Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM #1
yumarattler

Automag pump question

I just picked up a mag with a partial pump kit. The pump kit is the reason I bought the mag. I was looking online and saw that there were two generations of pump kits??? One has a round rod and the other an oval??? The one I recieved has a round guide rod until it gets to where the rod goes into the pump and then it is an oval section that moves. If there is 2 generations of pump kits which do I have and which is better. This kit hasn't ever been used so it is stiff in the pump stroke and I was wondering if I should sand the rod a little or just pump the crap out of it to wear it in.

sorry for my post being all over the map

thanks

seth
yumarattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 AM #2
PumpMag

Hey Seth,

Nice purchase! Any Automag pump kit is rare. Sounds like you have the first version. I wouldn't recommend sanding it. Usually, it just needs some adjustment. If you bring it at OSC next time, I'll check it for you.

PumpMag
PumpMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:23 PM #3
yumarattler

I am pretty happy with the puchase. I go the mag with the eclipse splash kit dye boomstick and jandj ceramic with parts kit for $110.00. What adjustments are there? the rod that goes in just fits tight in the hole and that seems to be what is making it stiff on the stroke. I still have to mill the rail and the body out but I should do that next week some time. I wont be at any OSC until the first one of next season cause I am getting married in jan so I have been out this whole season to fund it. I shall be back in 08 though.

thanks

seth
Old 10-26-2007, 04:31 PM #4
flyingpootang

has been a member for 10 years
Seth, I like the Gen2 kits like you have because it more stable on the pump stroke. The Gen1 where round from front to back. The hard/grinding stroke can be cured by slightly bending up the end of the rod that contacts the bolt face. The grinding is caused because the pump rod dragging along the bottom of the bolt lip. Here is a pic of my pumpmag....
flyingpootang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 06:12 PM #5
maniacmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpootang View Post
Seth, I like the Gen2 kits like you have because it more stable on the pump stroke. The Gen1 where round from front to back. The hard/grinding stroke can be cured by slightly bending up the end of the rod that contacts the bolt face. The grinding is caused because the pump rod dragging along the bottom of the bolt lip. Here is a pic of my pumpmag....
Very nice pump , probley worth what 1 of my E Mags is worth , would be much nicer without the s/p barrel , yea I know they are good barrels , i've just grown to hate the company
all I own are Mags & AKA's
maniacmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:34 AM #6
yumarattler

I know the hard pump stroke has nothing to do with the rod that pushes the bolt back because it is not installed. The only thing installed is the pump arm on the rail and the stroke is stiff. It seems like where the oval part goes into the pump arm is tightl.

thanks

seth
Old 10-28-2007, 09:12 AM #7
A-Tach-One
AKA & CCM = Quality

I noticed that my pump handle rubbed the bottom of my ule body causing a stiff pump stroke. Something to check out.
A-Tach-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM #8
pbowler

I have had a similar problem, sometimes the pump arms path is not the most accurate down the rail, so the pump may swivel and rub against the ULE body
pbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 PM #9
PumpMag

Problem: Sounds like too much tension between the body and the rail. Your handle is pressing up too hard against the body.

Solution: Put a small o-oring or washer between the body and rail where the grip screw goes. It will serve as a spacer and should free up your handle.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM #10
jason_finnie

While we're on pump problems, I have one for you. Here is my gun;

Benchmark trigger and rail. I am using a blue bumper washer that I cut down to fit inside the wave spring.

My pump kit doesn't work with a stock wave spring and the pump power tube spacer. It literally still shoots semi with a stock wave spring. I tried 2 wave springs together, but then it doesn't always catch the bolt as it is too far forward as causes too much pressure.

Rainman229 from MCB had stretched my wave spring out quite a bit and it worked great for about 2 days, but then the wave spring slowly collapsed back to original size, causing erratic low velocities and eventually it resorted back to semi auto.

Basically I can't use my pump kit for more than a day without re-stretching my wave spring out and it won't work with a brand new wave spring at all, it just shoots semi. Any suggestions?

Last edited by jason_finnie : 10-29-2007 at 10:10 AM.
jason_finnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:16 PM #11
flyingpootang

has been a member for 10 years
Jason, Sounds like you need a new wave spring from Smileys. When I'm not using any of my mags I always remove the bolt, bolt spring, and wave spring. It keep them from being compressed too long and loosing tension.
flyingpootang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM #12
jason_finnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpootang View Post
Jason, Sounds like you need a new wave spring from Smileys. When I'm not using any of my mags I always remove the bolt, bolt spring, and wave spring. It keep them from being compressed too long and loosing tension.
Smileys? Got a link to it? Part number?

I too always remove my valves from my Mags when not in use.

I am reffering to brand new wave springs that have never been used before.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 PM #13
PumpMag

I've been shooting PumpMags for 3 years now. Yes, I've had to replace many wave springs during that time.

I've tried stretching them out as well until they broke apart. Save the old ones, you can always use broken sections and add a partial wave spring to provide more tension.

Another thing to do is to use old bolt springs. Put them side by side and use the shortest one. This should prevent the bolt from resetting with less force.

Also check your bolts and sears for wear, once the corners start to round off there isn't much to keep the bolt from catching and it often causes it to revert to semi-auto.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 AM #14
jason_finnie

I just corrected the problem. I dropped an extra stock blue bumper in behind the wave spring, in addition to the cut blue bumper I use.

Works like a charm now!!

Also, here is a copy from AGDRetro about a possible better wave spring;

I found that the wave spring suggested by so many wears out too quickly. Most of us have snagged them from a company called Smalley. I had the same problem as you, mine would go semi all the time. I got frustrated with it and just sold the darn kit. Well after playing with my Phantom and cursing it for it's inability to fight rollout very well I have decided to give a pump Mag another chance. Long story short I did some research and found another company that makes wave springs, called Spirolox. I'm currently using their CMM-100-4 wave spring with great success! The CMM-100-4 is a full turn longer than the Smalley part everybody has been using and has given me no semi-auto action thus far. You could probably score a free sample of this part by calling Spirolox at 1-888-774-7679. Hope it works for you as it has for me!
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM #15
smoothice

glad you got it working.

The other wave spring company you mentioned is not as liberal with the samples. But if they last longer then you won't need as many anyways.
smoothice is offline   Reply With Quote