Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 PM #1135
JoDirT
PSP-NPPL-GFOA-CFOA-MILP

JoDirT plays in the PSP
JoDirT owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
none of my firearms are illegal. The assault weapons ban sunsetted a while ago. I have a folding stock AK with 30 round mags.. and high cap mags for the pistol - all legal now thanks to lawmakers finally getting some sense. It's not my fault if you live in the Nazi nation state known as "california" where the only one who has the guns is da terminator.

fairy tale huh? I guess that must be a paintball gun on my coffee table then...
i got a way better selection.

Last edited by JoDirT : 01-12-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:11 PM #1136
Spike8890 (Banned)
Not A Forum Captain

Where I live, we just got a change to our curfew law. Now, 17 year olds aren't allowed to be out past 11 P.M. It used to be that 17 year olds didn't have a curfew and anyone younger had until Midnight. I'm 17. I personally think it's complete bull**** that I had a curfew, earned the right not to have one, then got it reinstated.

Now for the question:

If a cop were to pull me over for being out past curfew, especially when it's such a new law, would they actually do something or just try to scare me?
Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 PM #1137
proto baller 69

Quote:
none of my firearms are illegal. The assault weapons ban sunsetted a while ago. I have a folding stock AK with 30 round mags.. and high cap mags for the pistol - all legal now thanks to lawmakers finally getting some sense. It's not my fault if you live in the Nazi nation state known as "california" where the only one who has the guns is da terminator.

fairy tale huh? I guess that must be a paintball gun on my coffee table then...
i completely take back my statement : ( my bad i was a little unaware of the new law wasn't to up to date on it and i love your glock. i was just thinking some kid bragging :-p
Old 01-12-2008, 08:16 PM #1138
Legumeofterror (Banned)
Chris The Almighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by proto baller 69 View Post
lmao you bragging about owning an illegal firearm, that in reality is fairy tale theage
you being 25 as to your profile, the federal law was passed in 1994 banning all assault rifles, so you were 12 at the time ..
lol.

even during the "ban" you could buy an AK-47 variant. that was just feel good legislation that caused irritation to legal gun owners and didnt stop a single criminal from buying such "assault weapons."
Old 01-13-2008, 02:05 PM #1139
smartparts786
wilsonnnnn

smartparts786 is an NCPA player
smartparts786 plays in the APPA D4 division
two things:

1. my dad sometimes does work for the FBI with appraisals for stolen jewelry. becuase of this, he got one of those black line/blue line/ black line stickers for his car. he told me its purpose, but i feel like you can just buy those. do they still get taken into effect when he crosses with a cop (like if he were to get pulled over)?

2. also, a friend told me that the GA curfew law was changed to 17 1/2..over that age and you can be out when you want. is this true?

KENNESAW STATE PAINTBALL
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM #1140
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazlow264 View Post
alright at a high risk traffic stop what would you do in this situation?

You pull them over everything is going "normal" Something goes wrong that either spooks you or you see a gun/knife. Doesnt matter, so it goes to a high risk. Now you couldnt catch whether or not there were any passengers in the car. You see a passenger open a door a run. he doesnt stop when you tell him to stop. Would YOU chase him or clear car and go after him then/get backup to go after him?
this is more for training im doing and a national competition. High risk stop scenario's seem pretty important. Im thinking its going to be clear then chase for safety cause there might be someone else in there, but what if he is running to like a school?

and a second question. Lets say im riding my quad on the street. Cop turns sirens on, i take off at a high speed. Would he chase or not because chasing me will endanger cop, me, and general public? If he does chase what would he do if i just go into the woods and hide? My town has police quads but there not going to rapid deploy and come after me...'

thanks
edit: oh and what do you think about officers taking advantage of being "allowed" to speed. it was quite amuzing seeing a charger and a crown vic go at it down the highway.
Sorry for the delay, I was moving and didn't have internet for a few days...I have my fix now, so I'll get to everyone's questions lol.

1. If I have backup, I'll let him chase the other guy while I begin a felony traffic stop on the rest of the occupants. If I'm alone, I'm letting him go and keeping the occupants at gunpoint until backup arrives.

I worked with a guy who had that scenario, chased the guy, and got shot in the vest (luckily) and shot the guy in the head. The guy who didn't run, just drove off.

2. It all depends on the department. Some departments have a no chase policy, others have a restricted chase policy (only allowed to chase for certain things), and others have a chase anything policy (even minor equipment violations).

3. I take advantage of being allowed to speed...but not too much. I generally travel 10-15mph over the speed limit on and off duty. I do know guys that will travel 20-30mph over the speed limit, just because they can. If I'm going to a call, I'm more likely to speed than while on patrol.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:33 PM #1141
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgpskaterpunk View Post
I've always wondered...

