PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM #1
angelguy222

has been a member for 10 years
Chrome stripping

I've got a cocker frame that is currently chrome. I'd like it to be black, but first i need to get rid of the chrome plating. Anyone have a good lead on where to go or who to send it to? Anodizing shops want to charge sooo much to remove it, i'm thinking i could save a lot of money if i sent it to a proper chrome shop.

thoughts? recommendations?
angelguy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2014, 12:40 PM #2
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
Stepchild plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelguy222 View Post
I've got a cocker frame that is currently chrome. I'd like it to be black, but first i need to get rid of the chrome plating. Anyone have a good lead on where to go or who to send it to? Anodizing shops want to charge sooo much to remove it, i'm thinking i could save a lot of money if i sent it to a proper chrome shop.

thoughts? recommendations?
The problem you are going to run into is Chrome is a giant PITA to strip properly without damaging the Al underneath. A chrome shop may charge less to do it but they will also not be as careful when doing it. The chrome plating process put a pretty thick layer on the outside of the part so they are not as worried about the aluminum finish, small pits and other imperfections will just get covered back up by a new chrome layer.

Nothing makes anodizing look worse and imperfections in the metal. Just make sure whoever does it, knows you are wanting to anodize it after it is stripped and not re chromed.
Dirt Products
www.blitzpaintball.net www.planeteclipse.com www.hustlepaintball.com

RIP Rusty Fox. You were my brother and my friend. You will never be forgotten http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZs_Nj65M8
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:50 PM #3
angelguy222

has been a member for 10 years
Thanks for the info. Sounds like i should just cut my losses and buy a different frame. Nice black slide frames are just so hard to find right now. Oh well, the search continues.
angelguy222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM #4
xsvdynastypballa

For the most part the pitting that will arise is already there and can't be helped. Mostly where the chrome has lifted or rather the aluminum has corroded.

What I have found time and time again is that the chrome shops do not do a good job. They do not clean the part and there for it doesn't strip evenly or completely. I end up having to come behind them and finish the job. This isn't so bad since it's not as tasking on my power supply (less plating to strip), but it is a bit frustrating since I was supposed to be getting a stripped part.

You could probably get away with it if you cleaned the part yourself. I'm talking spotless inside and out. Zero gunk or grease or glue ect. (harsh solvents I've found work best)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/dynastypball...&_trksid=p3686
ADDING DIFFERENT SUPPLIES AS I CAN

NEED SOMETHING ANODIZED? CHECK ME OUT ON FACEBOOK!

http://www.facebook.com/CausticCustoms
xsvdynastypballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 PM #5
PBALIEN
"Slug Finger"

I use JR custom plating. They are super cheap and do a great job. They do paintball stuff and firearms as well as the common auto parts. They will also polish and buff if you ask.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:26 PM #6
Arnolds_Metal_Finish

Hello,

My company can provide any sort of metal finishing you would need for this job including the proper stripping of the chrome. We here at Arnold's Metal Finishing hold a large number of accounts with big names in the industry. We do work for Luxe, Bob Long, Eclipse, and recently did some work for Boston Paintball. We also offer a wide variety of metal finishing and hydrographic services to give your personal products or product lines a more competitive edge. Please feel free to send a business or service inquiry to my contact information below.

I will attach my contact information below, hope to hear from you soon.

Andrew Trieu
Director, Business Development
Arnold's Metal Finishing
805 Aldo Avenue, Suite 104, Santa Clara CA 95054
P:408-588-0079 ext 114
Email: Andrew@Arnoldmetalfinishing.com
www.arnoldmetalfinishing.com (New site is currently under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/Arnoldsmetalfinishing (For photo samples)
Arnolds_Metal_Finish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 AM #7
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

People charge extra because if they don't know what they are doing they do it manually (which is a lot of work), and if they do, it involves an additional electrochemical process, which takes time to setup, and expertise to manage.

How much is a lot?