PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM #127
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by axmann View Post
What is your opinion on radar detectors/jammers? Will you hit someone who has one with a harder fine?
No mercy if you have a radar detector ....and I write on the ticket that you had a radar detector in case you go to court.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 PM #128
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sendker View Post
Say your under 21 and your passenger is also. You get pulled over while being a designated driver for your buddy. Does the cop have the right to breathalize your passenger?
If he believes he's underage and your buddy doesn't have an ID on him. But I wouldn't bother if he's of age.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM #129
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelite View Post
"Because some of these things aren't like the others" just like on sesame street, lol. Nice to see other officers on the boards. 8 years now in law enforcement, 7 in regular patrol and now on our street crimes unit. Haven't read the most part of the thread but will try and keep tabs from now on.
A guy I work with always sings that song....
Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 PM #130
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
They can search your backpack too....why? Because the Supreme Court says so.
So if I say no, and wnat to take it to the supreme court, I guess thats fine and dandy with you?
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM #131
Cone_420
B-Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
So if I say no, and wnat to take it to the supreme court, I guess thats fine and dandy with you?
Do you not realize the Supreme Court is the supreme law of the land? What they say goes, if they say your backpack can be searched, it can be searched. He's just telling you that yes it's legal for your locker/backpack to be searched because it's the law. He may not know the reasoning behind it, you have to talk to the supreme court Justices about that.

EDIT: apunk, you see my question about searching campus housing/dormotories?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM #132
Fromage_redux
<3 Zooey Stalker <3

Quote:
he just does what the supreme court rules, wy aare you jumping down his throat. dont bring drugs to shool, i did a couple times and it was dumb so never again
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM #133
HOBOBOB
&lt;3 DP

Quote:
I'll have to double check the concealed weapon law, but I don't think your 3in blade would be illegal to carry in your pocket. Don't quote me on this, but in GA I think it has to be a 4in blade for it to be considered a concealed weapon (check www.findlaw.com).
thank you very much, I'll check that out. another question is.. I'm not sure if you have heard of skype, but it lets you call peoples phones from you computer without a telephone number attached to you. It is anonymous (for the most part, though I have heard exceptions), so my question is, if I harass someone enough, what kind of action would you pursue to find me, or how hard would you try. I personally never threaten my "victims" but I will make them uncomfortable sometimes (using white pages info. for adress and stuff), but I know people who have threatend to kill the people, and they have had cops called to their houses and supposedly set up taps...which were still called. (used to be part of an internet prank phone call community)..on there everyone always debated how hard anyone would try to find us, and if the cops even really cared, since it pretty much seemed fake (to us at least)
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM #134
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromage_redux View Post
he just does what the supreme court rules, wy aare you jumping down his throat. dont bring drugs to shool, i did a couple times and it was dumb so never again
I don't but why live by a law thats completly unjust. Some people don't understand why people stray of the path and create trouble. Ture its not his fault, but he doesn't even know why he enforces the law like most cops, and its stupid to put someone in a postition to enforce the law, when they don't even understand the law in the first place, and don't care to.

I have a problem with it, mabye its dandy with you. A police force that won't question is a great utility for the government.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM #135
Mike Sendker
Future Liberator

Quote:
If he believes he's underage and your buddy doesn't have an ID on him. But I wouldn't bother if he's of age.
But he's a passenger, so he's not legally required to show his ID. And what would the breathalizer be for if he's not operating a vehicle and the cop doesn't know how old he is? Innocent until proven guilty? (over 21 until proven under?)
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM #136
Kill teh King
Jack of Blades

Sorry, I know the OP is being overwhelmed with questions, but I always hear from teachers that we lose a lot of our rights being on campus. Any truth to this or are they just trying to scare us? If true, then what rights do we lose?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM #137
Cone_420
B-Unit

Quote:
I don't but why live by a law thats completly unjust. Some people don't understand why people stray of the path and create trouble. Ture its not his fault, but he doesn't even know why he enforces the law like most cops, and its stupid to put someone in a postition to enforce the law, when they don't even understand the law in the first place, and don't care to.

I have a problem with it, mabye its dandy with you. A police force that won't question is a great utility for the government.
I agree with you on some parts there too. I generally don't like cops, but I do know that our society would be chaos without them. There will always be issues with violating rights and trying to keep the public safe. Excluding any racial or discrimiantion factors, police enforce these law and will search our backpacks because they want the public to be safe.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:35 PM #138
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_420 View Post
I agree with you on some parts there too. I generally don't like cops, but I do know that our society would be chaos without them. There will always be issues with violating rights and trying to keep the public safe. Excluding any racial or discrimiantion factors, police enforce these law and will search our backpacks because they want the public to be safe.
Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. Theres some bad cops out there. One bad one, is one to many. I would only trust those to protect me that are the finest, and unfortunatly, who can't become a cop?

They should require some sort of test for why the laws are in place, which would deter people who just want to be dicks, and actually make it so that when you ask why is what I'm doing illegal you can get a better answer than, because big brother says so.