If i got pulled over for a routine traffic stop, cop asked if i have any weapons and i say yeah, i have a work knife, would i get **** for it if i was 16 ?
Probably not.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 PM #1142
apunkjunkie

Quote:
http://www.pioneerlocal.com/wilmette...008-s1.article

So I knew this kid and he pissed me off... He had a handicapped parking permit that wasn't legit on his daddy's $60k BMW. I am the "anonymous informant" in the article. I know you're not a prosecutor, but I was wondering if you think the felony charges will stick, and if this guy will actually do any jail time. It seems like they may be making an example of this guy...
If his daddy has money, probably not. He'll get first offenders status, some probation, community service, and a fine. He won't serve any time over that.

But good job. People who park in handicap spaces that don't need to piss me off...even if they do have a permit. My old college had horrendous parking and a lot of kids used their grandparents handicap parking passes to get a close spot. I always made loud comments whenever I saw someone getting out of their vehicle and sprint to class.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:37 PM #1143
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticReign Pbt View Post
Ok so I just got shafted and I'm curious on something. I was out on the highway today and a state cop ran my plate, pulled me over and ticketed me for an inspection violation. See the car was registered under my father's name up until august until it was re-registered under my name. Since I had already payed for and inspected it several months before I thought nothing of it. I understand now that you are required to reinspect for every new registration.

Ignorance is no excuse and I accept that, but my question is did he really have to write me a ticket? I know speeding tickets are left up to the officer but since he clearly discovered the inspection issue by running my plate is he required to write one because it's in the computer? Or was he just being a dick to another teenage kid in a nice car? I just feel an actual ticket was unnessecary and a warning would have been more logical. But I'm trying to understand both sides here.
No, he probably didn't have to write you a ticket. But do you know how many excuses I've heard for not paying the registration? Hundreds...so I almost always give tickets for it. Just go to court and explain yourself and you might get the price reduced.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 PM #1144
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike8890 View Post
Where I live, we just got a change to our curfew law. Now, 17 year olds aren't allowed to be out past 11 P.M. It used to be that 17 year olds didn't have a curfew and anyone younger had until Midnight. I'm 17. I personally think it's complete bull**** that I had a curfew, earned the right not to have one, then got it reinstated.

Now for the question:

If a cop were to pull me over for being out past curfew, especially when it's such a new law, would they actually do something or just try to scare me?
Well you have no "right" to not have a curfew being 17....still a child. **** happens, you'll get over it.

As for your question, it all depends on how its enforced. If he has to complete 4 pages of paperwork (like my jurisdiction) for a curfew violation...he probably won't do anything. However, if he can charge you on a ticket...be prepared to get one.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:42 PM #1145
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartparts786 View Post
two things:

1. my dad sometimes does work for the FBI with appraisals for stolen jewelry. becuase of this, he got one of those black line/blue line/ black line stickers for his car. he told me its purpose, but i feel like you can just buy those. do they still get taken into effect when he crosses with a cop (like if he were to get pulled over)?

2. also, a friend told me that the GA curfew law was changed to 17 1/2..over that age and you can be out when you want. is this true?
1. The guy that shot at me a few years ago had a blue line sticker...it doesn't do anything most of the time.

2. Nope, not that I've heard. Its still 18. No one would make a law where you'd have to sit there and add up how old someone is....oh, except the stupid class D driving laws (1st 6 months no one else in the car, etc.)
Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM #1146
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable

has been a member for 10 years
I see. I don't really have an issue with paying the ticket. My problem lies with the fact that I'm going to take a hit on my insurance due to an innocent mistake. Do you think it's worth the effort to fight? I just don't want my insurance to jump for several years for something as trivial as that.

I understand that the inspection laws are in place for a reason but I think I should be cut a little slack considering the car has been in my possession for much longer than it's relatively recent registration. I still plan on getting it reinspected immediately though. So basically I'm asking that if I have a court date, give my story, and inform them that I have since gotten it reinspected, is there a chance they'll at least not add the points?

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 PM #1147
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticReign Pbt View Post
I see. I don't really have an issue with paying the ticket. My problem lies with the fact that I'm going to take a hit on my insurance due to an innocent mistake. Do you think it's worth the effort to fight? I just don't want my insurance to jump for several years for something as trivial as that.

