Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014, 08:50 PM #1
tyronejk
titular
 
tyronejk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Ridiculous bolt stick with dual-oring bolt

I have a dual-oring tail bolt (Warrior v2) in one of my Ions (Ion XE), and I'm getting ridiculous bolt stick. Not the traditional FSDO, the first shot is fine, but a few hours into the day, the bolt won't cycle without cycling the noid 3-4 times first. Even then, if I let the gun sit for more than 5 seconds, the bolt will stick again. It seems as if there's pressure buildup in the tail between the two tail orings that's causing the orings to extrude outwards and create excess friction. BUT, from the sound it makes when I pull the bolt out of the endcap (gets stuck in there from what I'm assuming is the same cause) I can hear a sucking sound as the tail comes free. I have no idea how there would be a vacuum created in that space, but it's either a vacuum or positive pressure buildup in the tail.

TL;DR vacuum/pressure buildup between two tail orings, causing bolt stick
Anyone heard of this happening?
__________________
Current markers: 2011 G6R | Shocker NXT | Lasoya Promaster | Ion

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 AM #2
metaltechnician
Did I bunker you, bro?
 
metaltechnician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Charleston, SC
metaltechnician owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
metaltechnician has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
metaltechnician has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
metaltechnician supports Empire
Sorry, EDIT.

What is the Operating pressure and do you have a QEV?

Now, try this:

In my standard Ion I have had grease build up in the swivel donut between the two o-rings. This is where the charged air from the front holding the bolt back is sent through to push the bolt forward to fire. Remove the keeper on the back and pull the donut off and clean it thoroughly, replace the o-rings, DO NOT GREASE THESE O-RINGS, leave them dry. A good way to check if this area is getting gunked up is to take your can out and try to twist the swivel donut around a full rotation and if it gives a good bit of resistance then it needs to be cleaned. Let me know if this works or not.

Late,

MT
__________________
Wake up, Break, Pod up, Break, Air up, Break, Strap Up, Break, Mask down, Break, Horn blows, Break, Get shot, Break, Get shot, Break

Last edited by metaltechnician : 06-15-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Asking questions can help troubleshooting, right??? :-)
metaltechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:42 PM #3
tyronejk
titular
 
tyronejk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltechnician View Post
Sorry, EDIT.

What is the Operating pressure and do you have a QEV?

Now, try this:

In my standard Ion I have had grease build up in the swivel donut between the two o-rings. This is where the charged air from the front holding the bolt back is sent through to push the bolt forward to fire. Remove the keeper on the back and pull the donut off and clean it thoroughly, replace the o-rings, DO NOT GREASE THESE O-RINGS, leave them dry. A good way to check if this area is getting gunked up is to take your can out and try to twist the swivel donut around a full rotation and if it gives a good bit of resistance then it needs to be cleaned. Let me know if this works or not.

Late,

MT
Yes it has a QEV and I went to put the reg on a tester and blew two gauges before I opened up the reg and found the reg seat had fallen out of the piston, which is slightly unusual. This is most likely irrelevant to the bolt stick issue, which also happened a couple times before. I'm guessing the reg seat came out at the end of the day yesterday when I degassed the gun. The gun usually shoots 300fps at about 170-180psi, so let's assume that's the case.

And it's an Ion XE, so no donut. The backcap is/always is clean.
__________________
Current markers: 2011 G6R | Shocker NXT | Lasoya Promaster | Ion

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 AM #4
gulfcoasted
 
 
gulfcoasted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dunedin, FL
Warrior and other less common bolt manufacturers were know to basically be copies of the stock bolt with minor alterations and sometimes inaccurate tolerances. Which lube are you using? You may need to hand fit the rear orings similar to how Shocker owners do. Aside from this and the standard batteries dying it could be weird issues could be combining together.
__________________
gulfcoasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM #5
Punisher068
 
 
Punisher068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
I had a similar problem when my tank reg spiked
The spike took out my AKA reg and damaged the armature of my solenoid causing erratic bolt behavior.It left a circular dent in the seal on the bottom of the noid armature.Fortunately the noid itself wasn't damaged and I had a spare armature,took me awhile to diagnose it
__________________
ballin' since '95
Marauders Paintball
Ion w\Axe Relay
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-progress.html
Punisher068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM #6
tyronejk
titular
 
tyronejk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoasted View Post
Warrior and other less common bolt manufacturers were know to basically be copies of the stock bolt with minor alterations and sometimes inaccurate tolerances. Which lube are you using? You may need to hand fit the rear orings similar to how Shocker owners do. Aside from this and the standard batteries dying it could be weird issues could be combining together.
Oring fitting is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher068 View Post
I had a similar problem when my tank reg spiked
The spike took out my AKA reg and damaged the armature of my solenoid causing erratic bolt behavior.It left a circular dent in the seal on the bottom of the noid armature.Fortunately the noid itself wasn't damaged and I had a spare armature,took me awhile to diagnose it
There was a crease on the bottom of the armature. I switched it out with another Ion I don't use much. I'll see if there's a change.
__________________
Current markers: 2011 G6R | Shocker NXT | Lasoya Promaster | Ion

Theoretical max efficiency of a marker
Automated paintball turret
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump