Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM #295
Stephencraigs87

Excellent post
Stephencraigs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM #296
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
I have a question, I got a guitar (brand new) from guitar center for $89 and it has two Gibson p90 pickups in it. I noticed the pickups sell for $141 each, so how is it that two of them are in my guitar for only $89 total? Do they just inflate the price when they sell the pickups separately? And because of this, would it be possible for me to profit from this by buying a bunch of these guitars and selling the pickups for more money?
What guitar do you think they're selling with real Gibson P90s? I think you're confused, no offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephencraigs87 View Post
Excellent post
-.-
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM #297
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
What guitar do you think they're selling with real Gibson P90s? I think you're confused, no offense.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lectric-guitar
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM #298
Stagger Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake360 View Post
Yeah, those are copies of Gibson P90s, not made by Gibson. A lot of people get confused because of the misleading description by Epiphone, thinking Gibson is the only company making P90s. IIRC there have been a number of very unhappy customers, purchasing LE Epiphones in the $600 range (like the 56) expecting Gibson pickups, only to find they're copies.

That's not to say they're bad pickups, but they don't hold the value that authentic Gibson-made P90s do. If you were to remove them, I believe they say either Epiphone *country of origin* or "EP90" (Epihone P90) inside, so they can't be resold and passed as Gibsons.

Last edited by Stagger Lee : 01-24-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Stagger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:05 PM #299
Blake360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagger Lee View Post
Yeah, those are copies of Gibson P90s, not made by Gibson. A lot of people get confused because of the misleading description by Epiphone, thinking Gibson is the only company making P90s. IIRC there have been a number of very unhappy customers, purchasing LE Epiphones in the $600 range (like the 56) expecting Gibson pickups, only to find they're copies.

That's not to say they're bad pickups, but they don't hold the value that authentic Gibson-made P90s do. If you were to remove them, I believe they say either Epiphone *country of origin* or "EP90" (Epihone P90) inside, so they can't be resold and passed as Gibsons.
Thanks for clarifying, so if the pickups say Gibson in the name, would that mean they are real Gibson pickups and not copies? Such as in this epiphone for example:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les...m-Plus-GX.aspx
Blake360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM #300
Stagger Lee

That one in particular has real Gibson-made pickups, and they come in different models (one has EMGs). The Epiphone Ace Frehley model also uses brand-name pickups (DiMarzio). With their expensive models, they start to use higher end parts and electronics, at least, parts that are more well recognized. Epiphone makes nice stuff, but most people wouldn't pay $700+ for an Epiphone if it had the same components as their $150-$400ish models.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM #301
earlsweatshirt (Banned)
Lets get weird

I regret never learning how to read music. Curse you tabs!
earlsweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 AM #302
Stagger Lee

I can't even read tabs really. I just bought a used Casio keyboard hoping to learn more behind music, it has all kinds of programmed lessons and stuff. The keys laid out so simply compared to guitar, it's consistent and easy to visualize on. I'm happy with my ability to play guitar and that I learn by listening, but it would be awesome to read music and be able to play it on different instruments.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 PM #303
earlsweatshirt (Banned)
Lets get weird

If you can count then you can read tabs, its super easy. Which is why I don't really like them, I want more of a challenge.
earlsweatshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM #304
makogameshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by reactionkilla View Post
If you dont have a Gibson and a Marshall, youre going to suck.
Gibson= yes!!!!!
Marshall= no! They suck! Give off a buzzing noise. Mesa boogie's rule!

2k5ed texas storm timmy
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...guns/timmy.jpg
makogameshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM #305
IPlaySoccer
Resident Chelsea Fan

IPlaySoccer is playing at Living Legends VII
IPlaySoccer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
IPlaySoccer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
IPlaySoccer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Thank you!
IPlaySoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM #306
t94j0
'Murica

t94j0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
t94j0 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
t94j0 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
t94j0 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Wow

Hey, thanks for this guide. I really want to start after a friend got me a guitar, but I didn't want to pay for lessons.
Thanks.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM #307
Craptacular001
Bad Speler

Annual Supporting Member
Craptacular001 is BST Legit
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Craptacular001 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Craptacular001 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Craptacular001 supports DLX Technology
Craptacular001 supports Empire
I find many things wrong with this guide. It wasn't even exactly right for it's time. I worked for Guitar Center in 2007 and tried my hardest not to sell a pack during the Xmas rush. The packs are.... OK.... but if you are looking for a good set up figure you are going to spend $450-600 new $300-$350 used. It's just like PB guys, if you don't know what you are looking for in a gun or guitar you are going to pay for the learning experience.

