PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-03-2003, 03:48 PM #22
/-\dam
****in Yut

has been a member for 10 years
ill admit even though i dont like afi their guitarist did have a great solo in their new album. but i dont like that cd at all. havent heard their older stuff the only reason ive heard that one is because my sister has it.

Tennessee Titans
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2003, 03:53 PM #23
JudoChopJosh
Take On Me

Quote:
omg that name should not even be in a thread like this. that band is holy. but yeah some of the definitions could label alot of other bands as emo.

some people might think i have a shallow taste in music. but i just hold bands to a high standard. and this emo and pop punk(and most punk) just doesnt cut it. its ok if people like that but ive got to a have a great vocalist and a jaw dropping guitarist. ive never heard of a punk band that has a guitarist who shreds in their songs but if someone can tell some that do ill check them out and tell you what i think.
You might like Navio Forge.

Quote:
I'm sure there's tons of reasons you're an idiot, nobody said anything about AFI.

As to your first comment, nobody says you have to have posted on a paintball forum for a long time to know anything about music. But to come into any environment where you are new and don't know anybody and immediately take this self superior attitude of "Uh no you're wrong. Listen carefully to me speak, for I am correct and so shall pass down these three statements" is jsut plain being a dick. Not all true life lessons are learned on pb-"quadruple-asterisk"-nation but one you'd do well to pick up on is not to come into a new environment and start with the attitude right away. That life lesson is free, most one's you come across aren't so cheap
Well you seemed to be saying I shouldn't pretend to know anything about emo because I haven't posted here long, when in fact I know quite a bit. I'm sorry if I came across as having a superior attitude, I was simply pointing out that a lot of what people considered emo, was not even close. And like I said (which you obviouslly either skipped over or didn't bother to read), I've been here for a month and know a few people here.
Once again, sorry for discussing music in a music forum.
all these ghost towns share a name
anywhere, usa
all these strangers look the same
day after day after day
-Cursive
Old 06-03-2003, 03:54 PM #24
JudoChopJosh
Take On Me

And I wasn't putting down AFI, it was sort of a joke because when I mentioned I didn't like AFI some people got pissed.
anywhere, usa
day after day after day
-Cursive
Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 PM #25
TheFauxKing
EVIL OVERLORD

TheFauxKing is a Supporting Member
All the same, what differentiates "emo" from a self absorbed pity party weakly disguised as music? I mean, come on, the whole notion of "expressing emotion" through music is about as redundant as the idea of delivering rain drops using clouds. Emotions and music are inseperable ... always has been, always will be.

* There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
AVISO: No coloca en la boca ni recto
The Evil Overlord and Evil Enterprises, Incorporated do not condone the abuse of homosexuals, the elderly or of children. We donít really care about baby seals, though. The opinions expressed by the Evil Overlord are not necessarily those of PbNation.com and/or their sponsors. (Non-Member Non-grata: Gay Nazis for Christ)
Old 06-03-2003, 04:11 PM #26
JudoChopJosh
Take On Me

Faux, I'm just curious, did you check out any of the bands I used as examples?
anywhere, usa
day after day after day
-Cursive
Old 06-04-2003, 12:26 PM #27
elTwitcho

Hey Judo, is your avatar animated or are these fluorescent lights just damaging my retinas?

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
Old 06-04-2003, 06:22 PM #28
Mag Master 21
Residential Dyno Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by elTwitcho
Whiney crap punk about how bro's girlfriend left him and every day he's so sad.
You couldn't be any more wrong!
"You and I have the courage to say to our enemies there is a price we will not pay, there is a point beyond they must not advance.. You and I have a rendezvous with destiny, we'll preserve for our children, this the last best hope of man on earth or we'll sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness."
- Ronald Reagan
Old 06-04-2003, 06:37 PM #29
JudoChopJosh
Take On Me

Quote:
Hey Judo, is your avatar animated or are these fluorescent lights just damaging my retinas?
Haha pretty sure it's not animated.
So are we cool?
anywhere, usa
day after day after day
-Cursive
Old 06-04-2003, 07:42 PM #30
elTwitcho

No I'm obviously not cool since I'm seeing stationary images as animated... never a good sign.

And dude I don't take anything personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't care chances are pretty good I don't care.

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 06-04-2003, 10:19 PM #31
Thr33
Banned

Thr33 is a founding member
I think I summed up emo pretty well last week when I said..
"Emo is a sub-genre of hardcore. In emo you write songs about how you got dumped by the chick, then you whine. Example Emo lyric- ' If I could only see you now, for about an hour. Give me just a minute, just to ask. What he's got that I don't have?' "
Old 06-05-2003, 07:29 AM #32
HearshotKidDisaster (Banned)

HearshotKidDisaster is a Supporting Member
no, you just based emo on lyrical contents alone which isnt even the half of it. and your wrong about the lyrics aswell, they have been proven to not be based on only relationships. thats just a stereotype.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:54 AM #33
Thr33
Banned

Thr33 is a founding member
Shhhhhh
Old 06-05-2003, 11:28 AM #34
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally posted by HearshotKidDisaster
no, you just based emo on lyrical contents alone which isnt even the half of it. and your wrong about the lyrics aswell, they have been proven to not be based on only relationships. thats just a stereotype.
mmmhmmm

How can you "prove" something that is subjective? I'd like to see a link to this scientific study where they "proved" this point you mention...

