Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 AM #1
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

has been a member for 10 years
Who remembers playing at Gotcha?

907 mentioned Gotcha over in the new Old School section, and I figured I'd post over here just for a little fun.

Who remembers playing at Gotcha? Let's hear your stories.

We drove up and played there once, which must have been late '95, very possibly early '96. The normal play was using their SL-68II pumps, but as I recall, every Thursday, I think it was, they had an "open" night where you could bring your own gun.

We drove up for one of those days, and had a lot of fun.

There were a couple of sore points though. The rental mask- which you had to use- was an old aftermarket mask called a Cool Pro. It was sort of like the old X-Fire goggles, but was made of perforated aluminum sheet, and used old JT WhipperSnapper goggles.

The masks were spray-painted in fluorescent colors to mark the teams, red and yellow. After a game or two, I noticed the "house" team had the red masks, which didn't glow much under the blacklights, while us walk-ons had the yellow ones- which glowed like friggin' searchlights.

And, it took us several games to get used to the gaps under the barricades- the bunkers were T-shaped cast concrete walls mounted on casters. The experienced players would shoot through the gaps and hit the other players in the feet.

That and I think I suffered a little permanent hearing loss from the full-blast, up-past-11 stereo system. That concrete box was already an echo chamber, and that noise just turned it into a distorted mess.

Anybody remember when they closed down? I thought it was around '97 or so. And didn't it change hands at least once?

Also, while we're reminiscing, how about Body Shot out in Palmer? That's another one we drove up for- but just once.

It was back in, I think '93, and the owner- Drew somebody?- set up a special "big game" where he and the Dutch Boyzz went out into the field and hid, and when the game started, we were supposed to run out and find them. Except the only entrances to the dense wooded field was through two or three pathways- it only took a couple of games before I started getting real tired of that particular fish-in-a-barrel scenario.

I still had some fun that day, but it was also frustrating, and I had less than zero interest in ever going back. Driving three hours just to be a moving target for some Dutch Boy shooting ProBall at 375 FPS wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

Doc.
(Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.)
NEW, too! The Definitive Guide to Paintball in the Movies!
DocsMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2015, 08:01 AM #2
907gunslingers

907gunslingers has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
907gunslingers supports Ninja Paintball
GOTCHA oh yeah I remember. That was my first place to play paintball. I actually went and bought my own sl-68 from the firing line (was an indoor pistol range) because of gotcha. Don't remember much other than the loud music and those bunkers on casters were the worst when the floor was covered in paint which it always was the bunkers would move when you ran into them making you fall down thus leaving you to get shot. Great times. Paint was sold in 10rd tubes. Man I wanna play.
Armagillo black/white jt proflex red/gray
Listen, you don稚 know me, son, so I知 gonna say this once: if I ever kill you, you値l be awake, you値l be facing me, and you値l be armed. ~Mal

victoriam favet paratam
907gunslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:33 PM #3
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

Like I mentioned over in the OS post, I thought I had a clipping from a newspaper article about Gotcha. I couldn't find the actual clipping (which I'm sure I still have, somewhere) but by blind luck, I found a copy of a partial scan I made about a million years ago:

It's hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure that's a short-barrel PMI Pirahna, with one of those old 45-round "Ammo Box" loaders just jammed into the feed neck. (No elbow.)

That's an old PMI Pursuit helmet- they were cool for the day, but a little heavy, but had a poor and unsafe lens retention.

So sometime between '91, and when we went up to play in '95 or '96, I think the place changed hands- and switched to the Cool Pro masks and Tippmann pumps.

What's the chances anyone has some other photos of the place? Or even pics of some actual play?

