Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-18-2007, 03:52 PM #1
streetspirit

Photography Colleges

I know there is a thread on this way back but I've been doing some research lately and it's pretty much crunch time right now. I'm a senior in highschool, live in New Jersey(Central), and I'm looking for some photography colleges.

It'd be cool to have everyone chime in on what they've heard or experianced about different schools, whether they're in my area or not. My original plan was to "go to California", but right now it's seeming pretty naive since I haven't done much research.

I've been looking at SVA, RIT, Parsons, FIT, but outside that, anyone know of any other good ones or have any experiences to share about any?

I've tried looking for sites which review colleges, some are alright, but I haven't really found any definitive source.

I don't really have a fortune to spend, which brings me to my next question: are there any notable scholarships that I could possibly get through photography?

This is a flickr stream of my more recent shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fsalazarphoto

and my old is in my sig.

thanks
streetspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2007, 03:59 PM #2
Nerve05 (Banned)

Find a new interest.

Sorry, but if I looked at your portfolio as a admissions counselor, I'd burn it.
Nerve05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 PM #3
Snakeplayer.
Tom Cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerve05 View Post
Find a new interest.

Sorry, but if I looked at your portfolio as a admissions counselor, I'd burn it.
I disagree completely. While these aren't necessarily up to our ST P standards, they are quite up to par with under-grad work for most colleges.

However, I wouldn't suggest majoring in photo, unless it's photo-journo or similar, as it's not a diploma that can get you much, I'd personally major in something else you enjoy (or something boring like business) and minor in photo if you still want.
Snakeplayer. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:03 PM #4
Ghs421

You don't need a good portfolio to major in photography. Anyway, most colleges you look at will be private and thus expensive. To be honest you won't be getting any scholarships with your portfolio, but as I said you don't need a good portfolio to major in photography. Many public universities offer photography, but their programs will certainly not be as strong as RIT or Syracuse. I would look for a public school in NJ that offers it. Rutgers maybe?
Ghs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:11 PM #5
cowkid90
:\

has been a member for 10 years
How many of you guys looked beyond the first page of his flickr before making judgment on it? I think there's really some rather strong portraits in there.

Anyway, take a look at Hallmark maybe. Tution's about $50,00, but it's only a 1 year program.
cowkid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 PM #6
geekyrocketguy

Colleges tend to be much cheaper in CA than elsewhere in the country, since we spend all our tax money on colleges and none on K-12. Our K-12 schools suck, but we have cheap colleges. -_-

Last year in photo class a rep from Brookes Institute of Photography came to class and tried to recruit us. Apparently they emphasize the business of photography as much as the photography itself. That's useful if you don't want to be a starving photograher your entire life. You might want to look into that college.

The CollegeBoard has pretty good profiles of schools. Have you looked at that? Find colleges that interest you, and do a tour.

My Photo Site

Last edited by geekyrocketguy : 09-18-2007 at 04:14 PM.
geekyrocketguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:14 PM #7
Ghs421

I did. And either way you have to have an incredibly dazzling portfolio or have lived through a genocide to even consider getting a partial scholarship. As I said, college is expensive there's no denying that. So look for a state school (in state=cheaper) or find a different major.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:39 PM #8
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

Annual Supporting Member
tonybhall is a Moderator
tonybhall supports our troops
Street,

I enjoyed looking at your flicker and smugmug site. I agree with the people here that have suggested you major in something else like business and minor in photography. While you might learn more about photography by majoring in it, a degree in photography is almost worthless. Unlike a lot of jobs, getting a job in photography depends on actual work (ie portfolio) not just a piece of paper that says you can do it (ie degree).

On the other hand, a Business degree can help you with your photography becuase it gives you the skills needed to run a business, something a lot of photographers lack. IMO, it's easier to be a successful mediocre photographer with good business sense than to be successful as a great photographer with no business skills.

Plus, a business degree can help you land a pretty good paying job while you continue to develop your photography skills. Which you'll need becuase photography is an expensive endeavor.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:53 PM #9
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetspirit View Post
I know there is a thread on this way back but I've been doing some research lately and it's pretty much crunch time right now. I'm a senior in highschool, live in New Jersey(Central), and I'm looking for some photography colleges.