The way it stands I think I could run circles around apjunkie in a debate about the Supreme court, and the reason he inforces a law.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Last edited by mynameisjonathon : 10-10-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:44 PM #139
Cone_420
B-Unit

Quote:
Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither. Theres some bad cops out there. One bad one, is one to many. I would only trust those to protect me that are the finest, and unfortunatly, who can't become a cop?
You have to realize that there has to be a compromise. Think about the different scenarios that occur. Let's say a drunk driver gets pulled over and the cop was to do a sobriety test or breathalyzer but he can't because the driver has rights that are protected. Now that drunk diver will drive off and potentially kill someone. Are you understanding my point? Now I'm not saying lets allow the police to pull random people over and do breathalyzers. I've heard of police doing roadblocks and checking for drunk drivers which is absolutely ridiculous. There should always be probable cause. The problem lies with the term probable cause, because it's so arbitrary and can be interpreted many different ways.

Yes, there are bad cops too. There was even a thread in ST or OSST about bad cops who arrested in this kids town. I've read about the Ricky Ross Task Force who carried crack on them to plant on Rick Ross if they ever caught him. There is a very small percentage of bad cops and we can't generalize from those few.

Last edited by Cone_420 : 10-10-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 PM #140
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone_420 View Post
You have to realize that there has to be a compromise. Think about the different scenarios that occur. Let's say a drunk driver gets pulled over and the cop was to do a sobriety test or breathalyzer but he can't because the driver has rights that are protected. Now that drunk diver will drive off and potentially kill someone. Are you understanding my point? Now I'm not saying lets allow the police to pull random people over and do breathalyzers. I've heard of police doing roadblocks and checking for drunk drivers which is absolutely ridiculous. There should always be probable cause. The problem lies with the term probable cause, because it's so arbitrary and can be interpreted many different ways.

Yes, there are bad cops too. There was even a thread in ST or OSST about bad cops who arrested in this kids town. I've read about the Ricky Ross Task Force who carried crack on them to plant on Rick Ross if they ever caught him. There is a very small percentage of bad cops and we can't generalize from those few.
Fine and dandy, I'm ready to compromise. Just require some sort of test I had in my edit, and make it so judges will actually listen to the logical pleas of defendents in the cases of bad cops, like your road block example, and make stuff like that, that happens, stop. I'm competely happy for the law to be enforced against me, so long as the person can tell me why they are enforcing it and how it isn't unconstitutional.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Last edited by mynameisjonathon : 10-10-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM #141
Cone_420
B-Unit

Quote:
Fine and dandy, I'm ready to compromise. Just require some sort of test I had in my eidt, and make it so judges will actually listen to the logical pleas of defendents in the cases of bad cops, like your road block example, and make stuff like that, that happens stop. I'm competely happy for the law to be enforced against me, so long as the person can tell me why they are enforcing it and how it isn't unconstitutional.
I think a big problem is that a lot of people are unclear about the law. They don't know what defines probably cause for a search when they get pulled over. So cops will say, "yeah we can search your vehicle and you will go to jail" so people are afraid to say no. I also think some of the reason for probable cause is bull****.

That's where I think a lot of people are afraid of the police. They don't understand their rights or the laws as well as a police officer does, so the officer can take advantage of that situation. That's why I think a lot of people fear or hate the police.

Last edited by Cone_420 : 10-10-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:28 AM #142
bluelite
The Bronze

