PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:54 PM #22
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't it used to be an 1800 member threshold? back in the days before the asm?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2007, 11:56 PM #23
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
WillyW0nka plays in the APPA D4 division
I don't remember, I've had SM for such a long time now. For as long as I can remember it was 1500.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM #24
Tacobueno V2 (Banned)

Tacobueno V2 supports Team VICIOUS
Tacobueno V2 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
It would make sense to increase the number a little bit each year based on the percent increase of members on the site.
after reading that i would have to agree with you.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM #25
ionshooter93
✈ ✈ ✈

ionshooter93 is a Paintball photographer
How about Pbn makes us pay like an (OPTIONAL) 1 or 2 dollars a year then we get unlimited searching
CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM #26
texaspaintballplpaye

Annual Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
I agree completely with you, its rediculous to say "you can't search anything on the site until the dead hours of the night unless you pay us". Its pretty much just PBN taking advantage of members who need to use the search feature. Thats also one of the reasons why they increased the price of supporting member and decreased the amount of time it lasts. They figured if they did that, that could get you to not only pay more to use the site, but you'll have to continue to pay more.

I use the search feature probably every day, as its very useful in finding things. The site is so large now that there are just some things that would take ages without the search feature. In most clubs, people w/o ASM just ask someone who has it to search for them and link them, rather than spending 2 hours sorting through the b/s/t to find a type of headband or something.

I can understand that the site needs plenty of money to continue operating, but I don't think bumping the search limit up to 1600 or so would damage the revenue greatly.

First off your first sentence is ridiculous. How much did it cost you to join the largest forum in the world? Free right. They need money for servers and a simple tool they make you pay for. Everything else is free to use and they don't mind. The ASM gives way more added benefits, including the gold ups, oh but let me guess you don't need them? Sell them to someone then. Two dollars cheaper and you have cut the price down on ASM. They aren't taking advantage of you when there are other ways to search, hence google.com which no one seems to want to use, but complain about not searching. The reason why the topic is never responded too is because the frequency of it being asked, and begged for. It we increase it now, why not just make unlimited? I mean after the increase now, the site will continue to grow and people will want 2,000 members. If you cannot pay the price of ASM paintball shouldn't be your sport considering the prices of the sport.

The site isn't ripping anyone off, it is using a feature that is used, but not a necessity to posting on the site, and making money off it. They are trying to compensate for the large amount of use of the site, and upgrade to make it faster, and more useful to everyone. Sorry if you feel they are power-hungry Moderators trying to have a get rich scheme in place to make your life hell because you couldn't search. Even with out ASM I never searched a lot, and I would still feel the same way if I wasn't an ASM. I like the site, and they don't require anything from me when I join, why not donate money. Is .9 a cent a day really that much to you?

Last edited by texaspaintballplpaye : 10-24-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:24 AM #27
ace921000
HK is not the way!

It's to prevent downtime. With everyone searching the site would run slower. And it is also there so you pay some money. :|
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM #28
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

Annual Supporting Member
PhantomGhost donated to help Peyton Trent
PhantomGhost supports our troops
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life

Also, google will allow you to add mulitple words and find exactly what you are looking for!!!

I use it instead of the regular search sometimes when I am looking for a multiple word Item!

So quit complaining and learn how to use the web.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM #29
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaintballplpaye View Post
First off your first sentence is ridiculous. How much did it cost you to join the largest forum in the world? Nobody here has complained about or even mentioned any type of joining fee, I'm not sure why you are.Free right. They need money for servers and a simple tool they make you pay for. Everything else is free to use and they don't mind. A "simple tool" that is one of the most useful things this site has to offer. People use it to catch scammers, find guns/gear and recover old posts that may contain something they need. The ASM gives way more added benefits, including the gold ups, oh but let me guess you don't need them? Why would you assume that? I bought ASM last year and used both of the gold ups extremely quickly, and they were very useful. You've guessed wrong. Sell them to someone then. Two dollars cheaper and you have cut the price down on ASM. That doesn't mean you don't have to have the original amount to start with, which some people don't have. Not everyone has a credit card or bank account they can start paypal with. They aren't taking advantage of you when there are other ways to search, hence google.com which no one seems to want to use, but complain about not searching. Google sucks. I've used it, its garbage. It produces alot of crap that you aren't looking for. The reason why the topic is never responded too is because the frequency of it being asked, and begged for. It we increase it now, why not just make unlimited? That doesn't make any sense at all. My plan is to slightly increase the search limit by a number correlating to the increase in users from one year to the next. Meaning every year you may see a 50-100 member increase in the search limit (assuming that the number of users is actually changing). The number will go down as well in the event of users leaving the forum. I mean after the increase now, the site will continue to grow and people will want 2,000 members. If you cannot pay the price of ASM paintball shouldn't be your sport considering the prices of the sport. That logic is horribly misguided. If people are already spending loads of money on the sport, they should be able to spend even more money on a website? That doesn't make any sense at all. I make VERY little money, and I know for a fact that many paintball players are constantly broke.

