PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM #1
Matt - St Thomas(MN)
Shaka Brah

Twin Cities Paintball Fields Overview

The reason I am writing this review is to let new or unknowing players about they're options for paintball if they in the twin cities area (these fields are limited to less than 1.5 of driving to from St Paul/ Minneapolis). When I first started getting into paintball, I thought my only options were Splat Tag and MN Pro due to this article: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/top-li...s-twin-cities/ . So I hope to basically update this article, but I don't really know how to get this to the general public aka for people to find this article via google (if you could help with this that would be great!). Also, this article is definitely open to revision.

Splat Tag (Hudson, WI):
Walk on fee: $15
Rental: $10
500 paintballs: $20
2000 paintballs: $65
2000 upgraded paintballs: $75
Splat Tag is the course for you if it's one of your first times playing paintball or you like playing in the woods (woodsball). Out of the fields on this list, Splat Tag attracts the most inexperienced players who are just looking to try paintball out for their first time (a few experienced players show up here and there). Splat Tag is also the most wooded out of all of these, though their most popular maps (Urban, Junkyard, and Castle) have virtually no trees/branches/shrubbery. A lot of people get frustrated with woodsball because you may see a player you can shoot only 20 feet away, but if you try shooting them through branches and twigs, your paintball will most likely not reach that opposing player because it will break on the trees and branches. Also, Splat Tag is the cheapest field on this list; Splat Tag is the only field that already includes tax in their prices. Though, Splat Tag sells the lowest quality paintballs out of these fields (they do have an upgrade option for their paintballs). They also have the best "big games" that attract around 200 people.

MN Pro Paintball (Lakeville, MN):
Walk on fee: $25
Rental: ~$20 (it's tricky)
500 paintballs: $25
2000 paintballs: $100 ($78? If you go buy the paintballs at their Burnsville store)
MN Pro paintball has pretty premium prices compared to the Wisconsin fields, but their season pass is pretty bang for your buck. Renting your gun and mask here is not very simple- they have a lot of options that are paired with paintballs which makes it sort of like a package deal. MN Pro is definitely the high schooler scene, both renters and the skilled players. MN Pro also has the widest selection of maps to play on, I feel like every time I have been there, I play on a new map that I have never played on before. MN Pro does have an airball field, but that is almost solely for the team that is sponsored by MN Pro.

Vintage (Riverfalls, WI):
Walk on fee: $15
Rental: $10
500 paintballs: $20
2000 paintballs: $65
Vintage does pretty well at pleasing a wide range of skill level, but they definitely attract the upper range level of skill. They have advanced open play on the airball field on Sunday mornings and have several tournaments throughout the season, but open play for renters can still be a good time. You can expect to get the most bang for your buck at vintage: good quality paintballs, quality fields that are still being added and expanded upon, And just all around nicer compared to the other fields.

Air Assault (St. Paul, MN)
Admission: $25
Rental: ~$15 (rental packages)
500 paintballs: $34
2000 paintballs: $140
First off, this place is indoor and the facility just opened in 2015. This place only has one field and it is an airball field. They have separate open play hours for rentals and gun owners (gun owners and rentals can't play together). BOGO option for cases on Tuesday nights.

Splat Ball (Minneapolis, MN)
Not much to say about this place since it is very similar to air assault. Splat Ball does have gun owner hours, but does not have advanced open play. It is an even smaller one field map than air assault. It is filled with air bunkers, but definitely not the typical airball/ speedball map.

Action Packed Paintball Games (Jordan, MN):
Action Packed Paintball has a variety of maps: some wooded, some urban structured maps, and an airball field. At this field, they also separate the rental players from the gun owners, so you have to show up at different times to play whichever category you are in.

Last edited by Matt - St Thomas(MN) : 04-20-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Matt - St Thomas(MN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2016, 09:26 AM #2
AAF

Annual Supporting Member
AAF is an Premier field/store owner
Give Paintball Minnesota a call at 612-378-0385 and they can help you out with all of the updated pricing for Action Packed, Splatball and Air Assault.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:33 PM #3
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is playing at Living Legends III
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt is attending Decay of Nations VII
Just a couple points to the OP:
1. Air Assault has been around since 2007, it recently moved from Maple Plain to a new location. It runs the only real competitive tournaments in Minnesota (eg not Wisconsin) and also hosts the only semi-pro team in the area.

2. Air Assault, Action Packed and Splatball were at one time all independent but are now all owned by the owner of Action Packed Paintball Games (APPG).

3. Splat Tag is most known for it's Big Games, woodsball and recball. It runs the largest regularly hosted Big Games in the region. Player experience isn't directly related to game type. There are senior players from the 90s (pre-speedball) that regularly play there. Splat Tag is the oldest field in the area.

4. MN Pro is basically the same end cost as Air Assault, except they have an outdoor woodsball field and two outdoor airball fields. It's probably most known for it's pyramid-like speedball team program that used to be organized under the Nhanced brand. It's the only field on the south side of the Cities.

Since the article was from 2010, Northside Sports and Adventure Zone have closed.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:30 AM #4
Minnesota111

has been a member for 10 years
APPG is also in the south metro.
Minnesota111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:05 PM #5
TOS Bravo
Situation Normal...