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 06-05-2003, 02:49 PM #35

Quote:
mmmhmmm

How can you "prove" something that is subjective? I'd like to see a link to this scientific study where they "proved" this point you mention...
your kidding right?

if your not, i suggest you take in to consideration the fact that just because the word proven is listed in the dictionary a certain way has nothing to do with the fact that the context can be changed to fit a desired purpose. for instance, for anyone who has been recently writing essays for their higschool/college finals based on an opinion, many people use the word prove depending on how many valid reasons you can come up with, which would persuade a person into agreeing with the point they are trying to make. in our case here, look at the band glassjaw, they PROVE other stereotypes wrong by not only writing about relationships, but also writing many songs about experiences with terminal sicknesses and time spent in the hospital.

dude, youve really got to think about what you are typing before you go and make a post, because from what ive noticed in my short time being here, youve done nothing but make half-witted statements and be a wise-*** to everyone. unfortunetly in the modern world, thats not how you make friends. (and for that matter girls either ).
Old 06-05-2003, 03:37 PM #36
elTwitcho

Quote:
your kidding right?

if your not, i suggest you take in to consideration the fact that just because the word proven is listed in the dictionary a certain way has nothing to do with the fact that the context can be changed to fit a desired purpose. for instance, for anyone who has been recently writing essays for their higschool/college finals based on an opinion, many people use the word prove depending on how many valid reasons you can come up with, which would persuade a person into agreeing with the point they are trying to make. in our case here, look at the band glassjaw, they PROVE other stereotypes wrong by not only writing about relationships, but also writing many songs about experiences with terminal sicknesses and time spent in the hospital.

dude, youve really got to think about what you are typing before you go and make a post, because from what ive noticed in my short time being here, youve done nothing but make half-witted statements and be a wise-*** to everyone. unfortunetly in the modern world, thats not how you make friends. (and for that matter girls either ).
Yes the reason I post on pbnation is because I'm learning how to make friends (and for that matter girls too) I'm just fine with my circle of friends, thanks for the advice...

And thanks for missing the point too. For one thing you can't "prove" anything subjective. Because you're convinced of something hardly means it has been proven.

The entire point, is that your definition of emo is no more right than anyone elses. You might think it's one thing but acting self righteous like you're the only person with an informed opinion is stupid. You can complain and moan till you're blue in the face with your "No way dude, it's emotional hardcore 'cause I totally read it in a magazine" but it's still not going to be anymore right than some kid who listens to Blink 182 and Good Charlotte and calls it emo either. There's no definitive definition of emo that the whole world can agree on and until then there will continue to be two schools of though; those that think it's one thing and those that act like condescending self righteous dillholes because their definition isn't the mainstream definition and they're more "with it".

And you know dude, being a self righteous dillhole isn't the way to make friends (or girls either for that matter :p )

twitch slaps me around
Because of small cock
Old 06-05-2003, 04:52 PM #37
JudoChopJosh
Take On Me

Quote:
The entire point, is that your definition of emo is no more right than anyone elses. You might think it's one thing but acting self righteous like you're the only person with an informed opinion is stupid. You can complain and moan till you're blue in the face with your "No way dude, it's emotional hardcore 'cause I totally read it in a magazine" but it's still not going to be anymore right than some kid who listens to Blink 182 and Good Charlotte and calls it emo either. There's no definitive definition of emo that the whole world can agree on and until then there will continue to be two schools of though; those that think it's one thing and those that act like condescending self righteous dillholes because their definition isn't the mainstream definition and they're more "with it".
I agree there's no set definition, but there are the bands that started emo and you can make a general assumption based on those roots.
anywhere, usa
day after day after day
-Cursive
Old 06-05-2003, 06:07 PM #38

Quote:
Yes the reason I post on pbnation is because I'm learning how to make friends (and for that matter girls too) I'm just fine with my circle of friends, thanks for the advice...

And thanks for missing the point too. For one thing you can't "prove" anything subjective. Because you're convinced of something hardly means it has been proven.

And you know dude, being a self righteous dillhole isn't the way to make friends (or girls either for that matter :p )
1. im not trying to be a dillhole, im just sick of people posting flames or other insults in response to my or anyone elses original post with something that really doesnt have much to do with the what was being said other than the fact that what was used was a bad choice of words.

2. i used the word "proven" in my post because imo, there is enough PROOF to show that emo isnt only based around getting dumped etc. etc.

3. for the most part i feel the same way you feel about emo also in the fact that emo is a wide enough genre so that just about anything considered emo, is infact emo (with some boundaries ofcourse). infact i made a post earlier about that on this thread i think. i just feel that emo has a history and roots as judochopjosh said, that slowly molded into somethign new.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:17 PM #39
Ov3rmind
Banned

It's a downhill battle .
Old 06-08-2003, 10:33 PM #40

you just upset me by putting that up.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:39 PM #41
Ov3rmind
Banned

Quote:
you just upset me by putting that up.
I know, the ignorance blinded me like a solar eclipse.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:16 PM #42

in the long run though, ive come to feel that we shouldnt be worried about things like emo, metal, rap or anything like that. because in my opinion, music shouldnt really be categorized, because well... its music. and it can serve its purpose without having to be divided into small pieces. i have to say i use these terms more then i should (dont be a smart *** and say you just did again), but i do have to say i find it easier to describe certain bands by using a genre basis, as well as other reasons. but i have to say its unfortunate to see something as magnificent as music be reduced to the level it has dropped to. sadly, not only is it that the music is beginning to suck, but the people who listen are too.

not me of course