Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-28-2007, 06:06 AM #1
pballkm21
Arena Wired

pballkm21 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Vikings and Excals

Hmm, well i guess you could consider this a vs thread, but since the aka comunity is so nice, i think i should be able to post this?

Any how....im considering trading my viking for a very nice excal. Now i know excals have two noids, and are closed bolt, but not much else. Is there anything else besides that, that would make one superior to the other?
pballkm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 AM #2
Wizardry
Oldest AKA GunWhore

Wizardry is a founding member
Opinion

IMHO, the excaliburs are exceptionally accurate especially on the first shot. Also, they are smooth, extremely accurate, and quiet. I bought my first Excalibur in 2001 and it still shoots darts. Have had only one small issue with it and it was a broken "o" ring. If you haven't shot one then you don't know what you are missing. You won't go wrong if you get one.

Wiz
Wizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:17 AM #3
jester2844

i just picked up an excal and am very impressed with it. Its a lot heavier but shoots soooooo smooooth
jester2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:53 AM #4
fsrxc1

With the "robtown" valve...my Viking is smoother than an excal...ask anyone that has shot it back to back with an Excal...Yes i have heard Excals are more accurate, but that is most likely that you need to size the paint to barrel because of the closed bolt nature of the gun..Both have great qualities...I love my Vikings as i play Back/Insert and can rip tons of paint and never worry abot sped or effecency...I don't really worry about the accuracy even though the gun is very accurate...shoot them back to back and then decide...it's AKA you can't go wrong

Rampage X-Ball
Monster Paintball- I Bleed GREEN
fsrxc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 AM #5
Bux

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrxc1 View Post
With the "robtown" valve...my Viking is smoother than an excal...ask anyone that has shot it back to back with an Excal...Yes i have heard Excals are more accurate, but that is most likely that you need to size the paint to barrel because of the closed bolt nature of the gun..Both have great qualities...I love my Vikings as i play Back/Insert and can rip tons of paint and never worry abot sped or effecency...I don't really worry about the accuracy even though the gun is very accurate...shoot them back to back and then decide...it's AKA you can't go wrong

Wise words
Bux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:05 PM #6
Wizardry
Oldest AKA GunWhore

Wizardry is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrxc1 View Post
The reason Excaliburs are more accurate is because they are closed bolt it has nothing to do with the sizing of the paint to the barrel size.

Wiz
Wizardry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 PM #7
sp!n
ŻŻŻŻŻ

Close bolt guns/open bolt guns/any kind of paintball gun will all shoot the same, its all about paint to barrel match. Everyone says spools shoot flatter or cockers shoot so accurate or this gun is more accurate than this gun, its all untrue. All about the barrel. If you want to argue with me on this, pm me.

Last edited by sp!n : 09-28-2007 at 02:15 PM.
sp!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM #8
TastePAINt88
Rely on: MD, AKA

Annual Supporting Member
TastePAINt88 is a Supporting Member
Both sp!n and fsrxc1 are speaking the truth. Although, if a gun kicks alot (blow back low end markers) it will be more difficult to get a tighter shot grouping than with something with very little kick (just about every high end marker out there).

Ive shot excals before, and I my preferance is AKA, Viking or Excal. The Excal might be slightly smoother, but a tuned Viking doesn't kick a whole lot more than an Excal, just a little bit. I know that when using AKA I never have to worry about my marker, it leaves the mind free to focus on shooting people.
TastePAINt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 PM #9
cockerpunk (Banned)
Show Me the Data

i just like the class that goes with an excal rather than a vike. a vike is probably a better functional marker, but excals just ... they are nice.

this comming from a long time pump player.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:08 PM #10
jruss21

Sorry guys but I have to disagree with you. I had both a 04 robtown valved Rollout viking and a stock 04 excal and there is a difference in accuracy. I tested it out using the same paint and same barrel that was matched to the paint. I got rid of my viking because the excal shot that much better. There IS a noticeable difference. Not that the viking wasn't accurate, it's just that the excal brought the groupings in tighter. You're going to sacrifice some BPS with an excal though.
jruss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 06:09 PM #11
PaintballerFourLife
PB4LIndustries

Annual Supporting Member
PaintballerFourLife is a Supporting Member
PaintballerFourLife plays in the USPL
PaintballerFourLife plays in the PSP
PaintballerFourLife is an NCPA player
PaintballerFourLife plays in the APPA D3 division
PaintballerFourLife is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
PaintballerFourLife is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
The reason Excaliburs are more accurate is because they are closed bolt it has nothing to do with the sizing of the paint to the barrel size.