Doc.
(Confusing the hell out of nonplayers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday since 2002.)
Old 12-27-2015, 06:37 PM #4
Erok
<-- BS 180 tail

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Erok has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Erok has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Erok has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Erok has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
I never played there but I heard a story from a coworker not too long ago. I guess instead of bunkering people, at that indoor you were supposed to come around bunkers and yell "GOTCHA", right?
Erok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 PM #5
907gunslingers

907gunslingers has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
907gunslingers supports Ninja Paintball
Doc that's awesome just seeing the plywood walls brings back some memories. I don't remember the gotcha rule about bunkering but I like it. Getting bunkered sucks.
Armagillo black/white jt proflex red/gray
Listen, you don稚 know me, son, so I知 gonna say this once: if I ever kill you, you値l be awake, you値l be facing me, and you値l be armed. ~Mal

victoriam favet paratam
907gunslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM #6
spece108
Tiffany

I remember it well. Went with kids from school the first time. The masks had not been painted yet, they were all still black. They had a commercial on KYES. I recall a slide that was treacherous as hell. I scheduled my 8th grade birthday party there, I think in 90. We got there for a whole party and were turned away because they had no paint.

Saw my first autococker there at some point. Short barrel, vert tank.

Body shot paintball was when we first started to play a lot. Like every weekend. Devin ran that field, there was a guy called drew. I think I remember him as the fat guy with an automag that was always stoned.

The Dutch Boyz or just the George brothers came out a lot. I recall 3 x 9 scopes on top of cockers. My rental stingray dropping paint 20 feet short of a guy who was blowing the bark off the tree I was using for cover. DB had cockers so we all needed mags. Never was a huge mag fan, only owned 3 that I can think of.

There were outlaw games at Otter lake, on base.

We played in the back side of Kincade down Raspberry road for years. Then the infamous APL tourney in 96. Remember the pyro cocker and doc's stocks on a few guns. Took 5th.

Drove down to see doc at the Soldotna field. Bunch of fun cats. Saw my first stroker.

Then P3 opened up in the old fireweed Theater. He had raves in there too. I'd bring 4 scuba tanks each time. We'd been flying down for west coast tourneys by this point. Dutch Boyz wouldn't play us anymore. The Glacier shaker tourney went down, we just went through the field like butter. Didn't lose a game.

Then the wasilla gravel pit was the only place to play until the short lived tiny indoor on spenard. Then Jim Kingrea opened up shop. The Dutch Boyz opened the sand lot. Craig ran big Lake like a brothel.

Lot of years, lot of memories.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 PM #7
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

On the DB's velocity- yep, I recall watching those guys at that Bodyshot game. They had the coolest gear, so of course I was enamored. (With the gear, not them. )

They had their own 50-pound siphon tank, and would almost constantly top off their 20-ounce remote tanks, but never once using a scale. I'd bet money they went into damn near every game with overcharged/overfilled tanks.

Always wondered what happened to all those Belsales 'Cockers they had. Those things are worth some money today.

As for the "outlaw" games out on the base, as I recall, the first few games were just pick-up (can't recall call 'em "outlaw" since Dave had to do a pile of paperwork to get the okay from the base commander) but later, and for a couple of years, the games were run semi-officially as "Sector 7G".

Mostly for base personnel, of course, but they did allow guests/visitors. He had a "24 hour" game in... I think it was around the summer Solstice of '95, and hosted at least two games for the Arctic Warrior events. (I have a shirt from the '98 game.)

Then, starting in... 2000, I think? Dave moved to the old Fireweed 3 Theater, which was scheduled for demolition. He convinced the owner to let them use the place for a year or two 'til they got around to knocking it down.

That lasted 'til late 2001, when Dave got called back to active duty post-9/11, but by that time he was already having issues with a guy who'd started out using the theater for dances and "bubble raves" (and, apparently, making a mint at it) so as an indoor field it was on it's way out anyway.

Oh, and the APL Tourney was in '98, not '96. I was driving a Corvette back up from Texas, and barely made it into town at 11:00pm the night before. I didn't play, but I got to talk to Bud Orr for an hour or two.

Doc.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:38 AM #8
AK-Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by spece108 View Post
The Dutch Boyz or just the George brothers came out a lot. I recall 3 x 9 scopes on top of cockers. My rental stingray dropping paint 20 feet short of a guy who was blowing the bark off the tree I was using for cover. DB had cockers so we all needed mags. Never was a huge mag fan, only owned 3 that I can think of.

