Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM #43
tremonti_usa

Yeah, I just went through most of the major NPPL events to get ideas on how their fields were made.

seoul grips
www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1857719

Cheap Paintballs from orderpaintball
tremonti_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 PM #44
Huffman///
Show me your genitals

So when you looked at the feild setup that cost 150k you were looking at even moneys site right? moneypaintball? I wouldn't go that route, I think you could do things much cheaper. Contact Nppl and PSP, they may sell you a feild. Sounds like your really getting a feel for what your customers want.
Huffman/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM #45
tremonti_usa

Oh, yeah. I know I could do it cheaper. Especially considering I COULD do probably 80% of it myself. That's from square one..leveling the ground, removing trees/shrubs, compacting the ground, building the buildings, setting the poles for the netting, etc. I've done just about everything in regard to that. I've never specifically set up netting for a paintball field, but I can't imagine it would be any more difficult than the other things I've done in the past. Just takes time and patience.

seoul grips

Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 PM #46
tremonti_usa

The overall goal is to make the players happy. That's what it's all about. After that's done then I tackle some big dogs for sponsorships and things like that..start talking tournament hosting and things of that nature, but I would never do that unless I had a field suitable enough to do that. I'd be embarrassed to put a NPPL logo on anything I didn't think was worthy of a professional logo.

seoul grips

Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM #47
tremonti_usa

The biggest thing is going to be trying to get a bank to give me a loan on this. How often do you think people go in a bank and be like.. I want to make a professional quality paintball field...

I'm evaluating leasing land versus purchasing. That'd have to be thrown into the equation too. I'm not going to have any real down to earth numbers until I figure out what I'm going to do.

I figured I'd better swing for about 5 acres of land. That'd give me room to expand to my eventual goal of 5+ fields. Definitely not going to be an immediate thing. By that point I'll probably be spending enough time there to just put a house off in the distance and be able to ride a quad to work every day.

seoul grips

Last edited by tremonti_usa : 11-06-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 PM #48
Sho-nuff
The Shogun of Harlem!

has been a member for 10 years
My preference and almost everyone else in this thread is airball and tournaments.

But looking at this from a business point of view, rec ballers make up the majority. Most rec ballers don't see the value in paying field fees and for field paint when they can go and play on a similar field in their back yard for much less of a cost.

I think focusing on a rec set up that is not what people can get in their back yard will cause them to want to come and play at your field. As well as selling the value of playing at a legitamit field. Things like safety, quality rentals that will hold there own with walkons with thier own gear, ample covered staging (some field lack this), lighting for night play may be.

GOOD REFS will also help build your business. Having kids on the field to stand around and not get out there and do what they are supposed to can kill your field for people after the first visit. They need to make sure that every palyer had a great day of play.

If you can, plan your space for the big games. Alot of places hold big games, but the flow of just having all the fields open is not the greatest for these games.

One untapped market is the corporate angle. I know a lot of the people I work with would love to have a company game. Even if it was not company sponsored. Just being able to shoot some pain in the *** in the face. Having a good package for this could go a long way. If you could create teambuilding events out of it, more companies may start to look at it for corporate evnets.
Well, who am I? Sho'nuff.
Who am I? Sho'nuff.
The Shogun of Harlem!
Sho-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM #49
tremonti_usa

That's a really good perspective. Thanks for your advice.

seoul grips

Old 11-07-2007, 10:26 PM #50
autococker06
zamboni eh

reading through this thread i got a couple ideas
- if you needed help i could work for very little ( field fees?)
- along camp horne i believe theres a lot of land for sale, like by where giant eagle and home depot are.
- there is relatively level areas around there, but thie kinda swampy
- if your going to do it, i would reccomend starting not too huge, 2 air feilds at first, but the indoor will give you an edge in the winter, when half of your competition closes, and daves feild isnt that great.
- BYOP days are cool, even if your prices are competitive
- season passes are a great thing
- GOOOD refs are a must
- maintianing your field is important, a nice field is always more fun than a beat one.
- the woods for your woodsball should not be too dense ( another reason camp horne would be great, i go back there some times, and ive always wanted to play it)
- your player base would be from all over, the notrh hills, NA, avenworth, pittsburgh isnt far off with 79 goin into NH
- sell good paint, its worth it to the players, but give the option of lower grade paint
- advertizeing is important, to draw new players it can be anything from posters to radio
- though im not a fan of breaking into skill levels, it might help if your planning on huge turnouts, but dont judge players by their guns, i play pump and nothing sucks worse than getting underestimated because of what you shoot
- GOOD QUALITY BUNKERS
- shovel the fields on the indoor, running on paint gets slick
- uh thats all for now, their in no real order, but if you need help or anything pm me
Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM #51
Iron Bird
Cracked PB

we really do need a indoor feild in the cranberry area. where im located 15min out side of cranberry its a 40minute minimum to any feild except trp and i refuse to play there. a closer feild to me would deffanitly get my money every weekend if it had reasonable paint prices.
Iron Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 PM #52
Deceptionfront26
Looking for a team..

autococker06 has a good idea about looking for the land off camp horne by the giant eagle. get some land of that exit, put up a nice sign on 79. everyone would see your field. all traffic through there coming too and from the city. plus its only 20 minutes from my house lol

*NKnation* Support!

