PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM #1
Bigd128

Little advice

Hello y'all,
I'm new to this site not the sport and I have grown this curiosity and obsession for playing pump. What got me started was saw a buddy play with with his stock class phantom and only using a bag of paint and killing it out there got me really interested. So I found some phantoms, I have this guy that is gonna sell me a whole set phantom, open class body, 15 round tube, pb mafia, spring kits etc. all for 300. Or I can keep my setup now with an electro and continue to buy two box and a half a day. But I also need new gear as well pod belt and hopper are trashed and tank I rent one. So little advice to invest in the money to play pump or play electro??? Advice please. No flaming please looking for advice
Bigd128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM #2
inception
Big PUMPIN-P_U_M_P

inception has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
inception has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Well you posted this in a pump section so the answers may be a little biased. But...the amount of money you spend in paint shooting electro is more than you would spend to buy the extra gear you need to play pump. The money you save every weekend will keep you playing more often. You really don't need a whole lot of separate gear for pump and you could just play hopper ball until you have enough for a pod pack. As far as the tank goes, the 13k tanks can be found relatively cheap. Or if your phantom comes with 12gram adapter, you could use that. And if all else fails, you could use a co2 tank, they run like $20 max. Honestly, money wise, converting to pump is a smart decision. However, just know that it's not the same and you may get discouraged. Stick with it and you will be very satisfied.
inception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 PM #3
Bigd128

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception View Post
Well you posted this in a pump section so the answers may be a little biased. But...the amount of money you spend in paint shooting electro is more than you would spend to buy the extra gear you need to play pump. The money you save every weekend will keep you playing more often. You really don't need a whole lot of separate gear for pump and you could just play hopper ball until you have enough for a pod pack. As far as the tank goes, the 13k tanks can be found relatively cheap. Or if your phantom comes with 12gram adapter, you could use that. And if all else fails, you could use a co2 tank, they run like $20 max. Honestly, money wise, converting to pump is a smart decision. However, just know that it's not the same and you may get discouraged. Stick with it and you will be very satisfied.
I really appreciate that. It looks like a lot of fun. It comes to the point of going balling once a month cause my gun needs work paint and the entry fees for the field plus air ain't cheap so all in all it gets to be a lot. Pump seems like a lot of fun but needed advice cause I play with all guys using electro but they don't have bills lol. I however want a challenge and have fun
Old 04-09-2014, 10:00 PM #4
inception
Big PUMPIN-P_U_M_P

Well I can guarantee that it will be a challenge if your playing against all electros...well worth it tho. Check with your field, they may give discounts for people that play pump also.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM #5
Bigd128

Quote:
Originally Posted by inception View Post
Well I can guarantee that it will be a challenge if your playing against all electros...well worth it tho. Check with your field, they may give discounts for people that play pump also.
Will do I really appreciate your help... What setup do u run?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 PM #6
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Here is my $0.02...

Play both. I shoot my electro first and see how good the field is. I don't play hard, but if it's 75% or more rentals I play pump. I'll usually play pump for woodsball or non hyperball/inflatable field like pallets or spools.

I enjoy both but find playing electric hopperball or 2 pods and a hopper gets me through 2 hours of half a case then I play pump for 2 hours and shoot a bag. My last match is usually an all out 4 pods and a hopper of electric semi bliss.

Scernario games I do the same mixing up stock class pump in the later parts of a objective grab or hot weather games since it's the lightest setup in paintball on 12 grams.

Enjoy paying paintball and change up what you shoot so you truly change how you play. One way is never as gratifying as having options.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:13 AM #7
Nahib_Stilgar

Keep both.

Learn to shoot less with the electro. Go hopper ball or get a smaller loader and or tank...hell, throw a stickfeed on it!

Pump and SC play is awesome. I have played pump for most I my paintball life, the style carries over even when I play with a semi.

Basically. Get the pump and use it to learn how to play the game effectively without spray and pray.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:18 AM #8
turbowagonman
Old school from way back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd128 View Post
I have this guy that is gonna sell me a whole set phantom, open class body, 15 round tube, pb mafia, spring kits etc. all for 300.
Let me see if I understand this correctly: you can get a Phantom with both a Stock Class body with a 15 round feed tube and an Open Class body, PB Mafia Stock Class Harness and spring sets for $300...

Phantom, Great pump gun one of the better guns out there. Nelson design which means almost as simple as it gets maintenance and parts wise. If you put the Open Class body on you can keep up with a hopper without a problem then move to stock class once you've make the adjustment to playing pump.

PB Mafia, which one? I run with the Joy Ride and love it, great way to carry 15 - 10 round tubes.

Depending on the condition of the gun that's not a bad deal. Phantoms sell for around $200 - $300 (depending on condition and what else comes with it). Look on eBay you'll see VSC (Vertical Stock Class) or BBA (Back Bottle Adapter) Phantom's and compare to see what he's selling you. I run a Phantom VSC and love it. You can get a 3.5 or 4 oz CO2 tank to hang off the front for under $20, I run it either that way or with Leland 12 gram cartridges (mostly 12 grams though).
turbowagonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:29 AM #9
inception
Big PUMPIN-P_U_M_P

Quote:
Will do I really appreciate your help... What setup do u run?
I used to switch back and forth like the above poster, went straight electro, and missed my phantom so I just traded my electro for another phantom..going to run it open class.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:57 AM #10
Bigd128

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowagonman View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly: you can get a Phantom with both a Stock Class body with a 15 round feed tube and an Open Class body, PB Mafia Stock Class Harness and spring sets for $300...

