PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-10-2007, 02:51 PM #1
smuggle_fcoke (Banned)
hurf ah durf durga

Working At Sears

well i have an interview at sears this upcoming thursday. one thing im pretty sure they frown upon are piercings and whatnot. I have no problem removing my lip rings and eyebrow ring and whatnot. But I have 1 inch gauges. I know thier gonna look at me and say no once they see them. And holes in your ear like that dont exactly lose up quickly. Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions that I could discuss with my interviewer about the topic. I really need a new job and this is the only one that has accepted my application so far. Hell I'm even thinking bout going to a company quickly, having them make me custom glass gauges with the sears logo inside them and ask if theres no other way, if those would be acceptable. Lol...but seriously, thier hiring a whole new sales team, and I already have the edge on some people work wise and expierence wise, but appearance is also a major major thing, and everybody has that over me cuz of my gauges and whatnot. Its not exactly accepted in a higher quality place like that.

tl;dr
interview at sears, i have 1inch gauges which 99% sure, arnt acceptable and will get me refused to get the job, need suggestions for things i can discuss with interviewer about them to not hurt my chances at the job.
smuggle_fcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM #2
pbpro9118

not hireing you for what u look like is discrimination if they dont hire you file a report. theres an ignorant way to do ****
pbpro9118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:45 PM #3
automagwarrior

has been a member for 10 years
automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpro9118 View Post
not hireing you for what u look like is discrimination if they dont hire you file a report. theres an ignorant way to do ****
No its not. There are plenty of companies that have dress codes that require males not to have piercings or females to have just their ears, or no facial piercings. Its a saftey hazard and it projects the image of their company through their employees. About 99% of the time I wouldn't even think about hiring someone who had their ears guaged and facial peircings, unless they really, really] had a leg up on the other applicants.

Not hiring you because your black, jewish, white, is discrimination.

Last edited by automagwarrior : 09-10-2007 at 08:47 PM.
automagwarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 09:10 PM #4
smuggle_fcoke (Banned)
hurf ah durf durga

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagwarrior View Post
No its not. There are plenty of companies that have dress codes that require males not to have piercings or females to have just their ears, or no facial piercings. Its a saftey hazard and it projects the image of their company through their employees. About 99% of the time I wouldn't even think about hiring someone who had their ears guaged and facial peircings, unless they really, really] had a leg up on the other applicants.

Not hiring you because your black, jewish, white, is discrimination.

exactly. the dress code is what im worried about. I remember talking to a guy with 1/4'' gauges that worked there. He said that they hated it, and it wasn't acceptable, but he had a huge edge over the rest of the employees, so they let it slide a little bit.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 PM #5
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggle_fcoke View Post
exactly. the dress code is what im worried about. I remember talking to a guy with 1/4'' gauges that worked there. He said that they hated it, and it wasn't acceptable, but he had a huge edge over the rest of the employees, so they let it slide a little bit.
Okay I know where your coming from. My buddy went through this as soon as he turned 18. He got a couple tattoos which we now (as adults) refer to as "career killers" meaning they are on his lower forearm, very visible. Most employers dont like that. Same with your gauged ears, eyebrow and lip rings.

My friend would take his lip rings out for work as part of a saftey concern. After a while of taking it out, he didn't miss it. So he left it out. Same thing happened at another job with his guaged ears.

Basically the bottom line is, that you need to become an adult sometime soon. Weather its your idea of "conforming" or you just like the look of piercings and that stuff, sometimes you just need to get rid of them.

If you really, really like them wait and keep them in mind. You might be able to find a career path that allows you to keep them later in life. But for right now, you'll make a much better impression if you appear to be clean cut. Just do your own thing when your not on the job.
automagwarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM #6
smuggle_fcoke (Banned)
hurf ah durf durga

my ears are at the point though where it would take surgery to close the holes
i had them at 2 inches, but after awhile i took it down to an inch when i started a factory job, due to safety. they stay stretched really big no matter what. I can keep them out for 2 weeks and still put the inchers right back in. If any store in my local mall decides to start hiring again, I can easily get a job there, seeing as literally 60-65% of all workers there have gauges, tats, and piercings everywhere. Its really big in my area, so is the hardcore and metal scene.

EDIT: And I'd hate to go back into food service, but I'm inthe process of finishing my culinary arts class, and worked a local deli/pizza/sub shop for 2 years, and worked as a line chef in a restaurant. I really wouldn't mind being a full time chef, and nobody has to look at me to say I don't meet dress code or I'm not portraying and reflecting how the company runs and whatnot.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:03 AM #7
not frodo
what

They don't care. At least at the one around here they don't.
not frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:32 PM #8
smuggle_fcoke (Banned)
hurf ah durf durga

I got the job!

Now I can finally get another apartment!

EDIT: btw, with the gauges situation, I took out the one inchers, and temporarely threw 5/8'' with a nice looking design in them. They actually looked really good and went well with what I wore and whatnot. I asked a few questions about the dress code and about piercings. I was told that my ears(as they saw) are really pushin the limits, and I'm lucky I have such a huge edge over other people who applied and got interviewed. So for each shift I'll have to put smaller ones in. When my ears are just chillin without anything in them, it fits the smaller ones perfectly. Anyways I'm gonna try and get some sleep. Party hard all weekend, and start training next Monday.

Last edited by smuggle_fcoke : 09-13-2007 at 11:36 PM.