Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM #1
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

ssgaR is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Sports Photography Thread

So basically I think this should be the collective thread for Sports Photography for sharing tips and information and also posting our pictures since sports photos often don't belong in the WDYS thread. If you all disagree with that, then this thread will simply be for the following:

Tomorrow I'm gunna shoot my first sporting event, its a soccer game and I'm doing it as a volunteer so I don't even have to show them what I took if I don't want to. As this is my first time, and as many of you have done this before, I'm mainly here looking for tips on where to stand during the game and where to avoid, keeping in mind I'm capped at 200mm.

"Originally posted by paintchk2: You sir are an ***."
ssgaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 04:38 PM #2
Ghs421

Sports is my main area of photography so I can probably be of some help for most questions. Because of the field size, soccer is a pain to shoot at 200mm, even if your using a crop body (going to assume your using a nikon or canon 1.5/1.6 x body of sorts). In addition, depending on the level of play, lighting can be a problem. Hopefully your using at least using a 70-200 f2.8, otherwise correctly exposed images with little blur might be an issue. If I were you, I would probably shoot behind the net(or off to the side rather) of the team your there for. A good image with a player coming towards the goal and a clean background is what most people like to see anyway. As you will quickly learn, the goal area is where most of the good action happens in field sports. As for other little tips, try to get the ball in the shot and look for any action occuring off the field or during a TO or something. A picture of players celebrating after a big goal never fails to work. And ALWAYS bump your ISO as high as needed to get at least a 1/250 ss. A grainy photo can be cleaned up, and always beats a blurry one.
Ghs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 PM #3
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

Good tips, thanks. I suppose I'll just have to keep my other eye open as not to get smacked in the face by a ball.

I'm shooting a d200 with a 70-200 2.8. I've worked out a custom setting on my camera to keep the shutter at or above 1/250th and the ISO at or below 1600.

I might head to the store tonight to get an extra battery, more memory and a UV filter.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 PM #4
matrixpballer

Being capped at 200mm will make it so hard that I wouldnt even really bother. By no means is it impossible, but you will be frustrated to hell when you only see them playing on the opposite side of the field. Best to pick a spot between the mid field and the goal and shoot them coming down the line, then going to the corners and doing the same, and just moving your way towards the goal like Ghs said.

When I shoot soccer I am out there with a 400mm 2.8 on a 1.3x cropped body and I usually stick a 1.4x on there too. I only use the 200mm for the really close stuff. Good luck.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:38 PM #5
Empirefreak
Austin

I did soccer for the first time last week with a 200mm. I didn't find it fun at all and it seemed harder to shoot than lacrosse. I think it's because one player barely every has the ball for a decent length in time, and it's so hard to follow the ball. Ball awareness will probably be the most key thing. Good luck
Empirefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 PM #6
oldskoolpbn
Legen...dary!

one of my first skate shots..

one of my more recent shots

one of my first snow shots

one of my recent shots
Old 09-28-2007, 08:26 PM #7
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Sports photography is pretty tough, especially if you don't know the sport. I found myself photographing football recently, and I have a really hard time even finding the ball some of the times. In addition, AF speeds, while they are fast on my camera+lens, aren't quite as fast as a running quarterback.

When it comes to sports, there is one major thing that everybody can do to get a better picture - sacrifice added grain for reduction of motion blur. You can fix grain, but you can (very, very, VERY) rarely correct motion blur. There are numerous photoshop plugins to reduce noise.

While almost every sport (with the exception of bowling and golf, I believe) allows you to use a flash - I would recommend trying to take your photos without them. There are a couple reasons for this:

1) If you are shooting HS sports, parents can get very angry at you for using a flash - and will blame their child's horrible play on the fact that YOU distracted them (yes you, and you alone)
2) Recharge rates for flashes are not very high, for sports, I've found that it's best to not be limited by a recharging flash. In addition, the harsh non-diffused lighting is distracting, and casts odd shadows on subjects in some cases.
3) It is more likely than not that your flash will not even reach the player enough to light them well enough to get a good shot.

