone. If we based all our definitions on what the ignorant/public views it as; then it wouldnt be just paintball that has problems.
xboxdave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:50 PM #39
shishdisma
Captain Analogy

shishdisma helped look for balloons
shishdisma is reppin' sidebar 4 life
If it fires a projectile, its a gun, end of story... You can sugar coat it all you want, and whine and moan about paintballs nonexistent "image" all you want, but in the end, it all comes down to what people think.

If youre pointing a paintball gun at someone, or a person sees you with a gun, and they say "Oh my God, a paintball gun!!!" When you say "Its not a gun, its a marker", their not going to say "Ooooooooh, its a marker, my mistake, now Im perfectly fine."

My point is, its not the name that scares them, its the damage the guns can do that has them spooked.

Originally Posted by GreasyPigeon-
Damn son even a mod is ripping on you. Your life does suck

2/8/08-Prom Text message, I was there
shishdisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM #40
cool panda

cool panda owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKreeper View Post
i will NEVER call it a "marker". its got a barrel, trigger, and goes bang as it shoots something at someone. its a GUN.
the only reason it has a barrel, trigger and goes bang when it shoots something at someone is because thats the most efficient way. the barrel is needed to make the ball fly at a more predictable trajectory. the marker doesnt technically have a trigger, it has a micro switch that sends the electrical signal to a solinoid that opens a valve to release air to launch the ball. if you look, there is not a single gun that has a micro switch, air regulators, or solinoids. and the bamg is made because thats the form that the energy takes when there is a release of pressure. it does launch a projectile like a gun does however, so does a slingshot and no one calls that a gun. hair dryers, most drills,and many other items have a triggers and even look like a guns and no one calls them a gun. and as for the barrels, all it is used for is to guide the ball so it is more accurate. and just because you "shoot" someone with a marker, doesnt mean its a gun. you "shoot" craps, theres no gun involved there. the word shoot usually is used more in reference to the action of a projectile from anything. not neccisarily just guns. so, to sum up, just because a paintball marker has similar features as a reagular gun, that doesnt make it a gun.

Oh snap past life as space dust
cool panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM #41
cool panda

cool panda owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
such as?
google search .22 short fps

you will find that the .22 caliber short rifle ammunition fires at a velocity of 1045 fps.

some colt .45 shoots at 875 fps

im sure there are more but i dont have time now

Oh snap past life as space dust
cool panda is offline   Reply With Quote