Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-02-2007, 12:12 AM #1
Soledus

credit card

alright so im thinking about applying for my very first credit card, to well build up my credit score. i am 19 and still in college, anyone have a good recommendation as to what i should choose?
Soledus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 AM #2
TNelson
Hippity Hop

I am 19, same situation. I got Capitalone. they have nice service. and a good beginners card. 300$ limit.
TNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:46 AM #3
Beers78n9
Why settle for 72 Virgins

has been a member for 10 years
just make sure to keep your balance under 50% of the limit and make your payment on time every month. Even if it means you have to eat Ramen for every meal or not go partying.

"Originally posted by bizkitfan601: There is no reason to have a need. The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to own those weapons without a need or a cause. This is America - the land of freedom. And we have cool **** to prove it.

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - and cheat if necessary."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."
Beers78n9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 AM #4
TNelson
Hippity Hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beers78n9 View Post
just make sure to keep your balance under 50% of the limit and make your payment on time every month. Even if it means you have to eat Ramen for every meal or not go partying.
MCLOVIN?! NICE!
TNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:06 AM #5
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
There are a magnitude of good cards out there these days.

My only advice is to use your first card for one item that you have to puchase anyway and pay it off.

Gasoline is a good example of this. A card I have gives 4% back on gasoline purchased at the pump and has no annual fee. All of my saveings comes back to me because I would have needed to purchase that gas anyway.

People get into trouble because they just say "oh I'll pay it off later." That can cause some problems in the long run.

Gas, food, rent, utilities, tuition, books, etc. Pick one and only use the card for that.

Last edited by SoMich_Tom : 10-02-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
SoMich_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:42 PM #6
Soledus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
There are a magnitude of good cards out there these days.

My only advice is to use your first card for one item that you have to puchase anyway and pay it off.

Gasoline is a good example of this. A card I have gives 4% back on gasoline purchased at the pump and has no annual fee. All of my saves comes back to me because I would have needed to purchase that gas anyway.

People get into trouble because they just say "oh I'll pay it off later." That can cause some problems in the long run.

Gas, food, rent, utilities, tuition, books, etc. Pick one and only use the card for that.
is that card a gas station specific card? or can you use it for other things as well?
Soledus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 02:52 PM #7
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
It can be used for anything, it's from my bank. It gives cash back on everything you buy but the most on gas.

There are a ton of rebate cards. There are a lot of websites that do comparisons of them as well.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM #8
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

Just be careful with it. You can get deep in debt quicker than you think.
t_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM #9
Chattanooga baller
.....Very Nice.....

try getting one through a local credit union, they usually have very low rates and great service..

example.. Maxwell Federal Credit Union
http://www.mymax.net/products/creditcards/index.html

great bank!
Chattanooga baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:48 PM #10
Carnagge

I have a card thats fairly new they auto bumped my limit up from 1k to 1500 without telling me then I moved it up to 2k when I went on vacation. Maxed it out in a month and paid it out. Doing the same thing this month again for the most part.

I'm not sure if paying off a small amount on the card is good or maxing it out and paying it off on time is better. Eitherway I figure Im' building good credit.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 PM #11
Chrisfromnj
i dont like pears

Chrisfromnj helped look for balloons
i got some first financial bank thing for students, its pretty good, started with $250 credit after a few payments its up to 900, i make sure to use it once a month whether its for gas or for 20 bucks worth of "groceries" only time its not being paid off in full is this month (books are on it) but definitely not only be careful, but be SMART. i have a friend who just dropped over 2k on a macbook pro "because he needs it for broadcasting class" anyways he just put it on his credit card (Which has a 10k limit) and the son of a ***** doesnt even have a job!
Chrisfromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:20 AM #12
Beers78n9
Why settle for 72 Virgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnagge View Post
I have a card thats fairly new they auto bumped my limit up from 1k to 1500 without telling me then I moved it up to 2k when I went on vacation. Maxed it out in a month and paid it out. Doing the same thing this month again for the most part.

I'm not sure if paying off a small amount on the card is good or maxing it out and paying it off on time is better. Eitherway I figure Im' building good credit.
Never let your balance go over 50% of your limit. It makes you look like you're living beyond your means.

"Originally posted by bizkitfan601: There is no reason to have a need. The 2nd Amendment gives us the right to own those weapons without a need or a cause. This is America - the land of freedom. And we have cool **** to prove it.

"The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - and cheat if necessary."

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it's going to be empty."
Beers78n9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:45 AM #13
feightj

Ok seriously here's one for you to get especially if you drive a lot-- go to Discover and there is one that has a 5% return on gas and what you can do is apply that to your bill (I save like 20 bucks a month on gas because of this card) they have tons of inscentives, it has a good grace period no annual fee... all the normal stuff.

I have taken a couple of personal finance classes and really here's what credit cards come down to,

If it has a grace period and no annual fee... It's perfect now just pick what rewards you want your money to go for

Under a couple VERY IMPORTANT RULES

1. Pay your balance in full every month (unless you have 0% interest then pay at least half)
2. Don't charge more money than you have. I think the last stats out were soemthing like 30% of america is in Credit card debt because they are morons about it

3. ALWAYS PAY ON TIME They will not give you a break no matter who you are

Don't worry about APR ever BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN A 0% APR YOU SHOULD BE PAYING IT IN FULL EVERY MONTH

Basically don't be stupid and make sure you set money aside every month to pay your bill-- also don't hope one some sale on PB nation to go through a week before your bill is due to pay your bill (like I said don't be dumb about stuff and you will be fine)
feightj is offline   Reply With Quote