No 13 8.97%
Maybe 11 7.59%
Depends on price 62 42.76%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-11-2007, 11:44 PM #43
The_Quiet_One
Bad Human.

has been a member for 10 years
I like the tournament idea. Are you going to have a random mixer for what teams play each other?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 AM #44
jackh70

I like your idea and throwing it out into a think tank is definitely the right approach to getting it started.

You mentioned earlier about searching a database on a server for local player information. Are you thinking of having this software as web-based? Personaly, I would prefer it to be a local database on a laptop that I could take to the field and back home. It seems like making it web-based with that huge of a database would clog things up and slow it down. Just a thought.

Also, I would definitely prefer the yearly prepayment. More so, I would prefer a one time purchase price. Especially if it was standalone software.
jackh70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 AM #45
pbdude911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackh70 View Post
I like your idea and throwing it out into a think tank is definitely the right approach to getting it started.

You mentioned earlier about searching a database on a server for local player information. Are you thinking of having this software as web-based? Personaly, I would prefer it to be a local database on a laptop that I could take to the field and back home. It seems like making it web-based with that huge of a database would clog things up and slow it down. Just a thought.

Also, I would definitely prefer the yearly prepayment. More so, I would prefer a one time purchase price. Especially if it was standalone software.
The software will be local on your computer, however IF the player sharing is going to work, only that will be web based. i know almost all fields hare have no internet access at their field.

I will consider a 1 time purchase price and a yearly payment is a sure option.

Last edited by pbdude911 : 11-12-2007 at 09:00 AM.
pbdude911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM #46
pbdude911

Ive cleaned up the first post. I know there is a couple things missing im still working on it
Old 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM #47
WhiteRiverPaintball
Indiana's Largest Field

WhiteRiverPaintball is playing at Living Legends V
WhiteRiverPaintball posts videos on PbNation
Valuable Aspects

Currently, I'm considering purchasing a program like QuickBooks POS for a new system. The price on that is $800 for a single basic license and $1500 for a multiple license, plus they update it every so often and most people upgrade.

The main points that are valuable to me in a program like that is:

1. Inventory tracking
2. Expense tracking
3. Expedited check-out (fast transactions)

Additional items that would benefit a paintball field would be:

1. Rental equipment tracking
2. Player tracking

Such items such as tournament builders, field designers, etc. would be additional/superfluous and would not help me as much as the 5 items above.
White River Paintball Field is over 100 acres of urban, woodsball and scenario paintball, located in the Indianapolis, Indiana metro area. WRP also features an on-site pro-shop, 10 acre camping area, epic scenario events and over a dozen playing fields including multiple aircraft, two-story towers, multi-acre city, forts, military vehicles, jungle huts, deep woods and more!

Upcoming Scenario Event Schedule:
* Age of Conquest – July 11th, 12th & 13th, 2014 *
* Mob Wars - November 7th, 8th & 9th, 2014 *
Join us on Facebook
WhiteRiverPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:25 PM #48
pbdude911

Im going to download the Quickbooks POS trial and see what i can do to add those features to this software.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 PM #49
Carnagge

Any current accounting software program would be able to do this. Get with your financial planner.

Why would you pay to have paintball field software version 1.0 on it? Most accounting programs are flexible to all of the things mentioned.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 AM #50
pbdude911

which software program can do all of the things mentioned?

Last edited by pbdude911 : 11-13-2007 at 10:08 AM.
pbdude911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:03 AM #51
YohY

There is a pretty good system out there for skate parks and paintball fields. Easy to use and fairly inexpensive. - -

http://www.actionsportssystems.com/software.html
YohY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:18 PM #52
pbdude911

just spend about an hour with them, theres alot of things missing from that that i was planning on doing.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:39 PM #53
pbdude911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnagge View Post
Any current accounting software program would be able to do this. Get with your financial planner.

Why would you pay to have paintball field software version 1.0 on it? Most accounting programs are flexible to all of the things mentioned.
I am not designing accounting software with field software on top of it, im designing field software that also has accounting/inventory tracking and customer management integrated with it.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM #54
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
You might want to consider building the software so that the information can be exported to Quicken and Quickbooks. That'll make it a lot easier to hand off to the accountant at the end of the year.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM #55
pbdude911

yea i had already planned on making it compatible with that and any information will be able to be downloaded in a excel format.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM #56
YohY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdude911 View Post
just spend about an hour with them, theres alot of things missing from that that i was planning on doing.
I have spent time with them and come from 20+ years in the software industry. People typically have no clue how difficult it is to write stable custom software and maintain it.

I do not want to rain on anyones parade as all software starts as a creative project in ones head but to be successful in building a productive, stable, cost effective solution you need to start with one simple core solution that all fields could benefit. That alone is much more of an undertaking then one might believe. It may only take 100 hours to develop but then double it to document it then double again to QA it. From that if the software is designed correctly additional modules can be designed and implemented by fields that may want the additional features.

I consider myself more of a business owner then a paintball field owner and with that invest in solutions to gain information that allows me to target my reveneue sources, players. Things like tournament software, etc. will bog you down to the point of never releasing a core package.

Stick to the basics, lock down the code and and you could be successful -

good luck
YohY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:18 PM #57
pbdude911

I know im in the software business. its what i did as my main living before i decided to go to college.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:46 PM #58
Ranjer
www.Assassinwear.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post
You might want to consider building the software so that the information can be exported to Quicken and Quickbooks. That'll make it a lot easier to hand off to the accountant at the end of the year.
This would be a +

if you ever get this up and running shoot me a PM, i'm a field owner and would like to test this out at my spot when it's done.
WAR~GXG~ZJ~Just Enough Fela
Ranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 PM #59
Underachievers-buck
Rampage Paintball

maybe you could add the field set up thing on it as well. www.fieldbuilder.com or something liek that. that would be sweet. that way you could print off the field set up for your events and what not
Underachievers-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 AM #60
pbdude911

When i go to that site, it seems to be a firm that actually builds fields? am i missing something?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:04 AM #61
Underachievers-buck
Rampage Paintball

im not forsure of the site, but it is a website where you can build you field and see the different views and what not on it
Underachievers-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM #62
pbdude911

ill try to find it.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 AM #63
The_Quiet_One
Bad Human.

has been a member for 10 years
I've never heard of it... But if you really wanted to do that you can download programs for free like the Google sketch Pad or whatever it is. And if you have an employee with CAD skills (like what happened for our field) you can download the lite version of Alibre Design or something and have them draw it up with measurements. But that's a lot to add to a system unless it's extremely simple, but that's like trying to find an easy way around long division.