PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-20-2008, 08:37 PM #211
zoink
cats cats cats

zoink is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I played guitar for about 2 years in high school, and stopped playing about 4 years ago. I've been thinking pretty heavily about getting into it again but don't have a ton of money to spend. I was into rock back when I played before so I didn't really have a strong chord base down (lazy ), and of course I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned >.<. I'd like to play more rhythm-based stuff at first this time around, which would be more suited for an acoustic guitar, but because I'm only going to have time to practice at night I'm thinking I'm going to have to get an electric and use headphones so I don't wake the roommates >.>. I saw the packages in the first post, but I think I want to just get a guitar for now and get my basics back down then spend a little more money on a halfway decent amp a little later down the road. I know those amps in the starter kits are terrible. Like I said I don't have a ton of money to spend, so what are the better guitars I should be looking for in the 120-150 dollar range? Just from a little looking around this is one I saw mentioned:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=519795
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2008, 08:45 PM #212
:nododgy:

epiphone maybe
:nododgy: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:55 PM #213
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
orionz06 donated to help Peyton Trent
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
peavey vypyr sounded decent today at GC...
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:08 PM #214
Ando, raider from mx (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoink View Post
I played guitar for about 2 years in high school, and stopped playing about 4 years ago. I've been thinking pretty heavily about getting into it again but don't have a ton of money to spend. I was into rock back when I played before so I didn't really have a strong chord base down (lazy ), and of course I've forgotten pretty much everything I learned >.<. I'd like to play more rhythm-based stuff at first this time around, which would be more suited for an acoustic guitar, but because I'm only going to have time to practice at night I'm thinking I'm going to have to get an electric and use headphones so I don't wake the roommates >.>. I saw the packages in the first post, but I think I want to just get a guitar for now and get my basics back down then spend a little more money on a halfway decent amp a little later down the road. I know those amps in the starter kits are terrible. Like I said I don't have a ton of money to spend, so what are the better guitars I should be looking for in the 120-150 dollar range? Just from a little looking around this is one I saw mentioned:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=519795
go for an agile lp

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss4.html

something there should suit your fancy, they're probably the best first guitar company out there
Ando, raider from mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:40 PM #215
zoink
cats cats cats

Probably a little out of my price range :/
Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM #216
i ate christ
MLK Unleashed

i ate christ plays in the PSP
i ate christ donated to help Peyton Trent
i ate christ supports Pev's Paintball
i ate christ is All In
I have been playing for a few months now but I have been using a guitar that I got for free when I was young and it is 3/4 the size of a regular guitar. I was looking through a magazine (music123 - they are my local store) and I am having a hard time picking out a guitar. I am looking at the under $200 range, acoustic or acoustic/electric (I don't play electric yet, but plan on it in the future aka I'll give it another year before I drop the money on a nice setup). Any suggestions on a nice cheap but good looking guitar? I have played for a total of 4 years but it has been nearly 10 since I last played and I've picked it up again and love it.

Thanks, any suggestions or you need more info to help me pick out a guitar, PM me.

iOS Android & WP Dev
Link to Google :)
i ate christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM #217
zoink
cats cats cats

Read around a bit and ended up ordering one of the Douglas Shadow LP's from rondo music. Hopefully will be a fairly decent cheap guitar to get me back into things. Like I said I'm going to be running through my computer to start with, so far I've downloaded this software ( sans pedalboard of course ), audacity and guitar pro. Any other useful software I should look into acquiring?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:52 PM #218
THEPEACEMAKER
Awaiting Email Confirmation

need some help here. im a total noob to guitars. but i wana start BAD so my parents said for christmas i could pick out a guitar and amp. i want to play classic rock with a little bit of harder stuff. what guitar/amp set up should i get. also will i need anything else, im low on cash. thanks (electric obviously)

http://www.rondomusic.com/fulcrumwhite.html
i was thinking about this. for a starter? its not realy a big factor but i want a classic look. like a V.

Protecting sters from flammers

Need a flame suit???

PROTECT Serve
And looking damn fine doing it

Last edited by THEPEACEMAKER : 10-02-2008 at 07:59 PM.
THEPEACEMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 AM #219
spboy12369

Hey, im new and so im looking at buying my first guitar. I wanna get into playing rock and here is one guitar ive found, is this worth the money, or is there better deals i should look at? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...70-i1150103.gc
spboy12369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM #220
Big Chocolate Man
Ex 248er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spboy12369 View Post
Hey, im new and so im looking at buying my first guitar. I wanna get into playing rock and here is one guitar ive found, is this worth the money, or is there better deals i should look at? http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...70-i1150103.gc
The Special two isnt a bad guitar, in fact i started playing with that almost 6 years ago.

But I would suggest an Ibanez EXCEPT for the RG's that cost under 200!
At most GCs you can usually get Ibanez packages for $250 because even they look like metal guitars, they actually get quite nice blues tone. I have an RGE3X1 and it has beautiful bluesy tones.

Originally posted by Tha Ego Kid:"today sucked balls, I was outside, and our school officer thought i was being "suspicious", then he looked through my gum case and grabbed my gum.
Big Chocolate Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:44 PM #221
scornful

http://guitarboost.com/ is a great site for beginners
scornful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:59 PM #222
NinJaaaaaaaaaah
It's joe dirte brah

Honestly i woulden't start out buying a starter pack. They're really not that great of a deal. You get a pretty crappy amp usually(but then again, tone dosen't really matter when your starting out) and you can find some really good deal on used guitars and amps at a pawnshop/ebay.

Just yesterday i bought a Jackson JS30RR for $200 and it's originally $300 and i saw a IbanezJS20 for $100. Only thing wrong with the jackson that i got is there is a little ding in the paint. You just have to know what are the good deals, and what aren't.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=519417

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=482798

An example is those 2. That's $230 for both of those. It will play better than most starter kits, you can even use the amp after you've gotten better, and it costs less than most starter kits.

Just my 2cents.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 AM #223
topgogogo

very good!
topgogogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 AM #224
TommyGuitar

Quote:
Read around a bit and ended up ordering one of the Douglas Shadow LP's from rondo music. Hopefully will be a fairly decent cheap guitar to get me back into things. Like I said I'm going to be running through my computer to start with, so far I've downloaded this software ( sans pedalboard of course ), audacity and guitar pro. Any other useful software I should look into acquiring?
Good for you, Rondo has good ****.
Guitar Rig should be fun! I hope you have a decent set of phones or speakers. Also, your stock soundcard is probably not the greatest, so unfortunately there might be a hum, some sorts of wierd noise, or a delay in between what you play and when it comes out.

Last edited by TommyGuitar : 10-15-2008 at 03:09 AM.
TommyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM #225
Victornivorskii

if you dont act now you'll regret not starting ever i enjoy playing my guitar alot.
Victornivorskii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 PM #226
THEPEACEMAKER
Awaiting Email Confirmation

so i have no clue about guitars, but i desperatly want to play, and dont want to spend over 350. (well cant my family is rather tight on cash) i was looking at the eppiphone sg pack....http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=518745 this might be good because of the wider neck(i have kinda big hands)

and the strat squier packhttp://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...DSP?sku=512576 thanks for any imput on which would better suit me.

Protecting sters from flammers

Need a flame suit???

PROTECT Serve
And looking damn fine doing it
THEPEACEMAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM #227
paintball56

paintball56 helped look for balloons
subscibing

PINK SAPPHIRE AND DIAMOND KEY NECKALCE - ZALES - CLICK ME

Help me pay the bills, Quitting "for now" gearbag sale

"Originally posted by Redzballer31: Curling is the only sport that women are better than men at, because it's all about sweeping."
paintball56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM #228
XSVFAN890 V2.0
I'll meet you overboard.

XSVFAN890 V2.0 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
XSVFAN890 V2.0 supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPEACEMAKER View Post
so i have no clue about guitars, but i desperatly want to play, and dont want to spend over 350. (well cant my family is rather tight on cash) i was looking at the eppiphone sg pack....http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ack?sku=518745 this might be good because of the wider neck(i have kinda big hands)

and the strat squier packhttp://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...DSP?sku=512576 thanks for any imput on which would better suit me.
I would take the Strat over the Epi, just b/c Squire (IMO) has better low-end models...the amp is **** though, so be ready to save to upgrade...

"Originally posted by averydabeast: xsv always comes up with clutch gifs."
"Originally posted by Rawrrz: ****ing laughed so hard"
"Originally posted by ZeR0 EVOlution: lol'd so hard, I legitimately teared up. This thread is magical."
"Originally posted by B2KOwNeR12: this post wins so much. :tup:"
XSVFAN890 V2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:06 AM #229
Jane's Diary

Quote:
Probably a little out of my price range :/
Should have just dropped $100 on a used Squire Strat and slapped a nice humbucker in the bridge.
Jane's Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM #230
Crumb8284
Fancy Feast

Alrighty now...I am pretty new to ST:Music so first off, Hi there .

I just got an acoustic guitar for Christmas and am quite happy. My uncle used to play and said he's going to teach me a few things (how to read the music etc.). Now I know and have been looking at tabs and everything but I am curious around how much would a starter book go for?

My guitar didn't come with a book And around how much would a tuner go for?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:50 PM #231
TommyGuitar

$20 each.
TommyGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote