Community Focus

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM #22
butthole-surfer

butthole-surfer is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalDonkey View Post
http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php

This is a really good site that plays the chord for you and also plays scales.
Also has a tuner! I use chordbook daily for strange chord voicings and to learn goofy scales. Biggest tip I can give for learning guitar is to sit and just play notes. Make up your own little licks and write them down, figure out what notes you played by counting up the fretboard and remember the notes. It's a good way to learn where your notes are and much more fulfilling than memorization from a book. Of course no matter what you do get some books or find some sites that you can learn from when you're not figuring stuff out alone. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the world that are totally willing to help out new players. I've gone over to my local music shop a few times just to ask some strange questions that I couldn't google or to talk about music.

Also, don't go upgrading too fast when you start getting good. If you can make a crappy instrument sound good you can do wonders with a high-quality git!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM #23
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthole-surfer View Post
Also has a tuner! I use chordbook daily for strange chord voicings and to learn goofy scales. Biggest tip I can give for learning guitar is to sit and just play notes. Make up your own little licks and write them down, figure out what notes you played by counting up the fretboard and remember the notes. It's a good way to learn where your notes are and much more fulfilling than memorization from a book. Of course no matter what you do get some books or find some sites that you can learn from when you're not figuring stuff out alone. There are a lot of knowledgeable people in the world that are totally willing to help out new players. I've gone over to my local music shop a few times just to ask some strange questions that I couldn't google or to talk about music.

Also, don't go upgrading too fast when you start getting good. If you can make a crappy instrument sound good you can do wonders with a high-quality git!
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
I also saw that your tab wasn't lined up perfectly, to make it perfect change the font to "Courier New" and it should line up right.
Badass, thanks dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer325 View Post

Sticky it.
<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBp8ntballaLP508 View Post
Very nice. I vote for sticky since this is such a common thread at least lately. Leave it open for beginner guitar questions and whatnot for the more experienced players to answer or suggest. Nice job.
Thanks dude.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 PM #24
Overgrownm00se
Euphorically Oblivious

You should probably add Sweetwater to the list of places to buy guitar equipment. They are basically the most badass online buying site ever. They assign you a sales rep for every order you make and personally e-mail and call you throughout and after your ordering process to make sure everything goes smoothly.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM #25
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Will do, I totally forgot about them.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 PM #26
ProRef
STFU!! GTFO!!

www.chordie.com is a good place to get chords and tabs. They have like 5 different instruments you can choose from. You create an account and have a song book where you can keep your favorite songs.
ProRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 PM #27
imyourfrend
My body is a wonderland..

Add in JustinGuitar.com for me. Justin Sandercoe, has like 200 videos out on youtube for the learning guitarists, from songs to scales, he covers it all. And on some things, he has the tabs with them also.

WTB Gun and Tank: $250 PM me.
imyourfrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:39 PM #28
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Added both
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 PM #29
TommyGuitar

Great sticky AG. I respect you.
TommyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM #30
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuitar View Post
Great sticky AG. I respect you.
Thanks man, that means alot.

And thank you guys for the recommendations! Any questions, ask it here, I will always get back to you.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:59 PM #31
ThatsWhatSheSaid (Banned)

I think we should make a list of all the best guitarists in each genre for influences and other people to look to for guitar techniques.
ThatsWhatSheSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:01 PM #32
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaid View Post
I think we should make a list of all the best guitarists in each genre for influences and other people to look to for guitar techniques.
Nah, this is just a beginners faq. I think we should stick to basics.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:39 PM #33
protomatrix101
ShuggAdugg

protomatrix101 posts videos on PbNation
Ok, ive been playing guitar or trying to at lease haha. I read on about TABS and i kinda get them. But i was wondering if anyone had links and videos to teach me power chords and all the basics.

XBL-Synergy07
protomatrix101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:41 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by protomatrix101 View Post
Ok, ive been playing guitar or trying to at lease haha. I read on about TABS and i kinda get them. But i was wondering if anyone had links and videos to teach me power chords and all the basics.
http://youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe
I'm sure he has a lot of power chord lessons
Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 PM #35
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

If you want a book of Chords, get Mel Bay's Deluxe Encyclopedia of Chords.

Easily the best, most complete chord book. Ever.

http://www.amazon.com/Bays-Deluxe-En.../dp/0871666642
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:04 PM #36
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Well I just got my guitar today for X-mas (we opened presents early) and I've never played before. I can play the simple Smoke on the water intro, but who can't? I need some good simple tabs to play that mainly work with on string or just one fret so I can get used to moving from one to another easily. That's my problem, I can hit each note but it takes me 3 hours between each strum. I also haven't realized do I strum all the strings or just the ones that have #'s on them? Thanks in advance and hopefully someone sees this tonight.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

XBL GT: KimJung Is BOSS
paintball_KIA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:19 PM #37
skinnybones

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_KIA4 View Post
Well I just got my guitar today for X-mas (we opened presents early) and I've never played before. I can play the simple Smoke on the water intro, but who can't? I need some good simple tabs to play that mainly work with on string or just one fret so I can get used to moving from one to another easily. That's my problem, I can hit each note but it takes me 3 hours between each strum. I also haven't realized do I strum all the strings or just the ones that have #'s on them? Thanks in advance and hopefully someone sees this tonight.
got to start off small dude
i just got my guitar and im just learning basic stuff
Old 12-25-2007, 04:26 PM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_KIA4 View Post
Just take it slow. And make sure before you hit a note/chord that you have it fingered perfectly, it will help you in the long run. And yes you only strum the strings that have the numbers on them.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:07 PM #39
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Thanks. I practiced for like 6 hours last night and I learned a few songs and a few intros. I got almost all the x-mas songs down lol. I'm getting it pretty good now.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

Old 12-25-2007, 05:25 PM #40

That's awesome, I suggest you learn how a 12-bar blues is played out, that's what I taught someone else that got their first guitar today.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:02 PM #41
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

12 bar blues?

Old 01-07-2008, 09:54 PM #42
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)

It uses your I chord, IV chord, and your V chord. Here's how it looks:
your G will be your I chord, C will be your IV chord, and an D will be your V chord. Each letter represents a measure in 4/4 time.

l I l I l I l I l
l IV l IV l I l I l
l V l IV l I l V l

Last edited by ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 : 11-15-2008 at 02:25 PM.
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote