Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 AM #64
JFBomber
Joint Fury Plank-Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-TB View Post
And where is Doc John and the Illuminati when you need them? 3/4 of the people that play these days wouldn't ever play the scenario games of old. And I for one am pretty darn sad for that.
Amen to that.........
Charmin
Nachos
The Question Mark "?" TM
AND our Newest Sponsor.........GOO be GONE! (For when the paste-eaters take over your local paintball game)

JOINT FURY: TERRORIZING THE PAINTBALL COMMUNITY AT LARGE SINCE 1996
JFBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 PM #65
10-shot kid

Barney: sorry I didn't get to you first, just wasn't mentally preparied yet I've edited the original post with an addemdum so that a "last viper game" issue doesn't occur again

"I was taught by the same people that you say taught you. I know who you're talking about and you know I know."

I know what you know you think you know about what I know. Couldn't help the dodgeball refrence Seriously though yea, you taught me game skills and others tought me skills gone over here. You know the main contributors

You also know that this guide would be far "worse" if those who taught me, that I know you know what they knew that I now know, wrote it. I know you know that this guide is, for lack of a better term, less potent than what they and I used to do. It's adapted, albiet slightly, to the new "modern" stance on doing what I used to do.

"The game is dumb down."

exactly my issue and reason for posting this guide. I also tire of people just not "getting it" because of how much the game has been dummed down. I disagree though that places like stratagey plus which have a high percentage of experienced players are the only places to play similar to how we used to. Things have changed, our tactics and understanding of the game must change with it, but there is no reason to resolve ourselves to the red v. blue mentality that is the new way of things.

I completely understand your position and where your coming from though. You still play in the same spirit the game used to be, and I will always respect you for that.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM #66
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
And where is Doc John and the Illuminati when you need them? 3/4 of the people that play these days wouldn't ever play the scenario games of old. And I for one am pretty darn sad for that.
Thats a damn good question
Harbinger[TG] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:27 PM #67
Stryker42
CTC Heavy Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-shot kid View Post
Silence, one of the leading generals in the NE who has been both hurt and helped by me has already commented on how what I do improves the game and also injures it in some ways. Go read his posts before telling me how awful I am, he's a little more experienced than you. Also actually read the guide before commenting, those seeking glory are not adapted to this role. Furtermore Roleplayers are not just nuetral, they can be on one side or another. Come back to me when you've been around a bit longer.
Case in point, Deadwood. Not only were we one side or the other, the whole Green side was in it for ourselves! Now THAT was roleplaying at its best right there! Double-dealing, double-crossing, barrel tagging, trading, and swindling.

NOTE: From here on, this is personal opinion and does not reflect on my team or field in any way, shape or form.

Though that's off the topic of scumbaggery, it does clear the air a bit about role-playing under attack. A great time was had by all, including those that were held up (myself included) and there was not one 'glue eater' style complaint.

Personally, I find this extremely clever and even if I was the for lack of a better word the 'victim' I applaud it. I would never myself do it because of my affiliations, but this tactic has earned my respect. Should I ever go solo, I would seriously consider doing this.

Last edited by Stryker42 : 12-22-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Stryker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM #68
THE-TB (Banned)
BOS

Roleplaying isn't about doube dealing, role playing is about playing your role. It is this stance that has done more to damage role play then just about anything else.
THE-TB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:48 PM #69
Silentsniper xx

Well said TB, for once I think we agree on something.
Silentsniper xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 PM #70
Stryker42
CTC Heavy Weapons

Quote:
Roleplaying isn't about doube dealing, role playing is about playing your role. It is this stance that has done more to damage role play then just about anything else.
I meant in the context of the scenario. At Deadwood, that really was what it was all about. Naturally at, say, ION, the roles would be radically different. I'm sorry, I know how I phrased it and should have mentioned it, but I meant on the level of that scenario, not roleplaying in general.
Stryker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 PM #71
TBFGhost
TBF Captain

....cry baby's....all of you.....whine whine and whine some more b/c someone took the time to think about what they were doing and handed you your ***....this is almost as bad as "The gun hits" post.... I have been playing scenario for only 3 years and from what I have heard from older players I would die just to go play some real paintball back in the day....just once...

www.jointfury.com
TBFGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:29 PM #72
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
....cry baby's....all of you.....whine whine and whine some more b/c someone took the time to think about what they were doing and handed you your ***....this is almost as bad as "The gun hits" post.... I have been playing scenario for only 3 years and from what I have heard from older players I would die just to go play some real paintball back in the day....just once...
I can arrange that death for paintball thing, for a small fee of course.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:30 PM #73
JFBomber
Joint Fury Plank-Owner

Quote:
DITTO
Charmin
Nachos
The Question Mark "?" TM
AND our Newest Sponsor.........GOO be GONE! (For when the paste-eaters take over your local paintball game)

JOINT FURY: TERRORIZING THE PAINTBALL COMMUNITY AT LARGE SINCE 1996
JFBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:33 PM #74
TBFGhost
TBF Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger[TG] View Post
I can arrange that death for paintball thing, for a small fee of course.
....DO IT TO IT SIR....SEE YOU AT THE NEXT GAME

www.jointfury.com
Old 12-22-2007, 10:55 PM #75
tshields
Mr. MVP, Ask about Me!

tshields donated to help Peyton Trent
tshields is playing at Living Legends III
tshields supports our troops
tshields is attending Decay of Nations VI
Thumbs up

Quote:
Couldn't have said it any better.....

I Inspire Fear and Engender Hate........
Deadpool -- "I.M. Terrible brings you another captivating poem on one of PBnation's great trash talkers Mr. Shields"
tshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:17 AM #76
BarneyNY
I'm the Purple guy!

Annual Supporting Member
BarneyNY is a Supporting Member
BarneyNY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Come up to that StrategyPlus next western theme (The Good, Bad and Ugly). You'll get to have a feel for the old days. It's not exact but it comes close to it. At the last game due to the role I was playing. I stole two horses (stick horse, props) role playing in the camp area during a poker game.
WestPoint 2005 Battle of Bastogne MVT (RT Raiders); 2006 Spring Game VC - MVP; 2008 Battle of Bulge German - Co-MVP; Skirmish 2007 Staligrad Russian - MVP; HiVi 2008 Death Before Dishonor - Sportsmanship; StrategyPlus 2009 WOA - Co-MVP; 2010 Legion - MoFo; 2011 Russian Front - Russian MVP; 2012 Quickshot - Divided Front - MVP; EMR 2013 March Meltdown - MVP
www.bluescrewtv.com; www.emrpaintball.com; www.cousinspaintball.com; www.paintballsportsny.com
BarneyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 AM #77
The Glitch
Myrmidon's Web Monkey

Yes Ghost you should definitely check it out, the more scalps the merrier!!

as for playing like a scumbag: Hey if you don't break any rules then it's all fair to me. I personally walk off the field with a smirk when someone pulls one over on me. I respect players who can think outside of the box and use innovative methods to best their opponent. It's what scenario is all about. If you want a game where everyone is forced to play within the same parameters then speedball might be a better option for you.

Proud to be apart of the Strategy Plus Family.
For top quality scenario play at a modest price, there's no better choice!

Fueled by EMPIRE Paintball
The Glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 AM #78
TBFGhost
TBF Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
If you want a game where everyone is forced to play within the same parameters then speedball might be a better option for you.
Exactly or the SPPL, if you want to think, and I am not talking about basic flanking tactics and BS, role play duirng a scenario.

www.jointfury.com
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 PM #79
Tradeguy
Dead Tank Driver

Tradeguy is a Supporting Member
My first "true" scenario game was back in 2000, and we just assumed that the whole game was a "roleplaying" game with paintball markers. The first game we heard about was Area 51 by Wayne a couple of years earlier, and it sounded really cool - he had an actual alien autopsy chamber.

What suprised me, even back then, was what some people considered "roleplaying", which seemed more like "lets see how we can fool noobs" than anything that had to do with their roles.

Let me clarify what I mean...

When I started playing, a well-known veteran player told me about the "lost hopper ploy" - you wander into enemy territory without a marker and tell the players "don't shoot! I lost my hopper", while you are really running a recon mission. The person that told me this honestly believed this was an very clever move. Almost as clever as a dead-man's walk.

While I accepted that this is common play for a scenario game, it seemed to me (and my team) that this was just a cheap, really unimaginative, trick. Perfectly legal. But what does this have to do with a roleplaying game?

We decided early on that this was not how WE were going to play the game. I have no problem with others playing this way, but it wasn't really the kind of challenge we were looking for in a scenario game. Personally, I like feeling as if I am part of the story, and I like having a hand in how that story is told. Isn't that what roleplaying is and why it's fun? I honestly think this is what Wayne had in mind when he invented the sport.

But it's also a game with a winner and a loser. Knowing how a game is scored - where are the points coming from - is also key. So I've always felt that the challenge of roleplaying is "how do I take this role and make it work for my team". I like taking "partisan" roles that are definitely loyal to our gneral/leader for this reason. (I have played completely neutral roles before, and quite frankly, I didn't like it).

You can also do quite a bit of these things without having an "official" role as well.

We probably created over a hundred fake props over the years - not just cause it was fun making them - but they are useful. We've traded fake props countless times for real game props and money (both worth points). At one game we created a series of fake props along with fake documents and a fake quest that were so compelling to the enemy that they wasted most of their time and energy trying to solve the (fake) riddle. All of this done completely in character and blended into the actual storyline.

