PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM #295
Fallout55
<(':')> Boo!!1

I just want to give you mad props for dealing with a neighbor hood like that.
We have many like that here in MI, in and around DET and also scattered through the more depressed areas that used to be nice suburbs.

One they call little Saigon. The lights always get shot out and ambulances will not enter alone. Also the police patrol the area rarely and only in pairs. It's pretty od.

Also are you happy working in the gang unit? Can you give us a picture of what your day to day is like? This has always interested me.

Last edited by Fallout55 : 10-17-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM #296
Fallout55

Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
Wasn't Miami the setting of Fast & Furious 2? Oh well. We mostly have wanna ricers running around who think since they put a new muffler (the louder the better) on their 95' Honda and a few APC stickers on the rear window, that they suddenly have a race car.
Don't forget the park bench racing fin, with out that they would be landing on the moon.

I was in a race once with a kid who had a car like this and I bet him iwth my 96, grandmarquis, that used to be my grandfathers. Haha.

How do you like your crown vics? Are they getting dated, will you guys get newer cars soon. sorry if this as asked already.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM #297
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by read5656 View Post
if your trying to pull me over, how do I signal to you that I will pull over just as soon as we reach a safe area? That way, the cop won't get pissed for not pulling over.
Just turn on your turn signal to acknowledge that you are being pulled over. Some cops still throw a fit and want you to stop immediately, but just pull over to a safe spot and pull off the side of the roadway as far to the right as you can. DO NOT STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LANE.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM #298
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout55 View Post
Also are you happy working in the gang unit? Can you give us a picture of what your day to day is like? This has always interested me.
Well I typically stay on the computer for 1-2 hours when I get in, then if I have investigations, I try to follow up on those. Depending on when I work, I spend a few hours in the schools (most gang members go to school during the day) and if I get bored or don't have anything to do, I hit the streets and try to make arrests.

My days aren't "normal" or "typical" in my unit because we have so many different things going on. We may go do a presentation for teachers or for the rotary club. We may be assigned to a special detail where we need to be in a certain area for a specific time. We also get tasked with being perimeter on SWAT callouts if we're working.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM #299
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout55 View Post

How do you like your crown vics? Are they getting dated, will you guys get newer cars soon. sorry if this as asked already.
I like the crown vics. They're fast enough, have good pickup, and are fairly roomy. I'm interested in driving a charger to see how it handles (its supposed to be near impossible to spin them out). I'm not really a fan of the Impalas...they're just a bit too small.

A crow vic will still get over 100mph quickly if you need it. I think the fastest I've gone was 110-115 (on the interstate).
Old 10-17-2007, 04:11 PM #300
Fallout55

Mine cuts out at 109.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:19 PM #301
somainevent
MIND

Hey guys, Im late to this thread so please dont hold it against me for not looking through all of the pages I guess this is directed more toward Tremor, but junkie can answer if he knows.. What does it take to become a K9 officer? I am currently taking a course in dog training, I want to work with dogs in my life, and just recently started thinking about becoming a K9 officer. I guess general "what does it take to become a police officer" would help as well haha.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:30 PM #302
somainevent
MIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by read5656 View Post
if your trying to pull me over, how do I signal to you that I will pull over just as soon as we reach a safe area? That way, the cop won't get pissed for not pulling over.
Dont get pulled over
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM #303
smrtprts
My nipples they hurt!

smrtprts is playing at Living Legends III
smrtprts is for the Gunfight
smrtprts is reppin' sidebar 4 life
smrtprts supports Pev's Paintball
smrtprts has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Is that whole "ticket quote" bull****? I always hear people complaining about cops writing them "stupid" tickets and they say the cop needed to make quote but I am pretty sure quote is bs
Old 10-17-2007, 06:07 PM #304
LegacyWins

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtprts View Post
Is that whole "ticket quote" bull****? I always hear people complaining about cops writing them "stupid" tickets and they say the cop needed to make quote but I am pretty sure quote is bs
Its quota, not quote

And a few pages back i think i remember one of the guys saying they need $$ and tickets are revenue.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:10 PM #305
smrtprts
My nipples they hurt!