Getting a great sports shot is, to me, all about expression. You can't tell what someone's expression is if you're shooting their back with the ball in front of them. For this reason, I would suggest being in a corner of the field rather than in the center. Alternate the corners when you can, or depending on the amount of time the ball is on either side. By doing this, you can get shots of players coming TOWARD you, and thus hopefully some stellar shots of their face when they make their goal.

I hope this helps, and good luck

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.

Last edited by therealmr : 09-28-2007 at 08:29 PM.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:04 PM #8
Ghs421

For field sports, you generally use a flash as fill at about 1/16- 1/8 power. You can easily shoot a sequence on these powers. There is nothing wrongn with using a flash when needed so long as you are using it correctly. In addition, players hardly notice a flash during a game. Once you get past the youth level parents do not complain whatsoever.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:18 PM #9
matrixpballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghs421 View Post
Once you get past the youth level parents do not complain whatsoever.
Not true at all, unless you consider varsity high school youth level.

flickr

Derder
United States Navy
matrixpballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:53 PM #10
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Yeah, the parent of the kid that just dropped the game winning pass does not care that you have your flash turned all the way down and that their son wasn't even looking in your direction. Their son just cost the team the game so it MUST be your fault. They won't let something as trivial as facts get in the way of making you the scape goat.

I NEVER use a flash for sports for that very reason.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM #11
Ghs421

Maybe I've just had the benefit of living in an area where HS sports are treated closely to what college sports are like. In my experience, parents are usually competent enough to know flashes aren't distracting, or just keep out of it all together.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:00 PM #12
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Here are some of my recent favs...

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:02 PM #13
ke0dakilla
-LH- BDWC

3rd shot is very nice
ke0dakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM #14
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Took these at a football game a few weeks ago. As you can see, it's pouring down rain during the game...

Old 09-29-2007, 12:18 AM #15
Snakeplayer.
Tom Cruise.

I'll come in here if I get a chance tomorrow or Sunday, sports is a lot of fun. I'm big into Soccer and Swimming, so I can help out with some questions if you need.
Snakeplayer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 AM #16
snufferoo (Banned)
****in' Jagerbombs.

nice

I like the first football one.

I've shot golf, cross country, and volleyball so far for my high school's yearbook.

I never use a flash.

ISO at 400 for golf and XC, and 1600 for volleyball.

For the most part I use a 70-200 f2.8, but for XC today I used a 28-135 f3.5.

I'll post some of my pics later.

/attempt at contributing
snufferoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:51 AM #17
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

For soccer I post my self up at the end line where the 18 runs into it for the most part. I find that 200mm is not usually long enough but if the team you are shooting is good then it wont matter too much. If the team is not as good I shoot at about 18 yards up on the side line because you are still close enough to get shots on the goal for the most part but also allows you to get shots of people around half field. If you have any questions let me know. I have shot my fair share of soccer and many other sports for that matter. I never use flash for my stuff.
Sacintimidator06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:00 PM #18
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Those pictures are awesome Bryon
I have just been messing around at some of my high schools JV and Varsity football games, as well as some skate photography. I tried a swim meet and had a really tough time getting my stuff to turn out right.

200 never seems like enough

Focal length: 200.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv.: 1600
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: Manual

Needs a better crop-

Those are my favorites, I really need to go out and shoot more though considering I've only taken pictures at 3 football games and one skate event
and then of course paintball, but thats not a sport. I do plan on going to NPPL SD to take some pictures, I think that should be fun

Anyone else care to share some of their favorite sports shots?

Last edited by p8ntcheck45 : 09-29-2007 at 01:05 PM.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:34 PM #19
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
/contribution

(FYI, curling is a ***** and a half to shoot)

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:44 PM #20
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

I did better than I thought I would for my first time:

Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM #21
ssgaR
(yಠ,ಠ)y

The girls:

(lol silly girls)

Tips and critisms for these are greatly appreciated.