Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
The Problem with the NEPL

The Problem with the NEPL is that you guys have kicked out the good teams. I mean the really top teams. The teams that help make everyone else better.

I get lots of emails and PM's and IM's from people who say I should have the Hurricanes conduct this traveling road show, going from local field to local field and playing local teams.

This ignores the fact that we have a field sponsor and those local teams can come to us (thereby making the sponsorship sensible for the field sponsor).

It also ignores the fact that practicing local teams won't help advance the Hurricanes, and the Hurricanes need to advance. Going into KC, we had two day practices with the A-Team (top 3 ranked Semi Pro team) and Jersey Authority. We also spent one weekend at Fox4, so I'm not saying we can't ever play against local teams, but I am saying that unless we go out and push ourselves in practices, we are going to be pushed around at events.

You guys want to get better, push yourselves.

Hurricanes started out playing against Express and Wild Geese and Section 8 and we got our arses beat week in and week out. We went to the NEPLs knowing we'd lose money, but wanting to get better.

Later, we started driving to NY in 2002 to practice pro teams. Later we drove to NJ to practice pro teams. Now we drive to PA to practice pro teams.

Give to get. You want your team to be the best it can be, bring the best teams back to the NEPL and use it as a way to learn.

A long term approach is costly, but ultimately, its more likely to get you what you want.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
J. Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2007, 02:02 PM #2
Brickhouse

Brickhouse is a Supporting Member
thank you...a good day of practice is not one you win all your games, way back in the day me and the junkiez would sit at canobie paintball and wait for boston paintball and the geese to finish practice. SOmetimes we were lucky enough to get in a couple of games with them after. We invited ourselves to there practices for awhile, sure they thought we were annoying but getting blown up all day pays off.

www.bonusballer.net

Paintball coverage for the players, by the players-- CHECK IT OUT!!
Brickhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:34 PM #3
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
[quote=J. Stein;40268996]
It also ignores the fact that practicing local teams won't help advance the Hurricanes, and the Hurricanes need to advance. Going into KC, we had two day practices with the A-Team (top 3 ranked Semi Pro team) and Jersey Authority. We also spent one weekend at Fox4, so I'm not saying we can't ever play against local teams, but I am saying that unless we go out and push ourselves in practices, we are going to be pushed around at events.
QUOTE]

but dont Dynasty and other west cost teams...just play against thier local teams?(practice) and isnt that part the reason why the lower division teams in other parts of the country are so good...they are always playing against the pro's?

please correct me if i am wrong cause i truly do not know the answer....and am actually curious....

basically what are they doing that you/we are not? i am pretty sure they arent playing in local tournies...are they?

Last edited by bmoney003 : 09-27-2007 at 02:43 PM.
bmoney003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM #4
Buck

Buck is a founding member
Buck is a Professional paintball player
Buck donated to help Peyton Trent
Not really, most pro teams on the west coast have a 2 day set up with another pro team every or every other weekend. There are a lot more pro teams in Cali to practice and their weather is good all year round. I'd imagine that most of the lower ranked teams out there do what the Junkiez used to do and try to pick up games with them at the end of practice. But teams like Dynasty, Ironmen, etc won't set up a practice to play a D1 or D2 team for an entire weekend, it just isn't worthwhile.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM #5
bmoney003
187 cRew it's Murda!!

bmoney003 is a Professional paintball player
bmoney003 plays in the PSP
bmoney003 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
understandable.....thanks for the clarification....i only asked cause i rememebr reading about D3 teams "beating" XSV regularly last year...

It is such a double edged sword...cause the Div. teams WANT to get raped in practice against much betetr teams to learn...yet the Pro's really dont want to have that be their practice....its a weird situation....I dont think having the canes walk away with a NEPL victory is the answer tho.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:56 PM #6
J. Stein

Well, like I said, I wouldn't through the Hurricanes full roster behind it. I would pick up a few training players and send them out with a group that would likely consist of the Mahers (who could and would teach a lot) and a few active 'Canes.