Phantom, Great pump gun one of the better guns out there. Nelson design which means almost as simple as it gets maintenance and parts wise. If you put the Open Class body on you can keep up with a hopper without a problem then move to stock class once you've make the adjustment to playing pump.

PB Mafia, which one? I run with the Joy Ride and love it, great way to carry 15 - 10 round tubes.

Depending on the condition of the gun that's not a bad deal. Phantoms sell for around $200 - $300 (depending on condition and what else comes with it). Look on eBay you'll see VSC (Vertical Stock Class) or BBA (Back Bottle Adapter) Phantom's and compare to see what he's selling you. I run a Phantom VSC and love it. You can get a 3.5 or 4 oz CO2 tank to hang off the front for under $20, I run it either that way or with Leland 12 gram cartridges (mostly 12 grams though).
Yes apologies, the pack is the pb mafia joy ride. The gun is the high end phantom, it's the blue and grey acid wash, comes with ghost ring site, 15 round tube, 10 round tube, open class body, to stock, 14 inch barrel, ring detents, Asa, regulator and springs for low pressure, spring kit, spare parts etc. I asked him to just put it back to stock spring with the 12 gram changer so I can learn.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:52 PM #11
Bigd128

I got another dilemma a sniper or phantom? Sniper is 275 with a steel tank or phantom with everything?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM #12
LAXbros32

LAXbros32 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LAXbros32 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LAXbros32 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I got another dilemma a sniper or phantom? Sniper is 275 with a steel tank or phantom with everything?
what do you mean "everythinng"
Old 04-10-2014, 10:46 PM #13
Bigd128

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAXbros32 View Post
what do you mean "everythinng"
The sniper comes with a steel tank for 275 only used once and the phantom comes with a pb mafia joy ride, due sticky grips, 14 inch barrel, ghost stream, upgraded tpc, t stock, undercockking pump, 15 round tube, and right hand body, also comes with a setup for low pressure with Asa, reg, spring kits, 12 gram changer.... I'm gonna pull the trigger by tomorrow but a little confused on which one?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:41 PM #14
sniper97

has been a member for 10 years
I have played since the early 1990's, I started with pump/mech, went to electro and wanted to try pump. Oct 2009, I picked up a CCM S6 and have been playing pump ever since.

Phantoms are nice, but IMHO, get a CCM. The pump stroke is light, trigger is almost "electro-ish", points well. Also if you need it, there is an auto trigger, perfect for those times when someone wants to bunker you.

Playing rec ball with a pump, I can play all day on 300-400 balls, not even a bag. And I am not being conservative with the paint.

Your keys to success are: 1. field awareness (know where your team is and the other team is, take the right or left side of the field, do not take the middle, for example if you take the right tape line, all you have to worry about is straight ahead and your left), 2. 80% of the time, only take shots you can hit, 3. learn to snap shoot (come out of cover, get your shot, drop back into cover, do not watch to see if you get a hit, learn to snap shoot with both hands), 4. get a friend to "team up with you", this is a huge help if you can find someone that you communicate well with. They can provide you cover to allow for movement and will have your back.

I have seen really good players with phantoms, you have a very light set up, and once the trigger is broken in, it is not that bad. The trigger on a new phantom is horrid. I just prefer open class over stock class.

Open Class Set up:

Hoppers: Winchester (if you can find one), APP 50 rd hopper or Sport-shot 100 rd hopper.

Pack: Paintball Mafia 5/50 pack, you will also need 50 rd pods, APP makes these.

If you are going to play stock class, the Paintball Mafia joyride would be my choice, run the 10 rd tube capless. I would probably use a 3.5oz CO2 tank on a vertical feed (if you have the VSC phantom, remove the bucket changer/adaptor and screw in the tank).

Also, if you run a phantom, get the barrel freak bored and the ASP dedent mod is a huge plus. You can ship your stock class body to ASP for the dedent mod and they can drill the barrel.

With a CCM/Sniper, you will also need a barrel kit or a freak bored barrel to prevent roll outs.

With my S6, there are very few times I feel out gunned, I have no problems going head to head with an electro, I don't always win, but I don't make it easy.

PM me with any questions.
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:25 PM #15
g35x
Pump Player

You don't HAVE to play pump to save paint. If you walk onto the field with only a hopper and 1 pod, you won't shoot more than a hopper and 1 pod even with an electric marker. You can just force yourself to shoot less with your current gear, that is an option, rather than spending a bunch of money you don't want to spend on new markers and gear.

Half the reason I play pump is because even when I played with an electric marker I was shooting less than 2 pods per game, so the adjustment was easy, and pump markers are more reliable so I figured why not. I didn't do it because I felt like I had to spend money in order to save money.
g35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM #16
sniper97

has been a member for 10 years
I guess it is possible, I have always shot more with an electro than a mech and more with a mech vs. pump. Bottomline, I play pump because I like it the best. The cost savings is a plus.
sniper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:13 PM #17
Bigd128

I pulled the trigger on the phantom I'm super happy gonna be out at sc village this Sunday anyone wanna join or meet up and give some pointers thanks y'all for the help!!!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM #18
Slayer8
Blop Blop Blop

Slayer8 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Congrats, have a blast. Dont get down if you dont do so great the first time

The hatchet has been buried

Big ballers converge, cookies here
Slayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM #19
Bigd128

Quote: