PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM #106
painterx
1 COOL Mo Fo

has been a member for 10 years
Hey if we ran it from the kid's point of veiw there would be no paintball fields.the kid's are great for some Ideas but in the real world the candycanes and lollypops have to be set aside.
ALL HALE THE MILITA IS COMING
painterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2007, 03:46 PM #107
PB-World
PPSC

. <--- I made a reply above which I ended up deleting. I watched this thread go so far and refrained myself from posting.

But Pbgames gets the best in all of us out. Ill keep this short and to the point. Of course "kids" like u said Deceptionfront are going to post in here. There have been multiple "should I build a field" threads in here before. And the thing is, theres always going to be players who get excited because they want a field thats practically in their backyard so they dont have to have to drive.

Western Pa is saturated with fields. There is a field from any point on the map thats within a 1 hour driving radius. Out of those fields you have some of the finest facilities in the country. Some states players have to drive hours to get to a field let alone a facility as nice as AAPP.

The thing is, well, I really dont know your business background or your experience in the paintball scene. But if you did have some logic behind your operation you would do some homework before making a lot of comments. Your not going to be able to make a living let alone a decent profit. You really need to know "paintball" if your going to be successful. If its for the pure enjoyment of the sport then go ahead. Theres a huge factor that everyone forgets about since everyone is caught up into the tournament paintball scene. That huge factor is something TRP has learned and promote, that one reason is why they are so successful.

So you will need to think before opening a field, what is it that you really want out of your field?

Last edited by PB-World : 11-15-2007 at 04:01 PM.
PB-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM #108
brophy8998

brophy8998 is an Ultimate field/store owner
brophy8998 plays in the PSP
brophy8998 donated to help Peyton Trent
brophy8998 is playing at Living Legends III
pbgames and pb-world are two knowledgeable people who have been around Pittsburgh paintball for quite some time. I would highly take what they are telling you into consideration.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION

Last edited by brophy8998 : 11-15-2007 at 03:54 PM.
brophy8998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:57 PM #109
vicioussrevenge
Shut up and hoot!

Look at all the local fields that have went under...combat zone, splatterzone, Paintball sportz arena, action paintball are just to name a few that I can remember. Stores aren’t sure things either... pbfanatics, umm that one in the Pittsburgh mills mall, bunkerz paintball, Wildwood paintball kind of did. But the point is your going to need a huge starting capital to have any chance of competing with these guys and a large working knowledge of how the paintball industry really works and what true cash cows are. It just sounds like you running of the hopes and dreams of a bunch of kids and I don’t think that will pay the bills or give you a place or give you money to live off of.
Member #1
Chi Phi Gamma Theata
vicioussrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:02 PM #110
spmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremonti_usa View Post
The reason why prices are too high and labor is too short all over the country is that too many people are trying to turn a buck into ten over night. Everyone is running short staffed and prices are marked up to increase the profit margin. My opinion that when this is done eventually it all has to reset itself.. It's like a battery it'll only last for so long and then it's dead.

You can't expect it to work that way. You have your overhead and you have your profit. I'm not out to make 50 grand a year out of this paintball field. If I make 5-10 I'd be happy. I don't really care. I don't care about money. I care about enjoyment. There wouldn't be so many crack head steroiders in pro sports if they weren't trying to squeeze ahead for extra camera time and a few more million on their contracts. It's all BS.

Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion.
You go man. Power to the player. Time to get back to what paintball is all about.

Don't let these negative haters on this thread stop you from realizing your dream. I think that some of the other field might be afraid that you can supply a quality location and take theri playrs away.

Keep the vision. You'll have more support than they all think you will have.
Freak
spmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:37 PM #111
Deceptionfront26
Looking for a team..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmaniac View Post
You go man. Power to the player. Time to get back to what paintball is all about.

Don't let these negative haters on this thread stop you from realizing your dream. I think that some of the other field might be afraid that you can supply a quality location and take theri playrs away.

Keep the vision. You'll have more support than they all think you will have.

*NKnation* Support!

I play for you?
Deceptionfront26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 PM #112
Jom
A Real Flag Hang

Jom is a Supporting Member
Jom is a founding member
Sounds like I'm in the minority... but I'd welcome another field in the area. Paintball in western Penn has grown pretty substantially in the last 5 years. What most local ballers don't realize is how far we lag behind other paintball hotspots. I've been to parts of Jersey where I swear there are 10 fields inside of a 10 square mile area.

Competition is good. It weeds out the weak and makes the strong stay innovative and on top of their competition. The end result is always a better experience for the customer.
Jom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM #113
tremonti_usa

I'd correct a lot of the little stuff that was intentionally taken out of context, but it's not worth my time. Especially when ignorant comments like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painterx View Post
HE'S not responding. maybe he's buzzy working for a sandwich
..are made. It's not even relevant. If people like me weren't doing what I do..people like him wouldn't have a place to live. It's the irony of what I do. I'd guess he's probably going to vote for clinton too. *gags* ..and I do love it when people make stupid jokes and aren't intelligent enough to spell correctly. I understand some typos, but come on.

