oh yah what is GDT?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2007, 03:03 PM #233
mgsboy
icwutudidthar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ips8 View Post
Ill be taking the AP euro test this year also, as im taking the class this year.
If you need any help I'm only a pm away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoKaySix View Post
oh yah what is GDT?
General Discussion Thread.

"Originally posted by nflvikings: Because gays are responsible for teenage pregnancy. DONT YOU SEE!?"
Old 09-28-2007, 03:05 PM #234
ips8
Fear is your only god

i should be fine for the AP test, concidering on the first test i got an 88, without reading hte chapter or knowing what the test was on.

and when did grades start to matter in high school?
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." Noam Chomsky
Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM #235
mgsboy
icwutudidthar

Quote:
and when did grades start to matter in high school?
I wish grades didn't matter as much, it takes away from learning, imo. Most of the time it only benefits the book smart people.

Being book smart and truly knowing the material are two different things, imo.

"Originally posted by nflvikings: Because gays are responsible for teenage pregnancy. DONT YOU SEE!?"
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM #236
I love Impulses
Keep Calm and Booze On

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Good read about what conservative really means, or what it used to mean

http://www.mises.org/story/2713

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 PM #237
ips8
Fear is your only god

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsboy View Post
I wish grades didn't matter as much, it takes away from learning, imo. Most of the time it only benefits the book smart people.

Being book smart and truly knowing the material are two different things, imo.
i agree with this, thats why i dont care too much about grades, i dont feel it matters in my life, as it has nothing to do with my happiness, i have rather good grades and **** still i know i could do better, but it doesnt make me happy. For me happinessis doing what i love with the people i love, and what i love is not getting good grades, so why worry.
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate." Noam Chomsky
Old 09-28-2007, 07:19 PM #238
Bunkered89
Ride or Collide

Bunkered89 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Bunkered89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bunkered89 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
Umm...yeah. Did they not talk to you about this when you went to college? They gave us a big speech at orientation about it my Freshman year. This happens to practically everyone--the people it doesn't happen to either go to crappy colleges or don't like to "have fun" with "people." I made straight A's throughout my entire high school career. That just doesn't happen in (good) colleges. Fact is, you are now in school with a lot of kids who are just as smart as you or smarter whereas most high schools don't get to pick who goes to their school.

Look up your school's average GPA. You'll probably be surprised. It should be 2-point-something--if it's higher than that, there's serious grade inflation. C is average, so most grades will be C's. I go to the University of North Carolina and our average GPA is 2.3 or something.

Just relax. Grades matter way less in college than they did in high school. It's hard to retrain your brain to realize this, but it's the truth.
Thanks...that made me feel better.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM #239
ips8
Fear is your only god

Am i the only one here who isnt a grade freak/concerned about their grade. Personaly given the choice of talking to my girl (its a long distance thing so seeing her isnt always easy) or not failing a test, id talk to my girl. Given the choice between math, or most other homework, and doing nothing, id do nothing. I dont get the obsesion and worry about grades, anyone care to explain
Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 PM #240
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

Quote:
Am i the only one here who isnt a grade freak/concerned about their grade. Personaly given the choice of talking to my girl (its a long distance thing so seeing her isnt always easy) or not failing a test, id talk to my girl. Given the choice between math, or most other homework, and doing nothing, id do nothing. I dont get the obsesion and worry about grades, anyone care to explain
I helped my brother fill out his resume/application to Price Waterhouse Coopers and they wanted his transcript from college and his SAT scores.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:45 PM #241
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
It's the fact that so much of your life is determined in 4 short years that one can afford to not have a life for those years, since the security and benefits that come from working hard those four years allows you for the rest of your life - hopefully some 50-70 more years, to live the best life possible with rather comfortable means and independence.

However, if you choose to do nothing those four years for the sake of "living life" there's always the possibility that that decision will come back to haunt you, as you enter a job market where it is harder to do what you love, harder to even get a job, and harder to hold a job, making those that worked hard those four years those that are most rewarded, be it with benefits, job security, etc. when compared to those who didn't.

My rationale is that if these four years determine my direction in life, or at least a large part of it, I could care less about "having a life".
Old 09-29-2007, 11:16 AM #242
ips8
Fear is your only god

The thing is, its not like my grades or SAT scores are bad. I have an accumulative 3.9 up to now, it should go up to a 4.0 after this semester, and my sat scores were around a 1950. Now why would I try if i can do this without any real effort, i just dont get it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:41 AM #243
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
The thing is, its not like my grades or SAT scores are bad. I have an accumulative 3.9 up to now, it should go up to a 4.0 after this semester, and my sat scores were around a 1950. Now why would I try if i can do this without any real effort, i just dont get it.
If you can get good grades without trying, then that's fine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RKQgDY0pZ68
Old 09-29-2007, 12:36 PM #244
JungleLarry (Banned)
Algorithms and bananas

Quote:
We didn't say your grades were bad and you didn't say your grades were bad; I remember you asking why you should care, so JcKa and myself gave you some answers. If you've got good grades and test scores, then that's great.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:20 PM #245
mgsboy
icwutudidthar

So I wasted like an hour of my life watching Zeitgeist. I was laughing my *** off through the whole film.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:22 PM #246
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
Well you don't have to try and that's cool, but the people who actually do try aren't doing anything weird either. Plus not everyone is as naturally brilliant as you.

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-29-2007, 02:04 PM #247
ips8
Fear is your only god

Yea i guess, i was more refering to the type of people who could get my grades with the same ammount of effort, but put in alot of effort to get like straight A pluses, seems like a waste of time to me, but i guess to some people grades just matter more.

and oh god i swear, if i hear soja boy one more time, including the barker "remix" im going to kill someone lol, jcka thankyou for posting that
Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 PM #248
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
Yea i guess, i was more refering to the type of people who could get my grades with the same ammount of effort, but put in alot of effort to get like straight A pluses, seems like a waste of time to me, but i guess to some people grades just matter more.

and oh god i swear, if i hear soja boy one more time, including the barker "remix" im going to kill someone lol, jcka thankyou for posting that
I guess I'm out of the loop, I just heard it today.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM #249
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:

Well, if those people have goals that involve getting straight A pluses--like going to Harvard--then they are actually doing what would best serve their goals.

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-29-2007, 03:08 PM #250
Bunkered89
Ride or Collide

Bunkered89 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Bunkered89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bunkered89 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Too bad there are little schools that look at writing SAT. What did you get on Reading and Math combined?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 PM #251
JcKa
post-Hipster

Okay guys, so here's the dealio.

I have nothing to do. I live in the city, and go to school in the city, but the fact is, my class only has 10 other kids that live in the city of D.C., the rest live in MD or VA - a solid 30-60+ minutes away from me, and me hating driving, I don't see them much.

So with all my friends out there, and with my good friends still in the city playing pb, I'm thinking of an Xbox 360. I had a Xbox Fresh year but sold it that summer because I was sick of spending so much time on it (Halo 2 lolz) and because I was only playing with my good friends in the city (who don't go to my school). But now that Xbox 360 is out, all my friends - except the ones that live in the city (but they say they'd pick one up if I bought one), have an Xbox 360, which makes me really want to get one.

It'd be roughly $500 to get everything I'd need to play. Should I? I'm bored silly doing nothing.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM #252
ips8
Fear is your only god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkered89 View Post
Too bad there are little schools that look at writing SAT. What did you get on Reading and Math combined?
umm my writing was horrible because i fell asleep during that section and only got half way through it, yea i was up till 5 am the night before the SATs helping my girl with some ****.

Verbal and math together were around a 1450 - 1500 range i think
Closed Thread