smrtprts is playing at Living Legends III
smrtprts is for the Gunfight
smrtprts is reppin' sidebar 4 life
smrtprts supports Pev's Paintball
smrtprts has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyWins View Post
Its quota, not quote

And a few pages back i think i remember one of the guys saying they need $$ and tickets are revenue.
Hey you knew what I was talkin about

Yeah that makes a lot of sense, does that mean cops aree more compelled to write tickets then?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:15 PM #306
Nalayah

My father was a cop, and there is no set quota. But if you didn't have around 60 or so tickets or more (in Adelaide, Australia, this was), you started to get looked at, and the rungs on your employment ladder got slippery. However, it depends on what tickets get what amount of money. Most are at certain times of the month depending on the cop. In general though, watch out during the last week or so of the month.

Or just don't speed.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM #307
EY3
one love

Quote:
a quota is like a cop has to write a certain amount of tickets a day or week.
im pretty sure some departments in big cities have them.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM #308
hsilman
Disgustipated

Is it illegal to be high, tripping, etc. in public? like basically, is it illegal to be on some kind of drug, can you get arrested just for that? Or do you get arrested for something like disorderly conduct if you're belligerent?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:22 PM #309
bluelite
The Bronze

If you are a danger to yourself or others then in TX you can be arrested for public intoxication, regardless of the intoxicant. We don't have quotas, many cops I work with go months without writing a ticket.

Apunk, the chargers are a blast to drive but only for a little while. If someone told me to get in a pursuit, I'd want the charger. For an all shift office I prefer the crown vic. Kinda sucks because our unit is getting 08 chargers in december and I am going to have to mod the crud out of mine to make it shift-worthy. Hey, what type of software do ya'll use for your in-car computers? We are using some Tiburon product that is absolutely horrible.

Last edited by bluelite : 10-17-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:53 PM #310
EY3
one love

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelite View Post
We don't have quotas, many cops I work with go months without writing a ticket.
idk i have to check it out in my area. im doing a ride along in a few months ill ask the cop. i might become a police officer if i dont have to write tickets. i want to protect people not tell them what to do. i agree if their doing 100 on a street or selling crack or something like that, in that case you have to protect the people theyre putting in danger.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:03 PM #311
Nalayah

It really does depend on the area. A nearby county sheriff's office got in deep trouble for a quota recently. Started making people question their local departments.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 PM #312
Tremor HSP

Tremor HSP is a Supporting Member
Sorry I haven't been around lately...been quite busy with work. I'll be around most of the night so if you have any questions for me, tonights the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somainevent View Post
Hey guys, Im late to this thread so please dont hold it against me for not looking through all of the pages I guess this is directed more toward Tremor, but junkie can answer if he knows.. What does it take to become a K9 officer? I am currently taking a course in dog training, I want to work with dogs in my life, and just recently started thinking about becoming a K9 officer. I guess general "what does it take to become a police officer" would help as well haha.
Do you want to know the general guidelines or specific training we go through or what? Qualifications?
Old 10-18-2007, 02:05 AM #313
apunkjunkie

Quote:
No quotas at my department.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 AM #314
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
Is it illegal to be high, tripping, etc. in public? like basically, is it illegal to be on some kind of drug, can you get arrested just for that? Or do you get arrested for something like disorderly conduct if you're belligerent?
Being under the influence of a drug (other than alcohol) in public is not illegal. If they were under the influence of a drug and became disorderly, then yes I would arrest them for DC.

We do have a separate charge for "Public Drunk" which has to meet two requirements: under the influence of alcohol and being loud and boisterous.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 AM #315
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelite View Post
Apunk, the chargers are a blast to drive but only for a little while. If someone told me to get in a pursuit, I'd want the charger. For an all shift office I prefer the crown vic. Kinda sucks because our unit is getting 08 chargers in december and I am going to have to mod the crud out of mine to make it shift-worthy. Hey, what type of software do ya'll use for your in-car computers? We are using some Tiburon product that is absolutely horrible.
I'm assuming you mean the software we use to receive calls....Motorola whatever version is new. Its really nice since you can run everything on NCIC without going through the radio. However, the software itself cost over $250,000 and maintenance is expensive too.