Again, none of that is relevant EITHER and it's pointless. I posed a question and got some responses. That's what I was after.

Anyway, I thank those of you who have entertained the notion. I've gotten in contact with some people who thought it was a good idea. Either I'll have the time and money to make it happen or I won't. It's really that simple.

If anyone has anything reasonable to say or to ask..feel free to shoot me a PM, but please don't send me anything ignorant.

Again, I sincerely thank those of you who WERE reasonable and gave me beneficial input.

Have a good one guys.

seoul grips
www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1857719

Cheap Paintballs from orderpaintball

Last edited by tremonti_usa : 11-18-2007 at 06:27 PM.
tremonti_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:29 PM #114
tremonti_usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brophy8998 View Post
pbgames and pb-world are two knowledgeable people who have been around Pittsburgh paintball for quite some time. I would highly take what they are telling you into consideration.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Absolutely, my friend. Absolutely.

seoul grips

Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 PM #115
tremonti_usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgames View Post
I really do not care if you build your field or not. I would offer some advice though. I would say that you should take 1 day per weekend and visit every field within 3 hours of Pittsburgh. Do a head count. Crunch the numbers and I bet you will not be able to justify the investment let alone the time.

One thing you may not realize is that most players are younger adults who have NO LOYALTY to the people that have helped them in this sport. They will leave the field that currently sponsors them as long as you promise them the world. The minute you want something from them, they will run from your field like you have the plague. I won't post names but all you need to do is read the local threads to see which teams and players jump around. (I'm not reffering to players that move for legitimate reasons)

Another thing to look at is your pro shop. between punishers, compulsive and Smart Parts, you are going up against some heavy hitters with a tremendous amount of knowledge and success.

Throw in All American and Pittsburgh Airport Paintball Park and you are challenging two of the better financed operations in the country let alone the local area.

As far as the tournament scene...you can have the nicest field for 100 miles. Truth is, players don't need a nice field. What they need is instruction. Unless you can teach a player how to be better, they probably won't get any better.

Last but not least, paintball is in a decline at the time. Sponsorships and manufactures deals are getting tighter by the day.

Treat this as any business. Leave the emotions out of your decision and good luck.
I just thought I'd take the time to quote your post. It's a good one. Thanks.

You're absolutely right. Really, this whole thing was about seeing what people thought was necessary for a field to be competitive. It isn't as bad as trying to start ANY business in competition with the heavy hitter retail chains as competition. BUT, it is working toward it. That's what the dollar is all about and that's what it does.

There are some angles I could use on each of those issues, but that doesn't mean it would be successful. I understand that.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you again.

seoul grips

Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 AM #116
urban shooter
A1- paintball player

About time North Hills gets on the map.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM #117
pittsburgha123

well south hills would have a lot bigger market, i mean their isnt a paintball field anywhere here, the closest one is like 45 minutes away, i know plenty of paintballers that would come almost daily if you were here...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3645648
pittsburgha123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:23 PM #118
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
orionz06 donated to help Peyton Trent
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
not to revive a dead thread, but a field more north will tap into a decent market that has AAPP or daves, both of which arent quick drives...

if done well, and ADVERTISED PROPERLY, i think something in the north hills can work...but its up to the "kids"....

the other thing is get a known team to help you out and build customer base for you....it takes one team, and a few posts and you could be on the way...

regardless, i hope to see something soon when i move back from the hell-hole known as erie....
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:43 AM #119
Exilict

Exilict is a Supporting Member
Exilict is a founding member
Exilict donated to help Peyton Trent
Exilict plays in the APPA D5 division
My 2c. If you want to open a business.. Open a sonic in the Cranberry / Wexford area =)
Exilict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 PM #120
orionz06
Turtle Wrangler

Annual Supporting Member
orionz06 is a Supporting Member
orionz06 donated to help Peyton Trent
orionz06 is an NCPA player
orionz06 is Immortal
orionz06 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exilict View Post
My 2c. If you want to open a business.. Open a sonic in the Cranberry / Wexford area =)
nah...

white castle....
Penn State Paintball, Alumni #38
☆☆☆ The Departed© #38 ☆☆☆
Erie Fusion (original) #38

"Should you covet what you cannot afford. Maketh more money."
orionz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:56 PM #121
brophy8998

brophy8998 is an Ultimate field/store owner
brophy8998 plays in the PSP
brophy8998 donated to help Peyton Trent
brophy8998 is playing at Living Legends III
There is a Sonic in Peters Township NOW....LEGIT

Last edited by brophy8998 : 01-05-2008 at 05:10 PM.
brophy8998 is offline   Reply With Quote