Although, you are right in that I would not put a team out there that I didn't think could win.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 09-27-2007, 10:16 PM #7
yung gunner 77
DiBBle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
Not really, most pro teams on the west coast have a 2 day set up with another pro team every or every other weekend. There are a lot more pro teams in Cali to practice and their weather is good all year round. I'd imagine that most of the lower ranked teams out there do what the Junkiez used to do and try to pick up games with them at the end of practice. But teams like Dynasty, Ironmen, etc won't set up a practice to play a D1 or D2 team for an entire weekend, it just isn't worthwhile.
not entirley true because dyansty often practices san diego aftermath to benefit with aftermath mutually and mpost of the time aftermath beats them. but then again thats just one example
Old 09-27-2007, 10:48 PM #8
player12345
ICE WHAT??

player12345 plays in the PSP
player12345 plays in the APPA D2 division
player12345 supports DLX Technology
Jeff Hope you Dont Mind

Here on the East Coast we just dont have the high quality of teams in one area plus we don't practice like the West Coasters. I will start by telling of a practice I flew out ot last year at Dynasty (Pevs) field. Flew out a few of the A team guys and picked up 2 local player to get a feel for the fields before last years SD Event. We were in the running for a pro spot so wanted to practice the best to see how they play the fields. Well we got to the field around 10 am Sat and they (Dynasty, Dynasty Dynamics were already drilling and playing. We played that day till about 3pm and got in 12 games with them. They were still playing when we left because some of us were tired (not me Id play till midnight to learn more) So sunday morning we decided to get their earlier becasue of flights back home we arrive at 830 and guess what they were already playing, talking to Todd, they played Sat till 5pm. We played 17 games again on Sunday against them, we beat them and they beat us but we worked the field learning all the angles and such. I would think it helped becasue the A team got the pro spot (now Jersey Authority) and Dynasty won the event and Dynamics finished 3rd (I lost the one on one tiebreaker). But they played 50 games that weekend. Some teams here on the east coast dont play that many in a month or 2 but they know what it takes to win on the west coast. So now back to the east coast practice schedule Their just ins't the competion here unless you bring it to you (A Team and Evolution is from the Jersey / MD areas with a few players from Pa and Va) We play in DE, their is no competition that can help us there, I'm sorry that is the truth if we play the lcoal D1 and D2 or lower ranked semi pro teams teams it doesn't help us at all so we bring in the pros, We brought Jeff down for a 2 day with the A team and Evolution (our whole team was not there - thats another problem for another thread) and banged out games. Did we get in 50 no but we banged hard for 2 days and i hope it resulted in them learning the fields a little better to help them finish higher. So the next weekend Tom Fore brings in image for the weekend, let me tell you we pushed each other around all weekend, the result a 4th place for them, 3rd place for the hurricanes and a 4th palce for the A team, Evolution in a dissapointing 9th but securing the A Teams spot is what we there for. Arsenal Kids played Sat in our rotation and took a beating but guess what they just won the KC event. Practicing higher quality teams benifits both teams. If the team owner or the A Team and Evolution didn't have the funds these practices would not be happening, he spent more on those 2 2 days than he spent in the tournment but he sees the big picture. To stay on top or get to the top you must play the best that you can get. I played on NEPL event with the canes years ago, we won but everyone still came out guns up against us (Jeff even played a game). Would the tournement suffer because the canes are playing maybe, why not make it for 2 events they can play, you might draw more teams to see what they are made of, but Jeff do you have time to add more events to your schedule or do you know something I been hearing about the major leagues also. Tat is a long rant sorry for that but for the lower ranked teams D1, D2 even some top locals if you want to sit around and watch the top teams play and get some practice time in at the end of the day, you should make your whole day productive by drilling and taking notes. Any team I have been on really hasn't turned a team away but if we play you once and smash you don't expect to hop rigth back on against us, wait till next week or such, we are also there to do a job. That is to make the North East Coast Paintball Scene as powerful as we can.