TOS Bravo owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
TOS Bravo supports Ninja Paintball
MnPro raised their walk-on admission to $25? That's a bit much...

Last edited by TOS Bravo : 04-05-2016 at 12:48 AM.
TOS Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:09 PM #6
MNProPaintball
Minnesota Pro Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
MNProPaintball is an Ultimate field/store owner
MNProPaintball supports Ninja Paintball
Paintballs at Mn Pro are $25/500 & $80/2000 for the 2016 season. However, season pass holders will enjoy $65 cases if purchased at our Lakeville park or $53 cases if purchased at our Burnsville store.

Give the shop a call if you have any more questions regarding our current pricing. 952-303-5807
MNProPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM #7
Griffin16

Superior Paintball is pretty good to. They were a really good place to for Duluth and Superior Area with very cheap prices.
Griffin16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:39 AM #8
TOS Bravo
Situation Normal...

TOS Bravo owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
TOS Bravo supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNProPaintball View Post
Paintballs at Mn Pro are $25/500 & $80/2000 for the 2016 season. However, season pass holders will enjoy $65 cases if purchased at our Lakeville park or $53 cases if purchased at our Burnsville store.

Give the shop a call if you have any more questions regarding our current pricing. 952-303-5807
I'd love to hear your rationale behind $25+$80=$105+tax minimum if you own all your own equipment, for one afternoon.
TOS Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:14 AM #9
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin16 View Post
Superior Paintball is pretty good to. They were a really good place to for Duluth and Superior Area with very cheap prices.
That's great and all but the OP is talking about Twin Cities paintball fields. It got a little bit out there when we started including River Falls and Jordan in the MSA. Superior, WI is a 2.5 hour drive.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:51 AM #10
Henning

Henning is playing at Living Legends VIII
Henning owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Honestly, I'm just looking for a place where I can play Speedball on a weekly basis. AA had a great setup for Advanced Play on Sunday mornings but sadly they moved AP to to Tuesday nights (The Reasoning why is still a bit cloudy to me)

If a field wants to set up a Advanced Play event with a bit of a warmup (Stretches, drills, Etc) and a day of matches, I would be playing again in a heart beat.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:40 AM #11
donpb123

donpb123 supports Ninja Paintball
What do people find of Annandale Paintball in South Haven, MN? I know it is a bit of a drive. about 1hr. Is it worth the drive. I am looking at maybe doing there battle of the beef round robin tournament. Has anyone did that before?
donpb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM #12
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpb123 View Post
What do people find of Annandale Paintball in South Haven, MN? I know it is a bit of a drive. about 1hr. Is it worth the drive. I am looking at maybe doing there battle of the beef round robin tournament. Has anyone did that before?
Yeah, they have a full size speedball field and a full size urban type field that they sometimes change around. BOTB has been an annual event for 7 years or so and usually has a decent turnout. JT Grundy is the owner he's a good guy. Pricing was similar to Vintage the last time I was there.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 PM #13
TakedownCHAMP97

TakedownCHAMP97 owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpb123 View Post
They have a good set up out there, it's a nice relaxed atmosphere and it's a good place to practice your game. The prices are fairly good too.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:46 PM #14
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

has been a member for 10 years
Brad- Division owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I hear that Baldwin is having airball days again, I know I will be going out there for some airball and woodsball fix
Brad- Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM #15
JT-ANNANDALEPAINTBAL

If you haven't been out to Annandale Paintball in a while, I encourage everyone to give us another visit. If you haven't been out in the past 3 years or more I will get you some discounts for coming out and joining us for another game of paintball. Just ask for me (JT)
All day Entry
$9.99
All day Air
$4.99
2000 rounds
$59.99.

We have an urban field that is evolving each weekend. This field is mostly hyper ball based with concrete tubes. We have our City field as well with buildings cars and a bridge for players. This field is getting a face lift with several new buildings coming. Then we have a our airball field with a 2016 bunkers. Roofed pits and air in the pits re being installed this spring. We also have a pro shop on site with a selection of popular items in Stock.

@donpb hopefully you join us for Battle of the Beef this year. If you have more questions just keep emailing me and we can get any questions you have answered. We have two battle of the beefs again this season. Depending on where you live we are not much more of a drive then other fields. Not to mention a little longer drive to save atleast $15 a case adds up fast

JT Grundy Annandale Paintball

Last edited by JT-ANNANDALEPAINTBAL : 04-08-2016 at 01:55 PM.
JT-ANNANDALEPAINTBAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 PM #16
Matt - St Thomas(MN)
Shaka Brah

Just updated the list, I will be adding Annandale in the near future.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:07 PM #17
cutstep
Minnesota

cutstep is playing at Living Legends III
cutstep owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep is for the Gunfight
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
cutstep supports Sherwood Forest
splat tag sells graffiti which I don't think is low end paint and they also have end of the month games that get about 200 people. if you want to play large games in the woods its the place to be.
cutstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 AM #18
Matt - St Thomas(MN)
Shaka Brah

^Thanks, forgot to add that on there
ReplyRegional Ups