If you are looking at a "Fender" Squire, Ibanez (among many many others) or other pack coming from Indonesia then they are coming from a company called PT Cort. I have toured the facility, I currently work in this industry and I know what I am talking about. Fender and Ibanez both bought a production line from them (that is it is impressive I will give you that.. I don't know how much they spent on that.. ) The quality from this factory.... well... you get what you pay for..

Look... when I started playing guitar (bass now) the store that my parents bought from was dead on.. "you will lose $150 in this venture, you can buy they $150 pack and trash it if he doesn't continue or you can buy the $300 guitar + the amp and be able to resell for $150 if he doesn't".

My thing when I sold retail was that we spend so much on sports(paintball, swimming?!?, and others) but we want to cheap out when it comes to instruments... I don't know why but that is the mentality of parents. If they would pay for a quality instrument then the retention may be better in the long run.

I am by no means saying that an import instrument is not good.. I have seen imports be amazing instruments... just do some research... If you want to reach out to me I will be glad to help. I work in this industry on the manufacturer side. I'm more than happy to help guide you.

Last edited by Craptacular001 : 11-21-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Craptacular001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM #308
Azonic2002
Low Budget Baller

Azonic2002 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Azonic2002 plays in the APPA beginner division
Azonic2002 supports Empire
I go on Ultimate-guitar way more than I'd like to admit. If you want to play rock, Three Days Grace actually has a lot of songs that just use drop D and power chords. Nothing overly technical.
#21 Team Zeta
Azonic2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:58 PM #309
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
So im looking into getting an acoustic guitar. im 100% brand new to guitar. I played a tiny bit of violin in middle school...that was well over 10 years ago.

Ive narrowed my choices down to a Yamaha FG7xx series. I dont know the differences between the 700-750 enough to know which is better. The FG700S has Nato back/sides where the 730S has rosewood back/sides. I think maybe the 750 has mohogony back/sides? im not sure They all have a sitka spruce top.

Ive been watching a bunch of youtube videos trying to get an understanding of what to look for (low action, solid top, etc..) Should i just get the 700s? or shoot for the fancier wood on the 730? idk! Helppp

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:44 AM #310
Atomic_gerbil
<3's Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
So im looking into getting an acoustic guitar. im 100% brand new to guitar. I played a tiny bit of violin in middle school...that was well over 10 years ago.

Ive narrowed my choices down to a Yamaha FG7xx series. I dont know the differences between the 700-750 enough to know which is better. The FG700S has Nato back/sides where the 730S has rosewood back/sides. I think maybe the 750 has mohogony back/sides? im not sure They all have a sitka spruce top.

Ive been watching a bunch of youtube videos trying to get an understanding of what to look for (low action, solid top, etc..) Should i just get the 700s? or shoot for the fancier wood on the 730? idk! Helppp
Honestly,

(and I'm sorry to those I haven't replied to, drunk at the moment)

I have an Alvarez acoustic guitar that I paid 400$ for brand new (AD60SC) and it's been the best sounding acoustic I have played that I can afford. Sure, 1500 dollar taylors sound great, but lets be realistic here. In my opinion, Alvarez is the king of cheaper acoustics. Bar none. Just be sure to go with the ones that are the SOLID spruce top. You won't be disappointed.

After some research, Alvarez has discountinued that line in favor of a AD70 series. Highly advise you check them out. They have so much voice for a cheaper acoustic guitar, it's incredible. I literally JUDGE taylors and martins based on my Alvarez.

Last edited by Atomic_gerbil : 03-06-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Atomic_gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:04 PM #311
KING_GEEDORAH

KING_GEEDORAH plays in the PSP
KING_GEEDORAH plays in the APPA D2 division
one thing i didnt see on the main post is transcribing.tabs are well and good, but if youre really serious abut guitar, you need to develop your ear. justinguitar.com is a awesome site to check out for free lessons, and there is even a section on transcribing.
KING_GEEDORAH is offline   Reply With Quote