I play for you?
Deceptionfront26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 PM #53
Paintball8190
Bupp

camp horne road would be a great spot, i live like 3 minutes from there and ive seen it really grow and become a great spot for stores etc.. being that it is right off of 279, 15 minutes from downtown
Paintball8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:22 PM #54
autococker06
zamboni eh

i told some guys at school that dont even play that someone was concitering building a field around here, and they said that if that happened they would deffiantely pick up some guns to play, they want to theres jsut no where closer than pbworld around here.
also
- i revoke my suggestion that players should be split into skill levels, there should jsut be suggestions of who plays who by the refs.
- a good proshop around here would be great, with a good tech, because the only one around here is aaron, and he is so far away by now that hes pretty much out of reach. and i dont like punishers service to the newer guys, charging to even look at the problem.
- proshop should have a good selection of mid range guns that would be competitive on your fields ( even though its the player not the gun)
- 4500 fills are a must
- decent rental guns would help you out, remember the faster they can shoot the more paint they will buy
- plenty of picnic tables under a shelter for the outside field, and planty on the inside feild as well
- if you plan on hosting tournys, room for a set of bleachers would be good
- again attentive refs will bring it all together, but they have to be paid for what they are doing fairly.
- grids are a small thing that can make a feild a lot better, bunkrs will be set up more evenly and that results in a better game
- big thing for me, change the feilds around relitively often, i hate playing the same thing week after week.

btw i also live like 3 minuits away from the spot on camp horne, and there are a bunch of people who would probably be interested in playing even very localy, so you would get a good turnout often just relying on locals, and when you add on the people this facility would attract it would make for some awsome play year round
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 PM #55
IronCityKidz
No Longer Plays

IronCityKidz helped look for balloons
IronCityKidz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
^ three rivers has a pro-shop and online store, and fix guns

-tippmann rental guns, and they have good refs (the older refs)

-and they have nice staff and are owned by good people

* i suggest if your gonna build a field somewhere, stop out to trp and talk to ryan or debra because they've been going since the 1980's at that location and are doing a great job with it.

my .2c cents

Douglas Reed Shugert - Licensed Real Estate Agent
Western, PA - Office - Beaver, PA - Deffenbaugh Realty
If interested PM ME and i'll send you my contact info.
IronCityKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM #56
Ironman in xs

If you ar looking here for good info on opening a buisness that will succeed I suggest to look some where else... The people you are talking to are mostly kids that have no idea how to operate a business in any fasion. Yeah they may tell you that they will come and then they don't... You should probably look into the price of land, taxes on the land, utilites, up keep, staffing, and every thing else you need to pay for before you take home check to pay for your life style.

Also you need to look at the customer base that you are looking at. I know you said that you were looking at collage based teams. I was in collage once and I know I had very little money to spend at the time. So in my case I was spending my left over money on beer, cheap beer at that. Not a really good idea. You need to have a solid customer base like aapp, and trp has. you get that handed to you. You have to work for it!!!

Now as far as the land along camp horn road. Do yu have any idea how much that land is going for???? Lets just say if you were only having a mark up of $30 on paint it would take 33400 case of paint to buy 3 acres.... thats before taxes and intrest on the land. Why do you think most fields are further out of town??

Now I don't know who you are or where you come from. So if you spend that kind of money then great. I wish you luck. If you don't you better reconsider what you want to do if your smart.
Ironman in xs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:50 PM #57
Deceptionfront26
Looking for a team..

he asked what people wanted in a field...not give me ideas on how to run it...and thats what people did...so ya he going to listen to us "kids" cuz he wants his customers to be happy to come to his field by how its run and set up

*NKnation* Support!

I play for you?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:01 PM #58
spmaniac

Why go to all that trouble. I hear that TRP is for sale. Just buy it and make it tournament friendly. To many halfassed fields in the burg' as it is.
Freak
spmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM #59
IronCityKidz
No Longer Plays

IronCityKidz helped look for balloons
IronCityKidz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmaniac View Post
Why go to all that trouble. I hear that TRP is for sale. Just buy it and make it tournament friendly. To many halfassed fields in the burg' as it is.
what source told you this, because im pretty sure its not

Douglas Reed Shugert - Licensed Real Estate Agent
Western, PA - Office - Beaver, PA - Deffenbaugh Realty
If interested PM ME and i'll send you my contact info.
IronCityKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM #60
Deceptionfront26
Looking for a team..

i highly doubt trp is for sale...

*NKnation* Support!

I play for you?
Old 11-08-2007, 06:17 PM #61
Huffman///
Show me your genitals

Daves may have and indoor, but it's only warm near the heaters. It's cold on the sides and on the feild.
Huffman/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:50 PM #62
Deceptionfront26
Looking for a team..

ya make sure your indoor is properly heated

*NKnation* Support!

I play for you?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:34 PM #63
tremonti_usa

Well, I think I tracked down some land off of 79. It's on Duff Road. Sort of in the sewickley area. 6 acres. It needs a lot of work though.

I think it could be readily made into a rec-ball area.

I don't know a timeframe yet.. I have to work out some logistics on the land itself before I can even begin to work the land.

Before I get started.. How many fields DO YOU GUYS WANT?! I'm not saying tell me what you want and I'll do it, but tell me what you're interested in and I can see if I can make it happen.

Again, no time frame as of yet. Feel free to keep suggesting.

Also, any preference in rental markers? I mean..from my stand point they need to be cheap. Most fields use tippmans, because they're so durable..and well..cheap. I'd rather not go that route if I could prevent it. There's also the idea that they can be run off C02 and compressed air. I'd like to do something like AAPP with three package options, but they have to be reasonably priced guns, because I have no idea of how many people are going to spend their money at my field.

Just so you know.. I'm a young guy and this is the way I'll always be. You make suggestions.. I think about it and if it seems reasonable and if I CAN do it.. I probably will.

seoul grips

Last edited by tremonti_usa : 11-09-2007 at 05:40 PM.