Last edited by player12345 : 09-27-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Didn't know I ran on so much Damn
player12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM #9
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by yung gunner 77 View Post
not entirley true because dyansty often practices san diego aftermath to benefit with aftermath mutually and mpost of the time aftermath beats them. but then again thats just one example
aftermath is going to be a pro team next year. They are a top SP team. They are good competion. I dont think dynasty goes out and plays d2/3 teams every week. dynasty playing aftermath is pretty much like the canes playing boston each week
NeCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM #10
ken crane
WDP MASTER TECH.

ken crane works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post
The Problem with the NEPL is that you guys have kicked out the good teams. I mean the really top teams. The teams that help make everyone else better.

I get lots of emails and PM's and IM's from people who say I should have the Hurricanes conduct this traveling road show, going from local field to local field and playing local teams.

This ignores the fact that we have a field sponsor and those local teams can come to us (thereby making the sponsorship sensible for the field sponsor).

Hurricanes started out playing against Express and Wild Geese and Section 8 and we got our arses beat week in and week out. We went to the NEPLs knowing we'd lose money, but wanting to get better.

Later, we started driving to NY in 2002 to practice pro teams. Later we drove to NJ to practice pro teams. Now we drive to PA to practice pro teams.

Give to get. You want your team to be the best it can be, bring the best teams back to the NEPL and use it as a way to learn.

A long term approach is costly, but ultimately, its more likely to get you what you want.
jeff, please explain your post. i understand tonys but what or whom was that directed at or for?
ken crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM #11
SeanV

Quote:
Originally Posted by player12345 View Post
but Jeff do you have time to add more events to your schedule or do you know something I been hearing about the major leagues also.
Care to go further? Jeff or Tony?
SeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 AM #12
player12345
ICE WHAT??

player12345 plays in the PSP
player12345 plays in the APPA D2 division
player12345 supports DLX Technology
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanV View Post
Care to go further? Jeff or Tony?
Just some stuff floating around the industry big weights once again regarding combining the leagues. This time is has some steam but we will see I need to check with some insiders to see what they are ssaying once again.
player12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM #13
J. Stein

Its the same old same old.
Everyone thinks it has to happen.
Everyone says it should happen this off season.
Everyone says it makes sense.

But there are ego's involved. And not just your run-of-the-mill human ego, but paintball ego's.

Its all going to come down to whether DYE wants to merge their league with the NPPL and whether Dave and Shawn can work things out. Similar to last time, but then it was Dave and Ged/Bart.

Warzone Facebook
www.warzoneri.com

RIP Ronnie
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM #14
rkjunior
domo arigato mr roboto

rkjunior is a Supporting Member
rkjunior plays in the APPA D5 division
what about a format change to say the inaugural event and BONE?

It has to start somewhere, It has to start sometime, What better place than here, What better time than now
rkjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:53 PM #15
LilK04

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stein View Post

I'm sorry, but you don't go to tournaments to practice. You go to practice so you can go to tournaments and win. That is the real problem here. Letting the Hurricanes back into the NEPL isn't going to make us better. The Hurricanes holding practices, really teaching kids, and not charging them $100 a head is what will make us better. One day a month just scrimmaging the younger teams and showing them the little details would make an unbelievable difference. I'm more likely to go and pay (x) amount of dollars for a whole day of learning then pay between $100-$160 at an event for 6-12 games.

The problem isn't with the NEPL itself, but with what the teams are/aren't doing outside of the NEPL, atleast when you're talking about skill.
New To The Volusia County Area And Looking For A Team
LilK04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:09 PM #16
ken crane
WDP MASTER TECH.

ken crane works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilK04 View Post
I'm sorry, but you don't go to tournaments to practice. You go to practice so you can go to tournaments and win. That is the real problem here. Letting the Hurricanes back into the NEPL isn't going to make us better. The Hurricanes holding practices, really teaching kids, and not charging them $100 a head is what will make us better. One day a month just scrimmaging the younger teams and showing them the little details would make an unbelievable difference. I'm more likely to go and pay (x) amount of dollars for a whole day of learning then pay between $100-$160 at an event for 6-12 games.