We played in the back side of Kincade down Raspberry road for years. Then the infamous APL tourney in 96. Remember the pyro cocker and doc's stocks on a few guns. Took 5th.

Then P3 opened up in the old fireweed Theater. He had raves in there too. I'd bring 4 scuba tanks each time. We'd been flying down for west coast tourneys by this point. Dutch Boyz wouldn't play us anymore. The Glacier shaker tourney went down, we just went through the field like butter. Didn't lose a game.

Then the wasilla gravel pit was the only place to play until the short lived tiny indoor on spenard. Then Jim Kingrea opened up shop. The Dutch Boyz opened the sand lot. Craig ran big Lake like a brothel.

Lot of years, lot of memories.
I started playing up here in late '98-early '01. Mostly at Kincaid with Mike and Flower (I had the "Pianoman" olive JT jersey--still have it), where I played on their home team (still can't remember the name...Swamp Rats comes to mind, but that doesn't sound right) playing against the Warpigs, another team that was a regular (can't remember who they were), and of course, the cheating, poor-sport Dutchies. When Great Alaska Paintball ("GAP"--the indoor field on the corner of Spenard and Benson) opened, I was in there twice a week. I remember playing the 2-man tournament there in February of 2000. My team (Richard, brother of Mike who ran Kincaid and I) took second against Craig and I want to say Bryce (former 907Paintball owner and Warpig team member, if I recall correctly) who were both shooting Angel LCDs. The biggest reason we lost is because Richard's '99 STO Cocker was acting up on him all day and it was pretty much 2 on 1 with me holding things down until he got shot out while tearing his gun apart(!!!) in the middle of the championship game. After that, it was pretty hard to keep up with them, but I held my own for a while until I got shot out to take second place. Fun day! My Bob Long Defiant (which I still have) kicked *** back then. It wasn't too long after that tourney that the landlord of the building GAP was in evicted him (because he was selling the building and the State of Alaska put a DMV in there not long afterward) and it was pretty much just Kincaid park at that point. Pretty sure it was the summer of '00 that the Muni shut down Mike and Flower (for BS reasons) and booted them from Kincaid, and then Jim Kingrea got his field up and running. Sector 7G was playing in the old Fireweed theater and Craig started up AK Village in Big Lake. In 2001, my interests switched from paintball to filmmaking and I started devoting all of my efforts to buying film/video equipment, and that's when I began shooting tourney vids of Craig's 2 AK Village Open tourneys in '01 and '02, before I left the state at the end of '02 to begin my career. Good times.

How was Craig running his field like a brothel? I'm curious as to what happened after I left the state? And was the super-cool owner of GAP really a member of the Hell's Angels? That was the rumor going around during his short-lived operation.

Those were great times...my favorite times in the sport, actually. The great, legendary brands (WGP, JT, AGD, WDP, Viewloader, etc.) were at their peak, the sport was evolving from mechs to electros, the internet hadn't killed retail paintball stores yet (so you could still buy decent gear in Anchorage), and there were lots of places to play, each with a greatly varying experience. What I wouldn't give to get that back here in the Anc/MatSu area once more!
AK-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:02 AM #9
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Jake View Post
How was Craig running his field like a brothel?
-I'm afraid that was very nearly a literal description, in a manner of speaking.

Arizona Daily Sun, August 6, 2005.

Doc.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:24 AM #10
DocsMachine
Yeah, I can make that.

I just found a stash of old flyers and clippings from Sector 7G, Element Paintball, Bodyshot and I think Gotcha, including things like field rules, price lists and map directions.

Lemme get 'em sorted and I'll post 'em up before too long.

Doc.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:22 PM #11
AK-Jake

Wow. Mind blown about Kraig!

Throw up those flyers and clippings when you have time, Doc. Would love to see them!
AK-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups