Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-01-2003, 03:29 PM #1
r/c
The Total Package

has been a member for 10 years
Angry Get Rid of Wipping 101

Theres a tread in paintball talk, I think, titled Wipping 101. They claim that its ok to wipe unless u get caught and are teaching ppl how to. This is really bad for the sport of paintball. People and new comers will think this is a corupt sport and think its ok to wipe. It is very fruststrating to play against a team who wipes. I never wipe and when I talk to newbies I stress everytime, NEVER wipe. I see wipping as the lowest of the lows as far as paintball goes. Paintball has to be keeped a clean sport. There are no clean sports now days. The pros all use illergal drugs to be ahead and i would hate to say stuff like that happen in paintball, whatever it is drugs, wipping, fights, cheating, etc.... Wipping is cheating. Period. I would be very proud of this site and happy to know that you guys would delete that thread and threads like it. Then I know there are at less some down to eath paintballers out there. Thanks. Brandon.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2003, 07:13 AM #2
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Sherwood Forest
i couldnt agree more. however this is a public site and each user is allowed to express their opinions and statments. whether or not we agree or even like their opinions we have to let them say it. the only positive thing i see comming from the thread is reffs will lean new ways the players are cheating and watch for them closer.

-Duff

Team ESP
Old 06-03-2003, 05:32 PM #3
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
Is it bad for the sport.... people say everything is bad for the sport. Is it cheating, of course. There's no way around it, it is cheating.

But despite these gripes, it's still a public forum. And as long as it's clean it stays.

And here's something that you missed. It's great for refs! There's a lot of info there, and pleanty of it for referees to read. So they can see these things going on and not be fooled.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 06-03-2003, 05:35 PM #4
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)

PUBLIC site....
its only public if PBN deems it so...its their shiz they can edit/modify and delete pretty much anything at will

DELETE THAT CRAP and BAN the wipers...show them that cheating is wrong, and not tolerated.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:40 PM #5
Meph

Ban people because they say they wipe?

Let me get this straight. You want people banned because of what they do outside of this site?

Should we ban you because of when you take a shower you're nude? Nudity isn't allowed here at PBNation.

Sure I know there's some of us here who'd love a good 3 minutes alone with a wiper in a sound-proof room and some tools (like a baseball bat with a big nail in it). But as long as it's clean there isn't any violation. That I'm aware of. Then again I'm still kind of new here.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 06-03-2003, 06:10 PM #6
r/c
The Total Package

Yah your all right but still, their trying to teach it. This isen't really public, PBN should delete it. Thats my two cent
Old 06-03-2003, 07:41 PM #7
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)

Id ban them

Its like knowingly letting criminals into a kids school
Old 06-04-2003, 12:38 PM #8
Meph

Talk about blowing it out of proportion harbinger.....

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 06-04-2003, 01:28 PM #9
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)

LOL
same principals

Its encouraging cheating/trouble and improper conduct.

If a ref cant spot cheating, and needs this info, he shouldnt be refin
Old 06-04-2003, 03:28 PM #10
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
we aren't encouraging it, but if we ban people who talk about wipers, we might as well ban people who say that autocockers are poorly designed.. you may disagree, but it's all a matter of opinion.

cheating isn't "right" but talk of it isn't against the rules.

I'm not about to stifle people from talking about things that aren't inappropriate.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:10 PM #11
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)

rgr
Old 06-04-2003, 08:07 PM #12
Meph

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger[TG]

Oh really. So there's a reffing school that specializes in teaching them how to spot people reaching for a squeegie which is actually goggle wiping?

Not even PTI or PRO teach everything.

There's no where besides word of mouth to learn these things. Unless you can show me an application for a school for referees that teach them how to spot every single cheating trick in the book! Oh please do tell.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 06-05-2003, 10:52 AM #13
Harbinger[TG] (Banned)

Dude most refs stand around and BS all day.

I just hate seeing an entire younger generation of ballers learning the wrong things.
Old 06-05-2003, 11:40 AM #14
r/c
The Total Package

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger[TG]
LOL
same principals

Its encouraging cheating/trouble and improper conduct.

yah really, come on chaeting will grow if we don't stop this. Yah its ok if ppl say autocockers are bad or whatever, but encouraging wipping. Some newbies are going to see this and start wipping at a early stage. Come on ppl, u have the power, stop this before it grows.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:52 PM #15
Meph

C'mon Harbinger. You ignored my question.

