PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 01-26-2016, 10:52 AM #1
jenkinsandrew84

??Iowa paintball??

So coming back to Iowa after being gone for a couple years I have noticed there has been a sever decline in activity on the forums and on the field. Even in the large tournament scene you don't see alot of teams from iowa. I'm not really sure why this is being just 8 hours away from some of the biggest tournaments and fields in the world. I was just wondering what was everyone's opinion on why this is... So anyways I hope to see more teams from iowa form and see them more on the field. Thanks nation
jenkinsandrew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2016, 08:52 PM #2
paintedturtle29

Idk. Im new to the sport myself, but from what I've seen at ICU there's more people than ever.
paintedturtle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 PM #3
jenkinsandrew84

Ya I have been playing at ICU every two weeks since winter set I'm and there have been days where there is 40 people and days where there are 20. I love ICU and I thank Pat and ToD for the hook ups But I play all over the mid west and mid south and even california and there is very little team presence from teams from iowa. I was just wondering why that is. I am not saying people are not playing paintball.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:36 PM #4
Guapofox
DSM Detox

Guapofox plays in the PSP
Guapofox owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Guapofox supports Team VICIOUS
Guapofox plays in the APPA D3 division
Guapofox supports Empire
To my knowledge, there are only 2 competitive teams still playing in Iowa...Detox and KW. Both teams have represented Iowa very well the past 2-3 years with multiple 1st place finishes each year.
As far as turnout at ICU, it is difficult to practice at ICU for a tournament team.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:42 PM #5
jenkinsandrew84

I am fully aware of detox and the kw team and their records last season. Thanks for the heads up though .. still only having two major teams in the state that compete in national tournaments.. it used to be more
Old 01-31-2016, 11:24 PM #6
eatmeat

eatmeat is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
eatmeat plays in the PSP
eatmeat owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
This is a very deep question you are asking and can't hardly be explained in messages on this forum but I have been a part of the rise and recent fall of tournament paintball for around 17 years now. The most obvious answer is money! It is very expensive for players to play every weekend to get to a level were they can consistently compete in tournaments and be successful. Since there are basically no contracts in paintball especially at the d5-d3 level If your team is not successful then players jump ship very quickly to a team with better deals. And typically when good players join other teams the remaining team crumbles. Successful teams typically have a high turn over (players quit, go to college,start family's). So these teams are always looking for new talent (gobbling up the best local prospects).

Back in the day there were many fields all with at least one home team sometimes more. Tournaments were plenty full and everyone had a lot of fun trying to become the best local team. And there was prize payouts that actually made the tournament worth playing in. Back then owners of fields saw value in having a team (probably played on the team themselves or kids my have). Most of those fields have now closed. Now the fields that have survived have only done so by the money they make off of the rental game. And do not see the value in tournament paintball.

Des Moines has made it nearly impossible to open new fields, especially in city limits and with our population growing so well every year in and around Des Moines developers have made land prices skyrocket making it a very large investment to open a new field that is capable of providing new opportunities for tournament players. Also most people around these parts wouldn't even have the power, knowledge and ability to provide this and the ones that could don't have the money to make it happen.

In closing paintball is expensive and how the PSP was handling there business for the last 6 years (charging crazy money for teams to win entry fees). It didn't give people much of an end game, they became the best local team, then a Midwest power house, only to spend all their money at national events and get nothing in return (now the teams have no money and are reranked so high they can no longer play lower events). It burned out 100's of people I used to know now we have the NXL maybe if they handle their business currently it will give people something to believe in again and the players might start coming back!! We will see

If you would like much more detailed answers to any questions you may have I'm always willing to talk about how tournament paintball ruined my life

Hope this helps
Love
Brad

R.I.P. Jason "Towlie" Calef 11/18/2008 You will never be forgotten
NEW JACK CITY
MIDWEST ARMY OG
New Jack City's FaceBook Become a fan you wont regret it!
eatmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups