PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-19-2007, 05:44 PM #1
mxmtl
MQ2 Pumper!

Question Going from Semi to Pump Play

So how about some tips for a new pump player who is not new to paintball, but new to pump play?
mxmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM #2
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
Be more aggressive and get closer to your bunker than you ever have before. Also, keep on the move and learn to come out at the absolute weirdest angles; don't be afraid to come over the top of your bunker.

Most importantly, have fun and don't take the game serious or you'll get too frustrated and won't be able to stick with it. Joining a group of friends in playing really helps with the having fun, though they may heckle you for using a pump-action marker.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:39 PM #3
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Prepare to get your *** kicked up and down the field your first few times. Most of the underdog stories you read online are written by players who have been playing pump for years, don't expcet to dominate the field your first time with a pump.

Anyways, make your shots count, rely on your back players or somebody who has a lot of firepower to keep the other guys into their bunker while you get an angle on them, play aggressively too. You also have a small and light setup, use it to your advantage!
Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 PM #4
silverbeast5000

basically you have to post up on people and snap shoot really good. being in the front area also helps a ton.
old feedback

11-18-07: i made mygunvsyourhead write vln on her tits on stickam
silverbeast5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:18 AM #5
Linuss

Don't play like a semi.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:22 AM #6
cockerpunk (Banned)

dont be afraid to shoot.

every time i lone out a pump to a semi kid, he sits there and never shoots at anyone. shoot alot, shoot mor ethan you think you should. dont be afraid to reload. shooting is the only way your gonna learn to shoot better, and to shoot your pump.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 AM #7
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Everyone else has basically said it. I think the key is to get up front, don't hang around in the back of the field. Basic statistics and probability are against you if you play in the back. It should be easier to get to the 50, snake, etc with a pump, because you shouldn't be carrying much paint. (ie - you'll be much faster.) I don't carry pods when I play pump - a 200rd hopper is more than enough for nearly any speedball game.

Once you get up close to your opponents, just snap-shoot. Keep head-checking the field, because you won't be creating much of a percieved threat to your opponents, and they will often ignore you or play sloppy. A lot of the time, it's hard to tell if a pump player is even shooting when everyone else is blasting away at 13+bps.

If you put your opponent in, post up and keep firing away. Finally, don't be afraid to bunker (pumpker) people. Bunkering is really not any harder with a pump than it is with an electro - people just think it is. (And your opponents won't expect it.)

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg

Last edited by loneassassin : 09-20-2007 at 01:30 AM.
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 AM #8
Linuss

Bunkering with a pump is entirely possible...

Just FYI... if you play stock, and you are supposed to tilt your gun BACK to reload... make sure you tilt it BACK... unlike what I did in this photo.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM #9
loneassassin
A Grim and...

^^LOL - Nice P-68! That's the gun I started out with, and I've done that exact same thing several times - go to bunker someone and end up firing blanks at them. Somehow in the heat of the moment you forget....

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM #10
JOESPUD27
Merc

JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends III
JOESPUD27 is playing at Living Legends VII
JOESPUD27 plays in the APPA D5 division
Practice you snaps. Run & Gun is possible, but way different.

Play tight, watch the angles, COMMUNICATE.

Jay
JOESPUD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM #11
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Just FYI... if you play stock, and you are supposed to tilt your gun BACK to reload... make sure you tilt it BACK... unlike what I did in this photo.
Not if you're using a Phantom.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 PM #12
p8ntbllr42

im in the same boat im going from a dm4 to a phantom.just havent had a chance to actually play with a pump.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:44 PM #13
Handle

...or you can just take your time and start in the back.Being aggressive when playing pump for the first time(in my opinion) makes you get all excited because you see the field differently.All of a sudden people are wide open too you or looking the other way when you see them.You have the most beautiful shot and you forget to pump the gun before you pull the trigger.Or you pump the gun too fast and chop a ball or pump twice and load two balls. And all this can be said when you're going to bunker someone or someone comes to do you.Heres what i suggest,let the game start,let everyone get to their bunker.Then you pick where you want to start(if you haven't already) and start with one guy.Snap with him,do it at a distance if you want.If you're too far,move up.As you get more comfortable move even further up.Get to where your good with your pump and don't forget about those crossfield shots. Pick someone who isn't paying attention then let 'em have it.And when you feel good go bunker someone.I just feel that it makes no sense to run all the way up front to get in the thick of the game only to get shot becuase you're not comfortable.Try it playing walk-ons first.Then try tourney players because remember,they're in their zone,you're not.Goodluck.
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM #14
mxmtl
MQ2 Pumper!

Handle, I think that is the best advice so far! That is how I started, and it worked out well for me. The only thing I would add is to play with more experienced pump players to see how they play.

Last edited by mxmtl : 09-26-2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:10 PM #15
Handle

Yes "IF" you can find experienced players,and if they play where you do then yeah.Those are always the cool guys but if you're the only one at your field then this way is a good way too start.Its how i started as well,and i'm the only one that plays pump where i'm at.Come to my field and ask for the guy that plays pump,everybody will tell you my name.(no bragging intended)
Handle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:25 PM #16
SotallyTober
SoCal Prerunners

I have been pumping for a long time and I recently got into semi. I love to pump, and still pump more than semi. I go to the field and pump for a good while then play a few games of hopper ball with my semi. Then back to pump. So it is mostly 80% pump and 20% semi in a day of play. All in all I believe it does make me a good semi player. Honestly, most days I won't even touch my semi.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 PM #17
mxmtl
MQ2 Pumper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SotallyTober View Post
I have been pumping for a long time and I recently got into semi. I love to pump, and still pump more than semi. I go to the field and pump for a good while then play a few games of hopper ball with my semi. Then back to pump. So it is mostly 80% pump and 20% semi in a day of play. All in all I believe it does make me a good semi player. Honestly, most days I won't even touch my semi.
Sounds like you started the opposite way. Whether or not it makes you a better semi player is a whole different topic.

Let's try to keep this on topic for helping players who started out on semi and are new to pump.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:57 PM #18
Contour
---!R.I.P!---

Man its definitely much different. Honestly I started to become a ***** in semi, don't know why I just lost confidence (playing the back so long). Then after not playing all summer I used my phantoms and just kept moving. Right now I'll only get a couple kills every day (only played stock class 2 days now). But when walking off the field talking with the other guys its awesome. "I went through three pods that game", to which I reply I went through three tubes. I'm becoming a lot more confident in moving and playing more aggressively. I know if I had a semi in the spots I get to with my pump I would eliminate way more people as opposed to my phantom. But that's temporary and I'm still finding my groove. I want to be playing every week this winter which will definitely improve my pump and all around game. Also people respect that you're using a pump as well. Even if you suck with it they know. But don't act arrogant, like they suck because there semi because thats a sure way to get overshot.

I guess I kind of went on a rant/story time.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 PM #19
Linuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
Not if you're using a Phantom.

Failed reading in school?

That's why I said "IF you're supposed to tilt it back to reload"
Old 10-05-2007, 09:56 PM #20
Contour
---!R.I.P!---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Failed reading in school?

That's why I said "IF you're supposed to tilt it back to reload"
Failed writing in school?

Actually you said IF you play stock, phantoms are stock class (for the most part) and don't require you to tilt back.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 PM #21
Linuss

Wow, two people have missed it now. It's not that hard of a concept to grasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
if you play stock, and you are supposed to tilt your gun BACK to reload
I didn't say "if you play stock, where you are". I was not describing how to reload while playing stock.

I said "if you play stock, AND you are", describing 1 form of reloading.

Now, want to try again?

Last edited by Linuss : 10-05-2007 at 10:32 PM.