The problem isn't with the NEPL itself, but with what the teams are/aren't doing outside of the NEPL, atleast when you're talking about skill.
ok heres what i think. its not the hurricains job or even responsability to help any of you. ocasionaly maybe run a clinic or two but to suggest they should be here to help the other teams without full compensation is stupid. if you cant afford to practice and play in the events another sport is where those should be. sorry but it is the cold reality of sports.have any of you have any idea how much the cains spend just to survive ? i know for a fact that 7 guys sleep on the floor and attend the events with 20 bucks in there pockets for the weekend. they do this becuse they have the burning desire to play and win. i know each and everyone of the guys and have seen the fire that drives them. maybe i am out of line for saying this in the manner that i have but i think they do a fine job just as they are doing. and the problem with the nepl is the players not the promoters. they need to understand this is a buisness,if you want good paint, good refs and a good facuility it needs to be paid for. this isnt rocket science and the wheel doesnt need reinventing. just the people playing the sport. in the nepl only 3-5 teams deserve any type of sponsorship as they have earned that place in paintball. for the rest this is a simple game that should be played and paid for by the players. just like bowling,tennis or racing. only the top of the top deserve the freebies.
ken crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:11 PM #17
rkjunior
domo arigato mr roboto

rkjunior is a Supporting Member
rkjunior plays in the APPA D5 division
Agreed.

We've done the BPS clinics and also held a private clinic with Wedge/Son. Those clinics have helped our players more than anything else we've done. Getting in a full day of that would be fantastic.. LIke everyone said, getting smashed by upper teams DOES help. We try to play as many amateur teams as we can, as an intermediate, along with any "pro days" that came down the line at Maynard.

You want the best, you have to pay the best - Even if it means inviting teams down to play that you KNOW will smash you. So if it costs $100/head, free paint to the team(s), etc.. Whatever. It helps in the long run.

It has to start somewhere, It has to start sometime, What better place than here, What better time than now
rkjunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:19 PM #18
Savoie17

Savoie17 is a Professional paintball player
haha ken crane laying the smack down........ truth of the mater is you dont need to play against the best to get better.... sure it helps and maybe it will get you there quick.

Best way for developing players to become good is to do drills. And by developing i pretty much mean div 1 and lower.(sorry everyone in new england) Do snap shooting, running and shooting josting drills. Cheap on paint and will get your technical skill up. Once your technical skill is good, big teams notice you and start to get you experience.

Greg sewers is a prime example of this. He played on pti and decided he wanted to better himself. For a year straight all he did was drills by himself. For a year he played on divisional teams and would try and come play with us when he could. We noticed he got good, and slowly worked him into the system. The impatient little basterd that he is decided to go west coast for the chance to play pro in both leagues.(even if its gonna be pro 7man for just a year)

Fact of the matter is get good at the basics and the rest will follow

BTW we used to run clinics at a price i thought was a steal. Not much demand by the "developed" tournament teams which i always thought was a shame.
Savoie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 PM #19
Breanna_x0x

here's a little idea:

once, twice, three times a year... Maynard/Boston Paintball should hold a rotation including the Hurricanes (and possibly another "local" pro/semi-pro team), seeing as though it is the Canes' home field, just like they do throughout the winter. This way each team who signs up for the rotation has the opportunity to play the Canes & their semi-pro team. It would be strictly a rotational practice. This way people can get a feel for what an NEPL would be like if the Canes or their SP team played, without paying tournament costs. Having a rotation once every month wouldn't be worth it, especially for the Hurricanes themselves, since they too need to progress and better their playing ability for the following events. If a rotation was held a couple times a year, it wouldn't hurt the Hurricanes practice wise, but potentially could help the New England teams who take advantage of the opportunity.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:31 PM #20
bobbo7915

actually in the beginning of september the 'canes and the semi-pro team were at Fox4 for a rotation with 187, NEX, Section 8 and Riptide, it was invite only to practice against them.
bobbo7915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:35 PM #21
NTran

Annual Supporting Member
NTran is a Professional paintball player
NTran plays in the PSP
NTran owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
And also, Lori HAS set up practices for the normals to practice against the Canes at Maynard a couple times this year already.
UpTon 187 cRew - #4, Coach/Manager
Fox 4 Paintball * Planet Eclipse * G.I. SPORTZ

PM me if you want to set up a TEAM Clinic or INDIVIDUAL Clinic with 187.
NTran is offline   Reply With Quote