We've also completed dozens of regular missions as roleplayers - while in character - sometimes in costume (lol) - and not once did we have to resort to a "lost hopper" ploy.

I've played games where I was so trusted as a roleplayer that I could sit in the enemy base and watch them go out on missions while I radioed the intel directly to our general.

When we have been involved in the command for games, we see rp's as assets that can be used to garner points.

For example....an aliens vs marines game. We came into possession of an alien device that could compel anyone to tell the truth. We knew that the enemy had a large cache of very valuable props somewhere on the field. Our general (Davi) put our sides best squad (Knightmare Tango) center field, while I setup a roleplayer meeting with the enemy XO - I was a US Senator working for the aliens. I let him pick the location and time. We met, I played the alien device, he gave us a location - which I immediately radioed to the general - and KT took out the building with the props.

To me, this is what a scenario game is all about.

At 2001 Blanding, Viper was our general. We put C4 and a vile of nerve gas into a real geiger counter and left it on the field. An enemy player found it, brought it back to General Jim, who safely stored it under his command table. Now, what I think made this a cool move is that at any time they could of flipped the 2 clips that held the top of the device closed and actually seen what looked like actual C4 and a vile of liquid. We detonated the device with a remote trigger, destroying the base, killing the general, and - best part - rendered the base useless for nearly 30 minutes. This blew at least 2 missions they didn't get to run.

Scenario ball is a thinking man's game if you choose to play it that way.

Ever played a game with Trapper of the Virginia Irregulars? This man plays the game the way he chooses. He often creates his own role. He not only makes the game more interesting, but if you decide to avail yourself of his rp services, it will equal points for your side.

A lot of new players think of scenario ball as either a "big game" where you just go out and shoot the other side - or a purely tactical exercise. The cool thing about scenario ball is that you CAN play it that way.

But eventually, I hope, you're going to find yourself in a real scenario game. Where something unexpected happens and you have to figure it out to "win". Where not only do you find some "strange prop", but you might even have to figure out how to use it. Where the players that know and understand the rules have a huge tactical advantage because they understand that to win any game, you have to know how it's scored.

10-Shot, I probably wouldn't do some of the things you did - and you probably wouldn't of done some of the things I've done - but I think we both played the game more like it was intended to be played than most.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:53 PM #80
AJ. (Banned)

This is brilliant!

AJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 PM #81
Maximus D. Meridius
RUN N GUN 4 FUN

Maximus D. Meridius owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Maximus D. Meridius owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
At almost every "scenario" I have attended at Skirmish, there are players (ones that have those rental camo coveralls mostly) that leave at lunchtime and piles of them WITH their IDs ziptied to them are lying all over the parking lot and in trash cans. Obtaining an ID this way could not be considered cheating/theft-
The "role" or actions of spies are always a hot topic, but if its part of the game rules, have a plan in place to minimize the damage that can be done to your team. This type of play has made me be more aware of who is around, defend props more intently and learn from MY mistakes in judgement.
Maximus D. Meridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:56 PM #82
10-shot kid

"At almost every "scenario" I have attended at Skirmish, there are players (ones that have those rental camo coveralls mostly) that leave at lunchtime and piles of them WITH their IDs ziptied to them are lying all over the parking lot and in trash cans."

It would seem as if there is more than one way to snag an ID after all Glad to see people thinking about this now.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM #83
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
You do realize that the only thing this thread does is make a ref's job become a nightmare! There's a difference between thinking outside the box, and manipulating the rules in such a way so as to create an unpleasant atmosphere. Then when someone falls victim to the tactics displayed on this "how to thread," hostility is created. And what does one do with that hostility? They wipe, they play-on, and possibly fire re-balls. Then after the game, we all read about how a bunch of jerks were wiping, playing-on, and firing re-balls. So the next time you become the brunt of someone's hostility, stop a moment and think which rules you manipulated to cause this hostile person to become hostile in the first place.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:46 PM #84
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)
BOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
You do realize that the only thing this thread does is make a ref's job become a nightmare! There's a difference between thinking outside the box, and manipulating the rules in such a way so as to create an unpleasant atmosphere. Then when someone falls victim to the tactics displayed on this "how to thread," hostility is created. And what does one do with that hostility? They wipe, they play-on, and possibly fire re-balls. Then after the game, we all read about how a bunch of jerks were wiping, playing-on, and firing re-balls. So the next time you become the brunt of someone's hostility, stop a moment and think which rules you manipulated to cause this hostile person to become hostile in the first place.
Doubtful, as most of these oldschool tactics, as well as role playing go unseen to 90% of the players.
ReplyScenario Ups