Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 10-26-2003, 08:34 AM #64
emnm79
Banned

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
If your reasoning is taken into affect, which it should'nt be, and everything is exactly the same from a paintball gun except the mass of the paintball, the paintball with less mass will go FARTHER, why do you ask? Newtons Second Law of Motion, where Force=Mass x Acceleration. So, Acceleration= Force/Mass. Since everything is the same, the paintballs will stay in the air the exact same time, but since the one paintball has more mass, its acceleration is less, which means the paintball with less mass will travel FASTER, therefore getting it FARTHER.
you are correct, but you are forgetting about something, the ligher one will have more accelleration, BUT, because it has less mass, it will also have less force, meaning it will decellerate quicker, the larger one may not accellerate as fast, BUT, in a paintball gun, that would not matter, because we would adjust the gun to shoot it at a certain fps, so they will both start out at the same fps, the larger mass will take more air to move though, and then, ,the lighter ball has less inertia(force) so the air resistance slows it, but the heavier ball has more intertia(force) and it takes longer for the air resistance to slow it down...

imo, the gun does matter, even at the same velocity, same paint match, the way the air is applied to the ball could dent it, spin it, etc... ie: turbulence in the air shooting the ball, or too much psi, not enough volume.. BUT, with most good guns, that doesnt matter, the most important part is paint match...
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2003, 11:49 AM #65
bushwhakersplinter

here here!! we will leave it at that. to me it doesnt matter cause i am usually only 20-50 feet from my opponents which is no prob from almost any gun
DW
GS
all rock my sox
Old 10-26-2003, 03:06 PM #66
parisinflames7
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by bushwhakersplinter
i said the amount of air put behind the ball with change mass, and my skateboard suv thingy was a bad description. if an object is accelerated to 300fps with a mass of 21g then it will travel farther than an object accelerated to 300fps with a mass of 10g.

yea its called momentum, but all your saying really proves that if i shoot a marble at 300fps it will travel further than a paintball shot at 300fps