I understand that the inspection laws are in place for a reason but I think I should be cut a little slack considering the car has been in my possession for much longer than it's relatively recent registration. I still plan on getting it reinspected immediately though. So basically I'm asking that if I have a court date, give my story, and inform them that I have since gotten it reinspected, is there a chance they'll at least not add the points?
In GA, I know the registration is not a moving violation and does not get reported to your insurance...check with the courts to see if its considered a moving violation.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:20 PM #1148
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable

Damn, well you're lucky there then. I'm pretty sure its a moving violation here. Really sucks.

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
Old 01-13-2008, 09:28 PM #1149
phiend
IV:XX

I have two questions. The first may have been asked already, and I apologize if it has, but its easy to miss something in an almost 60 page long thread.

How do you personally feel about marijuana use?
Do you feel the amount of money spent annually is worth it, considering there really hasn't been much impact on its availability? Does there ever reach a point where over time, the total amount spent without effecting its availability ceases to make sense? I'm not sure of the exact total spent to eradicate marijuana since it was first criminalized but I would assume it easily reaches into billions if not trillions of dollars. Is this amount truly acceptable just to prevent a consenting adult from indulging in the privacy of their own home?

My next question is related to a police forum I've been reading a bit. I am not accusing you personally of this attitude, it just seems common among police.
When a citizen is *ACCUSED* of a crime, I see many police already assuming guilt. When a police officer is accused of a crime, its much more common to see replies similar to "I wasn't there so I can't say what happened" and "thats for a court to decide".
Why does this double standard apply, and do they understand that to the general public this looks completely shady?
Old 01-13-2008, 09:40 PM #1150
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiend View Post
I have two questions. The first may have been asked already, and I apologize if it has, but its easy to miss something in an almost 60 page long thread.

How do you personally feel about marijuana use?
Do you feel the amount of money spent annually is worth it, considering there really hasn't been much impact on its availability? Does there ever reach a point where over time, the total amount spent without effecting its availability ceases to make sense? I'm not sure of the exact total spent to eradicate marijuana since it was first criminalized but I would assume it easily reaches into billions if not trillions of dollars. Is this amount truly acceptable just to prevent a consenting adult from indulging in the privacy of their own home?

My next question is related to a police forum I've been reading a bit. I am not accusing you personally of this attitude, it just seems common among police.
When a citizen is *ACCUSED* of a crime, I see many police already assuming guilt. When a police officer is accused of a crime, its much more common to see replies similar to "I wasn't there so I can't say what happened" and "thats for a court to decide".
Why does this double standard apply, and do they understand that to the general public this looks completely shady?
1. If you smoke weed in the privacy of your own home, chances are you'll never get caught and you won't have to worry about anything. A majority of people who get caught are the stupid ones who smoke it outside or smoke it while driving.

2. When we make charges against someone, we need probable cause. Basically, we need to to be sure that the person charged probably committed the crime. 99% of the time, we're absolutely sure that the person committed the crime, so that's why we assume everyone is guilty. Plus, its a good way to gauge someone's reaction. A guilty person accused of being guilty usually acts differently than an innocent person who's accused of being guilty.

And really, its for the courts to decide if someone's guilty or not. We are but the beginning of the criminal justice system.

But for individual cases, I can't answer that because I wasn't there.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:57 PM #1151
phiend

Where its smoked isn't the question. I completely agree if its used at home, with some amount of care to avoid detection, the chances of being caught are extremely slim...unless your ex is mad at you or something...
The problem with that answer is of course how do you get it into your home? I don't expect you to answer this for obvious reasons, but I hope you can see my point concerning your lack of an answer.
Saying you risk less smoking it at home then you do outside doesn't make it magically appear in your home.
My question is focused on the economics of a continued effort to eradicate it, that as far I can see has little to no effort on the amount on the street.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 PM #1152
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Where its smoked isn't the question. I completely agree if its used at home, with some amount of care to avoid detection, the chances of being caught are extremely slim...unless your ex is mad at you or something...
The problem with that answer is of course how do you get it into your home? I don't expect you to answer this for obvious reasons, but I hope you can see my point concerning your lack of an answer.
Saying you risk less smoking it at home then you do outside doesn't make it magically appear in your home.
My question is focused on the economics of a continued effort to eradicate it, that as far I can see has little to no effort on the amount on the street.
From the local law enforcement level, we make money from it through drug, money, and property seizures. Not to mention, serious criminals also smoke weed and if we can't get them for serious crimes, locking them up for weed is a good way to keep them off the street.

Now as for transporting weed, don't give us a reason to stop you and you'll not have a problem.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 PM #1153
phiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
From the local law enforcement level, we make money from it through drug, money, and property seizures. Not to mention, serious criminals also smoke weed and if we can't get them for serious crimes, locking them up for weed is a good way to keep them off the street.

Now as for transporting weed, don't give us a reason to stop you and you'll not have a problem.
I can understand making money from money and property seizures, but how does local LE make money from drug seizures? A little dealing on the side?

