PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-02-2007, 03:04 AM #1
zaggi
....ninja in disguise....

has been a member for 10 years
Older PGP.

Hey, I stumbled across a pretty vintage pgp. I know it has the older valve type in it just from the reasearch I've done, and I know it's one of the much older pgps. Here's my problem, I insert a 12 gram, cock the gun, fire and all the co2 just explodes out the barrel, it drains the whole thing. The little pin in the bolt also refuses to stay in the bolt, after a few times cocking it, it'll fall down infront of the striker and then I have to take it apart to get the pin out. I haven't pulled the valve out yet to inspect it, because I don't have a valve removal tool and I'm not quite sure how to get it out without said tool. A more simple problem is I'm missing the ball bearing and spring from the pump handle, can this be remedied with a clicky pen spring and a small bearing or something perhaps? Also, are there any gunsmiths still around like Punishers Customs that take older markers in and restore them? If so could I get a link to their site perhaps? Thanks for any replies.

-Zaggi

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
John F Kennedy

The fool is he who walks amongst the sheep and gives away his rights for the illusion of security.

Last edited by zaggi : 12-02-2007 at 03:07 AM.
zaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2007, 11:45 AM #2
Pishi

I guess you could send it in to Palmer's for service.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:25 PM #3
Kenny_McCormic (Banned)

Probably needs an oring somewhere in the valve assembly. The oldest ones have knurled pump handles.
Kenny_McCormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM #4
zaggi

Yeah I was thinking of sending it to Palmers, how much do you think they would charge me? As far as I know the only problems are the ones I listed, the valve being the most important. Is there a way of getting the valve out without the valve tool? And I believe it is a knurled pump handle, metal with a kind of grippy/textured surface right? And a kind of off topic question, but can I use sand paper to shine up the outer brass? Cause currently it's very dull and dark. Thanks for the replies.

-Zaggi

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
John F Kennedy

The fool is he who walks amongst the sheep and gives away his rights for the illusion of security.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM #5
ribbonstone

You're going to need the valve tool. On the early ones, it's pretty much the same valve used in their co2 pellet pistols, and it isn't the easiest valve to service.

Chances are the valve stem seal is cut...happens when a bit of grit, grain of sand, metal shaving, or whatever type of general "funk" is blown through the valve...is moving pretty fast as it passes the semi-soft valve seat, and tends to cut.

Might be lucky and just have something clogging the valve...have had one foul on a human hair. Either way, to get to it will need the valve tool, a lead washer (yep...looks like an o-ring, but it's lead and is compressed tightly, so you'll usually ruin the one in the gun getting it out), and a new valve stem.

I'd send it in if the price for a rebuild is reasonable (same job on a pellet shooting Sheridan is about $40-$45).
ribbonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM #6
zaggi

Yeah I just sent Palmer's a message asking exactly what they could do. Their basic service thing is $40, not bad at all. But I wasn't sure if that included a full breakdown, replacement of any broken/missing parts, ect ect. If so then I think that will be my best option. I've really gotten interested in pump lately, though I don't have the money to sink on a Sniper or Phantom just yet, but I would really like to get this old girl running.

John F Kennedy

Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 PM #7
MrBig

Other than Palmers, BigMatt at Mad-Cutoms (www.mad-customs.com) is one of the few gunsmiths left that can be reliable about working on guns. He currently started making his own guns somewhat based on the Sheridan model. I picked this up from him end of the summer. It is his own design and custom made. Mad Rifle #003:

He does amazing work.

If you plan on keeping a PGP around, I would just get the valve tool and parts and learn to work on it yourself.
MrBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM #8
ribbonstone

Do your best to keep it clean when you recharge 12gr. cartridges. Know we all get in a rush and fumble cartridges and/or end caps into the dirt sometimes; dirt is the main killer of valves on these.

Keep her clean, a drop of lube now and again, and she should be working for years.
ribbonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:23 PM #9
zaggi

He looks quite talented, that rifle looks amazing. Depending on what I hear back from Palmers I think I'll most likely send it in to them, and also purchase a valve tool so any future repairs I can try and handle myself. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

John F Kennedy

Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 PM #10
GFX260
Jesse Day

GFX260 supports Team VICIOUS
GFX260 is for the Gunfight
I had the same problem, but I fixed mine myself with a fill station's polyurethane o-ring and some silicone.

What happened is the last CO2 that worked stuck to the seal and pulled it out. It's best to oil or grease the tip of each 12 gram so that it doesn't stick to the seal and pull it out when it comes out.

to fix it, clean it good and put silicone on the o-ring (which must be the right size) then put the o-ring on a used 12 gram. without dropping the o-ring, insert the 12 gram into the gun and tighten. let it dry over night. When the silicone dries, it will stay

it's a pain in the ***, but it is the cheepest solution.
GFX260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM #11
cavmandan

Does any one know where i can buy the valve tool for one of the older PGPs the brass ones
cavmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM #12
sniper72

Palmers Pursuit has everything you need. You can get the valve tool and the 12 gram seal kit for a Pre2K PGP. It will have a new Dyna valve and all the seals to rebuild it. Each are around $20. The marker is really simple. Just take your time when removing everything and pay special attention to what order and how it came out for reassembly. Mcarterbrown.com is a great source should you get stuck. Replace all the seals and you'll be good to go.
sniper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM #13
justanotherPBplayer
why so much .50 hate?

how would one contact palmers?
justanotherPBplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:22 PM #14
MrBig

www.palmers-pursuit.com

OR

Ph. (916) 923-9676