Community Focus

Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 AM #43
pballLover
M9nofG0d

has been a member for 10 years
pballLover is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyballer67 View Post
Because we use less paint and if we become more popular, then everyone starts shooting less paint and with less paint being shot = less money going to the paint companies
totally!!! absolutely right
NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW. REMEMBER AMATUERS BUILT THE ARK, PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC
pballLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 AM #44
CULPIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyballer67 View Post
Because we use less paint and if we become more popular, then everyone starts shooting less paint and with less paint being shot = less money going to the paint companies
thats a bad thing if the industry cant support itself. If people shot less paint then paint would go back up in price. i would prefer not paying $100+ per case.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:28 AM #45
PumpMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxpro View Post
FACT: Pump teams will not pay $2000 to play one tournament

and even if was only half of that, that's still more money than most pump teams spend to play an entire season's worth of pump tournmanents.
Very true.

I was thinking that the OSC / NSA events can take place at NPPL Huntington Beach like the College Championships/and young guns? They use the fields in the current 3man and 5man formats at lower cost.

This can keep it more attractive to draw a lot of teams and have pump competition highly visible at a major event.
PumpMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 02:30 AM #46
CULPIN

i think that would make allot of sense. It would have to be a single high profile event like HB that would attract as many pump players as possible from all over.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 PM #47
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
I like the idea of a single pump event at one location each year. That would draw maximum attendance (if planned and promoted well) and I bet would be a huge hit. I couldn't play, since I'm a ref, but I'd volunteer to ref the division

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM #48
Owned13
The Family

Owned13 is a Supporting Member
there were actually talks between the NSA and the NPPL last year for something along the lines of using the fields on Sunday for a large pump event. The reality is that while people say they want to do a large event when it comes down to actually sign up not enough teams are willing to spend the money on airfare, hotel, entry, etc. Refs cost money, field fees cost money, prizes need money etc. At the same time you ask a lot of pump players why they play they say it's to save money. So we have a catch-22. Chuck Hendsch of JT recently saw first hand at OSC Hawaii the high level of play at the pump level. Two years ago Sean Walker did watch Pump Jam and saw all the high level of play. Who knows, maybe one day a pump division will come back.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 PM #49
eyeownyu
ryan

eyeownyu plays in the APPA D3 division
f

"It's the decisions you make when you have no time to make them that defines who you are." ~ teh_masterer
Only after disaster can we be resurrected. ~Tyler Durden
San Diego Pirates
VSB.
eyeownyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 AM #50
pballLover
M9nofG0d

pballLover is a Paintball photographer
we need unity to make it to nppl.....
NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW. REMEMBER AMATUERS BUILT THE ARK, PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC
pballLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM #51
AIM
All Things HK and Demetri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owned13 View Post
there were actually talks between the NSA and the NPPL last year for something along the lines of using the fields on Sunday for a large pump event. The reality is that while people say they want to do a large event when it comes down to actually sign up not enough teams are willing to spend the money on airfare, hotel, entry, etc. Refs cost money, field fees cost money, prizes need money etc. At the same time you ask a lot of pump players why they play they say it's to save money. So we have a catch-22. Chuck Hendsch of JT recently saw first hand at OSC Hawaii the high level of play at the pump level. Two years ago Sean Walker did watch Pump Jam and saw all the high level of play. Who knows, maybe one day a pump division will come back.
its all true, but im sure some players would love to play for a bit more to play in an actual NPPL event. i know i would(if i was good), and it would spread pump as well. make it cost more. sponsors of NPPL might jump on because theyre with NPPL, and they just like pump. so maybe get some prizes by that? and make it a better format. like best of 3 back to back games. or 5. ive always leaned to playing xball because there arent enough games in nppl. even between games theres like a 5 minute down time which is a real downer.

who knows. i hope it happens.

AIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 PM #52
R3L
CCM is not a verb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciballer52 View Post
I think they want a separate thing just for pump markers though.
NPPPL?
R3L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:08 PM #53
Wild Adventure

Wild Adventure is a founding member
I think we are just fine with the OSC series. I don't know how many of you have played NPPL but why would you want to support them over the OSC. We are trying to change the image of tourney paintball. Both of my children stopped playing paintball because of NPPL, and I own a field. I finally talked them back into playing by playing Pump. My daughters team made the Masters divison the first year and my son finally got good at pump and has won a couple of the OSC tourneys. I only put on OSC tournaments at my field. We need to support the series that supports the pump players and not just the money. How much do you think the entry fee would be at a NPPL event and what more would you get? Would the NPPL let it be limited paint? Would you get better reffing?
The only thing that you might get is more exposure. Read the letter from the pro NPPL team from Europe that has stopped playing the series and then really think if you want a NPPL pump tournament.
Wild Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:34 PM #54
Pyrate Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Adventure View Post
I think we are just fine with the OSC series.
That may be great for some, but OSC doesn't come within 3,000 miles of me or anyone else up here in New England.
Around here, fields need revenue from paint sales to finance competitions. Which they don't get from pump players.