It'd be cool to have everyone chime in on what they've heard or experianced about different schools, whether they're in my area or not. My original plan was to "go to California", but right now it's seeming pretty naive since I haven't done much research.

I've been looking at SVA, RIT, Parsons, FIT, but outside that, anyone know of any other good ones or have any experiences to share about any?

I've tried looking for sites which review colleges, some are alright, but I haven't really found any definitive source.

I don't really have a fortune to spend, which brings me to my next question: are there any notable scholarships that I could possibly get through photography?

This is a flickr stream of my more recent shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fsalazarphoto

and my old is in my sig.

thanks
Based on the photography college graduates I know and their portfolios, I would only consider applying to a photography program if there was no more space left at the local clown college

A Haiku about Life - By Secret Asian Man
twitch slaps me around
he likes to make me his *****
Because of small cock
elTwitcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:08 PM #10
azn-eric

azn-eric is an NCPA player
azn-eric is an NCPA National Champion
azn-eric plays in the APPA D4 division
brookes institute of photography
azn-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM #11
streetspirit

Well thanks for the info so far, I'll consider the business side because I know that is important.

Ultimately my goal is to be doing photography as a profession pretty soon in life. I would like to improve any skills (or supposed lack of any skill), so hopefully I can figure it out.
streetspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 PM #12
Sacintimidator06
Obey Propaganda

Get a business degree and assist some photographers.
Sacintimidator06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 PM #13
sharps990
wdp4life

sharps990 is a Supporting Member
i am in kind of the same position right now. right now i am going to a traditional four year college majoring in business, roanoke college in salem va. i mean i would make a fine accountant but it is not for me.

the only diffrence is that i have an established assisting/second shooting job with a leading wedding photography company in washington dc, freed photography. i have been working for them for about a year and a half and they like me a lot, i am one of their most requested assistants. right now i am considering applying for a transfer to the corcoran college of art and design in washington dc.

i guess what i am saying is that there other options besides going to a school for business. it is all about who you know and getting a job with a good company. contact a few wedding photography companies or quality studios in your area and just ask if they need an assistant to do some of the menial tasks that nobody wants to do. get your foot in the door.

PAINTBALL: Its a drug and we are all addicted.

Angel 90 Empire.
The Angel 90 EMPIRE
Ride. Or Die.
sharps990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:37 PM #14
Ghs421

Isn't Freed's studio in Bethesda? That's where I live... Small world.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 PM #15
sharps990
wdp4life

sharps990 is a Supporting Member
yea, i went there almost every day from annapolis, 495 traffic , though you wouldnt belive how much fun it is at 130 on a saturday night after an event. doing 120 down onto the 50 east bound off ramp will wake you right up

great company though i am really hoping to have a carrier there, and they couldnt be more supportive

PAINTBALL: Its a drug and we are all addicted.

Angel 90 Empire.
The Angel 90 EMPIRE
Ride. Or Die.
sharps990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:49 PM #16
Ghs421

If they're ever looking for another studio grunt let me know... That is about a 15 minute walk from my house.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 AM #17
So1o
be good.

So1o owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
I live in Bethesda too...haha. Let me know how the studio grunting goes.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 PM #18
chris_arnet
V-Neck

i thought some of your pictures were good. but you wouldnt be getting a scholorship. im actually a junior in high school, and was looking at the same thing. however, my grades suck
Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM #19
Nickypoo
dIrty jerSey

if nothing else work im going to ccm to bump my high school grades up and im minoring in photography they have a great photography program definetely not as a major but if you want to really grow they do a great job of helping you

(now possibly E-jam playa)

e1 custom milled cocker for trade!!!

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1024544
Nickypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 PM #20
pbfan3
Stonemak Paintball

antonelli institute of art and photography
pbfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:57 PM #21
Le'Louie

wow, i give Nerve05 an A for being a complete dick. That like bro i wanna learn how to swim, you suck fall off your raft and drown. About the college streetspirit, i hear nothin but good ****ing things about RIT, one of my good friends who teaches at the college here taught at RIT for 16 years and her husband 20 years, they ****ing just rave and rave about it, im thinking about going there myself, you can do such things as go up to the equipment cage and check out a damn HassleBad or whatever else you need because those companies practically bulk donate equipment to them.

Last edited by Le'Louie : 09-26-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Le'Louie is offline   Reply With Quote