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with LEOs getting money from drug seizures, but I'm guessing its some sort of bonus funding?

If you can't arrest serious criminals for serious crimes, either they are actually innocent, or they need to be investigated further.

Also, in response to not giving reason to be stopped to avoid being stopped...
About 3-4 months ago I was actually pulled over for no reason of my own.
I was on my way to work, doing the speed limit when an officer passed me in going the other direction. He immediately turned around and began to follow me. I could see in my mirror he was on his radio, I assume calling my plates in.
A few minutes later, he pulls me over. He approaches my car, and informs me he made a mistake calling my plate number in, and that I was free to go. He never asked to see ID, insurance, registration. The whole contact was him telling me he made a mistake and I could go. Of course theres no harm in this and away I went. But it illustrates how nothing could turn into something.

Does the money made from seizures cover 100% or more of the total cost America spends fighting the war drugs? Or do taxes also contribute to that?
I'm not really interested in being sidetracked and double talked, I'm looking for a clear answer, and if you are not willing to give me that, I'll stop asking. So for the 3rd and final time, do you really believe the trillions that have been spent fighting marijuana have been effectively used, when marijuana is very available still?
I'm not saying I support it being legal, just asking your opinion as someone who deals with it. IMO, whether its legal or not, I don't feel the current strategy is cost effective. Every year America increases the amount spent, but I don't notice any shortage of marijuana.

Last edited by phiend : 01-13-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:51 AM #1154
apunkjunkie

Quote:
I can understand making money from money and property seizures, but how does local LE make money from drug seizures? A little dealing on the side?

Seriously though, I'm not familiar with LEOs getting money from drug seizures, but I'm guessing its some sort of bonus funding?

If you can't arrest serious criminals for serious crimes, either they are actually innocent, or they need to be investigated further.

Also, in response to not giving reason to be stopped to avoid being stopped...
About 3-4 months ago I was actually pulled over for no reason of my own.
I was on my way to work, doing the speed limit when an officer passed me in going the other direction. He immediately turned around and began to follow me. I could see in my mirror he was on his radio, I assume calling my plates in.
A few minutes later, he pulls me over. He approaches my car, and informs me he made a mistake calling my plate number in, and that I was free to go. He never asked to see ID, insurance, registration. The whole contact was him telling me he made a mistake and I could go. Of course theres no harm in this and away I went. But it illustrates how nothing could turn into something.

Does the money made from seizures cover 100% or more of the total cost America spends fighting the war drugs? Or do taxes also contribute to that?
I'm not really interested in being sidetracked and double talked, I'm looking for a clear answer, and if you are not willing to give me that, I'll stop asking. So for the 3rd and final time, do you really believe the trillions that have been spent fighting marijuana have been effectively used, when marijuana is very available still?
I'm not saying I support it being legal, just asking your opinion as someone who deals with it. IMO, whether its legal or not, I don't feel the current strategy is cost effective. Every year America increases the amount spent, but I don't notice any shortage of marijuana.
When we seize drugs we use them in reverse buys and, in turn, we use those reverse buys as evidence to seize property and money. I don't think its feesable to reuse the same weed for 20 years .

As for you being stopped for "no reason," you were stopped for a reason and when the officer realized it was a mistake, he let you go. Even if you were sitting there toking on a Cheech and Chong blunt, he couldn't do anything but take your weed to be destroyed. Any officer, even rookie officers, know that if you don't have a valid reason to pull someone over, anything you get after that will be thrown out in court. If you did arrest someone when you made a mistake, you ruin all of your future cases for the rest of your career.

Actually, to answer your question to the best I can, if we used trillions combating just marijuana, then no its not worth it. Back in the 60's and 70's, a majority of the money was used to combat marijuana. However, in more recent years, the "war on drugs" is being used to combat cocaine and methamphetamine (most of which is coming across the borders of Mexico and Canada)....both of which are a wee bit more dangerous than weed.

If we didn't spend money to attempt to stop those two drugs, then we'd be in a lot worse shape we're in now.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 AM #1155
phiend

Thank you for answering. I wasn't trying to be difficult just looking for your opinion. You seemed to maybe be dancing around the question which is a bit frustrating.

Also while I will now say I do support marijuana being completely legal to adults (which I'm sure was obvious before), I do agree that most if not all other drugs should be illegal. I've seen cocaine, crack, and meth AND ALCOHOL totally destroy people who had a lot of potential they will never live up to because of their use. Its sad, but I guess they are responsible for the choices they make.

You guys have a tough job, one I would never consider, and I have respect for that.
Closed Thread