So either you play rec, or you enter into open class tournies playing against electro's.
PTI #2691 ~ C1, C2, C5, C5a, C6
http://www.paintball-pti.com/
Pyrate Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:50 PM #55
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrate Jim View Post
That may be great for some, but OSC doesn't come within 3,000 miles of me or anyone else up here in New England.
Around here, fields need revenue from paint sales to finance competitions. Which they don't get from pump players.

So either you play rec, or you enter into open class tournies playing against electro's.
I concur.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:46 PM #56
Linuss

You simply CANNOT use the "Paint companies don't get money from pumpers arguement" as to why pump is not in the NPPL. It's ignorant.

When I played at the OSC, guess what? FREE PAINT PROVIDED BY PMI.

PMI GAVE the OSC paint for FREE for us to use at the tournament. Did they get any money? No. They did it for promotion of the sport.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 AM #57
Wild Adventure

Wild Adventure is a founding member
You have a couple of choices to not having a OSC in your area. First you can get in touch with Kristen Kleist and if you have enough interest as well as a good park to have it at then she might just set up a tournament, or as we did a whole series. We didn't have any pump tournaments in Nor-Cal until I got with Kristen and we started it. It has worked out real well. The other suggestion I have for you is come on out to either so-cal or Nor-Cal for one of our tournaments. Plane tickets are cheaper out here and you could take a vacation in sunny California as well as play in a great tournament. We really want to spread good pump play throughout the whole country so give Kristen a call.
Debbie
WAP
Wild Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 AM #58
D3AGL3_PBALLER
CN's Finest

D3AGL3_PBALLER posts videos on PbNation
D3AGL3_PBALLER has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D3AGL3_PBALLER has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
You simply CANNOT use the "Paint companies don't get money from pumpers arguement" as to why pump is not in the NPPL. It's ignorant.

When I played at the OSC, guess what? FREE PAINT PROVIDED BY PMI.

PMI GAVE the OSC paint for FREE for us to use at the tournament. Did they get any money? No. They did it for promotion of the sport.
Truth is, yes, they will dish out to promote the sport. Hell, we have managed to pick up sponsorships that have been well sought after by other pump teams. But at the end of the day, everything revolves around that almighty dollar. A National league will not survive unless its cutting a profit. The only league I see pulling this off so far is the OSC, and even then, it is still a limited paint league, which will deter the interest of many industry sponsors, specifically paint comapnies, just due to the lack of consumption of their product. In order to make this a reality, I think something such as the NSA of yesteryear would need to be brought back. An open class tournament, with only small limitations, in which paint was still being thrown around, yet the essence of true pump play was still very much there. I believe the NSA had it right their first year, and all this experimenting is a waste of both time and resources, as there is already a "stock/limited" league. What we need is a truly OPEN CLASS PUMP league, which would open the field up for both veteran pumpers and the newer semi to pump converts.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 AM #59
Linuss

Thanks for reminding me Deagle...

SPONSORSHIPS!

A lot of the teams that play in national events have paint sponsorships, either for free paint or at a reduced cost.

Add that savings up by how many teams get it, and that's a LOT of money.

The majority of the money a paint company makes is off of rec ball players, the 8.7 million of them that play every year. Not off of the 5% that play tournaments.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 PM #60
Snowdawgy

I don't think so cause Joy Div says NPPL reffing sucks

And pumpers go for a higher standard
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 PM #61
Beaux
Capt. of Pumpenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3AGL3_PBALLER View Post
An open class tournament, with only small limitations, in which paint was still being thrown around, yet the essence of true pump play was still very much there. I believe the NSA had it right their first year, and all this experimenting is a waste of both time and resources, as there is already a "stock/limited" league. What we need is a truly OPEN CLASS PUMP league, which would open the field up for both veteran pumpers and the newer semi to pump converts.
hmmmm.

Sponsors:
Tank's Paintball | pumpleague.com | HRL

My PBNation Feedback
Beaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:41 PM #62
cockerpunk (Banned)
Show Me the Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3AGL3_PBALLER View Post
Truth is, yes, they will dish out to promote the sport. Hell, we have managed to pick up sponsorships that have been well sought after by other pump teams. But at the end of the day, everything revolves around that almighty dollar. A National league will not survive unless its cutting a profit. The only league I see pulling this off so far is the OSC, and even then, it is still a limited paint league, which will deter the interest of many industry sponsors, specifically paint comapnies, just due to the lack of consumption of their product. In order to make this a reality, I think something such as the NSA of yesteryear would need to be brought back. An open class tournament, with only small limitations, in which paint was still being thrown around, yet the essence of true pump play was still very much there. I believe the NSA had it right their first year, and all this experimenting is a waste of both time and resources, as there is already a "stock/limited" league. What we need is a truly OPEN CLASS PUMP league, which would open the field up for both veteran pumpers and the newer semi to pump converts.
limited paint doesn't mean anything. you can use anything you want in OSC, so long as its pump. sounds pretty "open" to me. most poeple shoot snipers in OSC anyway.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:53 AM #63
CULPIN

the shear fact that its said there is a limited paint amount with deter event sponsorship, even if the players don't actually use it.