Quote:
Fine and dandy, I'm ready to compromise. Just require some sort of test I had in my edit, and make it so judges will actually listen to the logical pleas of defendents in the cases of bad cops, like your road block example, and make stuff like that, that happens, stop. I'm competely happy for the law to be enforced against me, so long as the person can tell me why they are enforcing it and how it isn't unconstitutional.
We are enforcing the laws because they are what they are, the laws. We don't have to personally agree with the reasoning or philosophy behind every law to do our jobs. Do I think marijuana should be legalized? Yep. Do I make arrests for possession all the time? Yep. Whether a law is unconstitutional or not is a decision for the supreme court, not for an officer enforcing it while it's currently on the books. A bunch of officers running around selectively enforcing only the laws they agree with based on their own personal philosohies is not a real good idea. That's why most CCP's have been evolving over the years to further limit officer discretion in many situations and then departmental liability suits push that discretion into an even smaller box with department policies designed to protect the department from officers use of said discretion. Take the changes to the family violence laws here in Texas. It's gotten almost to the point where it is impossible to go to a domestic dispute and leave without arresting someone. Not to mention for every citizen such as yourself who thinks I am doing someone an injustice, there is a citizen who thinks I am not doing enough to that person. Which of you am I supposed to be serving? We have a ride along program here in Waco and I always ask my riders as I drive around whether they would stop out on certain people and inevitably they are much more likely to find someone suspicious and willing to detain them without reason than I am actually allowed to. Yet these are supposedly reasonable people, the very people who reasonable suspicion is based on. If I stopped all the people they wanted me to stop I would be sued, quickly. Each of these people feel that I am not doing the job the way they would and have to have "reasonable suspicion" explained to them, then they argue that it is unreasonable. Being a police officer is a lose-lose situation. Good thing we get to drive fast and carry guns or everyone would quit.
I also like your little bit about everyone can be a cop. I guess that we have a nationwide hiring shortage because we're out of dummies.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 AM #143
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelite View Post
We are enforcing the laws because they are what they are, the laws. We don't have to personally agree with the reasoning or philosophy behind every law to do our jobs. Do I think marijuana should be legalized? Yep. Do I make arrests for possession all the time? Yep. Whether a law is unconstitutional or not is a decision for the supreme court, not for an officer enforcing it while it's currently on the books. A bunch of officers running around selectively enforcing only the laws they agree with based on their own personal philosohies is not a real good idea. That's why most CCP's have been evolving over the years to further limit officer discretion in many situations and then departmental liability suits push that discretion into an even smaller box with department policies designed to protect the department from officers use of said discretion. Take the changes to the family violence laws here in Texas. It's gotten almost to the point where it is impossible to go to a domestic dispute and leave without arresting someone. Not to mention for every citizen such as yourself who thinks I am doing someone an injustice, there is a citizen who thinks I am not doing enough to that person. Which of you am I supposed to be serving? We have a ride along program here in Waco and I always ask my riders as I drive around whether they would stop out on certain people and inevitably they are much more likely to find someone suspicious and willing to detain them without reason than I am actually allowed to. Yet these are supposedly reasonable people, the very people who reasonable suspicion is based on. If I stopped all the people they wanted me to stop I would be sued, quickly. Each of these people feel that I am not doing the job the way they would and have to have "reasonable suspicion" explained to them, then they argue that it is unreasonable. Being a police officer is a lose-lose situation. Good thing we get to drive fast and carry guns or everyone would quit.
I also like your little bit about everyone can be a cop. I guess that we have a nationwide hiring shortage because we're out of dummies.
Thats, great, but when I ask you why what I am doing is illegal I don't think its redicilous to get an answer besdies, "I Have no idea, I just enforce the law buddy." You can't explain yourself in a situation correctly when you have no idea what law you are breaking, and why its in place. Its honestly that simple, its an unfair system and its completly redicilous.

Furthermore, how many people actually aren't qualifed to become cops? Sure we can weed out some people, but I'm willing to bet, if I personally felt like it, I could be a cop, which is good enough for my point.

Anyways, like I've said in this thread at least once, the Supreme court has an unconstitutional power ever since 1803, in my book, not that any COP in here actually knows what I'm refering to, which is why I think the supreme court has to much power, because the people who enforce the law don't have to know it, and don't have to ask questions.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Last edited by mynameisjonathon : 10-11-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:24 AM #144
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Wow, what a ****ty answer. What if I advocate states rights, and think the Marbury vs Madison trail was a cheap tatic for the Central government to become unconsitutionaly powerful. Then what sir? Or do you know anything about it and your just going to give me some smartass answer again?

I'm guessing the ladder, so since in the other thread you told me you thought about laws, whats your justification for this law? Or are you just proving my point again?
Well seriously, that's what the Supreme Court says...they make the laws we follow. Plus, police officers can't search you without probable cause, not even on school grounds...however, school administrations can search you whenever they want, without probable cause, on school grounds.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM #145
apunkjunkie

Quote:
I can't search you, its the administration that searches you.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 AM #146
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBOBOB View Post
thank you very much, I'll check that out. another question is.. I'm not sure if you have heard of skype, but it lets you call peoples phones from you computer without a telephone number attached to you. It is anonymous (for the most part, though I have heard exceptions), so my question is, if I harass someone enough, what kind of action would you pursue to find me, or how hard would you try. I personally never threaten my "victims" but I will make them uncomfortable sometimes (using white pages info. for adress and stuff), but I know people who have threatend to kill the people, and they have had cops called to their houses and supposedly set up taps...which were still called. (used to be part of an internet prank phone call community)..on there everyone always debated how hard anyone would try to find us, and if the cops even really cared, since it pretty much seemed fake (to us at least)
There's a charged called "harassing communications" (a misdemeanor) which does get investigated. You're never "anonymous" on the internet, even if you think you are. There are always IP addresses that can be traced with cooperation (or through a subpoena) through the internet companies.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:29 AM #147
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sendker View Post
But he's a passenger, so he's not legally required to show his ID. And what would the breathalizer be for if he's not operating a vehicle and the cop doesn't know how old he is? Innocent until proven guilty? (over 21 until proven under?)
Yes and no. If I have probable cause that the passenger is committing a crime (like underage drinking) then I have a right to demand his information and he has to give it to me. If he's not doing anything wrong, I can always ask and never really had a problem (except people lying to me about who they are, but I couldn't do anything about it).