Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2015, 09:04 PM #1
davethewave12321

Arduino Evil M project em ehm

Ok so this was a project that I took on because I wanted an OLED board for my angel LCD. I made this picture just to demonstrate that the board could be used on vikings and Evil Ms. If you want more info click the link in my signature.

Last edited by davethewave12321 : 01-14-2015 at 11:20 PM.
davethewave12321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2015, 03:42 PM #2
"T-MAC"
({})

"T-MAC" is playing at Living Legends III
"T-MAC" supports Bob Gurnsey
Sweet! Lets see one installed
Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 PM #3
gunhero5
Straight Business

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
Yeah! Nice work! I know there's a need for these.

Make a video of it operating!

OG Supporting Member | Hopelessly Stuck In 2003 | 1TIM6:12
"Quit smiling, you're suppose to be professional." - RR
gunhero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM #4
nlrunkle
Summit City PaintballPark

nlrunkle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Very cool indeed.
nlrunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM #5
Travis1581

Interesting! Ive grabbed a lot of different frames trying to get something with an OLED board. I know arduino's are small, but what size are we looking at for the board and the screen?

I see its hooked up to a breadboard. What is your power supply?
Old 01-14-2015, 08:04 PM #6
davethewave12321

The project is ongoing. I'm looking for C/C++ programmers who can and want to work on this as a community effort. If you want a copy of my code please pm me. I've already given it to 2 people.

This is an arduino pro mini they are very small. If you go to sparkfun.com and look them up they are usually set next to a quarted for comparison.

The operating voltage for any arduino is between 7-12 volts. But for the purposes of programming the board you will need an FTDI board and probably a mini USB cable.

Once the FTDI board/cable is hooked up to the arduino the pro mini will power on and will operate normally most of the time. An exception would be if you wanted to operate a solenoid or a buzzer using only power provided by the FTDI board/cable. Once programming is complete you disconnect the FTDI board/cable and hook the pro mini up to a 9V Battery. Now the pro mini has enough current to run a buzzer but running a solenoid mat require you to hook your solenoid digital out pin up to an N-channel MOSFET which pulls power from your 9v directly. Then the power to the solenoid will be 9v pulses, so you have to use like a voltage regulator to bring down the voltage.

Last edited by davethewave12321 : 01-14-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 PM #7
davethewave12321

Also Travis I am so diggin' your half mill Evil M body design. I was thinking about starting an Evil M build.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM #8
Travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewave12321 View Post
Also Travis I am so diggin' your half mill Evil M body design. I was thinking about starting an Evil M build.
If you like the body style I have shown on my thread, grab a body. I have been hoping to get it milled for about 6 months now. But the day will hopefully be coming soon that mine will come off the mill. Once I can assure everything is good with the CNC program, I will be doing a limited run for people here at PBN at cost.

If you had a different idea for a body, shoot me a PM and I can assist you with the CAD work.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 PM #9
MeuroM

What was the final design Travis?

I am MorueM / Cocker's and AKA's aficionado..
Resurrected Swirl / Poop-O-type / RevengeV2 / Most of my AKA bunch
MeuroM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:30 PM #10
Travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeuroM View Post
What was the final design Travis?
I dont want to highjack the thread so I will shoot you a PM. This board could end up being a really valuable resource and I'd like to keep the conversation focused on that. If it is something that can be of value to everyone, feel free to post in my thread. If not, we can talk about it over PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:09 AM #11
davethewave12321

I am going to be purchasing a new Angel LCD in a few days. Once I receive it in the mail I will be able to set the board up in the frame and I will update everyone then.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 AM #12
Travis1581

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethewave12321 View Post
I am going to be purchasing a new Angel LCD in a few days. Once I receive it in the mail I will be able to set the board up in the frame and I will update everyone then.
Looking forward to seeing updates!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:00 AM #13
tarrguy57

tarrguy57 is an NCPA player
tarrguy57 plays in the APPA D5 division
tarrguy57 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Seems like a cool idea! At $10 a board this would have to be the cheapest paintball board ever.
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

F1 and F2 Illustrators FS

Cocker, Automag and Misc. Parts FS

WTB Misc. Parts
tarrguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 AM #14
davethewave12321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
Seems like a cool idea! At $10 a board this would have to be the cheapest paintball board ever.
$2.58 per board if you buy them on ebay from china. When I get some time I'll make a video on how to get these set up.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:19 AM #15
tarrguy57

tarrguy57 is an NCPA player
tarrguy57 plays in the APPA D5 division
tarrguy57 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Nice. Possible to run this without the screen? Never really cared if I had one with how simple LEDs are to decipher with different colors or blinks. If you could get this to work with Viking/Excal/Evil M for modern shooting modes and such I would be ecstatic. I would love to keep using my Viking without having to upgrade to a Tadao at $100+ per board or swapping out the frame to use a different board.
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

F1 and F2 Illustrators FS

Cocker, Automag and Misc. Parts FS

WTB Misc. Parts
tarrguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:30 AM #16
davethewave12321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
Nice. Possible to run this without the screen? Never really cared if I had one with how simple LEDs are to decipher with different colors or blinks. If you could get this to work with Viking/Excal/Evil M for modern shooting modes and such I would be ecstatic. I would love to keep using my Viking without having to upgrade to a Tadao at $100+ per board or swapping out the frame to use a different board.
personally I have no interest in developing a board without a screen. however my code is available on the blog for free so I guess if someone really wanted to they could make one.

additionally, if you really wanted to upgrade your board I suppose that you could just buy any board that fits your marker and test the voltage coming from the solenoid pins, if it matches that of your solenoid then you can use the board. If the voltage doesn't match your solenoid then use a multimeter to trace the lines back to the MOSFET that the board's microcontroller uses to send the high signal to the solenoid. there should be a voltage regulator somewhere between the MOSFET and the solenoid pins, just find a suitable voltage regulator replacement and replace the existing one with your replacement.

Last edited by davethewave12321 : 01-20-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:12 AM #17
Enfamous13

Annual Supporting Member
Hey,
Could you send the part numbers for the board and led screen? And could you use eeprom to save board settings?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:07 AM #18
davethewave12321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfamous13 View Post
Hey,
Could you send the part numbers for the board and led screen? And could you use eeprom to save board settings?
The Arduino Board

The OLED display I used

Some Photo-interupters I'm hoping to use in a reflective eye setup

3mm Emitter and IR Receivers for use with a break beam eye system

As for the EEPROM I am not sure. I am taking a microprocessor design class right now and we are learning how to program the Texas Instruments MSP430 using both Assembly and C. I just took a Logic Design class where we built stupid things like a 4 bit adder, and a counter using a 7-segment display. We touched briefly on EEPROM and its predecessors, but we never really used the knowledge to do anything.

Last edited by davethewave12321 : 01-21-2015 at 01:12 AM.