Wiz
Wrong, closed bolt guns arent any more accurate than open bolt guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp!n View Post
Close bolt guns/open bolt guns/any kind of paintball gun will all shoot the same, its all about paint to barrel match. Everyone says spools shoot flatter or cockers shoot so accurate or this gun is more accurate than this gun, its all untrue. All about the barrel. If you want to argue with me on this, pm me.

QFT.
PaintballerFourLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM #12
sp!n
ŻŻŻŻŻ

Thank you paintballfourlife, and jruss, your lpr/hpr were def. different. It's been proven, sorry.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:44 PM #13
jruss21

Actually only my LPR was different. I swapped out my 2 liter to use it on both guns. Nothing was proven by your statements above.
jruss21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:15 PM #14
intimidator_88

intimidator_88 is a founding member
I dont really want to post this. Because theres a bunch of mucho men in these forums lately.

But weight is another thing between the two guns.
Obviously the excal is heavier.

Rate of fire shouldnt matter. Cap at most fields is now 15. They both can do that.
They both get arround the same effeicnency

The whole ones more accurate than the other.eh..Used cockers my whole life. They arent anymore accurate. Thats all within the ball to bore match.
intimidator_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:54 PM #15
ikey

im pretty sure people's opinion of accuracy is just mental or just in fact perhaps they like the feel of a excal better (or think they will play better because they think it has better accuacy) thus actually giving better accuacy cause your more positive about it. you gonna play better with what feels the best to you and what you like best.

however, closed bolt has nothing to do with accuracy, if it does its so negligible i dont think i can be noticed. barrel, paint, and bore match are pretty much the only things that matter. the only advantage ive seen is detents dont matter as much with closed bolt guns. howeverif your detents go with an open bolt gun you might as well stop playing cause you not gonna be ding anything but blending every shot. downside, without proper bore match your gonna get rollouts, which is anoying especially for snap shooting. so you pretty much need a barrel kit.

otehr than that, an excal is just more complex, and has the closed bolt disadvantages stated above plus its a tad slower.

imo the only reason to get an excal is if you personally think you like the feel of the gun better than a viking, cause IMO feel is everything. your gonna do best with what you like. if you didnt, everybody would buy the exact same gun.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:37 PM #16
MeuroM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intimidator_88 View Post
But weight is another thing between the two guns.
Obviously the excal is heavier.
Heavier gun with a little less operating pressure should make the gun feel less kicky..
Smooth old matrix anyone?
But again, even if I think bore match is the key, my excal and my cockers *seem* to be just a little more balls on balls than my vikings, with the same barrel, and that makes me wonder.. or should I say my vikings *seem* to curve balls a little more than my closed bolt guns..

I am MorueM / Cocker's and AKA's aficionado..
Resurrected Swirl / Poop-O-type / RevengeV2 / Most of my AKA bunch

Last edited by MeuroM : 09-29-2007 at 07:46 PM.
MeuroM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:02 PM #17
intimidator_88

intimidator_88 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeuroM View Post
Heavier gun with a little less operating pressure should make the gun feel less kicky....
But with a robtown valve in a viking. Its like shooting a kickless gun anyways.

I dont know. I own 4 cockers and my viking. When paint is matched to the barrels. The grouping is arround the same.

No gun is better than the other. Unless your comparing spyders with a high end up.

But to me. The lighter weight of a viking and the faster bps cought my attention. Its fun to play with no cap now and again.
intimidator_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 PM #18
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey View Post
without proper bore match your gonna get rollouts, which is anoying especially for snap shooting. so you pretty much need a barrel kit.
Or widgets in your barrels.

custar
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 AM #19
scoprius

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post

custar
QFT, PPS brass barrels are my favs with widgets
Classics Sale Thread
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it" - H.L. Mencken
Vintage Trix owner
scoprius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 AM #20
ShockerGEEk

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post

custar
If I remember right they can install them in any barrel...And I have been looking all over their website trying to find where I can get a widget installed....I cant find them anywhere.
Anyone got a link...or info?

Cyborg RX FS
ShockerGEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM #21
mquinn96

They "feel" different. The Excal has a "POP Click click" to it while the viking is more "SNAP". Some people simply don't like the feel of the excal, though it has the advantage of actualy being a more stable firing cycle. Try both, see which feels better, and I'm 99% sure you will do better with that marker.
Both are excellent.
I personaly shoot a robtown excal (silky smooth)....but I'm also a big Autococker fan too.

MTX Designs LLC.
www.kajohnson.com

My Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1471579
mquinn96 is offline   Reply With Quote