The site isn't ripping anyone off, it is using a feature that is used, but not a necessity to posting on the site, and making money off it. They are trying to compensate for the large amount of use of the site, and upgrade to make it faster, and more useful to everyone. Sorry if you feel they are power-hungry Moderators trying to have a get rich scheme in place to make your life hell because you couldn't search. Did you even READ my damn post? If you did, you would have noticed when I said "I can understand that the site needs plenty of money to continue operating". I never called monderators "power hungry" nor did I mention any "get rich quick schemes". I didn't say we were getting "ripped off". You're just making things up based on arguments that other less-informed people have had in the past. I personally know a moderator and I know that they aren't evil monsters bent on taking our money. I'm insulted by the things you're "assuming" I believe. Don't put words into my mouth.Even with out ASM I never searched a lot, and I would still feel the same way if I wasn't an ASM. Then you aren't a very active member. I'm in the b/s/t section every day, and I'm constantly looking things up. You may not utilize an important feature of the site, but that doesn't mean everyone else shares your view.I like the site, and they don't require anything from me when I join, why not donate money. Is .9 a cent a day really that much to you? ASM is a purchase, not a donation.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:20 PM #30
llamajoey
RHCP

llamajoey owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i swear google's search is 50x better than pbnation's so called search (found that out after buying asm).

wait wat? its free? wat the hell?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:39 PM #31
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamajoey View Post
i swear google's search is 50x better than pbnation's so called search (found that out after buying asm).

wait wat? its free? wat the hell?
Wow you're totally the first person to suggest that!

Oh wait, no you aren't.

Google search isn't better than PBN's seeing as you can't narrow your search to specific forums. If you search using google, it will give you results matching threads from all over the site.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:37 PM #32
SpeedBallDEVIL
Certified KEE Technician!

SpeedBallDEVIL donated to help Peyton Trent
SpeedBallDEVIL owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SpeedBallDEVIL supports Bob Gurnsey
SpeedBallDEVIL supports our troops
SpeedBallDEVIL is reppin' sidebar 4 life
SpeedBallDEVIL has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Oh wait, no you aren't.

Google search isn't better than PBN's seeing as you can't narrow your search to specific forums. If you search using google, it will give you results matching threads from all over the site.
It also shows few up to date threads.. most are a yr old and have been abanded.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM #33
PenguinMan
Flightless Water Fowl

Annual Supporting Member
PenguinMan is a Supporting Member
PenguinMan is reppin' sidebar 4 life
The reason the cap is on searching is because searching through the millions of records here takes a lot of resources. It really hammers the servers.

More searching = Slower PbN.

Then everyone would be in here complaining that pages are loading too slowly.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:05 PM #34
BAMFPaintball69
Get on my level *****es

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMan View Post
The reason the cap is on searching is because searching through the millions of records here takes a lot of resources. It really hammers the servers.

I think this is the only person here that understands the searching cap. I used to hate the 1500 cap, till I got the asm. It is only $30, that is less than a case of paint. so dont shoot that much next time you go to play. and besides, how else (besides ads) could pbn be up on the internet, if they cant pay the "bills"?
Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM #35
p8ntball@ddict
CT's bestest butt buddy.

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is a Moderator
p8ntball@ddict is a Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntball@ddict supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntball@ddict is a PbNation video producer
p8ntball@ddict supports our troops
p8ntball@ddict has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Oh wait, no you aren't.

You can narrow the url address down to the specific forum you are searching. I don't think it is limited to just www.pbnation.com

tldr; provide links.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:57 PM #36
what the heck?
Me Llamo Brad

what the heck? is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomGhost View Post

Also, google will allow you to add mulitple words and find exactly what you are looking for!!!

I use it instead of the regular search sometimes when I am looking for a multiple word Item!

So quit complaining and learn how to use the web.
ok no need to be rude. i found that a couple days after i posted this, so the mods can close this thread if they would like.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM #37
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMan View Post

I know, but how noticeable could a small increase be?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFPaintball69 View Post
I think this is the only person here that understands the searching cap. I used to hate the 1500 cap, till I got the asm. It is only $30, that is less than a case of paint. so dont shoot that much next time you go to play. and besides, how else (besides ads) could pbn be up on the internet, if they cant pay the "bills"?
I think most people in here realize what a huge number of searches does, not just PM. And increasing the number of people allowed to search by 50 won't put PBN in bankruptcy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntball@ddict View Post
You can narrow the url address down to the specific forum you are searching. I don't think it is limited to just www.pbnation.com
Could you explain to me how? I think that would help alot of people out if it were stickied.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 PM #38
p8ntball@ddict
CT's bestest butt buddy.

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is a Moderator
p8ntball@ddict is a Supporting Member
p8ntball@ddict is playing at Living Legends V
p8ntball@ddict supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntball@ddict is a PbNation video producer
p8ntball@ddict supports our troops
p8ntball@ddict has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Could you explain to me how? I think that would help alot of people out if it were stickied.

There is a part dedicated to this in the sticky in this forum but here's how you do it.

Start off with www.google.com and click the advanced search button

This screen should come up:

Enter your information into the fields necessary. For this example I chose the West- Regional forum and Splat Riot as my search content. Click search and you should get your results for only that forum. It should look like this:

Photobucket is being a pain so I will rehost it when I get home, but you get the idea

tldr; provide links.

Last edited by p8ntball@ddict : 10-24-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM #39
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
Quote:
I know, but how noticeable could a small increase be?
The problem with a small increase like that is that it's a slippery slope.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM #40
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel View Post
The problem with a small increase like that is that it's a slippery slope.
No, it isn't. If you would just read what I wrote, you would see that the number will increase only once per year, and only by a small amount based on the percentage increase in the number of users on the site. The ratio they choose to up the number by could be minimal and people would still be appreciative, and the site wouldn't notice any major changes.

I'd like to see poll results of how many people would leave the nation because the 1500 member rule turned to 1525.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:54 PM #41
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntball@ddict View Post
Ty, its not quite as efficient as the pbn search but it would be very helpful to those without SM or ASM. Better than nothing
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM #42
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
SM doesn't get to search any more any time they want...I had that problem after I got home from Iraq (I left before ASM) and I got ASM so I could search again.

I was told by a mod that the SM is now just a tag.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
Closed Thread