What school is there that will train referees to learn every single one of these tricks?

When you answer that, then maybe I can look into closing that thread. Until then, and as long as it's clean. It's staying.

And R/C where is the encouraging? I don't see them posting "Here is how you do it. Now all you people, go out there and do it. This instant!" There is no encouragement. It's just explanations.

And us closing that one thread is NOT going to solve paintball's wiping problem. So again. Quit blowing this way out of proportion.

You see one little spark and you hit it with a compresser nozzle to ignite a forest fire.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
Old 06-06-2003, 10:31 PM #16
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mephs absolutly right.

Theres no one saying that they have to use the tricks and wipe hits.

Read my first post, about how wiping is here to stay and all that. It doesnt encorage wiping amongst newer players or anything like that, if anything it educates the majority on what too look for. You guys cry every time someone brings up wiping, saying they should be executed and such, but the point is, if you have a problem with it, thats YOUR choice. If somoene else decides to wipe, tough. Yea, it sucks, but what are you going to do? Its not different then holding in football or slapping someones wrist in basketall. The reffs are there to keep people from doing it, but like in every sport they cant catch it every time, my thread will allow reffs to read it and learn the tricks and know when they see somone going for a squigiee, to take a closer look and maybe they'll catch the person and discourage wiping the way it should be, by catching the wiper. Not by editing a message board.

In the end, its all the same. Wiping is here to stay, and theres NOTHING you can do about it. And I mean nothing. I was preached too about wiping by older players too, did it stop me? No. So what makes you think that preaching to little kids about wiping will make them not do it? Who are you anyway? They'll forget about you the second they walk on the field. Get over it.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 06-15-2003, 12:25 AM #17
WGP_KeEpEr
Keeper of the Peace

I think we all know that wiping will never completely banish from paintball. But what we can do is slow it down. People who wipe, are gonna wipe, they don't care what we say, we got that joe. But kids who are just coming into the game, they might be swayed one way or the other, they need to know that wiping(cheating) is not permitted in paintball. I agree, that talking about wiping shouldn't be bannable, I think that the people who encourage it, or show shortcuts to it and what not should be banned. They are showing our younger paintball generation that wiping is OK, and is so widespread that if u wanna win, u gotta wipe too.
ex) It's like having someone tell them exactly how to get weed safely, smoke it, and not get in trouble for it. They might not tell them TOO do it, but they are showing them exactly HOW to do it.

The content on Pbnation shows an example of what the paintball really is like, and how it should be. And wiping neednt be one of the things it should be.
I truely feel Pbnation would be setting a better example, and helping the paintball community if they were to ban the posts on that wiping shortcut crap.
Old 06-16-2003, 02:35 PM #18
Fat Joe

Annual Supporting Member
Fat Joe is a founding member
Fat Joe has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fat Joe has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Or, you could come over to the real world......

You say we persuade younger kids to wipe by showing them how, your wrong. Its a known fact wiping is against the rules, people who wipe know what there getting themselves into. You need to stop worrying about what other people are doing and worry about yourself. And get off the whole "its ruining our sport" kick. Its no, it is our sport. Like I said in my thead, no one but you cares if someone wiped against you, so get over it.
Team Aircraft Carrier - Captain
Old 06-17-2003, 11:34 PM #19
pbfanatic889
Banned

i remember seeing a whipping thread in the newbie forum. putting a whipping thred up isnt a good thing but to put one up to teach newbs is not going to help the sport out to much
Old 06-18-2003, 12:32 AM #20
Ragss
Banned

10 bucks says that if i go to the comp section and post a very throughy tutorial on how to hack traffic lights (i have just such a tutorial BTW) it would be delted and i would get a strike. IMO teaching how to whipe is just as bad to post on the forums as teaching how to hack.

And the ppl who willl learn to whipe from that thread will FAR FAR FAR outnumber the refs who learn how to stop it. Furthermore there are alot of 10-13 years olds who are just getting into paintball on these forums and teaching them how to whipe off the bat aint the brightest thing to do.
Old 06-18-2003, 01:16 AM #21
crosswalkryan

I dont like wiping, but that isnt a very good analogy, i would just like to point out. If you teach random kids to hack traffic lights they can very easily kill many people maybe without even realizing it. But wiping a hit isnt exactly on the same level as that.